Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2016 8:19:32 PM EDT
Started my first batch of jalapeño sauerkraut letting it ferment for a week then I'm going to can any pointers.

Family heirloom kraut cutter
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:25:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I just put mine in mason jars and threw it in the frige after fermenting.  I have pickled red pepper and cabbage and Kimchee too. I put some apple juice in the kraut to mellow it out a bit.

Since I usually put the kraut on dogs or pastrami sammiches, those jalapenos are a great idea!!  Red peppers sweeten it up and give nice color contrast.  

The only reason I made the pickled red pepper cabbage was because I didn't have time to make proper kraut for that round.

Alton brown had an episode on making kraut, chemistry and all that magic.  I bet you can google that up.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:30:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Red peppers that sounds great off to look up alton brown Thanks
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:57:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a big fermenting crock that does a good job and then transfer to jars but a friend just ferments in the jars and seems to do just as well.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:08:13 PM EDT
[#4]
A week isn't long enough.

Count on more like 10 - 16 days at 70 degrees.

For better tasting results, go at a lower temp and go longer. Keep it in the dark if possible.

Canning with heat, would be taking a step backwards in flavor and texture... I just throw it in the fridge.

I have fermented beets and kraut in mason jars in my fridge that are TWO YEARS OLD and still taste great.

If you get serious about it, get a big mason jar with a vapor lock lid (like beer brewing) and use that to ferment in. Otherwise "patting down" some seran wrap over the food first and then covering lightly will keep out the oxygen well enough.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:21:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Heres the recipe Im using says leave at least a week guess Ihttp://blog.westonproducts.com/2014/06/jalapeno-sauerkraut-recipe6.html?m=1 can taste it and go from there
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:54:39 PM EDT
[#6]
No advice and I've  never canned.
But I have had great success with this;
http://www.perfectpickler.com/

LOVE fresh kraut and kim chee!
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 4:17:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
That's the kit I have been using.  Considering getting two more for this fall.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 4:23:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Sub'd. I've been looking into getting into this for a while now. Maybe this will serve as inspiration
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 6:11:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Man I love kimchi now I gotta try making it
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 11:19:58 PM EDT
[#10]
My grandmother providing more raw materials for a 2nd batch

Link Posted: 8/7/2016 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I run a 5 gallon crock. Crock stays in cool room for 4 weeks and we check it. If it isn't ready we leave another week, and so on. Each year we've found that cabbage has different characteristics that require shorter or longer fermenting. We process in quart jars.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 5:44:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I run a 5 gallon crock. Crock stays in cool room for 4 weeks and we check it. If it isn't ready we leave another week, and so on. Each year we've found that cabbage has different characteristics that require shorter or longer fermenting. We process in quart jars.
View Quote

Rather than using a crock, would a food grade plastic bucket serve?
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 8:28:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 9:40:04 PM EDT
[#14]
1st batch is looking good went on a family camping trip for 3 days got back and the 2nd batch was covered in mold
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 9:57:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

1st batch is looking good went on a family camping trip for 3 days got back and the 2nd batch was covered in mold
View Quote
Air above will do that.

The mold will likely not hurt anything, scrape it off when it's done.

Also, for the future, if you take seran wrap and use very large pieces to cover the inside of the container and the top of the ferment you can avoid that.  Just gently press it down starting in the middle, squeeze out all the air and then have the wrap "climb" up the inside.

Ideally you would have NO air in there, but without special equipment you can't really do that.

A board cut to the inside diameter of your fermenter with a weight on it is the traditional way... then a loose cover on top to let gasses escape.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 10:00:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Air above will do that.  

Also, for the future, if you take seran wrap and use very large pieces to cover the inside of the container and the top of the ferment you can avoid that.  Just gently press it down starting in the middle, squeeze out all the air and then have the wrap "climb" up the inside.

Ideally you would have NO air in there, but without special equipment you can't really do that.

A board cut to the inside diameter of your fermenter with a weight on it is the traditional way... then a loose cover on top to let gasses escape.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Air above will do that.  

Its in a 3 gallon crock weighted down looked like scum formed on the top while we were gone and quickly turned to white /green mold
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 8:58:53 AM EDT
[#17]
" />

The Fido jars  work great. They let the gas out but keep the air from entering.  I can squeeze in 3 lbs of cabbage and a very small "ball" canning  jar on the top to keep it below the liquid.   You can see the rim of the ball jar under the lid of the Fido.  

Also a good read on fermenting is "The Art of Fermentation"  by, Sandor  Katz
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 1:34:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
http://<a href=http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u452/JT747/IMG_1550.jpg</a>" />

The Fido jars  work great. They let the gas out but keep the air from entering.  I can squeeze in 3 lbs of cabbage and a very small "ball" canning  jar on the top to keep it below the liquid.   You can see the rim of the ball jar under the lid of the Fido.  

