Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 13
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 4:36:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Since this is The trailer thread I just picked mine up today 20' manual tilt deck with 9990lb pkg (2 5200lb axles) I love this thing so far pulled great so far very well balanced I will be adding winch this week
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 4:26:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I just read through all 11 pages

Seems I've successfully bid on 170 acres of land here in MO [I'm a city boy and have never lived 'out']

I'll lease the tillable but will be putting in food plots for hunting, bush-hogging and maintaining the place.

I have so much to learn, equipment, trailers for same ....

Eeeek!  

Anyway, this was an awesome thread to be a primer on Trailers 101.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 2:37:40 PM EDT
[#3]
So the Stroke still lives contrary to popular belief
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 7:05:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 7:06:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 7:12:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Is that the one that got damaged?
View Quote
The very same
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 7:29:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 8:53:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What an awesome trailer!!!!
View Quote
THANK YOU !! I feel bad for having to cut up a brand new trailer to mount a Dee Zee toolbox that will house my 12k winch and some work lights. Possibly a VIAIR system for tires and basics.

After Pulling this thing about 450 Miles this weekend it pulls really nice I do get some extra bounce from the truck suspension but I will address that in the future
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:07:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 6:34:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What do you mean, cut it up?

Explain please, for a trailer dummy?

View Quote
I have to cut the headache rack on the front of the trailer to modify for toolbox it just almost kills me to take a saw to something brand new so I can modify it for the box to fit

Attachment Attached File

You can kind of see here what I am talking about
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:22:54 AM EDT
[#11]
We did the same to one of ours, except when we were done the toolbox was a headache rack with a high back for work lights and a power connection for a diesel fuel tank.

Was only suppose to be just the toolbox only but the metal cutter was on a roll
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:38:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
We did the same to one of ours, except when we were done the toolbox was a headache rack with a high back for work lights and a power connection for a diesel fuel tank.

Was only suppose to be just the toolbox only but the metal cutter was on a roll
View Quote
Would love to see some pics of that mod.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 10:19:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Got a new 4Runner back in May and my new trailer showed up the end of July.  I just got KO2 Load C tires on it a week ago and they seem to drive better than the OEM Dueler'swith the trailer.

It's a Diamond C 2PSA with 5000lb axle and brakes. It is my first factory trailer and I like it a lot so far.  I think I did well at $2350 including the spare wheel/tire.

I put it to good use last weekend when I needed a trencher for my fiber optic project.

Link Posted: 9/12/2017 7:31:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyone that has mounted a tool box can I see some pictures I am having a heck of a time deciding what I like either my box looks too far forward or back
And with the weight of a winch I want to make sure it can handle it
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 5:28:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I would just decide if you want to be able to use x amount of deck and mount the box.  Box needs a brace on trailer deck frame rail as well as a brace to the triangle as well.

Winch should be mounted well enough if you had to use the winch to pull the trailer backwards you could do so. 

Now granted if talking a 2k lb winch not as big a deal as an 8k lb winch.

I am looking at a double axle flat deck trailer with around a 10k lb rating.  If I buy a cheap 12lb winch for the trailer for loading damaged vehicles or whatever it is going to be a heck of a setup that the winch bolts down to.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I would just decide if you want to be able to use x amount of deck and mount the box.  Box needs a brace on trailer deck frame rail as well as a brace to the triangle as well.

Winch should be mounted well enough if you had to use the winch to pull the trailer backwards you could do so. 

Now granted if talking a 2k lb winch not as big a deal as an 8k lb winch.

I am looking at a double axle flat deck trailer with around a 10k lb rating.  If I buy a cheap 12lb winch for the trailer for loading damaged vehicles or whatever it is going to be a heck of a setup that the winch bolts down to.
View Quote
I have been working on this all day today I have everything set up my holes situation is well crappy I have busted a few drill bits and I cant seem to read the smart end of a tape measure today but I think I got everything squared away.

I can not fasten anything to the triangle up front because when I tilt the deck that pivots as you can see in my picture with the pickup. so everything had to be fastened to the deck of the trailer or to the frame of the deck.

I had some issues with my damn welder so I cleaned a my main plate up again and started welding and I ended up warping the damn thing so I have to wait until monday so i can use the torch and use some heat and straighten it out then add some bracing. and then do some plasma work. I am hoping that I will be able to have everything up and going by the end of the week
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:33:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Forgot that yours tilts, so yeah I understand.

I guess I would be making a sort of triangle under the box that spreads the load as best it can to that main crossmember you are using.

