Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2016 4:03:01 PM EDT
I got a Troy-Built Pony riding lawn mower with the new house.  Good running condition.  I'll be mowing 1.5 acres <> with it.  I know it's a bit small for the task but it's what I have for now.

Planning to buy a compact tractor in the future but I keep looking at older garden tractors.  Found a guy offering an old Wheel Horse 1054 for cheap in running condition and I'm having a hard time not thinking it'd do as well or better for me with a bit more personality.

What do you all think?  Keep the newer one or go for the old guy?  Will it perform as well or better?

VS

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:37:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd either buy both or keep the one you have.

The wheel horse would be a better machine for doing anything BUT mowing the lawn, but not near as fun mowing lawn. For an older garden tractor, I would look for something with hydraulics, a bit more power (that wheel horse should have a single cylinder 10hp engine) and weight, and ability to install a 3 point (preferably) or a sleeve hitch (if 3 point not available). Hydraulics are awesome, and not having hydraulics is a handicap for sure.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:46:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Hydraulic lift on the back, hydraulic lift on the deck.  10hp engine.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 5:07:06 PM EDT
[#3]
THIS IS THE EXACT SAME CONFLICT I AM HAVING RIGHT NOW!!

I just had a John Deere die it was a 1985 but was not built for mowing ditches is what killed it. This only had a 38" deck took me about 2hours to mow.

So I have been looking at newer mowers vs old

New it does not matter what brand you buy they all run the same transmission - Tuff Torque K36 - this is a OK light duty trans from what I have read but they dont like pulling or things like mowing ditches.
I have been looking at the cub cadet XT1 with 54" fabricated deck 4 year warranty on them
John Deere mowers only offer a 2 year 200 hr warranty. they still use the K36 on the x300  and I think something lighter on the D series

I am on the hunt for a Cub Cadet 1450 they have hydro lift deck and can run attachments no problems! They were made to work. my personal opinion is everything is made to be disposable now days

my opinion is run that wheel horse I bet that thing is built like a tank! go threw the deck and steering and replace the worn parts new set of blades and your golden.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 2:07:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Have a d130. It is a decent mower. But nothing more. The 300 series didn't impress me at the dealer. Takes at least a 700 series brand new to do the work the old 318's did. Sad, but a sign on the times.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 2:09:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Can you put on hydro ports? May be able to mod them in. Hydro ports are stupid handy.

Do you plan on ground engagement ?
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:20:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Can you put on hydro ports? May be able to mod them in. Hydro ports are stupid handy.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think even if it does not have them you can add them. I know on the cubs you can add them and people make little loaders for them my co worker has a fleet of 7 cubs and one of the old ones he has a Johnson loader for it and used a cutting edge off of a snow plow and he says it chips the ice as good as any yes it has limited bucket capacity but still the thing is sweet
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 2:52:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I think even if it does not have them you can add them. I know on the cubs you can add them and people make little loaders for them my co worker has a fleet of 7 cubs and one of the old ones he has a Johnson loader for it and used a cutting edge off of a snow plow and he says it chips the ice as good as any yes it has limited bucket capacity but still the thing is sweet
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He may be using a secondary hydro pump. Even the JD 430s would use a secondary pump for the factory loader attachment. The secondary hydro pump is a good idea anyway since the tractor hydraulics are much lower PSI than a standard pump.

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#8]
So OP what have you decided to do ?

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 12:15:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

So OP what have you decided to do ?

View Quote
I wanted to go look at it with cash in hand.  The owner won't return my calls.  Will most likely use the newer mower this season and sell it for something older\bigger next season unless a super deal comes up.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top