Also a good read on fermenting is "The Art of Fermentation"  by, Sandor  Katz
View Quote

How do those let gas escape?
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 4:01:37 PM EDT
[#19]
here ya go.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gNbSoG5VKo

The rubber gasket expands enough to let gas out .
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 5:41:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Made a batch today. I used 1 lb of carrots . 3 types of carrots yellowstone , atomic reds  and  danver 126.   5 cherry belle radishes . 2 pounds green cabbage. 3 jalapeno peppers . I  used 90 grams of  Himalayan pink salt this time.  I should've backed that down to 75 grams+/-  . Its a little salty.  Tried something different this time also. I used the big cabbage leafs (from the outside of the cabbage) on the top of the sliced veggies instead of the small glass jar.  It seemed to hold everything down under the liquid very nicely. I think I will let this one go for 4 weeks .

I will do another batch over the weekend , maybe a spicy kimchi.  

Iowaredneck , that is a killer kraut cutter. Hang on to that one!

Thats 2 Jars of  modified (little hotter) BozemanMT pickles next to the ferment
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 5:50:31 PM EDT
[#21]
I put dried crushed Habaneros in my Bozeman pickles and they turn out awesome
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 6:46:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Your grandma is awesome. I never grew a cabbage that big.   Do like me some kraut though. Mine usually takes 4-5 weeks in the basement at +/- 58 degrees.  Separate crock for the pickles. That stuff is good from July to Thanksgiving (if it lasts that long) without canning.  Enjoy!  
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 11:19:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Your grandma is awesome. I never grew a cabbage that big.   Do like me some kraut though. Mine usually takes 4-5 weeks in the basement at +/- 58 degrees.  Separate crock for the pickles. That stuff is good from July to Thanksgiving (if it lasts that long) without canning.  Enjoy!  
View Quote

My grandmother is amazing 88 y/o big garden bakes bread every week chores every day sells eggs taught school in a one room school house last of her kind
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 7:14:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Like right out of the Foxfire books.  Good for her, and for you!
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 10:39:15 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u452/JT747/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160811_143952587.jpg

Made a batch today. I used 1 lb of carrots . 3 types of carrots yellowstone , atomic reds  and  danver 126.   5 cherry belle radishes . 2 pounds green cabbage. 3 jalapeno peppers . I  used 90 grams of  Himalayan pink salt this time.  I should've backed that down to 75 grams+/-  . Its a little salty.  Tried something different this time also. I used the big cabbage leafs (from the outside of the cabbage) on the top of the sliced veggies instead of the small glass jar.  It seemed to hold everything down under the liquid very nicely. I think I will let this one go for 4 weeks .

View Quote
One hint to go with your process.  Mix the brine water separately unless you are doing a dry-pack ferment (with very little or no water.)

Just mix your salt and water, then taste it.  When it tastes right, then use that.  The water in the veggies won't change it much.  Also, the specialty salts are usually best used in moderation. I don't like them much at all as far as flavor goes. I stick with kosher or pickling salt to start with then add a dash of something else if I want.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 4:39:34 PM EDT
[#26]
One hint to go with your process. Mix the brine water separately unless you are doing a dry-pack ferment (with very little or no water.)

Just mix your salt and water, then taste it. When it tastes right, then use that. The water in the veggies won't change it much. Also, the specialty salts are usually best used in moderation. I don't like them much at all as far as flavor goes. I stick with kosher or pickling salt to start with then add a dash of something else if I want.

I haven't  tried   adding water yet.  All the liquid is from the cabbage and carrots . I went with 90 grams of  salt because that is what I did on my red cabbage sauerkraut. It was also a different salt . I worked my way up to  90 grams of sea-90 sea salt on my red cabbage kraut ( turned out really good). This batch I started with 90 grams of the Himalayan pink sea salt , thinking it would be similar. when I mixed everything together and tasted it was a little bit salty , not inedible . I guess only time will tell how it turns out.  

I think im going to make another batch tomorrow, maybe I will try your brine method with kosher or pickling salt .

Link Posted: 8/13/2016 7:05:46 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

One hint to go with your process. Mix the brine water separately unless you are doing a dry-pack ferment (with very little or no water.)

