Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:41:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:27:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a class b cdl and the walk around inspection is required with commercial stuff.  I started doing it more with my stuff just from habit.  I have noticed tires losing air, not flat but lower than it should be, and since I keep a little air compressor with me usually I could air it up and get it to a shop instead of putting a spare on.

I have worked in factories and as a mechanic and other jobs where sometimes pranks go to far.  So checking your vehicle for something tied to the bumper or this or that is also part of why I still check stuff.

I will even put notes on my steering wheel if I am doing something odd with my stuff and going to be busy for a while.  A lot of rv folks have a reminder to make sure their toad is in neutral or the steps are pulled up or other stuff.

I would say sorry for giving you that habit, but I hear now and then when someone says they noticed something they might not have normally noticed.  And even though I live in a rural area, there are some kids who will be kids and yeah I want at least a cheap lock on the latch for my trailer hitch and hitch pin.  They don't just fall out ever.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:35:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I will definitely be ugrading straps as I can. I may be asking in here about some different ones.  I'm just overwhelmed and putting out the fires in front of me as I can at the moment (which is why I haven't had the welder back out and hooked up again.)

Mostly my interest in the binders and chains is that

a-a chain is a handy thing to have around, and knowing how to use one is extremely useful

b-the more I see how loads are strapped down and contained, the more I will learn how to think about loads in general.  I even like the disagreements about crossing straps/chains vs not, etc etc.  Because there is usually more than one way to skin a cat safely, and there is a huge amount of knowledge among the members here, but you can't know there are good ways and bad ways until you see stuff discussed and subjects come up.
View Quote
Chains are handy things for sure. I usually have a 10' one with the tractor when doing general work with the FEL. It can let you handle some things with the bucket that would be too unbalanced to move with the bucket by itself (it also is a good thing to have a couple of hooks on the bucket top edge).  Have the item against the bucket edge & wrap the chain around to keep it from falling away.  

You can buy a 20" chain at Lowes & have them cut it in half - add hooks to the cut ends & you have two 10' chains.  There are two common styles of hook you can put on a chain. The "grab" hook is designed to grab a chain link (across the link - not in the link).  A "slip" hook is designed to let links slide through (think slip knot or noose) and may also be handy on grabbing some other items with loops or other feature that can stand the pull. You can use a slip hook to do an angled pull with another chain or strap if the slip hook's chain can be safely attached at an anchor point (visualize clock hands @ 6:15 w/hands representing the actual pulling line).  You can't always pull something straight out ...

Nick
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:05:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 3:00:23 AM EDT
[#6]
You know the cute little drive up ramps for changing oil?  I have a couple of plastic ones of those.  Now and then I think something like that would be useful because there would be no leverage from the ramp put into the trailer and trying to lift the rear of the vehicle.  For most of what I do, no biggy.

The flip down ramps that are attached to a trailer will try to lift the front of the trailer and therefore the rear of the tow vehicle.  I have seen these ramps with zero supports coming down from the ramp to the ground, the ramp only touches the back of the trailer and the ground where the vehicle or mower or whatever will hit the ramp.

And I have seen flip down ramps with a sort of support, some do not adjust and basically it would keep the trailer from moving much and probably stop any actual lifting of the rear wheels of the tow vehicle.

To some extent this comes down to how someone treats things. 

Get an old fella who knows his equipment and does it right and there may never ever be an issue.  Get a young kid and suddenly the vehicle hits the ramps hard and that puts a lot more force on lifting the rear of the vehicle and away we go.  Once rolling, not sure how well some stuff is going to get stopped.

I know a friend who tells some people to put their truck in 4x4 and the manual transmission in gear with engine off and engage the parking brake.  Newbs usually do it and ask why.  He says that way if the rear wheels come off the ground the parking brake and transmission are keeping the front wheels from rolling.

Heck, I know people who put wheel chalks in front of the wheels so the vehicle can not move.

For little single axle trailers I don't get to worried about it unless someone is pushing the limits.

Seeing some of the trucks people use for hauling bobcats and other decently heavy equipment around, yeah I expect some silly stuff happens.

