Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2016 8:55:24 PM EDT
We need some sort of utv.. Atvs and utvs are just too much right now. Im reading of a lot of folks using golf carts and having good luck with them for a fraction of the cost.

Anyone here using one and having good luck with it?
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 9:31:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
We need some sort of utv.. Atvs and utvs are just too much right now. Im reading of a lot of folks using golf carts and having good luck with them for a fraction of the cost.

View Quote

I have a EZ-GO gas cart that I use almost everyday. It's good for getting around the acreage and getting the mail. I use it a lot when gardening or tending to my bees.
If I have to go into the woods or other rough terrain, I use one of the four wheelers.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 9:40:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Ez Go Marathon with a set of High Run tiller tires on the rear here.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:21:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Would, but we have too many old folks that pay good money for them. There was a gas job at the lastaauction I was at, brought over 1k. It was old
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:46:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Should i look for gas or electric?
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:54:00 PM EDT
[#5]
We have 2 EZ Go MPTs with electric dump beds. They are both gas units. Love them!

Tom
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 2:24:42 AM EDT
[#6]
This is what we use.  Hammerhead 250.  It's actually street legal, and way more fun than anything else, even a quad.  I bought mine used for $1800.

Edit to add image that I thought I already added

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 10:58:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Tagged for interest.  I bought my full sized Cherokee for less than some of these new 4 seaters or side by sides.  17K?  I don't wanna run that in the brush- might scratch my camo decal!   Gas or electric wouldn't bother me...  Can you get a 4wd golf cart?

ETA: Yes you can!  Buy pre-made or get a kit for popular models.  Hmmmmm...
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 5:25:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Stay away from electric golf carts. Had nothing but trouble with them.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 6:54:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Service life on electric batteries for golf carts are around 4 years just replaced them on my fathers cart last year it was around 600 for them
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 9:18:37 PM EDT
[#10]
What about the usable power of electric vs gas?

Im not finding many near me for sale, at least under 1k, which is where i want to keep the price. In what i am finding, they are all electric.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 9:32:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Im not finding many near me for sale, at least under 1k, which is where i want to keep the price. In what i am finding, they are all electric.
View Quote

I know they make speed upgrade kits for the electric golf carts, high power motors. ect to me it just seems like more to go wrong than a gas one, if you can find a real real cheep electric one than maybe it would be worth it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 9:34:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

A gas cart will out perform any electric cart. Good luck finding a decent golf cart for 1k. Even beater gas carts go for a premium around here. Electric carts at that price will probably need batteries, cables and tires.

If you have any fabrication skills, look into off-road racing lawn mowers.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 12:46:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I have both, electric golf cart and gas-powered ATV.

The golf cart is a 48v Club Car, with a 3" lift, ATV tires, with an upgraded motor controller for better performance. It'll carry me, two fat friends, our gear, and 300# of corn for the feeders, and do it damn near silently. I find the electric golf carts WAAAAY simpler to work on than the gas powered ones. On my old ranch, we'd put 20-25 miles on them per day and recharge at night without any significant issues. Downsides--no four wheel drive (generally, although there are some carts available with a separate motor to drive the front wheels), frames and suspension significantly lighter duty in stock form than most SxS or ATVs.

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 6:36:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I think past thread was in general discussion most likely.

Had a lot of folks with electric golf carts talking about sneaking up on animals all the time.  As in out for the morning mail run or something and scare up this or that.

If you have interest in a battery bank for power when the grid is down an electric golf cart might be useful for you.  

I am always amused by all the stuff made for golf carts, can spend a lot of money easily.

I could see wanting the rear drive axle locked if it is not locked from the factory.  And some decent tires on it if you will rarely use it on pavement.

I don't need it to keep up with a 4 wheeler or side by side, but I know dang well what happens with tires with no traction.

I guess some of the discussion came up with night vision hog hunting as well, silent has its uses.

And a golf cart is an easy way to move around a battery bank that weighs a few hundred lbs.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 10:37:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Had a lot of folks with electric golf carts talking about sneaking up on animals all the time.  As in out for the morning mail run or something and scare up this or that.

If you have interest in a battery bank for power when the grid is down an electric golf cart might be useful for you.  

I am always amused by all the stuff made for golf carts, can spend a lot of money easily.

I could see wanting the rear drive axle locked if it is not locked from the factory.  And some decent tires on it if you will rarely use it on pavement.

I don't need it to keep up with a 4 wheeler or side by side, but I know dang well what happens with tires with no traction.

I guess some of the discussion came up with night vision hog hunting as well, silent has its uses.

And a golf cart is an easy way to move around a battery bank that weighs a few hundred lbs.
View Quote

Great points..! Like the way you think.

I just need to find a good deal. And im not presently finding any.

Can the axle be swapped or upgraded to a locked version, easily?

And ive read similar about using for hunting. Wont disturb animals, no exhaust or smell, etc..
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 11:04:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

And ive read similar about using for hunting. Wont disturb animals, no exhaust or smell, etc..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you plan on driving on pavement a lot, I would be careful about locking the axle.  You will put a much greater load on the drive train, and it won't steer worth a crap.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 7:44:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I have no clue what they even use for a rear axle.  

