Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2016 12:39:52 PM EDT
Due to an unforeseen necessity I need to plant my garlic by mid-September or I won't be able to plant it this year; I know that's really pushing it on being too early. Is it going to be that detrimental to plant that early? I really hate to lose what I've worked up to (planting from my own stock for several years now).
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:04:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm thinking you are close to 1-1.5 months early.  You'll probably get too much top growth going into winter.  Your odds of getting a good crop next year will go way down.  

If you aren't available to plant, could you prep everything and just get someone else to plant/cover at a better time?

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:44:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm thinking you are close to 1-1.5 months early.  You'll probably get too much top growth going into winter.  Your odds of getting a good crop next year will go way down.  

If you aren't available to plant, could you prep everything and just get someone else to plant/cover at a better time?

View Quote

I would like to do it that way but I don't think it's going to work out... I'm going to try.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:27:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:52:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It's too early, but probably the worst that will happen is you have frost bitten and deformed tops next spring.  Better to plant late than early though.
View Quote

Is December too late then?

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 6:29:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 11:09:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Depends. Early December (like the first week) would probably still work if the ground isn't frozen.  I've planted in November before due to having a wet fall and didn't have any issues.  

You could always hedge your bets and plant half early and the other half late and lets the chips fall where they may.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's too early, but probably the worst that will happen is you have frost bitten and deformed tops next spring.  Better to plant late than early though.

Depends. Early December (like the first week) would probably still work if the ground isn't frozen.  I've planted in November before due to having a wet fall and didn't have any issues.  

You could always hedge your bets and plant half early and the other half late and lets the chips fall where they may.

Might could pre dig the area, put the soil in a wheelbarrow and keep it in the garage. Then plant it late. I dont know much about garlic. I just read every thread about it for when I have a garden again.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 11:41:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Depends on the type of garlic . Do you know what variety it is as there is around a dozen or more varieties ? They are generally divided into 2 groups which dictates the planting season .
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 9:17:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Depends on the type of garlic . Do you know what variety it is as there is around a dozen or more varieties ? They are generally divided into 2 groups which dictates the planting season .
View Quote

All hardnecks, Belarus, Chesnok Red, Music, & Siberian are the 4 that I grow.

Planting 1st week of December may be tough, 2nd week could probably be done. I can till now and cover with straw to protect the ground from freezing; although freezing shouldn't be a problem until later December where I'm at (unless we have an unusually cold winter).
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 9:31:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in North Western VA and planted garlic in late Oct, mid Nov and early Dec, all grew great.  Some of the early plantings did freeze back a bit.  The Dec plantings were in moderately composted horse bedding which kept the soil a little warmer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top