BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 4/1/2016 11:34:24 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 11:49:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to weld professionally so never bought equipment for home.  Now that i no longer weld at work I need to buy.  I found that a setup used by a buddy works well:

Millermatic 211 w/ spoolgun wired in 230v
welding hood
Cutting goggles
Torches
Grinder - 4 1/2"

The items listed above should be most of what you would need.  If you need to weld in the field the MIllermatic may not be a good option.  You could then go with an arc welder using a stick.  The 211 model is my choice but you can go on Miller site and take a look at all of them.   I used Miller, Airco and Hobarts and found that Miller made a good machine.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 12:15:43 AM EDT
[#2]
You need a flux core wire feed welder, 120 volt. Can weld up to 1/4".
Yes, flux core wire is more expensive, but no gas required. You will be able to strike an arc easily.I have one and a large 240 volt stick welder. Guess which one I use most.

Auto darkening helmet. HF is fine.

Welding gloves. Basically heavy leather gloves.

Extra nozzle tips for your welder, and nozzle goo.

90* welding magnets. Welding clamps are handy, standard vice grips work.

4" angle grinder.

Chop saw, if you want properly cut pieces.

Torch. You can get by without on new builds, but expect to need one eventually.

Leather welding aprons are nice.

Expect to get burns.

Always wear ear plugs. Keeps sparks from damaging your ears. Also wear tight fitting eye pro. Sparks will get behind your helmet.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 12:20:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Remember you can use propane instead of acetylene in your torch. Same fittings. Won't get hot enough to torch weld, but will cut fine Saves money. YYou will still need oxygen though. You can entertain the thought if those little disposable bottle torches if you don'tplan in needing it much. As iI mentioned, you don't really need a torch for new builds. Short of bending metal.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 12:23:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 12:25:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You need a flux core wire feed welder, 120 volt. Can weld up to 1/4".Yes, flux core wire is more expensive, but no gas required. You will be able to strike an arc easily.I have one and a large 240 volt stick welder. Guess which one I use most.

Auto darkening helmet. HF is fine.

Welding gloves. Basically heavy leather gloves.

Extra nozzle tips for your welder, and nozzle goo.

90* welding magnets. Welding clamps are handy, standard vice grips work.

4" angle grinder.

Chop saw, if you want properly cut pieces.

Torch. You can get by without on new builds, but expect to need one eventually.

Leather welding aprons are nice.

Expect to get burns.

Always wear ear plugs. Keeps sparks from damaging your ears. Also wear tight fitting eye pro. Sparks will get behind your helmet.
View Quote

Spot on!  I have been using flux core for years. Your welds will not be as nice as if you were using gas(i.e. lots more splatter) but noting to to worry about forgetting to turn the gas off and then needing to weld something Saturday night when you can get more gas is a pain in the but! Ask me how I know!!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 12:25:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Should be able to be welding for about $350 or so.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 12:27:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 12:30:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 12:32:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Tell you what. I'll make a video this weekend, or at least take pics.

I've actually got welding to do anyway.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 12:42:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 12:47:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Wire feed machines are easier to use and is what I prefer but you are limited to the length of the lead to the machine. I mean like if you have to weld up on a ladder you will need to get the machine up high enough to reach the work with the tip. Mine is about 7" long. and the ground is like 5'. Although you can extend the ground.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 12:47:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Awesome.

I've been looking at some online videos.

When I was in school, we had a welding "rod" which had flux around the outside, but it was finite.  In other words, you welded til your rod ran out,then you had to get another rod to start another bead.

it looks like this is a continuous spool of welding material.

Is that the basic difference?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell you what. I'll make a video this weekend, or at least take pics.  

I've actually got welding to do anyway.

Awesome.

I've been looking at some online videos.

When I was in school, we had a welding "rod" which had flux around the outside, but it was finite.  In other words, you welded til your rod ran out,then you had to get another rod to start another bead.

it looks like this is a continuous spool of welding material.

Is that the basic difference?

Yup. Stick is old school, but can work well on old metal.

All professional welders use wire feed. Insanely easy to get an arc going. You also have a trigger, so yournozzle is eelectrically cold when you aren't welding.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 12:48:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That's EXCELLENT.

Okay talk me through welding step by step with what you recommend,.

I mean...tell me the story step by step of how you walk out there and set up.  Tell me why you do what you do?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Should be able to be welding for about $350 or so.

That's EXCELLENT.

