BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 5:25:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pavelow16478] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

I'll add...a rototiller has its uses. I have one.

But it actually pulverizes the soil.

[ALERT--geek-like info dump below]

In extremely simplified terms, good soil, the way it forms over thousands of years, is actually not just a pile of single bits of anything.  It's composed of small "bundles" of stuff.  This includes bits of sand, silt, clay, bits of organic matter like leaves, grass, sticks, tons of microoranisms that move through the soil and consume those organic bits and poop out (I do mean extremely simplified, folks) other good stuff, etc.  An IMPORTANT part of this is that those little bundles are chemically active.  Think of them like a molecule instead of single atoms.If you remember any of basic chemistry (I know, mostly only geeks do)m molecules form largely because of the chemical attractions between the elements present.  The bottom line is that the chemical "attraction" that's present on those little bundles of soil stuff is what grabs onto and holds things like Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium, and the other essential plant nutrients necessary for growing things.

When you rototill, you bust up the molecule into smaller particles, breaking all kinds of chemical bonds, and basically, because the particles are so small now, any pressure is going to compact that soil WAY more than it would have if the particles were in original condition and had more substance.  More muscle.  

Those little bundles are what allow for good drainage.  The tiny particles don't drain nearly as well.  (Think heavy Georgia red clay, which is mostly the smallest particles you can get all packed together.)

It takes thousands of years to build those little clumps into something magic.  It takes only a few passes with a rototiller over a few seasons to completely destroy them.

Even gardening for many decades with a plow, disk and drag will pulverize soil.  The ground where I grew up was no longer as productive...it's no longer a good garden spot....after my folks gardened there for nearly 70 years.  

Rototilling is not the ultimate evil, but it is a tool that should be used carefully and not as a cure-all because it does the most damage per "pass" of the commonly available tillage equipment.  

"Aeration" is generally considered going in and making little holes (which is why the best aerators actually pull little plugs out) which allows roots and the soil bundles to sort of "spread out" which actually is "anti-compacting" if that makes any sense?

When you speak of "fluffing up" the soil, the best goal to go after is to loosen the structure enough to create a decent planting medium so the tender roots can penetrate it, but to leave as many of the bundles intact as possible.  

Okay I'll shut up now.  Sorry OP. I sort of can't help myself.

[/info dump]
View Quote

Cover crops  are an option as well
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 6:53:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#2]
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 9:38:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cucamelsmd15] [#3]
So, this thread saved me some headache. I called to get rip rap. Asked for the big stuff. Then I remembered someone in this thread saying "dont ask for the big stuff, because theyll show up with a tri-ax with a piece of rip rap and the truck at capacity". So I said, whats the big stuff? Oh, 12-36". NOPE.

So, thanks ARF.

Instead, I now know to ask for Class B, which is 6-12".

And thats about what 20.5 tons of it looks like. $800 delivered from Martin Marietta.

So, now the work begins...

Part of my strategic placement has been "places I want to slow water down" and "places I am too lazy to pushmow/weedeat".

And heres the real challenge...

My dad was kind enough to help me out part of Saturday, but Saturday and Sunday afternoon, I just started dumping with the intent Ill spread it out today.

The best I can figure is that Ill need another truckload at a minimum. Maybe two. The ditch on the left is 1/2-1/4 the width of the first one, so it should take substantially less rock.

Ive been half dumping and half hand placing. Not really placing, just spreading out to lock some of the pieces together.

Garden is in for the year. 9 rows of Blue Lake beans, a row of okra, row of broccoli, row of cucumbers, row of cabbage, row of brussel sprouts, two watermelon hills for my daughter and a couple of squash/zucchini plants. Oh, and a bunch of tomato plants. Cherry, Roma and Big Boys.

Also built a few flower beds with castle stone. I need to do the front flower bed, but Ill likely need 2-3 pallets of stone.

This is my last week of unemployment, so getting the ditches done is the big push. The rest are weekend projects at this point.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:04:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By cucamelsmd15:
So, this thread saved me some headache. I called to get rip rap. Asked for the big stuff. Then I remembered someone in this thread saying "dont ask for the big stuff, because theyll show up with a tri-ax with a piece of rip rap and the truck at capacity". So I said, whats the big stuff? Oh, 12-36". NOPE.

