Link Posted: 6/14/2016 1:24:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 2:30:26 AM EDT
[#2]
GMAW = Gas Metal Arc Welding = MIG = Metal Inert Gas
FCAW = Flux Cored Arc Welding

A MIG welder can run fluxcore.
A fluxcore welder cannot run gas.

Dimes are not necessary, nor are they an indicator of a good weld.  Purely cosmetic.

I forgot the rest I was going to say.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 10:32:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't bother with the app with a cheap flux core welder. Quite honestly, they aren't precise enough, nor can you (on the cheap ones) adjust to actual amperage and voltage, just usually numbers on a dial for intensity. Mine has a switch for "High" and "low" voltage .

Correct in that with flux core wire, the flux is on the INSIDE of the wire. Don't ask how they get it in there, have no idea.

The wind issue with shielding gas is a real issue in windy environments. Can you still weld with the wind? Probably, but the main reason to go with shielding gas is to vastly reduce splatter. If you have no issues with splatter (can paint on some nozzle gel to the surrounding metal to help it come off easily) than the shielding gas is just another big heavy expensive thing to have and move around.

Welding really thin metal (like autobody) is tough without a good MIG welder, especially for any sort of distance. Plan on having to grind your welds smooth (if you require smooth) for autobody thin steel. Run the welder "cold" and push wire out faster to reduce burn though, but you will have to work faster than thick stuff.

Acetone, laquor thinner, carb cleaner, brake cleaner, whatever. As long as it removes oil, dries quickly with no residue you are GTG.

Other than thickness, there are different "grades" of steel. Harder steel is just that: harder. There is spring steel as well. Obviously there is stainless. Don't fret too much about the grade it is when you are welding. Thickness will be FAR more important for what you will probably run into.

You won't be welding aluminum with your flux core welder. You need MIG with argon gas for that. If you run into needing to weld aluminum, you are better off using your torch for that and welding with fire, because the torch should be right behind your welder purchase (a torch is incredibly handy).

Link Posted: 6/14/2016 10:41:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have spent some time with this, and I've asked the questions as they occurred to me.  Some are really simple probably, to you, and maybe even dumb...but there they are.  I may have more later.   I've had a lot of amazing help in this thread, and the more perspectives and thoughts I get, the better decision I'll make and the better I'll be at this, so...

Thank you again.

I've got some specific questions about a couple of things...about the "what makes a good weld" in certain situations thing...But I need some time to figure out the best way to ask so it makes sense.  I will approach that later, if you and others are willing to talk about it some more.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I have spent some time with this, and I've asked the questions as they occurred to me.  Some are really simple probably, to you, and maybe even dumb...but there they are.  I may have more later.   I've had a lot of amazing help in this thread, and the more perspectives and thoughts I get, the better decision I'll make and the better I'll be at this, so...

Thank you again.

Quoted:
I've seen some good advice on welders, accessories, and processes.  Thought I would write you a short book on how to weld and use that gear.

What welding is:  
-You have received recommendations for 120v and 220v welders, MIG (GMAW) and Stick (SMAW), and even torches.  All of these do the same thing in different ways: they melt metal.  If you get a 120v welder that runs on your home service, it will not draw as much power as a 220v welder.  In this case, the voltage and amperage is how deep the melting can happen in the metal.

-To better explain:  If you are welding something thin such as 1/16" or 1/8" metal sheets, you want a low amperage so that the weld process doesn't just burn up your metal.  If the amperage is too high, it is like trying to light a candle with a flame thrower.  On the other hand, if you have a 1/2" thick piece of steel and you use a low amperage then the weld won't penetrate very deep into the metal.  You will end up with a surface weld and the joint will be weak.  If the amperage is too low, it is like trying to use a candle to heat your house.

I will buy a 120 v welder (I'm old enough to want to call that 110, btw).  I don't have 220 outside or in the garage at this point, and won't be putting it there any time soon, unfortunately.

Nothing wrong with that.  A smaller welder will just need to make a lot more passes to weld bigger stuff.

What kind of welder do you need?    
-This is so subjective.  Here are some things that you should think about.  
1. What is the thickest piece of metal that you might want to weld?  What is the thinnest?  What type of metal is it (steel, aluminum, nickel/chrome, etc)?
2. What is the duty cycle?  Duty cycle is how much it can run before it needs to rest and cool down.  A 60% duty cycle means it can run continuously for 6 minutes and needs to rest for 4.  That's a LOT of welding for a homeowner.
3. How good are the windings?  Miller and Lincoln are industry standards.  They have heavier windings and electrical components to provide better current output.  Cheap welders from Harbor Freight will work fine at home, but they are cheap because the important parts are cheap.

Good thoughts, and far better than a "just don't buy Harbor Freight because it's Harbor Freight."  

Thickness:  I don't know.  Type?  Whatever I encounter.   I know I will have significant limitations with my first welder.  I know I can't weld thick things probably.  Beyond that, I don't know. I want to fix things that break, like lawn furniture.  Some of that is powder coated metal.  Some of it is painted (I think) steel and is just plain old--my dad gave it to me, which is why I want to fix it and not toss it. Some is very thin metal (might be aluminum but I think it's more likely steel lawn chairs that belonged to my grandparents.  I don't even know if I CAN fix any of this.  But every year I stare at it and go, "Dammit I wanna FIX that.  I want the capability to fix it myself."  