Pirate 4x4 has a monster thread on "big dumb loads" in their towing section.  A lot of it is hauling and what not but you will see all sorts of stuff in there.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:40:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Another thing that you can do is use wooden blocks under the very back of the trailer to prevent the trailer from going down when you drive up on the ramps. We do this for the one Bobcat trailer at the farm because since the ramps were rebuilt with new stronger ramps the feet haven't been added yet.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:17:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Went to OBX and 9 miles up the 4x4 beach to pull a trooper back....was not fun

Still waiting on the Powerstroke to be finished lol
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:02:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 6:23:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Owww!

Is that your trooper?
View Quote
No lol bossmans

Surprisingly the dodge did a helluva job pulling it across the beach...even when the wheels got locked to the left and we were bulldozing sand it was still tugging it right along lol
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Went to OBX and 9 miles up the 4x4 beach to pull a trooper back....was not fun
http://i.imgur.com/9sd3Mik.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/14afNtd.jpg

Still waiting on the Powerstroke to be finished lol
View Quote
It wasn't dragged on a road like that......

was it?

Any reason the tire wasn't changed? Did I miss something?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:49:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It wasn't dragged on a road like that......

was it?

Any reason the tire wasn't changed? Did I miss something?
View Quote
We changed it right after it went.....but we had to go a mile and a half until we could pull off because the sides of the road were curbed and it was a busy highway
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:32:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
@Merlin

In the Tractor thread  Here, you said:

I didn't post my question there because I didn't want to keep jacking that thread, and this seemed like a trailer question, so..

By "standing ramps"...Are you saying you use ramps that support themselves so that you get whatever is being loaded up in the air to the level of the trailer bed WITHOUT putting a load straight on the back of the trailer all that time?  ( I read the posts about lifting the tow vehicle off the ground while loading, which I took to mean so much "rear weight" that it lifted the tongue so much that it picked the tow vehicle off the ground.)

I did not know there were such things as standing ramps, but this seems like good information to have.
View Quote
@Kitties-with-Sigs

Not my pictures, but examples of standing ramps with "feet":

Notice that the feet limit the downward force and travel of the rear of the trailer, thereby limiting the upward force on the front, hence limiting how much it lifts the rear of the tow vehicle.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:03:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:11:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
@Kitties-with-Sigs

Not my pictures, but examples of standing ramps with "feet":

https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.33eMQbdGQMMMYNF42GBY9gEsDH&pid=15.1

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.6dLycPiZZu5s5EGTLCb4lQEsDH&pid=15.1

Notice that the feet limit the downward force and travel of the rear of the trailer, thereby limiting the upward force on the front, hence limiting how much it lifts the rear of the tow vehicle.

Hope this helps.
View Quote
Trying to figure out what that trailer is configured for...

I know its not your pic, but its purpose alludes me. Not the right ramps for snowmobiles/ATVs, not right for a skidsteer, not heavy enough for other heavy equipment, too high for a car hauler, ?????
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:23:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I know its not your pic, but its purpose alludes me. Not the right ramps for snowmobiles/ATVs, not right for a skidsteer, not heavy enough for other heavy equipment, too high for a car hauler, ?????
View Quote
My guess is utility small-medium sized tractors
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:23:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Both of my car hauler trailers have ramps like that.

Why wouldn't a snowmobile/atv/SXS/rtv or skidsteer use those trailers?  (Assuming the weight matched for the skidsteer).  On mine and on those trailers I've seen the ramps slide in and out to match different width vehicles.  The pictures above don't show it very well, but it appears the ramps can slide in to about 16"-18" apart.

I've had my:  JD lawn mower (LD133), Kubota RTV, ZTR and tractor, my son's Honda, my Pathfinder, my Toy 4runner rock crawler, two 1 ton Dodge Rams, (and probably several others I've forgotten about) on my trailers.  No problemo.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:08:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
IME trailers like that are general or multipurpose, used for smaller 4x4 tractors, 4x4 trenchers, directional drilling machines, etc..  Pallet loads are easily lifted from the side.  An equipment trailer is less suited for pallet loads.  With this deck over the wheels you can handle both.

The ramps will slide closer together to allowing cars or equipment with a narrower wheelbase.  