So, thanks ARF. 

Instead, I now know to ask for Class B, which is 6-12". 

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj240/cucamelsmd15/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170407_084808172.jpg
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj240/cucamelsmd15/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170407_084959909.jpg

And thats about what 20.5 tons of it looks like. $800 delivered from Martin Marietta. 

So, now the work begins...

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj240/cucamelsmd15/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170408_102621317.jpg
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj240/cucamelsmd15/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170408_111736538.jpg

Part of my strategic placement has been "places I want to slow water down" and "places I am too lazy to pushmow/weedeat". 

And heres the real challenge...
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj240/cucamelsmd15/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170408_111715219_HDR.jpg

My dad was kind enough to help me out part of Saturday, but Saturday and Sunday afternoon, I just started dumping with the intent Ill spread it out today.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj240/cucamelsmd15/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170409_155924040.jpg

The best I can figure is that Ill need another truckload at a minimum. Maybe two. The ditch on the left is 1/2-1/4 the width of the first one, so it should take substantially less rock. 

Ive been half dumping and half hand placing. Not really placing, just spreading out to lock some of the pieces together.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj240/cucamelsmd15/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170401_152913409.jpg

Garden is in for the year. 9 rows of Blue Lake beans, a row of okra, row of broccoli, row of cucumbers, row of cabbage, row of brussel sprouts, two watermelon hills for my daughter and a couple of squash/zucchini plants. Oh, and a bunch of tomato plants. Cherry, Roma and Big Boys.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj240/cucamelsmd15/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170325_145017674.jpg
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj240/cucamelsmd15/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170325_145032416.jpg

Also built a few flower beds with castle stone. I need to do the front flower bed, but Ill likely need 2-3 pallets of stone. 

This is my last week of unemployment, so getting the ditches done is the big push. The rest are weekend projects at this point. 
View Quote
Looking good!  Glad I saved you some headaches!  
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 1:02:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cucamelsmd15] [#6]
Haha, yeah, this HAS been my employment for the past few weeks. That and a ton of interviews. It has actually been welcomed because Id rather do some of this stuff now than in the middle of July and August. Those should be pool months, not schlepping stone around. 

Edit: No apologies necessary. Theres a thread in Team, but to say theres no love lost between the former company and I would be an understatement.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 5:15:20 PM EDT
[#7]
So, you know the mechanics gloves from China Freight?

Two pairs since Saturday. Rip rap just eats holes through the fingertips.

Also, getting out the waders to go wade through the little pond down by the culvert. More on that later. 
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:21:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:25:27 PM EDT
[#9]
So, what was goin on with the pond?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:37:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cucamelsmd15] [#10]
So, on the pond...

There was some concern of a spring under the road. I can safely say, that is not the case. The pond however, has to be fed by a spring. We borrowed a pump and genset and pumped the thing for two days. If you look back at my pictures, you can see where the discharge side has been dug out and the galvanized pipe, which has rusted out.

The good news is, on examination, the pipe running under the road appears solid. About 18" on the pond side needs some work, and the aforementioned rusted part needs replacement. It would appear that the pipe is horizontal under the road, then breaks on the culvert side. Id like to scope it, but assuming the pipe is good and clean, and I have reason to believe it is, Im inclined not to disturb it or the asphalt and fix the 18" or so on the pond side, along with the culvert side. My gut says if we disturb that, we will have ongoing issues for years.

Now, on to more fun stuff...

Had the HVAC guys out today to call a preemptive strike on the HVAC. We are going to rework a couple of issues with the upstairs unit, as well as go up 1/2 ton. The bonus room will lose its current 1.5 ton unit in favor of a one ton mini split that we will duct in. The downstairs stays the same. I fully expect this to come in at $12-$13k, but at the same time, not to cause me nagging issues like it has been. Based on my math, this should lop $60-70 off the power bill. We are running the AC right now for dehumidification.

I picked up an electric cooktop over the weekend. Lets play "count the code violations"

Good news is, it works and gets the canning out of the kitchen. And off the glass cooktop.

And then theres this:

41 tons of rip rap. Enough to finish the ditches and a couple of other problem areas I have.

