Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2016 4:17:25 PM EDT
They sprouted after only 5 days and were about 3 or 4in tall this week, I came home yesterday and half of them were cut at soil level on the stem.  I came home today and lost a few more.  None of the leaves or stems are being eaten.  They are just laying there in the soil.  Yesterday I couldn't find any of the roots but today I found a couple little roots directly under where the sprout should have been standing.  Nothing else in the garden is being touched.

WTF is going on with the sunflowers?  What shitbag animal would snip off the stem and not eat it or the leaves?  Voles?
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 6:56:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 7:44:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Sunflower shoots are gone after by lots of critters.  Birds and squirrels will also go after the seed if it is still attached.  Fencing is probably the best option and plant far more than you think you need.  

Chipmunks are our biggest problem.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 7:59:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Damn that sounds like it could be it.  Don't want to use insecticides though
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 8:22:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Options, you haz them.

http://www.planetnatural.com/pest-problem-solver/garden-pests/cutworm-control/

https://attra.ncat.org/calendar/question.php/how-can-i-organically-control-cutworms
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 8:21:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Ok tried some paper towel tube collars for short term fix, we'll see after work today what happens.  I really think it's cutworms but the weird thing is, it says they feed at night and aren't active in the daytime, but the sunflowers were all standing in the morning, and cut down when I returned home from work.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 9:05:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ok tried some paper towel tube collars for short term fix, we'll see after work today what happens.  I really think it's cutworms but the weird thing is, it says they feed at night and aren't active in the daytime, but the sunflowers were all standing in the morning, and cut down when I returned home from work.
View Quote

My guess is chipmunks if you have them.  They love to nibble on seedlings like that but often will not eat it.  I have problems with them and voles, but voles usually feed at night and they usually eat bulbs.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 12:19:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My guess is chipmunks if you have them.  They love to nibble on seedlings like that but often will not eat it.  I have problems with them and voles, but voles usually feed at night and they usually eat bulbs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  Chipmunks & squirrels wiped out mine the couple of times I tried to grow them.  Took them down to get at the flower/seeds, didn't bother the plant, just ruined it and left them on the ground.
See my other thread about an Outback IID...
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 4:45:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Well the two sunflowers with cardboard collars were untouched but so were the two without them.  Not sure what's going on exactly.  Nothing else in the garden is being touched other than the butter lettuce is getting a little spotty with holes.  Everything else was transplanted though.  I did see several birds hopping around the garden before I went outside, but would a bird make a clean scissor like cut at the base of the stem like that?
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Now that it is clear it's a daytime occurrence, I'll back off the cutworm theory.  Though I did read that sometimes they may come out on cloudy days.  

I'll go with a small rodent as other have mentioned.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 9:17:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Now that it is clear it's a daytime occurrence, I'll back off the cutworm theory.  Though I did read that sometimes they may come out on cloudy days.  

View Quote

I have seen plenty of chipmunks and a mole or two around the backyard.  I don't get why it would clip the stems and not eat them?  And I found several of the shells today so those aren't getting eaten or chewed on.  Maybe it's the psycho neighbor kid fucking with me.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 2:00:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:28:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Kittie - great info and a video would be awesome!
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 9:54:17 AM EDT
[#13]
rat trap with some peanut butter.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 8:03:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I have seen plenty of chipmunks and a mole or two around the backyard.  I don't get why it would clip the stems and not eat them?  And I found several of the shells today so those aren't getting eaten or chewed on. Maybe it's the psycho neighbor kid fucking with me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have seen plenty of chipmunks and a mole or two around the backyard.  I don't get why it would clip the stems and not eat them?  And I found several of the shells today so those aren't getting eaten or chewed on. Maybe it's the psycho neighbor kid fucking with me.

They just do it.  I had them chew on my cucumber seedlings in the last week.  

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 9:03:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If your plants are felled like a tree, that is cutworms.

Here is how you deal with those.

I don't know if you can do it by this description, because I learned from watching my dad in tobacco, but if you can find the first one, you'll never fail to find the others.

So you find the last felled plant and go out in a grid pattern from there...

When a cutworm eats through a stem, they either burrow in right there beside the last plant they ate through, OR they move on to the NEXT plant they plan to eat, burrow into the soil, and sleep through the day. The next night, they get up, yawn, stretch, and dig out to eat through that stem.  Then they move on to the next, burrow in, rinse and repeat.