Do some reading and on the forums figure out what others have done that messed things up or worked better than expected.

And as mentioned, if you will use it on pavement a fair bit then realize how crappy a locked axle is when it comes to turns on actual concrete or asphalt.  Heck, a tight turn in a nice yard might hurt your nice yard if the axle is locked.

My use would be running gravel roads and playing at a hunting camp and gravel would not care about a locked axle and the hunting camp aspect would make it pretty important to have decent rear tires if I was dumb enough to stop on an uphill section and want to get going again.

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:21:16 PM EDT
[#18]
No pavement at all. All gravel and the property is sloped.. So there will be up and down "hill" in a way.

Ill start reading the buggie forums and see what i can find.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:16:53 PM EDT
[#19]
There is a web-site( that I can't recall the name of ) that is like the Arfcom of golf carts.
I stumbled onto it a couple of times and it was pretty interesting... there were carts that would run 70mph and carts that would pull wheelies.
Various vendors as well for tires and wheels, lift kits, and hot rodded engines.
A stock cart with the golf course tires will get around surprisingly well even in muddy conditions where most trucks would need 4wd but I don't know how well they do on hills.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:49:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
There is a web-site( that I can't recall the name of ) that is like the Arfcom of golf carts.
I stumbled onto it a couple of times and it was pretty interesting... there were carts that would run 70mph and carts that would pull wheelies.
Various vendors as well for tires and wheels, lift kits, and hot rodded engines.
A stock cart with the golf course tires will get around surprisingly well even in muddy conditions where most trucks would need 4wd but I don't know how well they do on hills.
View Quote

Buggies gone wild is the one ive been reading. Is that the same one youre thinking of?

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 11:17:51 PM EDT
[#21]
These are what I run on the back of a EZ GO Marathon with no lift. 18x9.5-8. They wont clear on the front, so they are rear only.

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 1:00:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Buggies gone wild is the one ive been reading. Is that the same one youre thinking of?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No I don't think that was it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 9:26:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I have a EZ-GO gas cart that I use almost everyday. It's good for getting around the acreage and getting the mail. I use it a lot when gardening or tending to my bees.

If I have to go into the woods or other rough terrain, I use one of the four wheelers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This, if you just want to get around and haul small loads a golf cart will work, depending on tires. If it's wet,muddy or slippery at all then a golf cart will be almost useless.

Gas >>> Electric. It's much easier to put gas in a tank then to wait for the thing to charge after you limp it/tow it home

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:32:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Let me ask a stupid question.. Would i be better off with a decent ride on mower instead? Not quite tractor but decent enough to pull a light load and zip around on? I could probably get cheaper than a golf cart and would serve multiple purposes.

I want a tractor eventually but a few years away.

We break ground a week from today.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:38:02 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Let me ask a stupid question.. Would i be better off with a decent ride on mower instead? Not quite tractor but decent enough to pull a light load and zip around on? I could probably get cheaper than a golf cart and would serve multiple purposes.

View Quote
Garden tractor with the deck off and a tilt dump trailer is what I use. Works well for the stuff I need to do but It's traction limits it to dry conditions. Even wet grass will cause it to just sit and spin trying to go up modest inclines with the trailer hooked up. Even with the posi enabled.

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:44:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Garden tractor with the deck off and a tilt dump trailer is what I use. Works well for the stuff I need to do but It's traction limits it to dry conditions. Even wet grass will cause it to just sit and spin trying to go up modest inclines with the trailer hooked up. Even with the posi enabled.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tire issues? Could you upgrade  the tires?
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:48:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine has ag tires and 100# on the back.  It's unstoppable.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:56:46 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's got standard lawnmower tires so I'd bet it would do a lot better with some type of aftermarket tires but I use it to mow as well so I'm concerned about tearing up the yard with aggressive tires while I'm mowing. You can put wheel weights on them for better traction as well, most people get them when they use a lawn tractor to plow or with a snowblower. Hell you can always throw chains on it if you don't care about tearing shit up
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:08:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It's got standard lawnmower tires so I'd bet it would do a lot better with some type of aftermarket tires but I use it to mow as well so I'm concerned about tearing up the yard with aggressive tires while I'm mowing. You can put wheel weights on them for better traction as well, most people get them when they use a lawn tractor to plow or with a snowblower. Hell you can always throw chains on it if you don't care about tearing shit up
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I found that mine tears up the yard less with ag tires.  They tend not to spin like turf tires.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:08:55 PM EDT
[#30]
So think id be better off with the mower, from a budget and multipurpose perspective?
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:11:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So think id be better off with the mower, from a budget and multipurpose perspective?
View Quote

If I'm working outside, I'm most likely using a tractor.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:21:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would love to. Just not there now budget wise..

Found this bad boy..

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/grd/5587400973.html
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Found this bad boy..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Found this bad boy..