Duty cycle:  I won't need to weld long before I take a break. And I won't be moving straight on to the next joint.  I'll be slow.  

If most of your stuff is thin, MIG will help.  Stick can do sort of thin, but you need to weld at low current, it's easy to burn through, and you may stick the rod to the piece more times than you want.

How to use these different machines:

STICK (SMAW)  
- You can do almost every type of welding with a stick welder.  Use your smart phone and download the Miller weld app.  You input your type of steel and size of electrode (welding rod) and it will tell you what amperage range to use for that weld.  If 90% of your welding is just mild steel, a stick welder will meet your needs.  
- The stick welder has two leads.  You can plug the electrode (holds rod) into either the positive or negative, and the ground in the other.  Each of these has pros and cons.  Usually DCEP (DC current, electrode positive) has the most penetration.  DCEN (DC current, electrode negative) has the least penetration.  So to work on your farm plow you will probably use DCEP with a higher current, and to work on your thin sheet metal you will probably use DCEN with a lower current.

This is really good.  Simple.  Understandable.  And is a brilliant help when thinking about settings.  Thank you.  I remember learning some of this in school, but so long ago I have no detail memory.

The only welding I have ever done was with a stick, and that was many, many years ago. I won't be buying a stick welder, so is the app still good if I have a small, inexpensive wire welder? That's almost certainly what I'll end up with  starting out.  The reason is that I need to see how much of this I will realistically do.  If I end up needing it a bunch, I'll upgrade, but unlike most things I buy (I normally will go for the best quality I can get with my resources), I don't want to tie up money I can use for other things, only to have it just sitting there--not for this.  It doesn't make sense for me or our household to have a bunch of money (I know that's a relative term) in a piece of equipment I end up not  using for five or six years after I do a few projects that are irritating me because they're broken.   However, I really love the idea of having the power to stick two pieces of metal together with enough skill that the weld will function.  

Yes, the app is good for Stick, MIG, and TIG processes.

MIG (GMAW)  
-  MIG is a happy marriage between Stick and TIG.  With the stick welder, the welding rod is coated in a flux that burns to keep out oxygen.  With a flux core wire you get the same thing, but the flux is on the inside.

Wait...so...it's not flux coated wire, but it's wire-coated flux????  I had not gathered that from the learning I've done thus far.  It makes sense.  "Flux CORE" but I had just assumed that the core was the wire, like the rods I used to use.

Flux core MIG and Stick welding both have slag (the flux and impurities that coat the outside of the weld bead and have to be chipped away).  They also pop and splatter more, especially if the flux has absorbed moisture or the weld area is not prepped properly.  
- The benefits of flux core MIG are that you don't have to keep swapping sticks as they burn down, and you always keep the same distance from your weld since the wire is feeding itself up to your bead.

First, I did not realize that flux core was ALSO considered MIG, and that seems to be how you're speaking of it.  So I may have a hole in my terminology.  A lot of the sites where I've been reading have (I understood) considered flux core separate and called "MIG" the kind with the gas, and spoke of it as "Flux Core as opposed to MIG.  So I may speak of it wrong here, and if so, you'll understand my point of reference. ...So...
boostinjdm is right.  Usually MIG is used generically for a machine that feeds wire through the electrode cable when you press the trigger on the torch.  The different processes are actually different technically, so you need to read the specs on whatever machine you are looking at to see if it does what you want.

In the reading I've done, it seemed clear that one of the main benefits of flux core is that there is no gas, ONLY IF/BECAUSE if you're going to be welding outside, with no way to control the wind, that gas MIG may put you at a disadvantage.  This is the main reason I have been considering a flux core welder (cost is another reason--the little starter welders are stupid cheap, which is very appealing for someone wanting to try out a new skill and although I understand some people would be discouraged by splatter, I'm not going to be discouraged as long as I know it's coming as part of the process and that I will have to deal with it.)  I will ALWAYS be outside in the driveway, and it is nearly ALWAYS windy here where I live.  I can see myself getting very frustrated by trying to set up wind shields and having the wind whip around it and ruin what I'm doing, knock it over, basically be a pain in the butt and make me cuss a lot.  Once I read that on two or three sites, I kind of went, "okay flux core is the way I should go."  I am open to your thoughts on this, and since I've only been looking, and haven't bought anything yet, I have time to consider all input.

That's a strong wind!  Yes wind is bad when you're welding.  The gas comes out of a cup on your torch.  The cups come in different sizes, based on how much flow you need.  If you use flux core, no cup to worry about and no flow.  If you use gas, there will be other factors to getting a good flow of shield gas.  It's not hard, and I am sure you can find and print all the charts to tell you what sizes and settings to use.

-  If you want a clean weld, or want to do fine work on something like aluminum, you want a solid wire, gas weld setup.  

It seems that this is true for thin steel like auto bodies as well...is that correct?  In my reading, all the folks doing that kind of work are using the gas wire welders, and the guy who installed my exhaust system had a gas setup for his MIG welder. (Millermatic I think--with a big tank also on the cart.  I considered staging a diversion and running away with his welding cart.)  I don't know that I would ever get to the point that I would weld on an auto body, but the idea is intriguing to me.  I think at that point I would be investing in a whole bunch of stuff, and a new welder would be small beans.
My opinion is that most professionals use gas because it looks better and has less post-weld cleanup.  We use a flux core welder at the blacksmith shop and I can lay a bead on pretty thin stuff.  Any weld process is going to heat your project up.  The biggest challenge with welding thin stuff is controlling the heat.  You may lay a bunch of short beads and let it cool between them.  This is one place where your experience will build up and guide you.  If you try to just weld any project in one sitting it will go poorly.  Even a big project needs heat control.