SO...find the felled stem, check the soil around it, and move out from there to the next plant.  

NOW...dig down beside each plant, starting with the felled ones. Just take your fingers and rake through the soil a couple of inches down (maybe three inches but probably not), watching carefully.  You only have to go three or four inches out from the stem.  They don't go far usually. The worm is the same color as your soil, pretty much.  Hard to see.  But he's there.   Watch for him.  He will be curled up usually.  Send him to the great pepper field in the sky.   (Be careful not to dig in to the root of your plant. The cutworm is not that close, and not that deep as a rule)  

Do EVERY FELLED PLANT, then move out in a grid-pattern to the plants that are THE NEXT CLOSEST STANDING TARGET and search around those.  The next morning you will only have to do a fraction of this, because though you may have more than one, you don't have thousands.  Cutworms don't work that way. They are Spec Ops.  A few cutworms do a lot of damage one plant at a time.  So as you find them, you've eliminated a large percentage of your problem. So you go out the next morning and see if you have any felled plants.  If you do, you've cornered the one that is there.  Start with that felled plant, then move out to all the NEXT CLOSEST STANDING TARGETS around it. They seldom skip a standing plant and go to the next one.

Does this make sense?

Okay, if I've confused you, ask questions.  I learned to save high-dollar tobacco crops this way, on a small farm where every plant mattered.

Cutworms hate me.

ETA:  I have considered doing a video of how to find cutworms this way.  It won't be any good for this year, but if people are interested, I'll try to get some late plants and see if cutworms hit them, then I'll make a video of how to find them.  So let me know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They sprouted after only 5 days and were about 3 or 4in tall this week, I came home yesterday and half of them were cut at soil level on the stem.  I came home today and lost a few more.  None of the leaves or stems are being eaten.  They are just laying there in the soil.  Yesterday I couldn't find any of the roots but today I found a couple little roots directly under where the sprout should have been standing.  Nothing else in the garden is being touched.

WTF is going on with the sunflowers?  What shitbag animal would snip off the stem and not eat it or the leaves?  Voles?

If your plants are felled like a tree, that is cutworms.

Here is how you deal with those.

I don't know if you can do it by this description, because I learned from watching my dad in tobacco, but if you can find the first one, you'll never fail to find the others.

So you find the last felled plant and go out in a grid pattern from there...

When a cutworm eats through a stem, they either burrow in right there beside the last plant they ate through, OR they move on to the NEXT plant they plan to eat, burrow into the soil, and sleep through the day. The next night, they get up, yawn, stretch, and dig out to eat through that stem.  Then they move on to the next, burrow in, rinse and repeat.

SO...find the felled stem, check the soil around it, and move out from there to the next plant.  

NOW...dig down beside each plant, starting with the felled ones. Just take your fingers and rake through the soil a couple of inches down (maybe three inches but probably not), watching carefully.  You only have to go three or four inches out from the stem.  They don't go far usually. The worm is the same color as your soil, pretty much.  Hard to see.  But he's there.   Watch for him.  He will be curled up usually.  Send him to the great pepper field in the sky.   (Be careful not to dig in to the root of your plant. The cutworm is not that close, and not that deep as a rule)  

Do EVERY FELLED PLANT, then move out in a grid-pattern to the plants that are THE NEXT CLOSEST STANDING TARGET and search around those.  The next morning you will only have to do a fraction of this, because though you may have more than one, you don't have thousands.  Cutworms don't work that way. They are Spec Ops.  A few cutworms do a lot of damage one plant at a time.  So as you find them, you've eliminated a large percentage of your problem. So you go out the next morning and see if you have any felled plants.  If you do, you've cornered the one that is there.  Start with that felled plant, then move out to all the NEXT CLOSEST STANDING TARGETS around it. They seldom skip a standing plant and go to the next one.

Does this make sense?

Okay, if I've confused you, ask questions.  I learned to save high-dollar tobacco crops this way, on a small farm where every plant mattered.

Cutworms hate me.

ETA:  I have considered doing a video of how to find cutworms this way.  It won't be any good for this year, but if people are interested, I'll try to get some late plants and see if cutworms hit them, then I'll make a video of how to find them.  So let me know.

