Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 15
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 8:33:31 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Awww.  He's gorgeous.  Man, they grow up way too fast.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That they do!
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 12:20:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Burned the brush pile yesterday.  Now time to build it back up again

Link Posted: 11/6/2016 12:22:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Currently on the hunt for a cheap mini truck.  Be useful as hell around the homestead, cheaper than a good UTV, heat, AC and can be plated for highway use.

Link Posted: 11/22/2016 9:02:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Well the last two ducks are gone.  We just haven't had enough time to properly take care of them with the GSD pup and work. Gave them to a local 6 year old that lives on a farm.

Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:10:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 11:34:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Aww.  Farewell, Duckmen.  
View Quote

Sad to see them go but they'll be better off and a happy six year old has a couple new pets 

Not many projects going on outside this winter.  Mainly just planning projects for next year, it's a long time consuming and expensive list 
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 10:09:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Haven't done much of anything outside this winter.  List of outdoor projects for spring is still growing.  Been getting some quotes on a 3039R 
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 11:47:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 8:36:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We are three weeks out before the light wins the fight, but I am WAY ready for warm weather again.

Old Kitties is Cold Kitties.
View Quote

I enjoy winter but at this point I'm ready for spring so we can get back outside and working on stuff!  It's been a mild winter so far but the multiple freeze and thaw cycles have destroyed the road here.  29 mile daily commute and have about 8 miles of this each day.  Living in BFE has its drawbacks 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 3:32:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I enjoy winter but at this point I'm ready for spring so we can get back outside and working on stuff!  It's been a mild winter so far but the multiple freeze and thaw cycles have destroyed the road here.  29 mile daily commute and have about 8 miles of this each day.  Living in BFE has its drawbacks 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86377/IMG-6153-134534.JPG
View Quote
On the plus side... you could end up becoming the next WRC phenom driving on roads like that
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 7:44:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Your next goal should be sitting on your porch at night looking out at that view with white phosphor nv and show us all the stars
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 9:31:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Your next goal should be sitting on your porch at night looking out at that view with white phosphor nv and show us all the stars
View Quote

Ha!  Funny you mention that...  My buddy was over last weekend and we were playing with his new toy...  REAP-IR.  Have to say, I think that is the route I would go over NV.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 9:32:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
On the plus side... you could end up becoming the next WRC phenom driving on roads like that
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86377/IMG-6153-134534.JPG

I used to drive a WRX STi .  My current bro dozer may not be the best vehicle to practice with
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:38:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Last weekend was nice and warm.  Got the old mower out and cleaned it up.  A buddy bought it.  He's building a house this year and it will make a good starter mower for him.  Kinda sad to see it go.

Will be getting the hitch kit to put on the ZTR and the front sprayer mount here at some point.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:27:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Awesome thread. Just found it and subscribed. I currently live on a ranch out in the country, but it's only on 1.5 acres. The good news is I am in the process of buying a new ranch on 11 acres... So I plan to do exactly what you are doing.

I will say... Thermal is awesome, but I would go with the night vision. With the acreage you have I think you would get more use out of NV. Running around the property with the dog at night under NV is a ton of fun. Also, the stars are amazing in the country, especially under NODs
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:08:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:06:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Wonderful thread OP!  I am really enjoying watching the progress.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:41:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Awesome thread. Just found it and subscribed. I currently live on a ranch out in the country, but it's only on 1.5 acres. The good news is I am in the process of buying a new ranch on 11 acres... So I plan to do exactly what you are doing.

I will say... Thermal is awesome, but I would go with the night vision. With the acreage you have I think you would get more use out of NV. Running around the property with the dog at night under NV is a ton of fun. Also, the stars are amazing in the country, especially under NODs
View Quote

Thanks!  Good luck with the 11 acres!  The acreage is wonderful but can be a lot of work to keep up properly.

If I wanted to use an optic for hunting I would probably go with the IR.  For just out running around in the woods NODs would be better.  One of these days I'll own one or both . Tractor first though 
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:43:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I love NV for SAR work.  Running a dog through the woods at night hunting for a person...it's kept me from walking off a cliff or two.  

It wasn't mine, but I've always wanted my own.

Pavelow, that's pretty country.  I didn't realize the road in front of you was gravel.  I grew up in a spot kind of like that.  Not quite 8 miles to the pavement though (about five).

I kind of miss living on a gravel road, but I don't miss the dust and how the vehicle gets beat up.
View Quote

For just out running around NV would definitely be better than IR.  