By the way, I highly recommend getting a cart for all this stuff.  You won't regret it.

Not all MIG welders can be set up to flow a shield gas.  Since this process uses a gas to keep oxygen out (instead of burning flux) it is MUCH cleaner and without all the popping, splatter, and slag of the first two processes.  Some things like aluminum need this in order to work.  In addition, the REALLY thin wire that can be used with the gas may need a spool gun to use.  
-  Most MIG welders put a wire spool inside the machine and feed the fire through the cable to the torch.  This is fine for both flux core and solid wire, as long as it's thick enough to be pushed.  The really thin wires tend to bend and jam when pushed through the line, which is where the spool gun comes in.  All this does is move the wire spool out to your torch handle, which makes the distance to push MUCH shorter.  Usually you see this setup for welding really thin aluminum.

Okay good to know about the thin wire.  Will most welders (even the low end ones) allow the use of a spool gun INSTEAD of the feed through the cable?
You just need to look at the specs for whatever model you are looking at.  They should specify whether or not a spool gun is compatible.

- The quality of weld coming out of a solid wire, shield gas MIG is just as good as any TIG weld I can do.  For the money and versatility this is the type of welder I recommend you look at for your general use.

TIG  
- TIG is a two handed process.  You have an electrode that fits in the torch, and a shield gas that flows around it.  When you strike your arc, you feed the filler metal into the puddle using your other hand.  This is a very precise way to weld, which is why it is considered the top level (and hardest).  Honestly, if you can control C.L.A.M.S. in any weld process, you can weld with any of these just fine.  TIG just takes practice.  Since you say you aren't that experienced, I won't dive into more about this process unless you really want to know.

I am interested because I'm curious by nature, but I won't be getting that.  At least not in the near future. So no need for you to put the time into details.  

How to weld:

Step one: Weld prep  
-  You need to be sure that you grind, sand, and clean the weld effected area very well.  This means getting bare, clean metal at least one inch from the area you will be running your weld bead.  No rust, paint, dirt, etc.  This crap will get drawn into your weld, which weakens it.  Probably not enough for you to worry about in your hobby shop, but the Navy Hull Techs that did the Non-Destructive testing on our pipes and other welds were relentless.  The general process is to use your angle grinder to get the big stuff off, then emery cloth to fine clean the area, then wipe down with acetone and let air dry.  (Acetone evaporates quickly and helps remove any moisture).

Maybe a stupid question...Is acetone better than alcohol for this?  We used alcohol for this when I worked in TV production, but we were working with electronics.  That's my only experience with using a liquid to dissipate moisture, and I've used it for this ever since.
I don't really know the merits of alcohol vs acetone.  Both displace moisture out of the pores of the metal, and both evaporate quickly.  I think that whatever works is fine.  The end result needs to be clean metal.

Also...Any thoughts you have on the best attachments for the angle grinder would be really useful.  I know that's not specifically about welding, but I just bought my first angle grinder, and looked at all the available attachments, but have had no time to actually do anything with it.  I was a little overwhelmed by the number of things you can buy for it.  For general cleanup of the surface pre-weld, then the removal of slag and/or grinding/smoothing after the weld if necessary, I'm happy to hear what you use most often.  One of the folks here said he usually keeps two plugged in--one for brushes and one for grinding, just so he doesn't have to keep changing out the attachment.  That seemed like a good idea..
I personally like the sanding discs for my angle grinder.  I buy the discs that have a threaded insert because they are super easy to swap (no tool needed).  I also buy grinding wheels and cutting wheels for it.  A stiff wire wheel would work better for removing that powder coating you mentioned.  I say buy one of each and try them out.  You'll develop your own preference.  (By the way, I also use those sanding discs to sharpen my mower blades.  They work great for that.  
https://www.grainger.com/category/flap-discs/sanding-discs-and-kits/abrasives/ecatalog/N-10lp?adgrpID=1372925171&kwdID=+Sanding++Discs&s_kwcid=AL%212966%2110%218950921298%2162045476571

Step two: Get the tech sheet out.  
-  No matter what you are welding, there is a good welding rod/filler metal, and a good current to use.  Go to your Miller welding app or whatever your favorite app is and figure it out.  For example: If I am welding mild steel with 1/8" weld rod, Miller recommends 80-130 amps.  If I am welding up 1/4" metal with a solid core MIG, they recommend a 0.035" wire with a feed rate of 360-380 inch per minute,  either CO2 or Argon/CO2 mix for shield gas, and 180-190 amps.

Another stupid question...I don't know how steel is designated other than thickness.  I understand mild steel is relatively low in carbon.  But how do I know what's in front of me when I go to fix something?  I can probably figure out whether it's steel or not, as opposed to aluminum or cast iron or some other metal.  But what kind?  Would I automatically assume mild steel for most things in the home or shop?
Yes, most steel you see is going to be mild carbon steel.  Mild carbon steel, high carbon steel (also called spring steel), and cast iron are fairly common.  Most of the time you can take your grinder to it and look at how many sparks are thrown off.  A huge shower of sparks is probably mild carbon.  No sparks (or very few) is probably cast iron.  Somewhere in the middle is probably spring steel.  The biggest concern is heat control for spring steel and cast iron.  You want to heat up and cool down slowly.  The higher carbon content makes the steel stronger, but it also makes it more brittle.  If you quench the steel after a high heat, it has a higher tendency to break.  There should be plenty of info on this on the internet.  Look up things like "tempering spring steel," "tempering knife blade," or "steel hardness factor."  Once you start to learn about metallurgy, you know you are in DEEP!