Just mix your salt and water, then taste it. When it tastes right, then use that. The water in the veggies won't change it much. Also, the specialty salts are usually best used in moderation. I don't like them much at all as far as flavor goes. I stick with kosher or pickling salt to start with then add a dash of something else if I want.
I haven't  tried   adding water yet.  All the liquid is from the cabbage and carrots . I went with 90 grams of  salt because that is what I did on my red cabbage sauerkraut. It was also a different salt . I worked my way up to  90 grams of sea-90 sea salt on my red cabbage kraut ( turned out really good). This batch I started with 90 grams of the Himalayan pink sea salt , thinking it would be similar. when I mixed everything together and tasted it was a little bit salty , not inedible . I guess only time will tell how it turns out.  

I think im going to make another batch tomorrow, maybe I will try your brine method with kosher or pickling salt .

View Quote
I pack my jars really tightly and toss in just a smidge of salt on each layer.  Then I add the brine to fill in the air gaps.

You can also add brine, then a layer of the vegetable, and then another bit of brine, etc. to make sure you get even salt/brine penetration.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:16:42 PM EDT
[#28]
I've always just used 3tbsp pickling salt per 5lbs cabbage. I've never added water, just compressed the cabbage down enough that the juice it releases covers the top. 2 gal jar and a plate on top to weigh it down. 35-40 days in the pantry at ~72*.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:00:21 PM EDT
[#29]
I just got 4 lbs of traditional German sauerkraut started. I used a 3 Tbs sea salt : 5 lbs cabbage ratio for a 2.4 Tbs salt : 4 lbs cabbage.  I put in juniper berries and caraway seeds -- most recipes called for 1 Tbs ea., I put in a bit less.
For the ferment, I got this piece of kit:

They come in gallon and half gallon, I got the half gallon. I'm very happy with the quality of the kit.
The jar holds a maximum of 4 lbs of tightly packed cabbage.
Now to wait a long 4 - 6 weeks.
Edited to fix screwy formatting, etc.

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 1:39:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I just got 4 lbs of traditional German sauerkraut started. I used a 3 Tbs sea salt : 5 lbs cabbage ratio for a 2.4 Tbs salt : 4 lbs cabbage.  I put in juniper berries and caraway seeds -- most recipes called for 1 Tbs ea., I put in a bit less.

For the ferment, I got this piece of kit:

<a href="https://www.amazon.com/Cultures-For-Health-Fermented-Vegetable/dp/B015P7K7YQ" target="_blank">https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81C9wS%2BTC6L._SX522_.jpg</a>

They come in gallon and half gallon, I got the half gallon. I'm very happy with the quality of the kit.

The jar holds a maximum of 4 lbs of tightly packed cabbage.

Now to wait a long 4 - 6 weeks.

Edited to fix screwy formatting, etc.

View Quote

Thanks i need this in my life
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 3:50:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Glad to share.

By the way, it might be better not to cram a whole 4 pounds in there. It's bubbling away vigorously, and the airlock has overflowed a bit. I see no hint of mold or anything, just a mess I had to clean up / contain.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:00:54 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Glad to share.

By the way, it might be better not to cram a whole 4 pounds in there. It's bubbling away vigorously, and the airlock has overflowed a bit. I see no hint of mold or anything, just a mess I had to clean up / contain.
View Quote
Needs to be in a dish for over flow.

I sometimes wrap it in a towel or two, and slide in some cold packs (the blue ones) to keep the overall temp down.

Flavor seems to be smoother if you ferment slower.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:28:23 PM EDT
[#33]
My wife does this in a 5 gallon see through food grade bucket. Anyway mold is only ok if it's green. She will clean the mold out shortly after it starts to grow. If the mold gets to dark your batch is no longer any good. I don't know what recipe she uses but she let's it ferment for weeks. It usually has a really strong taste. Mmm I love it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:07:54 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I sometimes wrap it in a towel or two, and slide in some cold packs (the blue ones) to keep the overall temp down.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Glad to share.

I've got it in our basement, which should be =<70F. It's the coolest spot in our house.

And, yes, I've got it sitting in disposable aluminum pan now to catch anything else. Bet I won't forget that lesson. haha

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:29:37 PM EDT
[#35]
giving this sauerkraut a try today  http://www.fermentedfoodlab.com/jalapeno-cilantro-sauerkraut/  .
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:00:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
giving this sauerkraut a try today  http://www.fermentedfoodlab.com/jalapeno-cilantro-sauerkraut/  .
View Quote

http://www.fermentedfoodlab.com/jalapeno-cilantro-sauerkraut/
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 9:41:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Took my sauerkraut out today at 3.5 weeks. Soooo good -- I'm really happy with the results.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 8:46:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Following
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:11:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u452/JT747/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160811_143952587.jpg

View Quote

Cracked the jar on this batch today. The 3 jalapenos really sunk into everything . Very good! reminds me of a hot  Giardiniera on top a chicago beef sandwich .   Salt wasn't an issue like I originally thought.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top