I only have 4 miles of gravel to get to pavement, then another 10 miles of pavement to get to work.  It's not bad at all.  The county does a pretty good job of maintaining the road.  My fiance has about 2 miles to get to pavement to get to work going in the opposite direction.  We'll never have a clean vehicle but love living on gravel!
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:45:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Wonderful thread OP!  I am really enjoying watching the progress.
View Quote

Thanks!  Will be more to come once spring gets closer!

Have a sprayer mount and hitch on order for the ZTR.  Will be getting a 15 gal sprayer and spray bar rigged up on it this spring.  Hitch will be to pull a lawn roller to finally smoothe out the yard 
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:06:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Mower parts came in today.  Got a 2" receiver hitch for the back to be able to pull a roller/cart/spreader, etc and a mount for the front to put our 15 gallon sprayer on.  Will still need to rig up a boom for the sprayer.

Got a 24"x48" roller today as well and plan on hitting the yard this weekend as temps are supposed to be in the 60s 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:25:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Got started on rolling the yard after work until I ran out of daylight, going to need some rain to soften the front yard up a little more to really make a difference.

Attachment Attached File

Got the sprayer mount on the mower and the sprayer mounted to it.  Apollo made sure I did everything correctly   Still need to get it wired up and a boom mounted on the front for spraying the whole yard.  Getting closer 

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:11:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Got started on rolling the yard after work until I ran out of daylight, going to need some rain to soften the front yard up a little more to really make a difference.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86377/IMG-6250-148622.JPG

Got the sprayer mount on the mower and the sprayer mounted to it.  Apollo made sure I did everything correctly   Still need to get it wired up and a boom mounted on the front for spraying the whole yard.  Getting closer 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86377/IMG-6251-148623.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86377/IMG-6252-148624.JPG
View Quote

would you be better off with a rear mounted sprayer? i'm not sure what you'll be using it for, but i don't think i'd want to drive through a cloud of herbicide or fertilizer or have the wind blow it at me.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:34:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

would you be better off with a rear mounted sprayer? i'm not sure what you'll be using it for, but i don't think i'd want to drive through a cloud of herbicide or fertilizer or have the wind blow it at me.
View Quote

This will only be used for 2,4-D.  Spray bar will be down close to the ground and won't use nozzles that atomize the spray very finely.  With crops close and a garden I won't be spraying when it's windy out so I don't have to worry about drift.  Spray boom will also stay with the sprayer when I take it off as well vs staying on the mower of rear mounted.

i thought long and hard about a rear mounted spray boom.  Would have to mount it under the mower to keep it under the exhaust so it doesn't mess up the pattern.  Figured I would end up tearing a rear mounted spray boom off on a tree   

Front mounted seems to be pretty common on ZTRs, will just have to be mindful of it and careful not to continually drive through a cloud of spray 
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:19:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:56:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:28:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Wow, your pup has grown up and turned out gorgeous!
View Quote

Thanks!  He just turned 8 months old this past Friday.  About 80 lbs now 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:35:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:01:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Well I don't think I'll be getting any yard work done this weekend.

Last weekend was this:

Attachment Attached File

This morning we woke up to this.  Isn't Indiana weather wonderful 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:55:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 4:52:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
We got the cold (and the cold wind) but no snow so far.

Still, gonna be cold enough tonight to freeze my flowers.
View Quote

We wound up getting close to an inch of snow.  It's all melted today, nice and sunny but the wind is howling.

Sorry to hear about the flower . I knew some farmers who were planting corn last weekend 

We picked up a spray boom for the front of the mower yesterday.  Requires at least 1.8 GPM, our pump is only 1.0 GPM.  There's a new 2.2 GPM pump on the way . Will have some pics up later in the week of the new pump and spray boom install.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 5:25:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 7:29:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Don't y'all always get some late cold weather in March?  

We do down here. It never pays to plant anything that will come up before that's done with.
View Quote

Yep, almost always do.  Most guys do not get in the fields until well into April.  A couple years ago we had a warm spring and some planted corn around March 15th, didn't work out so well for most of them.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:03:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Pardon my ignorance but what is the big roller for? Flattening out the yard? Running over liberals?
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:36:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Pardon my ignorance but what is the big roller for? Flattening out the yard? Running over liberals?
View Quote

Yep!  Help smooth out the smaller bumps in the yard.  Best to do when the ground is wet in the spring and soft from the freeze and thaw cycles.  Done every year it can make a pretty big difference.  Have to be careful not to compact the yard too much.  Will eventually get around to aereating the yard as well.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 8:18:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Well Amazon delivered the new pump today.  They shipped the ring one and delivered the exact same one I currently have   Looks like it will be a couple more days before I get to finish the plumbing up.

