Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2016 1:54:54 PM EDT
I need a 5x9-ish trailer that I can use to haul firewood and large stuff when needed, like car parts, lumber, steel, and the occasional lawn care products. I'd like a 1Ton+ capacity, single axle to save on tolls, but this isn't a sticking point -- I can do a tandem.

I've been trolling CL and local places for months. Nothing that's sanely priced for the quality.

I can weld. I have a couple welders (tig, mig, stick, fluxcore), grinders, saw, and a plasma cutter. I have a mechanical engineering background, and I'm not afraid to build something myself. I can get the steel I need for about $350, maybe less depending on what kind of prices I can get quoted locally. I've got a nice big shop I can build it in.

How much of a goat rope am I in for?
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 2:17:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like getting it registered and plated would be the hardest part then. Might as well make it tilt or dump with an electrical actuator motor while your at it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 2:20:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Find an old half ton (or whatever) pickup truck.

Chop the cab off, bend frames together, weld on a hitch.

I built one from a 1975 F150. I have it licensed for 3000 pounds gross. This weight eliminates brake requirements and gets me permanent registration (no yearly tabs). Mine has a flat bed that I made from wood, as the box was total junk.

I once hauled just barely shy of 8000 pounds of sand in it once back from the local gravel pit (all of 4 miles of back roads). Handled it fine. Wouldn't necessarily recommend that though .

ETA: Registration for a homemade was easy, just went to the local DMV place and filled out some papers. Never even brought in the trailer or even pics! The pickup for me was "free" as it was my first truck that was sitting in the weeds. Have maybe $100 in turning it into a trailer.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 3:25:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Axle, hubs, springs, tires, coupler,  =$400

Plus your steel and you are up to $750, toss in electricity(for welding) and tail lights then you are close to a 5x10 PJ tilt utility that's powder coated.

For fun?  Go for it.  

For money/time savings, probably be lucky to break even.  Don't forget the odd stitches or broken toe that projects of this size end up adding.  

I've wanted to build my own but steel has always run the price up over what a well built manufactured would cost  for me.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 3:58:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Plus your steel and you are up to $750, toss in electricity(for welding) and tail lights then you are close to a 5x10 PJ tilt utility that's powder coated.

For fun?  Go for it.  

For money/time savings, probably be lucky to break even.  Don't forget the odd stitches or broken toe that projects of this size end up adding.  

I've wanted to build my own but steel has always run the price up over what a well built manufactured would cost  for me.

View Quote

Pretty much this.  You will be hard pressed to build it for what you can buy it for.  If your goal is to save money, just go buy one.  If you want to do it as a project go for it.

Helped my dad build a dump trailer as we couldn't find one to suit our needs.  Built it narrower than what was available to fit through the woods and it also ran off the tractor hydraulics and had a much higher capacity than what was available.  Was cheaper to do it ourself than to have one custom made.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 4:31:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Look for a used one for sale in your area.  Cheapest way to get one without all the BS of building one.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 6:20:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Pirate 4x4 and expedition portal have some awesome threads of folks building their trailers.

Pirate has a thread just for little tricks to incorporate into your trailer to make it better.

I buy used ones and fix em up.  I own half a new one I bought with an uncle.

Even when I do get my hands on a welder, coming later this year, I don't really plan to build a trailer.

Modify a trailer, yup.

If you have the space and time and workshop and tools then no biggy on building a trailer.

All that said, reading about what others built and a lot of the little tips and tricks make using the trailer easier on a daily basis.

And no you don't need to go build some monster off road capable trailer, plenty of just utility trailers being built.

But those 2 forums have a lot of folks who are not happy with store bought.

Seeing what they can do with the right tools and workspace is amazing.

My buddy just borrowed an old boat trailer with a wood deck on it.  He needs to move his new side by side for a recall and has not bought his own trailer yet.

Yeah a boat trailer with a wood deck is silly looking and not as nice as a store bought, but dang it if it does not get the job done for not much money.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 10:48:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Pretty much this.  You will be hard pressed to build it for what you can buy it for.  If your goal is to save money, just go buy one.  If you want to do it as a project go for it.

Helped my dad build a dump trailer as we couldn't find one to suit our needs.  Built it narrower than what was available to fit through the woods and it also ran off the tractor hydraulics and had a much higher capacity than what was available.  Was cheaper to do it ourself than to have one custom made.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For fun?  Go for it.  