Step 3: Weld  
-  If you can remember and control C.L.A.M.S. you will have a perfect weld every time.
Current:  The current is set at whatever you prefer, within the recommended range.  If you are stick welding and the current is too low, your rod will just stick to your project without arcing and you will get frustrated.  If current is too high, you will burn right through your project if you are not careful.  
Length of Arc:  You want the arc between the electrode and the project to be as small as possible.  If it's too close with stick, the stick will just attach to the project and you have to stop, break it off, grind it out, and start over.  If it's too close with TIG, you will get metal on your electrode and have to go to the grinder to fix the angle (I know, we didn't get into TIG, just know that it's a little more involved)  With any of the processes, if you are too far away it will let oxygen get drawn into the weld which causes porosity, popping, and splattering.  With Stick, you have to move the rod in, towards the weld the whole time.  With MIG and TIG, you hold the torch at the same distance from the project the whole time.
Angle:  You almost always want to add metal into the leading edge of the puddle.  That means that you want to hold the stick so that it points back towards the weld (roughly 45 degree angle for most applications.  You want to point MIG like this too, but I don't have quite as much angle.  TIG, you point from the back because you add the metal with your other hand from the front of the puddle.  One way to remember this is "Drag a stick" and I usually add "Push TIG."  That's the angle that the torch is to the weld, and you also have to control the angle to the project.  If you are welding two plates that make a 90 degree corner, you want to split the difference and hold at a 45 degree angle to the joint.  Think of it like this:  The torch is shooting electricity at your joint.  If you point it more towards one side, then the weld is going to go more towards that side.  If you want both pieces to weld together equally, then point it at both equally.  I realize this may sound confusing the way I wrote it, but once you weld it will make total sense.
Manipulation:  You need to work your weld puddle around.  That little puddle is your bead.  You might make some little movements side to side as you weld to make sure you are getting even penetration and forming a nice bead.
Speed:  If you strike an arc and hold the electrode in one place, it will continue to burn metal until you stop.  If you strike an arc and take off like a jackrabbit, it will only lay metal down as fast as it can burn.  You need to watch your puddle and move at whatever speed gets good penetration AND lays down a nice bead.

Step four: Evaluate your weld  
-You can look online for pictures of good welds and bad. You want a nice even bead, with even rings and good penetration. A good bead looks a little like a roll of dimes laid on its side and pushed over. A bad weld bead has undercut, roll-over, porosity, or is uneven. Just google those terms and you can see what they are.

I remember the row of dimes, and I got decent at making it look like that.  The tighter, the more even,  and thinner the dimes, the better, sort of.  But when I see wire welding demonstrated online, often the dimes look isn't as pronounced as I remember for stick welding.  Maybe they're just better welders than my instructors were....?
Definitely a C.L.A.M.S. and skill level variable.  

If you have any questions, put them out and we can try to answer them.  Hope this helps.  It's a very basic crash course in welding.

One more thought:  Cutting torches.  
- Oxy acetylene is the standard.  It is hot enough to cut (with a cutting tip), and you can also weld and braze with it (with the brazing tip).  If you use it to weld, you are doing the same thing as the other weld processes.  You just use gas and flame to melt the metal instead of electricity.  Hold the flame over your weld area, and when you get a little molten puddle to form you start adding your filler metal (to the leading edge of the puddle.)
-  Using a propane torch will cut also, but may not get hot enough to weld very much.  Petrogen torches also work for cutting, but are more difficult for most people to use (they use white gas that you have to keep pumping up to maintain pressure, and you have to heat the tip before you can use it).
-  If you are going to invest in a torch setup, I recommend getting the bigger bottles and a cart to haul them around on.  Invest in Victor gages and torches.  I bought a little pony bottle setup and regret it.  Runs out of gas WAY too quick.  I find myself running over to my dad's to use his bigger setup instead of constantly filling my bottles.

I've got some specific questions about a couple of things...about the "what makes a good weld" in certain situations thing...But I need some time to figure out the best way to ask so it makes sense.  I will approach that later, if you and others are willing to talk about it some more.

I have used Miller, Hobart, and Lincoln Electric.  They all worked fine.  A friend of mine that does some hobby shop on the side recommended Thermal Arc.  They are made by Victor (think torches).  Thermal Arc offers some decent weld setups, including several multi-process machines.  I am looking at one of their Stick/TIG setups.  Here is an example of a MIG machine that looks like it fits your needs:
http://victortechnologies.com/thermalarc/products/detailProduct.html?prodID=W1002500

Compare that to this Miller welder, which I think is equivalent:
https://www.millerwelds.com/equipment/welders/mig-gmaw/millermatic-141-mig-welder-m00486

Or this Lincoln Electric equivalent:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200405530_200405530?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Welding%20%3E%20MIG%20%2B%20Flux%20Core%20Welding&utm_campaign=Lincoln%20Electric&utm_content=167740&cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=google_PLA&utm_campaign=&mkwid=s7jVzYiIp&pcrid=39155627516&devicetype=c&gclid=Cj0KEQjw1v66BRCV-6rh6s-Biu8BEiQAelpui08kvbteqQDI02bLVax6auQW4m5o0aZWODWmspM-Ez0aAlHD8P8HAQ

Or the Hobart equivalent:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200471413_200471413

All of these welders are nearly identical.  All can run MIG (with gas) or flux core wire.  All have similar lengths of cables, have the spool gun as an optional accessory, run on 120V home AC (You still need a 50a breaker), and can handle thin gage to 1/2 inch steel.  They are all single phase machines, and they all have a 20% duty cycle at 90a.  The Miller weighs about 50lbs, the other three weigh about 60lbs.