One thing I always wondering about tilt, mechanical or hydraulic, is if the winch overloads that pivot point or adds a lot of wear and tear to it?
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:56:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Forgot that yours tilts, so yeah I understand.

I guess I would be making a sort of triangle under the box that spreads the load as best it can to that main crossmember you are using.

One thing I always wondering about tilt, mechanical or hydraulic, is if the winch overloads that pivot point or adds a lot of wear and tear to it?
View Quote
I'm not worried since when the trailer is at full tilt the back of the trailer is on the ground if I was pulling and lots of weight it should "plant" to drag something onto the deck. All forces should be on the deck of the trailer except the weight that is forced onto the ball of the truck

Attachment Attached File

Winch will look like this except the 1/4" plate that is going under and brackets that will hold the fairlead I don't have any pics as I goofed making it yesterday and warped the plate. So some torch tomorrow and brackets should get it back to 100% I will be adding pictures when it's done I hope all this makes sense
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:39:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Only tilt deck I ever messed with personally was a neighbors single axle tilt deck he used for his riding mower.  He drove the mower or 4 wheeler on and off the trailer.  At some point he said something was wrong with it.

Pivot setup had broken and you could move deck of trailer around.

But being a single axle it was a light duty setup.

He had a welder and we figured out a way to fix it and reinforce it and he kept an eye on it after that.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:13:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Only tilt deck I ever messed with personally was a neighbors single axle tilt deck he used for his riding mower.  He drove the mower or 4 wheeler on and off the trailer.  At some point he said something was wrong with it.

Pivot setup had broken and you could move deck of trailer around.

But being a single axle it was a light duty setup.

He had a welder and we figured out a way to fix it and reinforce it and he kept an eye on it after that.
View Quote
The communist freight tilt trailers are pretty sad in the tilt aspect but otherwise they work well for what they are. I used a co workers and the pivot was crappy but for a little brush trailer it worked perfect
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 10:38:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 10:46:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 2:30:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 11:01:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 6:18:40 PM EDT
[#25]
I use 2x12s for ramps for quads and mowers and stuff,bought the aluminum ramp ends for em even.  The 12 inch wide ones.

Anyway, even I think 2x12s are overkill for sides unless it is me being lazy and wanting to store my ramps as sides on the trailer or something.

My uncle kept some old siding from his house when it was being redone, or else it is metal roofing, but anyway he has some metal he uses for sides on the good trailer we share.  The metal framework provides the strength for that height and depending on what you are loading you don't need the sides to go up that far.

I consider the metal a bit flimsy for hauling gravel or something so if I did that I would probably lay in some boards or something as well, even 1x6 boards or something being backed up by the metal sides of the trailer should handle gravel.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 8:15:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 8:54:41 AM EDT
[#27]
That' pretty much what I used on the removable dump trailer sides.

(the PVC at the top is to make the edge friendly for the roll up mesh tarp cover)

Nick
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 1:23:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 8:35:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 9:51:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Went out yesterday afternoon to unload the last 500 lbs of gravel, and found two things:

a-the taillight lens (It's probably called the side indicator--it's the side of my taillight) on one side was busted--the side where the quarry guy loaded the trailer with rock.  I wonder if a rock flew out of the scoop and hit it.

b-I had a tire with about 6 lbs of pressure in it....and a valve stem almost hanging off.  But that was on the OTHER side.

I would think if the tire had blown just from being overloaded, it would have blown out rather than popping the valve stem half off.

Wouldn't it?

I pumped the tire full and drove to the tire place, where they replaced the valve stem.  All is well with that.

Still have to deal with the damaged lens before it rains in there I guess.

At some point it looks like I will be forced to learn trailer wiring.
View Quote
I really dont want this to sound hateful or argumentative, but how did you come to be the moderator of this section of the forum?

It seems as though you go out of your way to make the mundane, everyday goings-ons of life something worthy of posting here.

I would think anyone, especially anyone who's been around the 'hands on' 'country' 'trades' etc. lifestyle, would know that

A)  Trailer lights and housings and wiring are complete crap, and any use at all makes them subject to failing in any number of ways
B)  A split and hanging valve stem isnt capable AT ALL of transferring air into a tire.  Simply it cannot, its very design prevents it.

Is this part of the forum just kinda a "Okey Doke" area that they leave alone because no one else wants to do anything with it?

ETA:  Im sure my comments will not be recieved well, and I hate that, but Ive bit my "tongue" for months.   I have several topics Id like to post here and share ideas with people, but the forum feels "fake" for lack of a better work.