Garden is looking good. Broccoli and beans are sprouting now. Gonna need to get on the fence to keep the deer out. They decimated a couple of my tomato plants.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 4:40:24 PM EDT
[#11]
That is a lot of rock!

Lookin' good.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 2:55:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Time for an update!

I havent touched the rip rap unfortunately. This whole being gainfully employed thing eats into your free time.  My plan is to dump and let my wife place on her days off or whenever I have a few free hours in the evening over the next few weeks. 

That is not to say things havent been progressing. We are on the board with the HVAC guys to do a full gut and install at the end of the month. I had a few options, ranging from basement bottom (outdoor units and coils only) to the pimpy variable speed everything. Pricewise, looking at $12k-$21k. I ultimately settled on two stage compressors for up and downstairs, variable speed air handlers with propane backups still (bleh ) and matched coils. All in, the price comes to $18.7k. That probably seems high up front, BUT, they are completely reducting the attic space. As in, take all the old stuff out and put new stuff (including dampers) in. So while I am pretty much breaking the bank, I shouldnt have to repeat this exercise in the next 15 years, and the variable speed fans and two stage compressors will hopefully solve some of the humidity issues we have along with evening out the house temperatures. On days like today with full sun, the front of the house is 3-4* warmer than the back of the house. Having the variable fans that run in recirc mode when no heating/cooling calls are active should help mitigate that. 

The garden has come in nicely (Ill get some pics this afternoon), but DAMN, its a weedfest. Doesnt matter how much we hoe, its like they pop right back up and it is maddening. Any sage wisdom on fixing this? Obviously, not going the route of industrial strength Roundup since its a garden area, but my Grandmother suggested straight old white vinegar with a pinch of dish soap. 

Lastly, we have been lucky with regular rain, but back in the fall, I had gutters put on the barn. Barn is a metal roof and I had the gutter guys cut and band a section about 6ft off the ground so I could add IBC totes for rain collection. Its time to put that plan in place. I can source 330gal IBC totes locally for $80/per, and I was planning on starting with two on the east side of the barn close to the garden. I have a 110v water pump to pump it where it needs to go, but now I need something to distribute. I thought about soaker hoses, but given the garden scale (40x175), it would require a lot of hose. Same goes for drip irrigation. So, my next thought was a couple of tripod sprinklers. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I love my dual fuel propane/heat pump. Only way to go IMO if you don't have natural gas available.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:29:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Dont get me wrong, I like having them as a backup and knowing I can heat the house for the (genset) cost of turning the fan, BUT, dealing with the propane company and their merry band of misfit assholes leaves a lot to be desired.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:31:42 PM EDT
[#15]
In other news, I get to find out how Husqvarna's warranty process is. I broke one of the hydro linkages on the zero turn tonight while mowing.

As an aside, even though ZT mowers have a hydro bypass, its like pushing a truck. 

More accurately, with the dew coming up on the grass, I had to put the ATV in 4WD. 
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:59:02 PM EDT
[#16]

The garden has come in nicely (Ill get some pics this afternoon), but DAMN, its a weedfest. Doesnt matter how much we hoe, its like they pop right back up and it is maddening. Any sage wisdom on fixing this? 
View Quote
Unless you planted your rows in a way to get a cultivator and tractor in there, you either keep doing what you are doing or you go the mulch route.  I just found a local place doing compost, mulch, and soil for $15 a cubic yard.  Usually around here it is around $40.

If you have woodchips or can get woodchips from a tree trimming company that would work well as too plus add to your soil.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:46:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#17]
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 12:34:01 AM EDT
[#18]

My mom (She will be 90 in October if she makes it that long) told me something really useful a number of years back.

If you keep at the weeds, eventuallly you win.  It gets easier each year after the first two or three.

I have found this to be true.

It falls outside the realm of my professional training, but it's still true.
View Quote
It is true.  Eventually the weeds use all their stored energy and can't come back.  I was working with the g/f on that front circle drive flowerbed and told her.  A couple weeks later she was frustrated and said the weeds had taken over everything.  But they were easier to clear out.  I'm chipping the mulch for that bed and it is taking a long time.  The weeds keep coming back but they are easy to remove.  Had we not done anything they would all have strong solid roots and be difficult to remove.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 7:21:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cucamelsmd15] [#19]
The HVAC war has just about wrapped up. The last offensive is tomorrow with the gaspack conversion and final touch up prior to county inspection.

