Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2016 9:01:58 PM EDT
Just throwing this out there, don't want to bash this is just my experience with this hatchery.

So last year I got my daughter (10 at the time) three created ducks because she had wanted ducks for a long time and really likes them. They made it all the way until fall when what I think was a fox got into the yard one night and killed about six chickens and two of the ducks. Well about Christmas my daughter said the duck was lonely because we didn't have any other ducks and wanted to get more. I told her she could save up egg money (she sells our excess eggs at the homeschool co-op and and a few other places) and buy more in the spring.

So about two months ago she had plenty of money and decided to buy four ducks (minimum order size) and two pilgrim geese to take care of the ducks as far as some critters go. So she orders through Metzer Farms and the ducks arrived first, this isn't my my first or even fifth hatchery order but these birds where plain beat up when we got them and not doing well. I didn't think anything of it as far as the hatchery goes as the postal service doesn't treat them that great and I think it's inhumane anyway but there aren't any better options. Right off we noticed the ducks didn't look like the white created we got last year but figured it was the rough trip.

Next we got the geese, one was dead when it got here and again the other was really beat up and not doing well.  We contacted the hatchery and they offered to send another goose and a free duck if we paid shipping which sounded pretty good so we did it.

The last goose and duck showed up and didn't look too bad.

Now about 4 weeks has past since we got the first batch and these "ducks" are nearly as big as our chickens so we sent a picture to the hatchery saying we didn't think they where ducks. Long story short some very poorly written explanations came from the hatchery that were straight up rude. Wife finally called since I have an actual 9-5 and after that got an email appologizing and saying the customer service rep got my wife's email confused with another customer and they said they certainly where not chrested ducks and would move us to the front of the line for new ducks in the next shipment. We asked my daughter what she thought and she said she didn't want the ducklings to get hurt or to get more geese so she needed to think about it. Finally decided yes so we asked for the ducks to be sent and they should ship next Tuesday.

So long story short, first and last dealing with Metzer Farms is about done. Sorry for the long winded post.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:48:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry such a bad experience.

Are you able to purchase locally? Our local Runnings (farm and fleet chain) has ducks, geese, chicks, etc.,  in the spring, and takes special orders of available breeds. You don't necessarily have some of the rare breeds, but they have a good selection of "normal" breeds.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:43:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 6:49:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry such a bad experience.

Are you able to purchase locally? Our local Runnings (farm and fleet chain) has ducks, geese, chicks, etc.,  in the spring, and takes special orders of available breeds. You don't necessarily have some of the rare breeds, but they have a good selection of "normal" breeds.
View Quote

Talked to a few places here and none would order ducks or turkeys otherwise I'd absolutely buy local.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:53:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I have three orders from Cackle Hatchery and all have been fine. Turkeys and chickens for the most part. I get my ducks locally and hatch my own now.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 11:41:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I have ordered from Meyer Hatchery and Chickens for Backyards successfully with no issues.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 11:18:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have ordered from Meyer Hatchery and Chickens for Backyards successfully with no issues.
View Quote

That's who I have used with no issues.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 4:45:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Used Murry McMurry for years and had no issues.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top