I'm not really happy with the pre-made trailers that I see. They're all either too light, or won't hold enough to make it worth it.

I've been trolling for used trailers. Around here they're either way overpriced, or someone else's mess of bird-shit-welds and wood screws holding steel together.

ETA: And it'd be a fun project.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 10:48:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I built one for offroad use. I used lumber for the frame so it won't hold much weight. I used a fwd car rear axle flipped upside down for ground clearance.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 11:41:13 PM EDT
[#9]
If you want a good quality trailer, you don't build to save money.  You build because you can't buy what you want.  Given your stated uses, you can buy 5x10 trailers with 3500 lb. axles all day long.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:33:49 AM EDT
[#10]

That's overkill for a trailer, right?

Curiously, here's the price for slightly larger steel from another supplier:
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:47:39 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/Tz9Ptft.png

http://i.imgur.com/vyHGJfa.png
View Quote

Why are you using Grade 50?  I just checked our prices.  2"x2"X1/8"x20' A36 is $21 and 3"x3"x3/16"x20' A36 is $39.

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:28:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Why are you using Grade 50?  I just checked our prices.  2"x2"X1/8"x20' A36 is $21 and 3"x3"x3/16"x20' A36 is $39.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Lol, didn't catch that. That explains the price...

ETA: I asked why they quoted me a572, here's the response:
All angles are dual certified A36/A572 – there is very little just A36 in the market place anymore.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:47:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

All angles are dual certified A36/A572 – there is very little just A36 in the market place anymore.

Lol, that's a load a bullshit.  I could have a semi load of that angle here tomorrow.  Do you have the ability to haul and cut a 20' piece?
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:49:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Onlinemetals.com is selling 2x2x1/8 angle for less than $2/ft.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:54:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Lol, that's a load a bullshit.  I could have a semi load of that angle here tomorrow.  Do you have the ability to haul and cut a 20' piece?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can cut it. I have a dodge ramcharger (think 2-door durango), so I could probably haul it on the roof or something.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:57:48 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I can cut it. I have a dodge ramcharger (think 2-door durango), so I could probably haul it on the roof or something.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Look around for a local place selling plain old A36 and buy it in full 20' lengths.  Most places any more charge an arm and a leg for cut fees.  You might get lucky and find a shop that will cut it for free.  I would still expect to pay close to double the prices I quoted for those sizes in A36, we buy a LOT of it and get massive price breaks.

Have any friends that work somewhere that buys metal?  Most places will let employees buy it at cost.  Probably your best bet for getting it at a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:21:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Its been 20 years but been there done that and won't do it again. I woefully underestimated the time of sourcing, pickup, cutting, welding, bolting, wiring and painting. Also don't forget $$ for wheels and tires and lights and hitch coupler.

At the time, I did this out of my garage with just basic metal forming tools and a cheap welder.

I will never do it again unless I can't buy what I need.  

10 years ago my brother-in-law went to the local Tractor Supply and bought a crappy trailer. It has served him well and it sits outside all year long. It is tempting.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:37:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

ETA: And it'd be a fun project.
View Quote

That's all you needed to say.  I demand a thread with pictures.

Maybe it will encourage me to strip my little 5ton trailer and build a longer bed for it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:38:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/Tz9Ptft.png

http://i.imgur.com/vyHGJfa.png
View Quote

What are you plans again? If you are looking for about 2k pound of cargo capacity, you don't need 4x3x.25. Overkill.

Agreed with above: if you cannot source a place that sells by the stick, you are going to spend a LOT of $$$. I also would advice AGAINST putting the metal on the roof of your durango. It is too long a stick, and you will destroy something or loose the load.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:50:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Unfortunately I don't have many friends. I'm always covered in cheeto dust in mom's basement.

BREAK

I found a more local place that will sell this:
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:56:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Maybe it will encourage me to strip my little 5ton trailer and build a longer bed for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Rgr, I'll take pictures and post a thread.

Quoted:

What are you plans again? If you are looking for about 2k pound of cargo capacity, you don't need 4x3x.25. Overkill.

Agreed with above: if you cannot source a place that sells by the stick, you are going to spend a LOT of $$$. I also would advice AGAINST putting the metal on the roof of your durango. It is too long a stick, and you will destroy something or loose the load.

A cord of oak weighs 5500lbs. That's what I'm looking at hauling +/- couple hundred pounds.