Link Posted: 6/14/2016 10:47:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I wouldn't bother with the app with a cheap flux core welder. Quite honestly, they aren't precise enough, nor can you (on the cheap ones) adjust to actual amperage and voltage, just usually numbers on a dial for intensity. Mine has a switch for "High" and "low" voltage .

Correct in that with flux core wire, the flux is on the INSIDE of the wire. Don't ask how they get it in there, have no idea.

The wind issue with shielding gas is a real issue in windy environments. Can you still weld with the wind? Probably, but the main reason to go with shielding gas is to vastly reduce splatter. If you have no issues with splatter (can paint on some nozzle gel to the surrounding metal to help it come off easily) than the shielding gas is just another big heavy expensive thing to have and move around.

Welding really thin metal (like autobody) is tough without a good MIG welder, especially for any sort of distance. Plan on having to grind your welds smooth (if you require smooth) for autobody thin steel. Run the welder "cold" and push wire out faster to reduce burn though, but you will have to work faster than thick stuff.

Acetone, laquor thinner, carb cleaner, brake cleaner, whatever. As long as it removes oil, dries quickly with no residue you are GTG.

Other than thickness, there are different "grades" of steel. Harder steel is just that: harder. There is spring steel as well. Obviously there is stainless. Don't fret too much about the grade it is when you are welding. Thickness will be FAR more important for what you will probably run into.

You won't be welding aluminum with your flux core welder. You need MIG with argon gas for that. If you run into needing to weld aluminum, you are better off using your torch for that and welding with fire, because the torch should be right behind your welder purchase (a torch is incredibly handy).

View Quote

I can agree with all that.  In the Navy, we had to have someone put a clamp-on multi-meter on our electrode cable to measure the current and adjust it exactly where we needed it.  If you want to weld at 80 amps, strike an arc and have someone read the meter and adjust your setting until you are at 80a.  I agree that if you don't do this, you are really guessing at where you are at with current.  Most people just set it close and adjust based on how well the weld bead penetrates (or doesn't) and how much the piece burns up.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&ipp=24&Ntt=clamp+on+meter
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 11:39:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Possible tool list:

Any one of the 140 welders mentioned above, all in the $500-600 range

A welding cart, about $90
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200659134_200659134

Welding helmet with auto shade, $40-50
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_welding+welding-helmets-goggles-glasses+welding-helmets

Leather gloves.  They don't need to be heavy duty for MIG, but if you don't buy heavy duty be careful picking up your project.

Hammer and brush $8
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200375152_200375152

Flap disc for prep work/large area grinding, grinding disc for removing impurities
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&ipp=24&Ntt=flap+disc

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&ipp=24&Ntt=grinding+disc

As mentioned, you'll eventually want an oxy acetylene setup.  Remember, stay away from that little portable pony bottle kit.  Runs out way too fast.  Get a good torch and regulator set, then go to your local gas bottle supply company and lease the bottles.  You'll want a cart to tote the bottles around on.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&catalogId=11652&langId=-1&pageSize=12&beginIndex=0&sType=SimpleSearch&resultCatEntryType=2&showResultsPage=true&pageView=image&N=135064+135065&ipp=24&Ntt=oxy acetylene&searchTerm=oxy acetylene&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ns=P-SalesRank|1

You'll want some flip up goggles too:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200616892_200616892

Link Posted: 6/14/2016 11:51:36 AM EDT
[#7]
don't forget on the torch, you can cut costs by using propane instead of acetylene. Won't weld with propane (maybe aluminum), but can cut/heat all you please.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 1:47:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 4:55:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Lots of folks told me to make my welding cart as an early on project.

Lots of folks told me to work on fixing little stuff that had broken or add on stuff for the truck bed boxes or trailer, like holding on a spare tire or this or that.

Only reason to get the baby oxy/acetylene setup is cause you need serious portability.  Like backpack type portability.  So while I have one, I agree the need is far from often from a size standpoint.  I got some extra bottles as well, have a pair being used and can swap an empty out when I empty one.  But the torch head is also tiny as well, I am looking at a j bottle I think he called it.  The 3 or 4ft tall one you could still manhandle by yourself vs. the 5 ft or so one that really needs a dolley and what not.  Will also be buying bigger torch setup when I get those.

And you can look into renting bottles, I would rather own.

Most of my wants and needs is big stuff, trying to get a tombstone lincoln off a buddy still but like this thread cause I could see a middle range something coming home as well.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 8:14:30 PM EDT
[#10]
i'm not a good welder. so i can't answer most of your questions.

but i did build this. been looking for a place to post it. hopefully it will help motivate someone else with their project.

not the trailer. the yellow hunk of metal on the trailer.

Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:39:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 10:41:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Tac weld. When fitting metal projects together, just make small little welds, just enough to hold it all together. When you are happy with the fitment, GI back and weld properly. It's easy to break tack welds and grind it smooth in case you have to move a piece around, or whatever where it just isn't right.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 7:51:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I think that do hickey on the trailer is a rock screen.   Pick up a bucket of earth, dump on screen, dirt goes through, rocks slide to the outside.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 8:04:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 8:05:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 8:59:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Huh....I wouldn't have gone that direction at all, but I can see that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think that do hickey on the trailer is a rock screen.   Pick up a bucket of earth, dump on screen, dirt goes through, rocks slide to the outside.

Huh....I wouldn't have gone that direction at all, but I can see that.

steelonsteel nailed it, it is a rock screen.

now i'm looking at it wondering what you thought it was.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 10:39:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 1:01:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 6:10:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
bump because I'm still not there.
View Quote

Me neither.  this thread got me motivated to go buy a millermatic 211 and a bottle of gas but I don't have power in my garage yet.  I'm still farting around wiring it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:40:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 11:17:53 PM EDT
[#21]
OK my turn to ask the pros - since I been out of the "business" for a few decades.

I have a suede sleeve and bib  that I used for production MiG welding and stick work.also the plain welding gloves - between uses they seem to harden up and get really stiff.

Is there some sort of spray on or rub on treatment to keep the "leathers" soft and pliable.

I was in Harbor Freight on Friday as I needed some more air fittings. I have "Super coupons" and one item I picked up was a 2lb roll of .035" flux core on sale for $13.99. I have an outdoor job coming up and I am not going to drag a cylinder up a scaffold. It won't need to be pretty. I usually buy Hobart Flux core and Lincoln plain wire.

While in the isle I noticed HF has a large 3pc suede apron set and I think it was $12.99 - I been thinking about going back and picking that up as it covers to the knees. By the time most welding sparks have fallen that far they are not a threat. A wirebrush on the angle grinder however is.

Anyway I got what I came for and walked out with my free bonus 25ft tape measure - because you can never have too many ( and small flashlights! )
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 2:25:02 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

OK my turn to ask the pros - since I been out of the "business" for a few decades.

I have a suede sleeve and bib  that I used for production MiG welding and stick work.also the plain welding gloves - between uses they seem to harden up and get really stiff.

Is there some sort of spray on or rub on treatment to keep the "leathers" soft and pliable.

I was in Harbor Freight on Friday as I needed some more air fittings. I have "Super coupons" and one item I picked up was a 2lb roll of .035" flux core on sale for $13.99. I have an outdoor job coming up and I am not going to drag a cylinder up a scaffold. It won't need to be pretty. I usually buy Hobart Flux core and Lincoln plain wire.

While in the isle I noticed HF has a large 3pc suede apron set and I think it was $12.99 - I been thinking about going back and picking that up as it covers to the knees. By the time most welding sparks have fallen that far they are not a threat. A wirebrush on the angle grinder however is.

Anyway I got what I came for and walked out with my free bonus 25ft tape measure - because you can never have too many ( and small flashlights! )
View Quote
Standard leather boot conditioner.

Link Posted: 9/5/2016 10:05:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I haven't tried to maintain welding gear like that.  When it's that bad, I buy new.

However, I can tell you that my firefighting gloves will get really stiff if I don't clean the crap out of them after a fire.  I just put them on and scrub my hands under the deep sink after the fire.  Tons of ash and dirt comes out of them, then I wring them and set them up to dry.  They stay pliable if I do that, and are nearly too stiff to use if I don't.  I have found the same with my work gloves, if they get wet and I finish rinsing, they are much better than if I leave them dirty.

For general leather care, I have saddle soap and mink oil.  I like the saddle soap better on my work boots.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 10:17:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Gloves are disposable.  I run my leather sleeves through the washer and drier with a load of jeans.  The seem to keep soft enough.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 1:00:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Gloves are disposable.  I run my leather sleeves through the washer and drier with a load of jeans.  The seem to keep soft enough.
View Quote

I understand that gloves are a "user consumable" but I do expect to get a fair amount of use out of them before I have to toss them, its not like they are Trojan condoms.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 6:25:08 PM EDT
[#26]
I use leather driver's gloves.  About $6-7 a pair.  They last anywhere from a day to a couple months depending on the work.  It's just part of the job.  Avoiding picking up hot or oily stuff makes the glove last considerably longer.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 10:41:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:06:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Take a quick look at the Eastwood Mig 250.
On sale right now for $800
A good strong 250 amp mig, 220 volt machine that will also run on 110v for now. Of course will also run flux core. When you finally get up to 220v and shielded gas, it has a 60% duty cycle @ 250 amps. Great machine for your money!
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 10:31:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 9:18:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 10:37:05 PM EDT
[#31]
I just noticed the Eastwood Mig 250 is on sale for $699 on their site.  Sweet deal if your'e looking for a good mig to weld up to 1/2".

Mig 250

Link Posted: 11/7/2016 12:09:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 12:00:26 AM EDT
[#33]
I agree.  I am always doing things to my old house.  I would really like to buy a millermatic but cant justify the price.  Probably go with an eastwood when I have some spare cash that doesnt go towards a gun.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 7:22:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I just noticed the Eastwood Mig 250 is on sale for $699 on their site.  Sweet deal if your'e looking for a good mig to weld up to 1/2".