This was the upstairs coil:

I quipped to the tech who usually comes out that Id rather do this than in July, and he replied "Im surprised that coil has made it this long". I touched one of the copper capillaries, and it was paper thin. So, this was a good call.
Out with the old...

In with the new...

They had told me previously the new units were HUGE, but they were not kidding. For size comparison:

The one on the left is a 2 ton unit. The one on the right is a 2.5 ton unit. A keen eye will note the drain on the far right in the previous picture. In the picture with the two new units, the far left is the upstairs heat pump and the right is the downstairs heat pump. The previous arrangement had the bonus room heat pump on the far left, the downstairs heat pump in the middle and the upstairs heat pump right below the window. That window is a master bedroom window. To say Im glad its gone is an understatement.

Also, a keen observer might note that there are now two units where there used to be three. Thats because the bonus room is now heated/cooled with this:

A ductless mini split. Between the unit and the fan up there, it keeps it nice and comfortable. I need UPS to deliver the lineset hider kit so I can touch it up. I put it in myself because, hey, engineer. I only have one tiny refrigerant burn to show for it. I downgraded from a 1.5 ton unit to a 1 ton unit so it dehumidifies.

On that subject, let me tell you guys something... I went with two stage outdoor units, variable speed blowers, and a two stage gas furnace downstairs and single stage upstairs. Both sets controlled by the Trane XL824 thermostat. BUT, in NC, being able to do dehumidify on demand is AWESOME. I keep the house a little warmer now because with ceiling fans, its just that much more comfortable, but the AC units go after the humidity first, and then temp. So yes, they do overcool in some instances by a degree or two, but the feeling of not having a "sticky" house is AWESOME. If I would have known this when we bought the house, I would have done it then.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 7:27:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cucamelsmd15] [#20]
On to the garden...

Good news and bad news.

Good news is, the beans and 'maters have LOVED the rain we've had lately.

Ive got Roma, Cherry and Big Boy all on the vines. Anyone have a good salsa recipe they'd share?

Now, the bad:

The foreground is broccoli, background is cabbage and brussel sprouts. While the broccoli sprouted, they have not flowered and I dont know why. And with the heat of June coming on, I feel like they may not flower at all.

The cabbage though has heads forming but the brussel sprouts seem to have hit a lull. I am thinking about replanting all three towards the end of July so I can try a fall harvest in cooler weather.

Also, my wife had the bright idea to take the weedeater to some of the taller weeds and we can hoe the rest. I knew theres a reason why I keep her around.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:51:08 PM EDT
[#21]
If you want canned/cooked salsa I just use the Mrs Wages packet as a base and add extra onion and fresh garlic to it.

Otherwise here are four different ways to make fresh garden salsa.  The lime juice and cilantro are the key ingredients to really bring out the flavor but that is just a personal preference.

§  4 cupsfinely chopped tomatoes
§  1/2 cupminced onion
§  1/2chopped cilantro
§  1 jalapenominced
§  1 teaspoon salt
§  1/2 teaspoon  fresh ground black pepper
§  1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
§  1 tablespoon lime juice

6 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped*
1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoon cilantro
Juice of ½ lime
Salt and pepper

1 lg. tomatoes, chopped
1-2 serrano chilies,chopped
1/3 c. green onions
2 tbsp. cilantro,chopped
2 tbsp. lime juice
1/4 tsp. salt

1/2 peck ripe tomatoes, chopped
2 med. onions, chopped
2 lg. green bellpeppers, chopped
2 Anaheim peppers,chopped
1 bunch fresh cilantro,chopped fine
3 jalepenos, choppedfine
4 cloves garlic,crushed
2 tsp. cumin seed
1 tbsp. salt
1/4 c. lemon juice
2 tbsp. sugar
1 c. water
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 4:43:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By SWIRE:
If you want canned/cooked salsa I just use the Mrs Wages packet as a base and add extra onion and fresh garlic to it.

Otherwise here are four different ways to make fresh garden salsa.  The lime juice and cilantro are the key ingredients to really bring out the flavor but that is just a personal preference.