In some cases the ramps are handier for unloading heavy items in the field that were loaded with a forklift.  Dragging a skid down the ramp is pretty easy.  I've had to unload a 2000 pound 8' cube using two pieces of 3/4 black pipe and a crowbar.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:57:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:03:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I can see drywall or palletized type stuff. To me it seemed too high and too light duty axles for any kind of equipment requiring ramps like that.

Just kind of an oddball shape to me I guess. Don't see trailers with that particular build style around here.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:04:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:12:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Just noticed the ramps on that model only slide a few inches narrower, which is also very odd. Have the feeling it was made for a specific purpose. 

Sorry for the jack Kitties, please return to your regularly scheduled conversation 
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:38:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:45:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Nope I think this is perfect conversation.   It's all learning about trailers, loading them, and hauling stuff.
View Quote
I'll be making a vid in a few weeks, majorly modifying my flatbed trailer . You may enjoy it due to the new load securing system going in. 
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:16:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Realized I never answered this question:

Those type trailers are typically known as "car haulers".  Obviously, depending on size and weight capability, they can carry more than "cars" as I alluded to in my earlier post.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:42:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:21:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Interesting.

The car haulers I see around here tend to set a little lower, with raised fenders.  Same for the heavier equipment trailers.

I'll have to start looking more closely when I see cars on trailers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Realized I never answered this question:

Those type trailers are typically known as "car haulers".  Obviously, depending on size and weight capability, they can carry more than "cars" as I alluded to in my earlier post.
Interesting.

The car haulers I see around here tend to set a little lower, with raised fenders.  Same for the heavier equipment trailers.

I'll have to start looking more closely when I see cars on trailers.
Same here, or on a car dolly. 

Probably a result of Minnesota construction. Stuff (roads, public projects) is ALWAYS being built, so there are TONS of contractors who buy TONS of equipment, which saturates the used market. If it wasn't meant for yuppy needs or construction needs, it would be a rare bird in these parts.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:50:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Really, it just depends on the set-up of the trailer. This seems like your usual gooseneck flatbed right? Did you know half the bed tilts down to load either a car, truck, tractor, you name it? We have one smaller then this for cars and smaller equipment also. (This was last summer)

Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:58:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

How would you have done it differently?

(Serious question...I want to hear people talk about their approaches and why they choose those)
View Quote
Your load can flip off if it hits a curb or steep side grade.  4 points, 4 corners uncrossed, your trailer can flip and your load will still be attached.  People make this mistake all the time.  Heck, you could even lose one strap and still have safe attachment if they aren't crossed. Just think about it for a few minutes.  If you can't figure it out, make a model with a toy car and see what I mean.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:39:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Your load can flip off if it hits a curb or steep side grade.  4 points, 4 corners uncrossed, your trailer can flip and your load will still be attached.  People make this mistake all the time.  Heck, you could even lose one strap and still have safe attachment if they aren't crossed. Just think about it for a few minutes.  If you can't figure it out, make a model with a toy car and see what I mean.  
View Quote
I'm late to this thread and haven't read all 9 pages, so this may have been posted before.

A very interesting book to read is the US Army's "Tiedown Handbook for Truck Movements".  It's basically the bible on how the USA ties down and secures it's heavy vehicles (tanks, armoured vehicles etc. ) for truck movement.  The booklet number is "SDDCTEA Pamphlet 55-20".  A .pdf link is here:  https://www.sddc.army.mil/sites/TEA/Functions/Deployability/TransportabilityEngineering/Transportability%20Engineering%20Publications/Pam_55-20_45.pdf

In that book, they have 4 specific criteria when to use crossed tiedowns, see Section II, A. General, page 9; otherwise the tiedowns should be same side.

And here are pics of one of my car hauler trailers with my Toy Rock Crawler on it.  Note the use of both same side and crossed tiedowns.  I used the 55-20 book as a guide to ensure my rock crawler would be secure for a +5000 mile trip out west.

Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:02:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'm late to this thread and haven't read all 9 pages, so this may have been posted before.