Mig 250

View Quote

Must....resist.....

I've been impressed with the Eastwood 140 I picked up for $199, with regulator, but need more juice.

Wish I had the net income to support my gross habits.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 11:02:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Lincoln Electric had a pretty sweet deal going on in August.   A package deal with the PowerMig 210 MP kit and Square Wave Tig 200 kit for $1999 after a $600 instant rebate.  Right now they have their plasma machines on sale but I would bet the mig machine will go on sale again around the holidays.   I haven't used the Tig yet but so far I have been impressed with the PowerMig machine.   I used it to fix one of the bars on the drag when it broke in half after I hit a big rock, and to start teaching my wife to weld since she has always wanted to learn.  I bought a 12# spool of Prostar 0.035" wire and a bottle of C25 mix from Praxair when I picked the welders up.  I think that should do pretty much anything I need to at home.  During the day my title is Weld Engineer, so I have a fair amount of experience sticking metal together.  I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this machine for garage use based on my experience with it so far.

Link Posted: 11/11/2016 12:06:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 2:08:40 AM EDT
[#37]
OP hope you dont mind if I ask for help also.

I have wanted to play with/learn to weld for several years .. haven't touched a welder in 25 years and even then it was arc in shop class in high school, and I doubt I remember any of it.  Similar to OP, around the house/shop use, trailer/camper work, stuff, etc.

I under stand buy once, cry once but also some times its baby steps.  

That said, hoping for some thoughts on either of these on my local CL

http://salem.craigslist.org/tls/5874360865.html

http://salem.craigslist.org/for/5876486048.html

TIA

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 7:55:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I have wanted to play with/learn to weld for several years .. haven't touched a welder in 25 years and even then it was arc in shop class in high school, and I doubt I remember any of it.  Similar to OP, around the house/shop use, trailer/camper work, stuff, etc.

TIA

View Quote

just a backyard welder here.

i have an this one. http://salem.craigslist.org/tls/5874360865.html

i have never been happy with anything i used fluxcore wire on. not that the welds failed. they just look horrible.

however when hooked up to an argon bottle with regular wire. i am much happier with the welds.  

i was never able to get the larger mig at work to produce good welds on car sheet metal. but using smaller wire on this machine. i am happy with the results.

only things i use this welder for are decorative hobby kinda things or car sheet metal.

so it has it's uses.

i am saving up for a  220v welder. probably a miller 215 or Lincoln mp210.

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 10:36:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

TIA

View Quote

Just looking at the specs, the Weldpak 100 is a 110-120V welder with a 20% duty cycle.  Looks like you can buy a gas kit for it for another $188.

The Weldpak 180 is a 220V welder with a 30% duty cycle.  If you have a 220V hook up, this welder has the gas stuff with it and will weld thicker metal.  If you have the ability to power it, this one is a bigger welder that can do a bit more than the 100.

Both welders look like they were bought with good intentions, barely used, and now being sold to recoup costs.  If that's true, looks like a deal.  What I don't see in either pic are good helmets, brushes, hammers, gas bottles, or other consumables....so make sure you factor that into the total cost of starting up.  (ETA: I take that back.  the 100 does have some consumables to get started.)
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 12:19:03 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

i have never been happy with anything i used fluxcore wire on. not that the welds failed. they just look horrible.

however when hooked up to an argon bottle with regular wire. i am much happier with the welds.  

i was never able to get the larger mig at work to produce good welds on car sheet metal. but using smaller wire on this machine. i am happy with the results.

only things i use this welder for are decorative hobby kinda things or car sheet metal.

so it has it's uses.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

TIA

so it has it's uses.

Completely

agree on the shortfalls of flux core welding, they do look less appealing than a more industrial welder and shielding gas.

But like I've said in this thread before, flux core gets the job done. I weld up to 1/4" with my little 120VAC flux core wire welder (rated up to like 1/8" or something). Just takes practice and a little different technique to get better grab. Still not as good as a weld as a bigger welder, and I don't use it on that thick of steel where safety is a factor, but I make tractor implements with it and nothing has ever broke on me.

The 2 main HUGE advantages for me with the flux core is cost (no argon bottle to buy and fill, welder is cheaper to start with), and operates in windy conditions just the same (I have no shop, everything is done outside). Yes, the flux core wire is more expensive, but if you buy the bigger roll (25 pound IIRC) it isn't that bad. I build a fair amount of stuff and a roll lasts me well over a year.

My little vid of my setup

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 12:47:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 4:21:01 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Rat Patrol and others..

What about the idea that the flux core wire has a shelf life?

I see that mentioned here and there, and I don't know how seriously to take that.

I'll be starting with smaller rolls of course, if I go this direction, but even so, if you get a few sizes, there they sit until you need them.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TIA

so it has it's uses.

Completely   agree on the shortfalls of flux core welding, they do look less appealing than a more industrial welder and shielding gas.

But like I've said in this thread before, flux core gets the job done. I weld up to 1/4" with my little 120VAC flux core wire welder (rated up to like 1/8" or something). Just takes practice and a little different technique to get better grab. Still not as good as a weld as a bigger welder, and I don't use it on that thick of steel where safety is a factor, but I make tractor implements with it and nothing has ever broke on me.