§  4 cupsfinely chopped tomatoes
§  1/2 cupminced onion
§  1/2chopped cilantro
§  1 jalapenominced
§  1 teaspoon salt
§  1/2 teaspoon  fresh ground black pepper
§  1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
§  1 tablespoon lime juice

6 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped*
1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoon cilantro
Juice of ½ lime
Salt and pepper

1 lg. tomatoes, chopped
1-2 serrano chilies,chopped
1/3 c. green onions
2 tbsp. cilantro,chopped
2 tbsp. lime juice
1/4 tsp. salt

1/2 peck ripe tomatoes, chopped
2 med. onions, chopped
2 lg. green bellpeppers, chopped
2 Anaheim peppers,chopped
1 bunch fresh cilantro,chopped fine
3 jalepenos, choppedfine
4 cloves garlic,crushed
2 tsp. cumin seed
1 tbsp. salt
1/4 c. lemon juice
2 tbsp. sugar
1 c. water
View Quote
The second and last one looks interesting.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 7:10:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By jcarrel:

The second and last one looks interesting.
View Quote
The second one is usually what I put together.  The first one is basically the same but more of an "in a rush" version.  The peppers can be roasted as well if a person were to notice that flavor difference with all the other ingredients.  I tried it both ways and couldn't tell the difference.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 6:02:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 6:07:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 9:24:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cucamelsmd15] [#26]

OMGosh, is that mold on the fins in that old unit?
View Quote
Nope. They are tiny balls of dust that make it through the filter and then collect on the coil. If you touch one, it's like one of the dusty mushrooms in your yard, it just goes poof.

I'm not going to speak for ColtRifle, but I like the fact that mine are backups because of previously mentioned benefits of running off a generator. However, my supply company leaves a LOT to be desired, and that has me shopping for other providers. My wife on the other hand who is conditioned to the natural gas we had in our last house and not heat pump heat loves when they are on because the heat feels hot. YMMV and all that.

Edit: For the record, nothing is a threadjack here. I learn to from you guys, which is part of why I started this thread. You wanna talk about something, go ahead. 
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:33:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#27]

@ColtRifle if it's not too much of a thread jack (if OP doesn't mind) will you talk about your dual fuel unit?  This is the way my HVAC guy wants us to go when we have to replace (hopefully not for another three years at least, but the time...it cometh and lo, it cometh quickly)

I'm wondering whether you had something different before, and if so, what changes you saw to your electric and propane usage/bills when you went with the dual fuel.

Thanks in advance..

Kitties
View Quote
We built a house and installed it new. So can't compare directly in the same house. We built very efficient so that also makes a big difference.

The problem with heat pumps are several. Some heat pumps suffer from "dirty sock syndrome" in the winter. My last house did (all electric). Basically in colder temps the inside coil doesn't get very warm and funk starts to grow on it and causes a bad odor. With a dual fuel, the gas furnace gets very hot and heats up the inside coil enough to kill anything growing on it. So no funky odors.

Depending on your propane rates (currently $1.39 per gallon delivered but even cheaper in the summer...last year was .99 per gallon) it's likely cheaper to heat with electric when the temps are above 30*. But, the heat pump needs help below that so the resistance heat kicks in....and your meter starts spinning like a helo.

My heat pump still kicks out somewhat warm air at 30* but as the temp drops, the gas kicks on and is nice and warm.  The air from the vents always feels great.

We have a 2250 sq ft house well insulated. Our highest electrical bill has been just over $100 per month and the average is somewhere around $80 or so. We use about $25 average per month in propane...more in winter less in summer...and that depends on the going rate for propane as well.

The real key is the good insulation but the comfort and cost savings of the dual fuel blows away a straight heat pump.

Another advantage of the dual fuel is you need a big generator to run the heat pump but you only need a small one to run the furnace. In a power outage you can run the furnace with a small generator by turning the thermostat to emergency heat only and running just the gas furnace.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 9:05:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 9:06:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:21:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cucamelsmd15] [#30]
So, I have been busy...

This is one of FIVE canning runs we have made this year. Do the math. We picked the last few beans today and pulled the plants. We will snap about half and seed about half for next year.

