Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2016 8:41:23 AM EDT
Do you guys remove your battery in the winter and store them where they won't freeze.

I am new to riding mowers and mine went bad, it was only 2.5 years old.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:08:52 AM EDT
[#1]
As long as it has a good charge, it will not freeze.  If you don't plan to maintain the charge, it would be a good idea.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:51:23 AM EDT
[#2]
A battery tender or trickle charger will also work well and prolong the life of the battery.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:11:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:22:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I run a battery tender on it and other batteries that aren't used year round - boat, convertible, etc.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:34:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A battery tender or trickle charger will also work well and prolong the life of the battery.
View Quote

This, a single battery tender is cheap.

I just got done wiring in one of these in my grandpa's deckboat, waterproof dual battery float charger

With one of these in a convenient panel to plug an extension cord.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:00:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Mower Batterys go flat after 2-3 years. Dunno why, but they just do.
Cheap ones, pricey ones, Interstate, Generic, store brand. Doesn't matter.

I used to pull them, and keep them in the chem shed that is kept above 40F.
Still went flat after 2-3 years.
Tried a maintainer, and they still crapped out after 2-3 years.

Now I just put the maintainer on the battery in the Mower so it wont freeze, and accept 2-3 years.
This last one made it three, but fall is coming, so who knows.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:10:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Mower batteries are pretty flimsy.  Put a real car battery in if you can find one that'll fit.  Otherwise, just plan to replace regularly.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:48:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I asked a similar question on a mower forum and was recommended this Husky from Tractor Supply.

350 CCA versus 225 or whatever crap most mower batteries are.

6 month warranty versus 30 days for most mower batts.

Hope that helps. I haven't yet replaced mine, just did my homework in advance.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:53:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been using the same AGM battery in my ZRT for 3 years. Don't charge it or disconnect it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:59:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I will put a Odyssey battery in my JD after the one that's in it is dead.
http://www.odysseybattery.com/design_advantages.aspx

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 6:17:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Looks like you get double the life expectancy at triple the cost.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:06:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can get a PC535 or PC625 battery for around $115 bucks. Its a good product made in the USA.  $20-$30 lawn mower / tractor batteries are junk.

They claim it can sit for 2 years before needing a charge, and give it a 3-10 year service life.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You can get a PC535 or PC625 battery for around $115 bucks. Its a good product made in the USA.  $20-$30 lawn mower / tractor batteries are junk.

They claim it can sit for 2 years before needing a charge, and give it a 3-10 year service life.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I usually buy Exides, from Tractor Supply.  I've had my garden tractor since 1991, and I've probably put 4 batteries in it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:58:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the info guys!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:45:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I seem to only get a couple of years out of a battery.  I start the mower up and let it warm up a couple times each winter and, when I think about it, I put the trickle charger on it for a day to top off the charge.  I guess I need to go buy another trickle charger and just leave it hooked up during the winter months.  We start mowing, around here, in early to mid April and mow the last time in November, so it doesn't sit more than a few months.  I've had my car sit for over two months before, in the winter time, with no issues (fired right up when the doctor gave me permission to drive again).
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:44:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I seem to only get a couple of years out of a battery.  I start the mower up and let it warm up a couple times each winter and, when I think about it, I put the trickle charger on it for a day to top off the charge.  I guess I need to go buy another trickle charger and just leave it hooked up during the winter months.  We start mowing, around here, in early to mid April and mow the last time in November, so it doesn't sit more than a few months.  I've had my car sit for over two months before, in the winter time, with no issues (fired right up when the doctor gave me permission to drive again).
View Quote

Get a maintainer, rather than a trickle charger.  It charges as needed, rather than until there's no water left in the battery.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:28:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I guess at 25 bucks for a battery I didn't give it a whole lot of thought or worry if it lasted more than two years.  Lawnmower batteries suck and are priced accordingly.  You might squeeze a bit more out with a maintainer.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:38:01 PM EDT
[#18]
my 6 year old Kubota BX has the original OEM battery still in it -- no issues to date.

one thing, generally battery life is very temperature dependent.  heat is typically worse than cold.
this is why vehicles with trunk-mounted batteries can end up with really, really long battery lifetimes.

in my AO the yearly temperature swing is roughly 100 degrees so the battery in my BX is not living an easy life.
last week when i was mowing it was right at 95'F, and in the dead of January/February when i am using the BX to move snow it can drop to -5'F.

in the winter i use a Battery Tender, Jr to keep the battery topped.
the rest of the year there are no special measures taken.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:00:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I run a battery tender on it and other batteries that aren't used year round - boat, convertible, etc.
View Quote

This is the correct answer buddy!
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:27:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Same one I bought with the ZTR back in 2009 or 10.   Park it in the late fall, start it in the spring.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:39:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I typically get 4-5 years from fleet farm battries

We see temps from -25 to 100. I just drain gas and fog the engune. Battery stays installed, no maintainer. Fires up in spring.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:47:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Mower Batterys go flat after 2-3 years. Dunno why, but they just do.
Cheap ones, pricey ones, Interstate, Generic, store brand. Doesn't matter.

I used to pull them, and keep them in the chem shed that is kept above 40F.
Still went flat after 2-3 years.
Tried a maintainer, and they still crapped out after 2-3 years.

Now I just put the maintainer on the battery in the Mower so it wont freeze, and accept 2-3 years.
This last one made it three, but fall is coming, so who knows.

View Quote

It's the vibration that gets them
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top