Okay talk me through welding step by step with what you recommend,.

I mean...tell me the story step by step of how you walk out there and set up.  Tell me why you do what you do?

What ever machine you buy will come with a manual that tells you how to set up that machine.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 12:51:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 12:52:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 12:54:50 AM EDT
[#16]
If you buy a 120v  stick machine and use it on a 15 amp breaker you will trip the breaker if you weld above 80 amps. I don't have that problem with my wire fed machine.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 12:56:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You're saying I have to be within 7 inches of the welder?

That's never gonna happen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wire feed machines are easier to use and is what I prefer but you are limited to the length of the lead to the machine. I mean like if you have to weld up on a ladder you will need to get the machine up high enough to reach the work with the tip. Mine is about 7" long. and the ground is like 5'. Although you can extend the ground.

Sorry 7 foot. Mine is any way, some go to 15 foot
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 12:56:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 12:57:17 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Must be a typo. You have closer to 7 feet, depending on machine.

Link Posted: 4/2/2016 12:58:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 12:58:47 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
So it sounds like a normal home with 200 amp service...a wire welder is a far better choice?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you buy a 120v  stick machine and use it on a 15 amp breaker you will trip the breaker if you weld above 80 amps. I don't have that problem with my wire fed machine.

So it sounds like a normal home with 200 amp service...a wire welder is a far better choice?

Yes and no, but get wire feed anyway

You may need the welder on a 20 amp breaker though.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 12:59:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 12:59:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Proper size extension cord is fine. I do it all the time.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 12:59:54 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Question..

Can I cut with a wire welder?

View Quote
No

Link Posted: 4/2/2016 1:00:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 1:01:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 1:04:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

OH!  Gotcha.  So if I'm going to weld on something on my vehicle in my driveway, that might be an issue.

Guessing it has to plug directly into the wall..NOT into an extension cord (that seems to be the way of a lot of equipment.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry 7 foot. Mine is any way some go to 15 foot

OH!  Gotcha.  So if I'm going to weld on something on my vehicle in my driveway, that might be an issue.

Guessing it has to plug directly into the wall..NOT into an extension cord (that seems to be the way of a lot of equipment.)

If you get a machine with the 15 foot lead it would be better but more expensive. You can get around a car with 7'
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 1:07:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 1:09:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 1:18:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 1:21:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 1:23:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I missed this post as I was scrolling.

You're saying I can weld with propane?

Are you talking about the little gas grill propane jugs?

or are you talking about something bigger?

I won't need ANY of this very much.  I ain't goin' into the weldin' bidness.

I need to weld exhaust systems and lawn furniture and maybe fix something that's broken on a machine now and then.

Which means I'll likely be a BAD welder, and my welds will be insanely ugly, but will probably hold.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Remember you can use propane instead of acetylene in your torch. Same fittings. Won't get hot enough to torch weld, but will cut fine Saves money. YYou will still need oxygen though. You can entertain the thought if those little disposable bottle torches if you don'tplan in needing it much. As iI mentioned, you don't really need a torch for new builds. Short of bending metal.

I need to weld exhaust systems and lawn furniture and maybe fix something that's broken on a machine now and then.

Which means I'll likely be a BAD welder, and my welds will be insanely ugly, but will probably hold.

You wont need a torch for that kind of work. Maybe yard art? And no you cant weld with prpane.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 1:24:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Rat Patrol said..

What does this mean?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Rat Patrol said..

All professional welders use wire feed. Insanely easy to get an arc going. You also have a trigger, so yournozzle is eelectrically cold when you aren't welding.

What does this mean?

Dirty rusty metal
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 1:28:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Dirty rusty metal
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rat Patrol said..

What does this mean?

Dirty rusty metal

Thats what the grinder is for.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 1:33:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 1:38:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 1:46:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Okay this makes sense.

So if I'm restoring an old car and the frame is all rusty, I would likely use a wire brush and grinder attached to a drill.  That's the most heavy duty thing I can imagine needing to grind or clean at this point.

Is that thinking reasonable?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rat Patrol said..

What does this mean?

Dirty rusty metal

Thats what the grinder is for.

Okay this makes sense.

So if I'm restoring an old car and the frame is all rusty, I would likely use a wire brush and grinder attached to a drill.  That's the most heavy duty thing I can imagine needing to grind or clean at this point.

Is that thinking reasonable?