I am not sure whats happened with cucumbers this year, and the zucchini also made an early exit. The cukes are yellowish, and not firm when picked. I dont know why. Theyre also horribly bitter. The last few have been green and firm and good to eat though. I dont know what caused this, but its caused me to toss about half of the cucumbers for these guys to eat...

Also, my makeshift canning setup has worked GREAT

I need to find a better way to attach the stove to something more solid, but the coil stove cut our cycle times from 3 hours to less than an hour if you hotpack jars and have the water in the canner hot. Thats made a HUGE difference for us. Plus less heat in the kitchen.

And lastly, have some cute overload.

A lady we go to church with comes every Tuesday and Saturday and gives her swim lessons here because the child has zero fear of the water. After a couple of lessons, shes gotten the basic doggy paddle and a butterfly-ish stroke down.

Next up out of the garden are going to be tomatoes. I clipped what few broccoli heads we got (Ill plant more for fall harvest in a month or so) and we got our first head of cabbage thats downstairs being cooked right now. We had a few brussel sprouts, but they are HORRIBLY bitter. Im thinking I planted too late and I need to replant now to do a fall harvest in cooler weather.

Also, code inspection has been conducted twice on the HVAC and failed both times. Not for fault of the HVAC guys, its a racket with the county.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:25:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Nice canning haul!
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:50:51 PM EDT
[#32]
I see Photofuckit has officially nuked all my pics. If anyone wants copies, let me know.

In other news, I have employed the help of my lovely wife to do rip rap. Ive dumped with the tractor, and she has spread. We are almost complete on the larger ditch on the driveway. The smaller should take significantly less time. The difference during thunderstorms is HUGE. HUGE. It was worth the effort.

Once we do the smaller side, my next project is a pergola on the pool deck and finishing some flower beds I started during my period of unintended vacation. 

Fall is going to focus on the barn. Building workbenches, organizing and framing out the bottom 1/2 are the primary focus.

I finally was present and read the riot act to the county inspectors for the HVAC, and it finally passed. Imagine that. 

First full month on the power bill lopped $40 off, and thats probably because I had an algae bloom in the pool that required a week of pump run time. Looks like I was about right on my $$$ calcs. 

I got a quote today for new driveway gravel. Doing a 3" pour over the current bed comes out to about 80 tons of gravel. Im going to go ahead and pull the trigger on that. 

People always ask me what its like having a house/homestead of this size, and I tell them its economy of scale. You buy a gallon of Round Up, I buy 10. You get a couple bags of gravel for the drive, I get a truck load. Maybe two. Its not for the faint of heart, but I wouldnt trade it for anything.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 12:49:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:00:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Right...

80 tons of gravel scheduled for next Friday. Another 80 tons after that for the parking pad and gravel pad behind the barn in a few weeks if I like the mom n' pop shop Im using this time.

We are now on the second month with new HVAC. Comparing heating days to heating days from last year, and now that Ive programmed the thermostats, the difference was $70. Thats a solid 1/3 of our power bill. Downsides of having 100% full southern exposure during the summer and all, but thats freaking huge.

Just for a second, Ill nerd out. When we bought the house, well, shortly after, I purchased a Samsung Smarthings hub. Perks of being an engineer and all, but writing code is second nature to me, so Ive automated a bunch of normal functions around the house, including presence based thermostats. But, Ive got to say, incorporating the security system along with the control mechanisms has been a HUGE benefit. Everything is automated. Having guests at the house like we recently did is as easy as pushing a button. The theromstats keep setpoints, lights, fans and automations run like they should. Its wonderful. I kind of love the whole home automation thing.

On to landscape maintenance...

Ive had an issue with my zero turn lately that I have yet to figure out. At 140 hours in a year and a half, Im sure a set of replacement blades will do it some good at this point. Currently, I am getting an uneven cut in places that I havent previously. Having sloped land, its a given that youll get it in SOME places, but its popped up in others where I previously didnt have an issue. 

Fall projects are finishing rip rap laying (its been too hot the past month or two), as well as redoing flower beds in the front of the house. Pursuant to the latter point, does anyone have experience with burying pipe that you feed gutters into and routing water away from the house foundation and/or flower beds for drainage purposes?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:00:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Right...