Thanks for the info.  The few remaining sunflowers haven't been cut down, so I'm not sure.  I think it's cutworms but again, I lost the sunflowers between 8am and 3pm, and cutworms supposedly work at night.  I also read that they have a taste for bell pepper plants and my two haven't been touched although they were transplanted.

A video would be cool for future use.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 10:13:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Well I just lost half my remaining sunflower sprouts within the last 30 min.  The stem weren't neatly cut like before, more like snapped.  There is clear evidence of something digging at the roots and bird poop right next to the little dug out areas.  I'm going with birds.  Last remaining sprouts have collars.  Here's to hoping they make it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 12:50:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Put some chicken wire or netting over them untill they are larger. But, birds like sunflowers throughout the lifecycle, seeds especially.

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 11:26:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 9:29:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

yeah, that's weird.  Cutworms sure as heck are not digging around your plants. HOWEVER, don't rule out the possibility that you have TWO issues going on.  Cutworms (or worms of another kind) and birds going after something maybe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well I just lost half my remaining sunflower sprouts within the last 30 min.  The stem weren't neatly cut like before, more like snapped.  There is clear evidence of something digging at the roots and bird poop right next to the little dug out areas.  I'm going with birds.  Last remaining sprouts have collars.  Here's to hoping they make it.

yeah, that's weird.  Cutworms sure as heck are not digging around your plants. HOWEVER, don't rule out the possibility that you have TWO issues going on.  Cutworms (or worms of another kind) and birds going after something maybe.

Definitely.  I'm guessing a few of them started being dropped by cutworms and the birds moved in to clean them up?
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 2:37:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Maybe the birds are eating the cutworms.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 2:15:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 2:38:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That could happen.

No way to know of course.

In that case, the birds would be doing you a favor. But not if they are tearing down your plants.

Cutworms fell plants just like felling a  little tree cut with a teensy weensy chainsaw. It's a straight cut usually, and usually nice and even.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely.  I'm guessing a few of them started being dropped by cutworms and the birds moved in to clean them up?

That could happen.

No way to know of course.

In that case, the birds would be doing you a favor. But not if they are tearing down your plants.

Cutworms fell plants just like felling a  little tree cut with a teensy weensy chainsaw. It's a straight cut usually, and usually nice and even.

That is exactly what happened.  The first ones were like felled trees with no disturbance around the base.  The remaining plants were snapped off with a jagged edge and little holes in the soil where the base was.  I lost one today and it was still actually connected to the root with half of the stem, the other half was snapped off.  I am down to one sunflower left and it has had a collar the whole time.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 8:02:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Well my last sunflower seems to have made it.  It's almost taller than the grape tomato plants already.  It does have a Panera bread cup protecting the stem.  I'm wondering if it's out of the danger zone as far as pests, or should I continue to keep a collar around it?
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 12:22:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 11:36:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I was about to make some smartass remark about dumping Autumn Squash soup on there as a fertilizer ( I love Panera soup) but realized this was posted a couple of weeks ago.

So...how has The Last Sunflower made out?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well my last sunflower seems to have made it.  It's almost taller than the grape tomato plants already.  It does have a Panera bread cup protecting the stem.  I'm wondering if it's out of the danger zone as far as pests, or should I continue to keep a collar around it?

I was about to make some smartass remark about dumping Autumn Squash soup on there as a fertilizer ( I love Panera soup) but realized this was posted a couple of weeks ago.

Seems to have cleared all manner of pests.  It's up to about 4ft tall.  I had it staked with a splint and collared with the cup, should I remove those things now?
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 1:38:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 11:30:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Oh heck...I don't know anything about your growing conditions.

Do the supports appear to be binding the plant in any way?  Like...do you have ties around the stem?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems to have cleared all manner of pests.  It's up to about 4ft tall.  I had it staked with a splint and collared with the cup, should I remove those things now?

Oh heck...I don't know anything about your growing conditions.

Do the supports appear to be binding the plant in any way?  Like...do you have ties around the stem?

I took off the collar and splint.  I had a twisty tie around the stem and it almost sawed through the entire thing.  The stem grew around it though so now there is a twisty tie embedded three-fourths of the way through the stem
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:55:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 8:14:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Hoping to hear it is still standing strong.

View Quote

Up to about 6ft tall!
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:44:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top