Well a grinder is separate from a drill. and you buy a wire wheel and grinding disk for it. And you can buy cutting disk also. They spin at 10,000 RPM
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 1:55:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 6:16:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'm confused.

I have multiple drills.  And I have grinding wheels and wire wheels that I chuck into my drills.

Are you saying I need a bench grinder necessarily for some of this?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well a grinder is separate from a drill. and you buy a wire wheel and grinding disk for it. And you can buy cutting disk also. They spin at 10,000 RPM

I'm confused.

I have multiple drills.  And I have grinding wheels and wire wheels that I chuck into my drills.

Are you saying I need a bench grinder necessarily for some of this?

no just a hand held angle grinder. if you go to homedepot or someplace like that. go look at the all the different type of grinding wheels that can be used on the hand held angle grinder. you will find the drill attachments very inferior to a hand held angle grinder.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 9:27:21 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Okay sorry...I guess I meant can I CUT with propane.

Lot of instances you need to cut, and apparently I cannot cut with a wire welder.

Yeah...metal sculpture maybe...but that's a ways down the road. If I get to that before I die, I'll be lucky.  I have way too much to do before that gets to the top of my list of "must do" items.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You wont need a torch for that kind of work. Maybe yard art? And no you cant weld with prpane.

Okay sorry...I guess I meant can I CUT with propane.

Lot of instances you need to cut, and apparently I cannot cut with a wire welder.

Yeah...metal sculpture maybe...but that's a ways down the road. If I get to that before I die, I'll be lucky.  I have way too much to do before that gets to the top of my list of "must do" items.

Yes, you can cut with an oxy propane torch. The torch can do 2 things for you: cut metal and quickly heat metal for bending. Its not required for fabrication, even less so for light duty stuff you can bend cold or cut with a chop saw ir sawsall.

Without a torch, you DO need a chop saw and sawsall with metal blade.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 9:44:50 AM EDT
[#41]
We just bought this for one of our farm shops.

miller 212

It has auto wire speed and is super easy to set up. Measure your metal, turn the heat setting to desired thickness setting, turn on gas, turn on power, lay some beads. It is that simple.

I never welded before and now I am doing welding projects all the time. The auto wire speed and just the ease of a wire feed makes this thing great.  

Few wire feed tips. Don't use a flux core wire, they make shitty welds.  Clean all your metal before you weld it, you will get good with your angle grinder pretty quick. Always weld downhill, heat rises so if you weld up you will eventually blow a hole in your work. If you aren't a great welder hopefully your a good grinder, you can make a lot of shitty work look pretty good with some grinding.

As for a torch spend the extra and get a plasma torch. They are the bees knees.

plasma torch
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 10:04:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Grinders

Look on Craigslist for like a 150ish amp machine. Lots of people buy Lincolns from Home Depot and use them twice.

You can run an extension cord, just make sure it's a good size. What's the difference between a cord and the wire in the wall being 20 ft longer? Not much, just has to be sized appropriately.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 10:17:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 10:22:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 10:24:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 11:09:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 1:15:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 1:41:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Just looked at this.

There is no way I can spend that for something that'll get used so little.  I could never get that to make financial sense for us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We just bought this for one of our farm shops.

miller 212

It has auto wire speed and is super easy to set up. Measure your metal, turn the heat setting to desired thickness setting, turn on gas, turn on power, lay some beads. It is that simple.

I never welded before and now I am doing welding projects all the time. The auto wire speed and just the ease of a wire feed makes this thing great.  

Few wire feed tips. Don't use a flux core wire, they make shitty welds.  Clean all your metal before you weld it, you will get good with your angle grinder pretty quick. Always weld downhill, heat rises so if you weld up you will eventually blow a hole in your work. If you aren't a great welder hopefully your a good grinder, you can make a lot of shitty work look pretty good with some grinding.

As for a torch spend the extra and get a plasma torch. They are the bees knees.

plasma torch

Okay, good stuff. Thank you!

Just looked at this.

There is no way I can spend that for something that'll get used so little.  I could never get that to make financial sense for us.

Yeah it's pretty expensive. They can be found used for quite a bit less and you don't need the auto feed speed. Just get a good brand. Miller, Hobart, or Lincoln.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 1:47:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 1:49:25 PM EDT
[#50]
You don't even need a torch.  I use mine about twice a year.  Its easier to cut with a grinder 90% of the time unless you are using >3/8" steel.

You're seriously overthinking this.  Go buy a mig welder and get started.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top