80 tons of gravel scheduled for next Friday. Another 80 tons after that for the parking pad and gravel pad behind the barn in a few weeks if I like the mom n' pop shop Im using this time.

We are now on the second month with new HVAC. Comparing heating days to heating days from last year, and now that Ive programmed the thermostats, the difference was $70. Thats a solid 1/3 of our power bill. Downsides of having 100% full southern exposure during the summer and all, but thats freaking huge.

Just for a second, Ill nerd out. When we bought the house, well, shortly after, I purchased a Samsung Smarthings hub. Perks of being an engineer and all, but writing code is second nature to me, so Ive automated a bunch of normal functions around the house, including presence based thermostats. But, Ive got to say, incorporating the security system along with the control mechanisms has been a HUGE benefit. Everything is automated. Having guests at the house like we recently did is as easy as pushing a button. The theromstats keep setpoints, lights, fans and automations run like they should. Its wonderful. I kind of love the whole home automation thing.

On to landscape maintenance...

Ive had an issue with my zero turn lately that I have yet to figure out. At 140 hours in a year and a half, Im sure a set of replacement blades will do it some good at this point. Currently, I am getting an uneven cut in places that I havent previously. Having sloped land, its a given that youll get it in SOME places, but its popped up in others where I previously didnt have an issue. 

Fall projects are finishing rip rap laying (its been too hot the past month or two), as well as redoing flower beds in the front of the house. Pursuant to the latter point, does anyone have experience with burying pipe that you feed gutters into and routing water away from the house foundation and/or flower beds for drainage purposes?
View Quote
Good to hear on the AC!  We recently replaced ours as well and we're hoping to see some benifit.

Have you checked the tire pressures on the ZTR?  In my experience when I'm getting an uneven cut that's the first thing I check and usually the culprit.

When I'm trying to get water from downspouts away from the house I usually run them into the schedule 35 green sewer and drain pvc pipe or the solid corrugated flexible black pipe.  Seems to work pretty well.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 3:10:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Sitting here on vacation and fretting about Irma and its potential impact on us. If the path holds true, it puts us 40-50 miles east of the eye. Some spaghetti models have it coming nearer than that.

So, Ive started my prep list. Vehicles full of gas, atv full, tractor full of diesel. Ill make a fresh batch of 2-stroke for the chainsaws when I get home. Bathtubs full of water, fresh batteries on hand for flashlights and lanterns. Gas cans full of gas, and propane bottles for the portable stove. Kinda glad I plumbed in the 330gal propane tank to the grill now. 

That said, I wish I wouldnt have fiddled around with a genset. I had planned on borrowing a friends 7500 watt Champion in the fall to see if it would start the well pump. Its a 9375 starting watt setup on gas and I have a theory it would work IF I werent running anything else. Its also a dual fuel unit, but I dont think my service would support running the genset and the furnaces at the same time. Would be nice to have the option though.

In other news, I had 85 tons of gravel delivered last Friday. I made it passable with the tractor with every intention to finish working it this weekend, but best laid plans and all...

The next week on the homestead will be interesting for sure.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 7:37:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 9:22:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Funny the difference 24 hours makes. Looks like the track is 500 miles west now, which means some rain and a breeze for us.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:20:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 5:55:51 PM EDT
[#40]
So, this happened:

85 tons of #57 stone. Good times. Covered the driveway in roughly 3" everywhere. 

Now, next question... I have confirmed the genset I mentioned previously works. It will run ONLY the well pump though, any other load when it starts the wellpump and it chokes. 

I am doing flowerbed renovations this fall, but I am contemplating putting the generator right here:

Why would that be a bad idea? Is it to close to the eaves?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:31:07 PM EDT
[#41]
How loud is the generator? Would it be a nuisance that close to the house?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:35:23 PM EDT
[#42]
It's loud, but I'd build a house for it. It's on the opposite side of the house from the master bedroom, so likely wouldn't hear it at all if it was running.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:17:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Forgive my ignorance, but what are the larger stone that line the drive for?
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:02:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Noise and exhaust fumes would be my concern.  If power is out in the summer you probably won't be running your central air and will have windows open.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:07:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By dnmccoy:
Forgive my ignorance, but what are the larger stone that line the drive for?
View Quote
A: to slow down water going down the ditch. Last year I lost a big chunk of driveway when the side collapsed into the larger ditch on the right during a big storm.

