Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2016 9:34:25 PM EDT
Hello. Just want to get peoples thoughts I knew my Deere was on its last leg the transmission was starting to slip once it would get warm. So I put some feelers out there and sold it and my snow blower chains weights and have been out on the hunt for a new mower. I said something at work and a co worker is big into old Cub Cadets he has 7 mowers at the moment even has a old cub with a loader on it pretty cool ! but he said he has a 1450 with rebuilt engine, new tires, hard cab, snowblower, chains. along with brand new tires. its a pretty good looking little machine so it has me interested but hes asking 1800 or offer are these machines worth that much? I just do not feel that anything newer is worth the price they ask for new mowers. and I am a huge fan of old iron
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:34:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Garden Tractors are nice.  Does it come with the mowing deck?  I'd look at the local craigslist for an idea of what they're selling for in your area.  Look at the older larger model wheel horses as well.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:40:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Its got hydrostatic, which is nice. It is worth $1800? Maybe if the snow blower is worth it to you. I'm assuming it has the original 14hp single cylinder kohler.

Me personally, I would get yourself an older John Deere 318, even a 316. I have a 316.

You can put a 3 point on them vs a sleeve hitch with the Cub, hydro ports, bigger better engines, half again the weight (very important if you want to scratch the earth). Its more tractor than the cub will ever be.

Video of my 316 working:

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:09:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Garden Tractors are nice.  Does it come with the mowing deck?  I'd look at the local craigslist for an idea of what they're selling for in your area.  Look at the older larger model wheel horses as well.
View Quote

Yes it has a mower deck there is 2 to pick from one has wheels for anti scalp and one has skids for it
Yes it does have a kohler engine but has maybe 20 hours on rebuild we put a battery in it quick turned fuel on and she fired right up after sitting all winter no smoke or anything

The thing in my area the older Deere mowers go for 1500-2000 with just mower deck so that's why I started looking at Cubs anyways
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:03:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

The thing in my area the older Deere mowers go for 1500-2000 with just mower deck so that's why I started looking at Cubs anyways
View Quote
Yeah, they can get expensive here too.

If you need a mower and maybe a little more occasionally, then the cub would suit you fine. I use my modified 316 around here almost daily, and the 3 point is extremely important to me, along with the hydraulics and being able to work the soil.

Its all in what you need.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:21:55 AM EDT
[#5]
That's my thing I want something I can use/ get attachments for box blade(smaller) tiller rear blade and use to mow the yard and clean my ditches up
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:03:12 AM EDT
[#6]
A Cub Cadet 1450 is a great mower, my family used a 1250 for years when I was a kid.  Is it worth $1800?  That seems high as hell to me but I am not up to date on prices.  I would not pay that, you can get a walk behind for that.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:53:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I agree 1800 seems high I may make a lower offer of 1400/1500$ but I need to wait for some extra cash
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 7:14:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I talked to the guy again more today he said no way he would do $1500 he was thinking 1600+ the wife is having a hard time for me spending the money on something " old " in her mind. I talked to him a bit more and the snow blower is a single stage blower.

Right now her and I are going back and fourth on the whole old vs new debate. Im having a hard time trying to figure out what to do. Or even if CL is a option? I am having a heck of a time trying to find the right fit for me. so if anyone has suggestions that would be great

I mow around 1-1.5 acre and I mow about 1/4-3/8 mile of ditches (I just dont like when the grass is kept up and the ditch looks like crap)
I have a gravel driveway that is about 250ft long and 3car wide and want a snowblower for clearing this - Yes I can get a full size tractor and use bucket but I have to ask to borrow one or its a few days before it gets cleared due to availability of equipment -
I want to be be able to mow ditch and pull a lawn aerator without worrying about killing the transmission
a tiller attachment would be a good a plus I have a small tiller to till my mother-in-laws garden where we plant our garden.
a rear blade would be nice to work on the driveway gravel in the summer.

I know a Deere 316 was mentioned any other options fit the bill?

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 7:26:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm not up on my Cub models, but many would do it. Just check on that model's original factory attachment options.

Of course you have more older JD garden tractors like the 318, 330, 420, 430, 317, etc.

For reference, what was the JD that puked?
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 7:33:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm not up on my Cub models, but many would do it. Just check on that model's original factory attachment options.

Of course you have more older JD garden tractors like the 318, 330, 420, 430, 317, etc.

View Quote

1985 112L with 36" snowblower and 2 rear weights and chains.

Wife has been wanting me to pick up the cub cadet XT1 with fabricated deck.  or the Deere D series but I do not want to touch the D series
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 11:12:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Wife has been wanting me to pick up the cub cadet XT1 with fabricated deck.  or the Deere D series but I do not want to touch the D series
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quite honestly, the 112 was no more than a regular riding lawn mower. Not too hard to top that.

Check out the cub cadet with the manufacturer to see if it is rated for ground engaging equipment. If it is, it is built tougher. I have a John Deere D130. It is a nice mower (basically an updated version of your 112) with the 22hp V-twin Briggs engine. It has plenty of power, but the machine is nothing special.

If I had to choose one or the other, I would take my old 316 over the D130 any day and twice on Sunday. The 130 is much nicer for around trees since it is foot pedal control, but other than that the 316 is superior in every way. If you can wrench, I would search for an older machine. They were actually built to work. The new machines are made to look pretty and keep the customer buying new every few years.

I just took a look, and the XT1 GT50" GARDEN TRACTOR (one step above the one you mentioned, and only $200 more MSRP) is ground engaging capable. A manual sleeve hitch is available. This (should) be able to drag and work a bit without burning up the transmission. To be honest, for that price I would check out an older JD 420.

But I am bias to the old American iron
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Cubs with the Kawasaki engines are the best.  Kholer, not so much.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 10:58:26 PM EDT
[#13]
That Cub is a $500 mower at most.  Find a good JD
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 3:29:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That Cub is a $500 mower at most.  Find a good JD
View Quote

In my area everything green people think is covered in gold I have found some blown up Deere 317 in about 1.5hr drive that still want 1000-1500 blown up
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 8:51:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 10:20:17 AM EDT
[#16]
445 is a good machine
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 4:22:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
445 is a good machine
View Quote

I agree my In Laws have a 455 is what I have been using right now until I get my own.

I contacted the owners on the 445 now lets see if they get back to me.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 10:15:15 PM EDT
[#18]
For comparison only....

Running JD 314 $400

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 10:52:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
For comparison only....

Running JD 314 $400

View Quote

I have contacted a few people but have gotten no replies so far. only thing with something like that 314 is I do not want something so inexpensive that I end up putting as much if not more into fixing everything than it cost to buy new. the 112L that died I ended up sticking about 4-500 into steering bearings/gears , belts, tubes for tires, replacement blades and deck bearings. Im not saying all will need stuff or as much. I want to make sure I get a good solid base.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 12:14:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I have contacted a few people but have gotten no replies so far. only thing with something like that 314 is I do not want something so inexpensive that I end up putting as much if not more into fixing everything than it cost to buy new. the 112L that died I ended up sticking about 4-500 into steering bearings/gears , belts, tubes for tires, replacement blades and deck bearings. Im not saying all will need stuff or as much. I want to make sure I get a good solid base.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For comparison only....

Running JD 314 $400

It is comparable to that old Cub.  I believe they use the same engine.

I'd hold out for a 445 or 455.  They can be found for under $2k
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top