Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2016 8:34:44 PM EDT
One of our chicks seems to have developed Cross Beak.
They are one week old to tomorrow. Does anyone have any tips/ tricks for us to help this chick?
Would clipping or filing be of any help?
Here is a picture of the culprit

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:49:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Needs braces
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:35:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Needs braces
View Quote

So, I should take it to the Orthodontist?
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:00:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Seems obvious

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:08:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Seems obvious

View Quote

Ok thanks, I will make an appointment tomorrow
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:58:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't think there is enough beak there to trim yet.

Never had a chicken with cross beak but I have done some trimming on a lazy bird of mine that doesn't keep hers filed down good.

When her beak grows more it should be easy to see how much is safe to trim.  

They are like dog/cat claws or our finger nails,  If you go to far it will hurt and bleed.

I think cross beak is mostly a genetic thing but the chickens can usually live normal lives with it.

If you can help trim it later she should be able to eat and drink without much trouble.

I wish you and the cute bird the best of luck, MBanning
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:27:35 PM EDT
[#6]
This is what it looks like a week later
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:40:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Poor girl. Your first picture didn't seem like it would evolve into something so severe.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:43:47 PM EDT
[#8]
what's the chicken equivalent to veal? because that probably the best option at this point..
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:59:06 PM EDT
[#9]
It is still eating and drinking but I am starting to think that this is going to be a pretty severe case and don't have high hopes. My Mother had a few that had cross beak and she said they all lived pretty long lives but I don't think it was this bad at such an early age.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:21:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Poor little birdie.  I am glad you are there to give it the best.  I didn't know it would get worse like that.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:50:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, I would cull that one.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:01:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Poor chick.  That is worse than I expected in a week.

I did a quick search after my first reply and found a bit of info online.

Some suggested a raised nipple type watering system so the chick could have the water drip into her mouth.

Scooping water and raising her head back like most chickens likely wont be as effective.

A raised feeder was also recommended to make it easier for her to pick up food.

Good for you for giving her a chance,  if it comes to a point that she will never able to live a relatively normal, happy chicken life then no one could fault you for culling her.

Again, best of luck and keep us posted, MBanning
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top