A very interesting book to read is the US Army's "Tiedown Handbook for Truck Movements".  It's basically the bible on how the USA ties down and secures it's heavy vehicles (tanks, armoured vehicles etc. ) for truck movement.  The booklet number is "SDDCTEA Pamphlet 55-20".  A .pdf link is here:  https://www.sddc.army.mil/sites/TEA/Functions/Deployability/TransportabilityEngineering/Transportability%20Engineering%20Publications/Pam_55-20_45.pdf

In that book, they have 4 specific criteria when to use crossed tiedowns, see Section II, A. General, page 9; otherwise the tiedowns should be same side.

And here are pics of one of my car hauler trailers with my Toy Rock Crawler on it.  Note the use of both same side and crossed tiedowns.  I used the 55-20 book as a guide to ensure my rock crawler would be secure for a +5000 mile trip out west.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p111/Albinator/Trailer%20Tiedowns/07-09-08%20IMG_0420%20Al%20Medium_zpsysyvrtxd.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p111/Albinator/Trailer%20Tiedowns/07-09-08%20IMG_0414%20Al%20Medium_zpsqapque7s.jpg
View Quote
Extra points for using ratchet binders and securing the chassis with straps instead of chains. 
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:04:47 AM EDT
[#32]
It should be mentioned that I've seen lever binders come loose, as in completely loose and worthless (the lever wasn't secured as in with paracord like a previous poster showed). If the load isn't 100% tight with a lever binder, it can all go to shit. Ratchet binders cannot loosen like that. 
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:06:54 PM EDT
[#33]
I hate lever binders.  I bought four for hauling my tractor around.  Used them a couple times, replaced them with binders.  Lesson learned.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:12:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:15:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:31:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Okay so...

the red things pictured are a sort of "come-along" with a ratchet mechanism?

Is that' what y'all are talking about?
View Quote
Yes, the red things on the chains. Not so much a come-along, but a turnbuckle with built in lever on a ratcheting mechanism.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:33:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:57:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Ratchet binders are superior in every way to lever binders.

Chassis with suspension bounce. Chains don't like bounce. Chains have a habbit of getting loose/free with bouncing. Straps are OK with bounce, plus they can give a bit if needed (stretch).

The chains keep the truck on the trailer, the straps reduce bouncing dramatically.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:48:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Ratchet binders are superior in every way to lever binders.

Chassis with suspension bounce. Chains don't like bounce. Chains have a habbit of getting loose/free with bouncing. Straps are OK with bounce, plus they can give a bit if needed (stretch).

The chains keep the truck on the trailer, the straps reduce bouncing dramatically.
View Quote
Ever had a vehicle start resonant bouncing?  Pretty scary:  It starts, you have no clue what's going on, slow down it goes away or moderates, speed up comes back.  Took a while to figure it out.  That's when I learned to strap the chassis, if only using two straps near the middle vs the ends like the pics above, it helps.  Takes an interesting (and thankfully rare) combination  of road conditions, trailer and trailer tire conditions and towed vehicle characteristics to happen. 
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:47:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Here's a fun picture for your thread.  Bought a storage box earlier this year and the guy delivering it missed the driveway coming in. But you can clearly see how he strapped it.

Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:08:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Okay so...

the red things pictured are a sort of "come-along" with a ratchet mechanism?

Is that' what y'all are talking about?
View Quote
Pics are worth a thousand words.  How they work should be clear.

Ratchet binder:

Lever binder:

Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:59:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Pics are worth a thousand words.  How they work should be clear.

Ratchet binder:

http://www.awdirect.com/product_images/large/9jh81_as02.jpg

Lever binder:

http://www.awdirect.com/product_images/large/9fga8_as01.jpg
View Quote
Be the new guy to those lever binders and not watch what youre doing, be you wont go near one ever again when it catches you right
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:39:20 PM EDT
[#43]
LMAO especially on the release!
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:28:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:31:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:31:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Only one lesson needed for lever binders:

Don't use them.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:32:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Don't have to be a new guy with lever binders to get hurt. My younger brother just got smacked good (broke something, forget what) with a lever binder that let go on him as he was securing a boom lift. He is highly experienced with hauling heavy equipment.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:38:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:40:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:46:08 PM EDT
[#50]
I think northern tool is currently running a sale & has 2 ratchet binders for $35 (5/16" , 5400 lb WLL) if you are near a store...

Nick
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top