I might be able to fit 12ft of the sticks into my ramcharger, I may have to bring a small welder and tack some eyes/hooks to it to help hold it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 1:02:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Unfortunately I don't have many friends. I'm always covered in cheeto dust in mom's basement.

BREAK

I found a more local place that will sell this:

http://i.imgur.com/jOOwD1h.png
View Quote

Those are great prices
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 1:17:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, that's what I've found out...

Now I just have to GET the steel from their warehouse to my house... It's going to be a fun drive, lol.

Through Baltimore traffic and over a bridge. lol.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 1:52:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Haul the steel down the side of your truck.  Tie the ends of the steel to your front and rear bumper and hang the middle from the front of the bed or strap from the seat anchor through the open passenger window.  A few pieces of carpet tie-wrapped to the steel will prevent paint scratches.

I've hauled 20' steel on a 4' roof rack.  When the ends start bouncing around it gets interesting.  

Where is this online steel price from?  I need to get a ballpark on some 2x6x.25 or .375 tubing.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 2:42:47 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
A cord of oak weighs 5500lbs. That's what I'm looking at hauling +/- couple hundred pounds.

I might be able to fit 12ft of the sticks into my ramcharger, I may have to bring a small welder and tack some eyes/hooks to it to help hold it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, now that changes things. I had thought you wanted a ton of hauling capacity, now we are talking 3 tons. I don't know how lenient your state is, we can get away with over-loading a trailer if it is for private/non-commercial use. Some states are particular on the weight. Since you want to haul 5500, 6000 pound tabs (one threshold here) may not be enough and you would have to step it up a bit. You REALLY need to talk to the DMV before you spend ANY more time/money on this.

You will have to have a tandem axle trailer.

You will have to have electric brakes. Expect to spend at least $500-$600 on getting running gear and brakes, NOT including tires/wheels.

You will most likely have to have the trailer inspected (check local laws).

The trailer now needs to be much heavier. I recall you having a cheap welder? Be sure you can weld good enough for this kind of load. If YOU build it and your construction fails and somebody gets hurt, YOU are on the line for crappy engineering.

You will want rectangular tubing for your frame. No if's, and's or but's about it. Don't screw with anything else.

To be quite honest, in your position, I would look for a donor trailer to customize to your specs. Find an older horse trailer or something and tear it down to frame and build the deck/sides you need. Leave the engineering and critical welding to the pros.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 4:13:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Well, now that changes things. I had thought you wanted a ton of hauling capacity, now we are talking 3 tons. I don't know how lenient your state is, we can get away with over-loading a trailer if it is for private/non-commercial use. Some states are particular on the weight. Since you want to haul 5500, 6000 pound tabs (one threshold here) may not be enough and you would have to step it up a bit. You REALLY need to talk to the DMV before you spend ANY more time/money on this.  

You will have to have electric brakes. Expect to spend at least $500-$600 on getting running gear and brakes, NOT including tires/wheels.

The trailer now needs to be much heavier. I recall you having a cheap welder? Be sure you can weld good enough for this kind of load. If YOU build it and your construction fails and somebody gets hurt, YOU are on the line for crappy engineering.

You will want rectangular tubing for your frame. No if's, and's or but's about it. Don't screw with anything else.

To be quite honest, in your position, I would look for a donor trailer to customize to your specs. Find an older horse trailer or something and tear it down to frame and build the deck/sides you need. Leave the engineering and critical welding to the pros.
View Quote

Yeah, I've been doing some DMV research. I need electric brakes to haul more than 3,000. Not going to happen on my budget. I'll just have to keep it light.

Guess I'll just build it to 3k and not load it past the legal limit.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 7:39:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yeah, I've been doing some DMV research. I need electric brakes to haul more than 3,000. Not going to happen on my budget. I'll just have to keep it light.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

electric brake kits are not that expensive at all.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:31:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200514141_200514141

^^Multiply x2 for tandem axle trailer.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 9:26:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Think about a single (5000lb) axle dump trailer. Sounds like it would mostly fit your needs. Useful capacity would be under 5k, obviously

Go and rent that one from home depot and copy the design if you like it. Made with mostly channel, which I prefer over angle or box frames

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:06:30 AM EDT
[#30]
I bought a 3/4 ton dodge truck instead.

Now I just have to fix the transmission.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:44:40 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I bought a 3/4 ton dodge truck instead.

Now I just have to fix the transmission.
View Quote
Well, your first clue should have been that it is a Dodge

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top