Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2016 1:08:33 AM EDT
If you buy whole wax-sealed cheese wheels, how long will they keep? Can you wrap them up and put them away for a few years?
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 2:01:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 1:13:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Thanks for the link. Very interesting
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 3:13:03 PM EDT
[#3]
They say the temp is 39-86 degrees for storage so a basement up here should do just fine. Just stack em on the shelves
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 10:53:46 PM EDT
[#4]
The cheese wax looks really easy to do.

When you get a block that is down to a convenient amount, you can grate and freeze it then vacuum seal it.  The grated cheese works great for cooking with.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 11:32:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Interesting stuff.  OP, what cheeses were you planning to try this with?
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 6:27:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Was just going buy generic pre-waxed chedder, mozzarella, etc. Every day cheeses. Just to have something other than rice, beans and pasta.

ETA: nothing expensive or crazy. I've seen cheap gouda wheels too.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 11:37:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Was just going buy generic pre-waxed chedder, mozzarella, etc. Every day cheeses. Just to have something other than rice, beans and pasta.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool.  When things die down in the garden this fall, I'd like to try this as well.  Cheese goes great over beans and then melted.  I'll take a can of Bush's Baked Beans and put some slices of cheese on top and then heat it.  Tastes good.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 2:06:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Cool.  When things die down in the garden this fall, I'd like to try this as well.  Cheese goes great over beans and then melted.  I'll take a can of Bush's Baked Beans and put some slices of cheese on top and then heat it.  Tastes good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I was hoping there was like 1 lb wheels I could buy and just start stocking up on my favorites since cheese is exposed the moment you open it up.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

not trying to hijack but do you have LARD
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 3:38:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do I need lard? And just watched some videos on how to MAKE cheese. seems easy enough. Might try my hand at making some mild cheddar and aging it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 1:44:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Why do I need lard? And just watched some videos on how to MAKE cheese. seems easy enough. Might try my hand at making some mild cheddar and aging it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

well if you're storing rice and beans for some sort of preps wouldnt you rather have it taste 1000% better AND have fat as a reasonable macro percentage ? For $40 you can add 200,000 calories to your preps. Its shelf stable.

I just notice people storing basically carbs (with a low but survivable protein content) but not fats.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 11:08:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

well if you're storing rice and beans for some sort of preps wouldnt you rather have it taste 1000% better AND have fat as a reasonable macro percentage ? For $40 you can add 200,000 calories to your preps. Its shelf stable.

I just notice people storing basically carbs (with a low but survivable protein content) but not fats.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For how long?  I know saturated fats (coconut oil, lard) are much more stable than unsaturated fats (olive oil), but I think it would be easier to start with a smaller amount and rotate.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 10:36:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

For how long?  I know saturated fats (coconut oil, lard) are much more stable than unsaturated fats (olive oil), but I think it would be easier to start with a smaller amount and rotate.
View Quote

rendered fat should store basically forever, especially is in an airtight container.

I have one box I use from and one split up and vacuum sealed. Its in a plastic bag in the box  it comes in. The only part exposed to air is the top surface when you open it

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 2:04:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

rendered fat should store basically forever, especially is in an airtight container.

I have one box I use from and one split up and vacuum sealed. Its in a plastic bag in the box  it comes in. The only part exposed to air is the top surface when you open it

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top