That is a tractor.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:57:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote
Some of the lawn tractors are pretty handy, you can get quite a few attachments for them. The simplicity I have can even take a small front end loader or 48 inch snow blower.

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:58:39 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
That is a tractor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Found this bad boy..

That is a tractor.
Kohler engines are typically gtg. I see it smokes so it's probably got some blow by and it's a little under powered. But that's a good price. Take the deck off and swap out the tires OP and give us an update
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:01:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Kohler engines are typically gtg. I see it smokes so it's probably got some blow by and it's a little under powered. But that's a good price. Take the deck off and swap out the tires OP and give us an update
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Found this bad boy..

That is a tractor.

The deck is weight.  Leave it on.  100 pounds makes a big difference.  It will even cut grass.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:12:45 PM EDT
[#37]

The deck is weight.  Leave it on.  100 pounds makes a big difference.  It will even cut grass.
View Quote
My deck gets hung up on shit. It really kills the ground clearance

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 12:23:40 PM EDT
[#38]
A golf cart can take 2 people easily, made for it.

A proper yard tractor will have actual brakes on it, make sure of what you are looking at and that it has brakes for what you want to haul or tow.

I like garden tractors just fine, but run into people with old cheap riding mowers that think they have real brakes when really the old cheap riding mowers just don't have a proper braking system.

Like the belts get worn and wet and mower won't stop.

I used a garden tractor for a bit when I had one, taught me to like manual transmissions more than hydrostatic or whatever automatics.  But mine had a leak and a problem.

Seperate brakes on the rear wheels made getting unstuck easy if you had decent tread on the tires and what not.

Whole thing was a lot heavier than the cheap junky riding mowers I had been messing with.

But for getting around, it had no suspension to speak of that I recall.  Yes the mower deck hangs up on everything so taking it off will help a lot.  It could tow and stop a reasonable load.

I like my 2wd honda 4 wheeler a whole lot more and it needs the brakes replaced on it 100% cause they kind of don't do much anymore.  But it having gears and what not lets it handle yard work just fine.

Link Posted: 5/21/2016 10:32:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Great info guys, really appreciate it. Leaning more towards garden tractor since ive found quite a few under 1K in good shape, and will accomplish a lot of my goals..
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:19:42 AM EDT
[#40]
I've got an old 2004 gas Club Car that I've had for about 16 years now.  Very few problems.  When I got it, I bought a 3 inch lift kit with A arm steering and good tires and installed them myself.  I've put countless miles on it, it just keeps trucking along.  I can count on one hand the number of times I've really got it stuck.  I'm not mud bogging or anything, but I don't hesitate to take it into lightly flooded areas at the bottom of my property.  Drive it around in 4 or 5 inches of water.  It's light enough, and the footprint with the aftermarket tires are big enough, that it doesn't sink much in mud.  

Also, everybody always wants the little truck bed.  I did too, when I got mine.  But for me, the bag well turned out to be about perfect.  It will fit two 5 gallon buckets side by side snug so they won't fall out.  You can put a big potted tree in the bag well and your shovel and tools next to it standing up and the bag straps will hold them tight.  Last weekend, I had 6 bags of 80# ready mix stacked in it and trucked it around with hardly a hiccup.  

Really, the worst problem I've had is my 13 year old son and his friends.  One of them was driving around looking cool and texting.  He ran it into an old piece of farm equipment and bent the big piece of steel on the front axle where the connecting tie rod goes.  It took a big lineman's wrench and a 5 foot cheater bar to bend it back horizontal.  Then I had to open up the connecting tie rod about an inch to line it up right.  Drives as good as new.  I love my cart.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:29:06 AM EDT
[#41]

Really, the worst problem I've had is my 13 year old son and his friends.  One of them was driving around looking cool and texting.  He ran it into an old piece of farm equipment and bent the big piece of steel on the front axle where the connecting tie rod goes.  It took a big lineman's wrench and a 5 foot cheater bar to bend it back horizontal.  Then I had to open up the connecting tie rod about an inch to line it up right.  Drives as good as new.  I love my cart.
View Quote
I drove one into a creek at that age

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 1:40:26 AM EDT
[#42]
I use my 316 for tooling around all the time, but I only have about 5 acres to play on. I have Carlisle Tru-Power tires on it. It will handle a LOT more terrain than any cart would, but not as much as a quad. No suspension is no biggie unless you are in a cattle field.

Buy/build a good heavy trailer for a garden tractor (I would go for an actual garden tractor) and you will have that multi-tool.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 3:20:33 AM EDT
[#43]
An airline was selling an electric baggage cart on craigslist for $1000 last week.  It had my interest enough to call but it had already sold.  I envisioned a lift kit and off road golf cart type tires.  We have a tractor for tractor stuff but I often use the lawn mower/tractor with a little dump trailer for small stuff: moving water, portable fencing, etc.  The mower is nice this time of year because I can mow along the way.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 11:02:32 PM EDT
[#44]
We're still looking.. But not finding much. Cart nor garden tractor. :/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top