The 2 main HUGE advantages for me with the flux core is cost (no argon bottle to buy and fill, welder is cheaper to start with), and operates in windy conditions just the same (I have no shop, everything is done outside). Yes, the flux core wire is more expensive, but if you buy the bigger roll (25 pound IIRC) it isn't that bad. I build a fair amount of stuff and a roll lasts me well over a year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAqaIIhU1Tg

Rat Patrol and others..

I see that mentioned here and there, and I don't know how seriously to take that.

I'll be starting with smaller rolls of course, if I go this direction, but even so, if you get a few sizes, there they sit until you need them.  

You

only need 1 size of flux core wire. Don't tell anybody, but I have wire that is 3 years old I am still using.

We some welding rod that was gov't over-stock. It was from either Korea or Vietnam over-stock. Grandpa picked up a pallet for stupid cheap. STILL use that today as well, although it isn't as good as brand new high quality rods it does weld better than the cheap rods you get from HF and such.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 8:41:18 PM EDT
[#43]
I want to add that I am using some HF wire that is about 4 years old it does not weld like good quality wire and I keep it because it was a big roll and I am trying to get it used up on some small jobs and I will buy a big new roll for big projects I dont know if the wire gets tarnished over time or what it just does not seem to work like a brand new quality wire
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 9:09:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 9:11:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 10:39:42 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I keep seeing, "for this use, you use X wire, and for that use, you use XX wire, and for this other use, you would need Z wire."

Basically making it very confusing, since I don't know for sure what I'll be welding.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

so it has it's uses.

Completely   agree on the shortfalls of flux core welding, they do look less appealing than a more industrial welder and shielding gas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAqaIIhU1Tg

Rat Patrol and others..

You    only need 1 size of flux core wire. Don't tell anybody, but I have wire that is 3 years old I am still using.
We some welding rod that was gov't over-stock. It was from either Korea or Vietnam over-stock. Grandpa picked up a pallet for stupid cheap. STILL use that today as well, although it isn't as good as brand new high quality rods it does weld better than the cheap rods you get from HF and such.

I keep seeing, "for this use, you use X wire, and for that use, you use XX wire, and for this other use, you would need Z wire."

Basically making it very confusing, since I don't know for sure what I'll be welding.

Meh, unless you need technically perfect welds for hire, one size and done.

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 10:52:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Generally speaking, the thing that makes flux go bad is absorbing moisture.  When the flux burns it pushes out oxygen which causes porosity.  If the flux absorbs humidity it doesn't work well.  The other reason that welds generally look like crap is that the metal isn't clean.  We always had to clean a minimum of 1" from the weld effected zone to bare metal, and wipe it with acetone to be sure all moisture was out of the pores of the metal.  Most people don't clean their welds nearly enough.  Don't forget to clean off the slag, and grind your stops.

As far as wire X, XX, or Z...That's usually the easy part.  The filler metal should be close to the type of metal you are welding.  There are charts everywhere and manufacturers have lots of data like this:

Common Mistakes in Choosing MIG Wire and How To Avoid Them
The most common types of MIG wire for welding mild steel are ER70S-3 and ER70S-6. These wires are designed to meet minimum tensile strength requirements of 70,000 psi. But which one is best for a particular application?

ER70S-3 is typically used on clean, oil-free and rust-free base material. It is also the best choice for avoiding silicon islands, which can sometimes form on the top of the weld, giving it a “glassy” look. Paint applied over a silicon island may later flake off. In addition, with multiple pass welding, a silicon island may be detected on an x-ray as a slag inclusion. Such defects may require costly rework.

Choose an ER70S-6 wire for welding on plate that has mill scale or surface contaminants, since this wire incorporates the proper deoxidizer to combat these issues. A deoxidizer absorbs oxygen so that it vaporizes into the arc or forms as scale oxides. ER70S-6 is also better for creating a smooth transition from the weld to the base metal, also known as wash-in or tie-in. Better wash-in may be a requirement in applications subject to fatigue. ER70S-6 wire can provide better wetting at the weld toe when compared to an ER70S-3 wire.
A quality MIG wire is critical in robotic welding applications.

Beyond Mild Steel
HSLA (high strength low alloy) steels are becoming increasingly popular for fabrication in many industries. In addition, AHSS (advanced high strength steel) is gaining momentum in the automotive industry where weight reduction becomes a priority.

However, studies have shown that the increase of base metal strength in AHSS makes the weldment strength more susceptible to weld defects. Defects and discontinuities in the weld and heat affected zone previously tolerable in low carbon steel applications can result in rejections in AHSS welded structures. It is essential to select premium welding consumables and to optimize welding procedures together with a quality assurance program to weld AHSS.

It is especially important to with HSLA (high strength low alloy) and AHSS (advanced high strength steel) welding to pay careful attention to electrode matching, depending on specific application requirements and conditions. These applications typically are less forgiving to weld defects.

Most of the metal we use is just mild steel.  When you go to buy the wire/stick, just pick the product description that matches your project. (or ask at the shop)
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/consumables/flux-cored-wires-self-shielded/Pages/flux-cored-wires-self-shielded.aspx
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 10:58:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 10:57:29 AM EDT
[#49]
When you stop welding your bead, if you look closely there is a little crater at the end. This is the last place that the electrical arc was contacting before you stopped welding. That little crater holds any impurities that were burning out of the weld puddle but got trapped when the current broke. Those impurities weaken your weld. You would fail an x-ray test if you didn't grind them out.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 5:50:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top