Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2016 2:42:06 PM EDT
Looking at them now mainly for recreation but also because of nagging pain.  Old injuries plus getting older too.  

Anyone use one and what do you recommend?  

Interested in the plug and play models that don't require extra wiring.  Dream Maker is one brand with good reviews but I don't know if it would hold the water temp up well in the winter.  

Could always use it for hydroponics!
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 6:20:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I  can't offer any advice about manufactures or plug and play versions as our house came with a built in hot tub.

However I can say that for relieving aches and pains they are freaking great!  I'm a busted up 50+ year old and most everything hurts on any given day.  I also lift iron on a regular basis, nothing better than a soak in the hot tube after a heavy session in the gym.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 12:04:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I  can't offer any advice about manufactures or plug and play versions as our house came with a built in hot tub.

However I can say that for relieving aches and pains they are freaking great!  I'm a busted up 50+ year old and most everything hurts on any given day.  I also lift iron on a regular basis, nothing better than a soak in the hot tube after a heavy session in the gym.

Semper Fi
View Quote
Came here to say similar, but I'm not yet THAT old :

We bought an old one, hooked it up, and it worked relieving my back pain.

Stopped using it once we installed the whirlpool tub in the house, much cheaper/easier to just fill the tub instead of keeping the hot tub going. They do make 2 person whirlpool tubs, if that is what you are looking for . Even a bit of remodeling would likely be much cheaper in the long run than keeping a outdoor hot tub full, sanitized, heated, etc.

The only advantage of the outdoor tub I now see is if you like to bathe with friends. I don't like to bathe with friends
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 12:16:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I would recommend against the plug and play as most are 110v and cannot run both heat and circulation.  They are also typically around the 200 gallon range and will lose heat rather quickly.

As for brands. I have had both Caldera and Jacuzzi.  The jet configurations on the Caldera were better for more of a beating massage.  My wife doesn't think the Jacuzzi beats her back as well as the other did.

I recommend shopping around and most places will have floor models for test dips.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 2:33:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I recommend a friend with a hot tub over a hot tub.  Much less of a headache.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:12:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:Stopped using it once we installed the whirlpool tub in the house, much cheaper/easier to just fill the tub instead of keeping the hot tub going. They do make 2 person whirlpool tubs, if that is what you are looking for . Even a bit of remodeling would likely be much cheaper in the long run than keeping a outdoor hot tub full, sanitized, heated, etc.
View Quote

This appeals to the not overly social tightwad in me.  It is there when you want it, nothing to fuss over when it isn't.

And it is inside the house.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:51:45 PM EDT
[#6]
If you get one get it sized for bigger than you think you want. If you get one run it at 240 V, cheaper and more efficient. Ground fault 240V breakers are about $100-125.

If you don't mind working on one, buy used and save the cash. If not buy from local dealer. I have had Hot Springs and Caldera. All 8+ person, where fun at the time. Have a home with a pool and probably will get another. The last 2 where sold with the home.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:32:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Great info guys.   Much appreciated!  

Listening to you and doing some research I think I'll go take a few test runs at a local place.  They have used refurbished tubs as well.  

I'm not prone to hot tub it with a bunch of folk LOL.   Just girlfriend and maybe my kids.  Used my brothers last winter in the snow and it was great for my back and shoulder.    Only problem is he lives over 3 hours away.  

He's a good resource on it too.   Thanks again for the input.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:12:29 PM EDT
[#8]
When you find one you like, schedule a test soak. It's the only way to know if it fits you. I have back problems and it really helps. I bought a new Bullfrog spa last year. They are made locally and the interchangeable jet pack system makes it customizable. Got the factory tour as well and the construction makes the most sense to me.
You can get a spa breaker box at Lowes for about $75 with breaker included. Some conduit and wire and its a DIY setup.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:36:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:31:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Okay I'm clueless but want a hot tub and am reviving this thread.  Is this spa breaker box  like the one beside my water heater?  With a pull-out thingy that interrupts the circuit if necessary?  

And for you who have hot tubs, I have a couple of questions.

1-Is yours OUTSIDE? Like...you use it in the winter and it's outside your home?  

2-How much do you think you pay monthly to keep it heated OVER what you would pay without it?  

thanks for any input.

kitties
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

When you find one you like, schedule a test soak. It's the only way to know if it fits you. I have back problems and it really helps. I bought a new Bullfrog spa last year. They are made locally and the interchangeable jet pack system makes it customizable. Got the factory tour as well and the construction makes the most sense to me.

You can get a spa breaker box at Lowes for about $75 with breaker included. Some conduit and wire and its a DIY setup.

Okay I'm clueless but want a hot tub and am reviving this thread.  Is this spa breaker box  like the one beside my water heater?  With a pull-out thingy that interrupts the circuit if necessary?  

And for you who have hot tubs, I have a couple of questions.

1-Is yours OUTSIDE? Like...you use it in the winter and it's outside your home?  

2-How much do you think you pay monthly to keep it heated OVER what you would pay without it?  

thanks for any input.

kitties
The spa breaker box is just a sub-panel with a single circuit for the spa.

ETA: As far as the power consumption, we had a 120VAC unit (convertible to 240VAC) and a 15 amp breaker wasn't enough and would trip. Needed a 20 amp.

Keeping the heat on was....expensive. Took HOURS to heat it up. Why we gave up and put a whirlpool in the house.

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:21:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Hot Springs

My first one lasted from 1990 to 2012 and I bought it 5 years old.

I am on my second one now I bought new in 2012

Very energy efficient

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:20:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Here to parrot do not get plug and play.  Get a 240V model and deal with the wiring.  

Otherwise, everytime you use the circ pumps the heater will shut off.  Also, the 240v model is cheaper to run.

We have a Jacuzzi premium we bought in 2005 and it really helped me with my back issues.  It recently stopped working but I'm positive it's just the flow sensor and I have the replacement to put in.

Otherwise, the circ pump died a few years ago and a couple of air buttons quit working.  No other issues than that.

Hot Springs and Jacuzzi are both quality brands.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:55:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll be the odd one out and suggest a snorkel hot tub. Cedar tub, no chemicals, wood fired.  I love it, bought a used one for I think 200 or 300 bucks. Can really get the temp up there, if you like it hot (or lose track of time)
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:17:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:51:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:54:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:58:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:08:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Loon_138, will you talk more about this?

So you have a wood tub, and it is heated with a wood fire?

I would like to know more.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll be the odd one out and suggest a snorkel hot tub. Cedar tub, no chemicals, wood fired.  I love it, bought a used one for I think 200 or 300 bucks. Can really get the temp up there, if you like it hot (or lose track of time)

Loon_138, will you talk more about this?

So you have a wood tub, and it is heated with a wood fire?

I would like to know more.

Snorkel tub website

The stove loads from the top, and is submerged in the water.  It is fired by wood, and is a lot more hands on than a conventional tub.  It requires a few stokings to get it up to temp, more when it's cold or the first time, as you're heating it up from whatever temp your well water is.  Since there are no jets, you need to stir the water periodically while heating to ensure even temp.  A Conor paddle works well for this, though I've read of some people using aquarium pumps to circulate the water.  

The water needs changing about every week or 10 days if used often, since chemicals are not used.  Mine is uphill from the garden, and can be used to irrigate if needed during draining.  

The extra effort is worth it, to me at least.  The experience is unlike a conventional tub....silent, still water, hot...outside looking at stars, or snow, or below zero temps

Prices new are up there, mine was used, and even if the tub eventually needs replacing, the stove is good to go for years
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 7:29:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Another vote for a Snorkel Stove.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top