Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2016 2:52:45 PM EDT
Seems like the family decided to get into the chicken thing while I'm away finishing up with school. Just got sent this pick of the coop my dad picked up:

Now we're trying to think of how to make it movable. I don't suspect we'll be moving it often, most of the ground is flat, but there are stumps, roots, etc.

My suggestion was to attach three 4x4's running the width of the shed (parallel to the peak), bevel the fronts, screw some plastic into the bottom of them so they slide, and drill through each and independently chain them to a tow point.

My father didn't like that idea. He's looking for an old running gear to put it on. I think that's overkill.

Any suggestions?

Also, I think our chicks are about 6 weeks old now. Any beginner advice for chickens is welcome. Looking at the picture of the coop, it looks like we'll definitely need to put a latch on the nesting box hinge (if that's what it is).
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 3:17:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Running gear does seem a bit much.
The best I think, would be to attach a small utility axle trailer kit permanently to the underside. It may even be smart to use the metal platform. Obviously you do not need the springs or any suspension.

Axles like this

Edit - Dual kit obviously
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:07:41 PM EDT
[#2]
it appears you have runners on it already? Get some 3 inch PCV pipe and make some rollers for it, tires will just sink in, go flat and be a general pain in the ass..
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:29:48 AM EDT
[#3]
why move it? Build them a run or let them free range and let it sit.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:02:12 AM EDT
[#4]
curious what something like that runs?

Is is over a grand?  Building a big coop today is very expensive due to material cost, unless you have access to a bunch of reclaimed stuff.

It looks nice.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:05:58 AM EDT
[#5]
make sure your dad get's his taxes lowered by filing as a farmer now
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:43:21 AM EDT
[#6]
We've had farm assessment for a decade now between our goats and honey. I believe the coop was a little over a grand but it's Amish Built

They will be free range but I believe the idea of making it movable is to help direct them to different areas of our rather large property.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top