B: Im lazy and got tired of mowing/weedeating it. 
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:09:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By SWIRE:
Noise and exhaust fumes would be my concern.  If power is out in the summer you probably won't be running your central air and will have windows open.  
View Quote
Exhaust was my main concern. Our worst outage in summer has been a few hours. BUT, we have suspended power lines and NC gets ice, so winter is my main concern. If it were out in the summer, Id plug it in, keep the fridge and freezer running and take a dip in the pool until the power is back on.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:31:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Let me tell you guys about the joys of owning a pool.

So, for reference, the pool is 16k gallons with a 3/4hp pump and sand filter. The pump and filter are enough to turn the pool over for filtration in approximately 5.5 hours. I usually run it 8 for good measure, meaning the pump is on at 8ish pm and off by 4ish am. Ive done the bleach/borax/baking soda method for the past two years and its been great. Great water chemistry, perfect pH and chlorine, I add some calcium chloride to soften it a little, and its sparkling clear.

Sometime Friday evening/Sat morning, my multiport valve experienced a massive failure and pumped out the pool to the bottom of the skimmer.

In my case, the plumbing was crap anyway. Ill add pictures below from start to current state, but suffice to say, its ALL being redone. The big unknown is the pump. I suspect it is toast, but no way to know until I have a means to give it a supply and return.

So, one other caveat to this is that we are on well water. I get about 90 minutes of water before it draws the well down because our refill rate is so slow. Its taken me almost two days to get the pool back to minimum off the well, which means long term, its another plus for going to county water. That is a whole 'nother discussion for later.

Pics:
Pool piping when I started disassembling. Notice with the drain line, no way to disassemble without cutting it:

Valve that failed and disconnected chlorinator pipe that cant be unscrewed because of interference:

View 2:

Pipe cut, valve out:

Pipes cut. One of the things Im doing is adding unions for disassembly:

Current state as of tonight:

Since Im rearranging the whole dog and pony show, I may take this opportunity to convert the pool to salt. 
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:19:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Salt is always the correct answer. Hopefully the pump didn't run dry for too long.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 5:39:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Ive been quiet lately, but busy.

My goal at some point this weekend is to swap all the pics to imgur so they work again. 

I am at a crossroads on the genset. I had my heart set on buying one that could run the well pump. While my neighbors unit will start and run it, its not happy about it. So, Im back to waffling on what Im going to do. Bigger generators cost more to operate. Thats a given. Theyre LOUD. 

I took a step back and regrouped. Long term, my goal is to get the house on county water. With that in mind, I see myself having three options.

Option 1:
Champion 3400 watt dual fuel generator and a transfer panel
Cost: Approx $1500 all in
Pros: Sips fuel, inverter genset, WAY more quiet than a traditional genset, can run on propane (and I have a 330gal tank, so this is a BIG plus)
Cons: 120v only, additional expense for transfer panel, would have to define "wants" vs "needs" in terms of power

Option 2: 
Something in the 7500 running watt range
Cost: $800ish
Pros: Short of the well pump and/or water heater, it would run the entire house with room to spare. Would have an interlock kit, so Id just turn off stuff I dont need (well, WH) and leave the rest on. Easy.
Cons: Theyre LOUD, fuel consumption, couldnt do propane without worrying about freezing the line/tank if it were cold

Option 3:
Whole Hog Generac 22kw
Cost: Approx $5k if I do the installation
Pros: Its like you never lost power
Cons: Cost is a big one. Fuel consumption is the next. Id have to move up to a 500gal min propane tank, new regulators etc.

Right now, Im leaning towards Option 1. The biggies are the furnaces since theyre propane backups, the fridge and the freezer. Maybe a couple of light/outlet circuits downstairs. The rest I can deal with on an as needed basis.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 7:31:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Its only been a month, but I promise to swap the pics this weekend. 

In related news, my dad and I have undertaken building a new set of stairs for our sunroom/porch. We got extremely lucky and found a near perfect match in brick from a local supplier, so we have been working on that. Pics of that this weekend since we are hoping to be done Saturday if the weather cooperates.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top