I got the spray boom mounted to the tank platform tonight.  It's solid but a little springy.  We'll see how it does in use, I can always stiffen it up if need be.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 9:47:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Nice sprayer setup, I bought a large one from TSC as a pull behind unit. it has 7 sprayer heads, they came with 5 but I added two so I could lower the sprayer arm to prevent drift it seems that i always have some kind of wind here.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 11:28:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Nice sprayer setup, I bought a large one from TSC as a pull behind unit. it has 7 sprayer heads, they came with 5 but I added two so I could lower the sprayer arm to prevent drift it seems that i always have some kind of wind here.
View Quote

Thanks!  

I may may end up doing something similar with this.  Would be pretty easy to lower it and add a nozzle. I figure I will get it set up then check spray patterns with water on the concrete garage floor and make any adjustments before actually spraying chemical on the yard.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 3:40:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Thanks!  

I may may end up doing something similar with this.  Would be pretty easy to lower it and add a nozzle. I figure I will get it set up then check spray patterns with water on the concrete garage floor and make any adjustments before actually spraying chemical on the yard.
View Quote

That's what I did water on the floor and I turned it on to check for overlap ext I still have some drift if I get a good gust of wind but it is much better I used to feel the 2-4-d as the wind took it and blew it on me when I was down wind that was with one of those high broadcast nozzle where they want mounted 24" or so mine I think are around12"
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:11:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That's what I did water on the floor and I turned it on to check for overlap ext I still have some drift if I get a good gust of wind but it is much better I used to feel the 2-4-d as the wind took it and blew it on me when I was down wind that was with one of those high broadcast nozzle where they want mounted 24" or so mine I think are around12"
View Quote

That makes sense.  This was designed to be on the back of an ATV at about rack height.  Two nozzles are supposed to cover 84".  I very well may end up going with more nozzles down lower.  My fiance will kill me if it's drifts and kills her pumpkin patch  
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 6:03:30 PM EDT
[#41]
So with the unseasonably warm weather last weekend apparently our lilac bush decided it was spring and started budding out.  I'm curious how well it will do with some nights below freezing coming up.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 9:38:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 7:42:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I would cover it if you care about it.    That's not one that I *think* can take below freezing without significant damage.  Those buds are too far along.  If they were still really tight, I'd say risk it, but they're not.  

A lilac is worth saving, since it looks like that one might be small enough that a trash bag would cover it.  Weight it down with rocks.

We're going to be down to 27 on Friday night.  I'm guessing y'all will be a degree or three colder?
View Quote

Done . Looking like we'll get down to around 24.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 9:36:25 PM EDT
[#44]
New pump is here and finally got all the hardware rounded up

Attachment Attached File

Just a little bigger than the one that came with the tank 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 9:42:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Needed longer mounting screws so I picked up some new ones in stainless with washers

Attachment Attached File

The sprayer boom came with a regulator and manifold setup.  All with quick disconnect ports that match up with the pump.  Very handy and much easier than trying to plumb everything up with threaded connections

Attachment Attached File

Both the pump and regulator came with plenty of fittings to adapt to hose barbs and pipe threads.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 9:46:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Got the pump mounted to the tank and the regulator on.  The bypass needs to go back into the tank.  This will let me set a pressure for the boom and to keep the pump running vs cycling off and on.  Will need to drill a hole in the tank to pipe it back in.

Attachment Attached File

Marked the hole location then pulled the regulator back off to drill the hole.  Quick disconnects come in handy here 

Attachment Attached File

Drilled it just a bit undersized so the hose is a tight fit and seals up the hole.  The hose to the boom has a ball valve inline so it can be turned off and on.  The wand will always have pressure.  Here it is all plumbed up and ready to go.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 9:51:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Will be able to see the pressure gauge and reach the regulator to change pressure from the mower seat.  Now once it warms
up it is ready to go back on the mower.  Need to find power that's only hot when the key is on and wire up the rocker switch.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 7:52:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Beefy pump is beefy
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 8:18:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 9:46:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Beefy pump is beefy
View Quote

Should be plenty big 
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top