Feel free to ban me, speak poorly to me, etc.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 11:12:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I really dont want this to sound hateful or argumentative, but how did you come to be the moderator of this section of the forum?

It seems as though you go out of your way to make the mundane, everyday goings-ons of life something worthy of posting here.

I would think anyone, especially anyone who's been around the 'hands on' 'country' 'trades' etc. lifestyle, would know that

A)  Trailer lights and housings and wiring are complete crap, and any use at all makes them subject to failing in any number of ways
B)  A split and hanging valve stem isnt capable AT ALL of transferring air into a tire.  Simply it cannot, its very design prevents it.

Is this part of the forum just kinda a "Okey Doke" area that they leave alone because no one else wants to do anything with it?

ETA:  Im sure my comments will not be recieved well, and I hate that, but Ive bit my "tongue" for months.   I have several topics Id like to post here and share ideas with people, but the forum feels "fake" for lack of a better work.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Went out yesterday afternoon to unload the last 500 lbs of gravel, and found two things:

a-the taillight lens (It's probably called the side indicator--it's the side of my taillight) on one side was busted--the side where the quarry guy loaded the trailer with rock.  I wonder if a rock flew out of the scoop and hit it.

b-I had a tire with about 6 lbs of pressure in it....and a valve stem almost hanging off.  But that was on the OTHER side.

I would think if the tire had blown just from being overloaded, it would have blown out rather than popping the valve stem half off.

Wouldn't it?

I pumped the tire full and drove to the tire place, where they replaced the valve stem.  All is well with that.

Still have to deal with the damaged lens before it rains in there I guess.

At some point it looks like I will be forced to learn trailer wiring.

Everyone has strengths and weaknesses in regards to knowledge & skills and mods are no exception.

You just happened to latch on to what appears to be a weakness.

I would much rather have someone fully admit when they are in over their head, struggling, etc and ask for help, and continue to build knowledge.

We weren't born with all the skills and knowledge we posses, it's built over a lifetime.

There is an incredible wealth of knowledge on this site, and in my opinion, the everyday posts seem to bring out the most helpful responses where even I , a 24 year remodeling contractor, learn things which makes the forum for me seem more "real" than fake to use your words.

You are entitled to your opinion, and I look forward to your posts you have been hanging onto.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:16:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 5:38:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

@hkx3

You are welcome in the forum as long as you remember it is not general discussion and that people may have different opinions.

My question to you would be....if you don't enjoy the topics I post, why do you click on them?

Lots of people here with lots of knowledge.  Ask something you want to ask, post up something you know and want to share.

But EVERYONE is welcome here as long as they behave and treat other posters well.

I will not speak poorly to you because that's not what we do here.

You may, however, be bent toward that, and if that side of you comes out a lot, you are not likely to fare well here.

And if the mundane everyday goings on of life are not part of the homestead you consider worthy of discussion, and folks cannot ask questions about those, what, precisely, do you suggest this forum should be about?

If you think there are topics that need covered, by all means, start them.

ETA:  I should at least say this, in case I never see you again.  

Evidently you would assume I have some kind of magic, since I pumped almost 40 lbs of air into that tire with a valve stem almost half torn off.  I've done that several times in my life, to get myself to a garage for repair.

If you haven't ever done that, and you do, in fact, believe that to be impossible, perhaps you have just learned something, after all.
View Quote
I wasn't, and still am not trying to cause a problem.  

I simply do not understand how a rubber tube (a valve stem) when cut almost off, will transfer air.  In fact, for pure meanness/get-even-ness, its pretty common to cut them.   Metal "hard" stems like older TPMS, etc, are different.

Here is a simple pic showing the concern due to aging (not cutting but same principle):
Valve Stem Check

As for coming here to start problems, not the plan at all.

I would like to think the mod of a forum should be at least above-average on knowledge of the forum.

As for clicking "your" threads, thats fine.  Problem is, your posts are in most threads.

Not a big deal, Ill hush.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 8:44:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 9:21:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The forum is called Homestead, Farm, and Garden.

It's a relatively broad forum, and your criteria for qualifications seem to be rather nonspecific and arbitrary.

If you expect any mod on any forum to know everything there is to know about that forum, you are going to be sadly disappointed in much of AR15.com.  

If you believe you are qualified by your vast knowledge of all things about Homesteading, Farming, and Gardening, then hang around, post a lot, and support other posters.  Share your knowledge in a supportive way.  In short, make the forum better instead of bitching because you dislike the mod or the writing/posting style of the mod.

In short, put your money where you virtual mouth is.  Do it nicely, and you'll be welcome.

If you simply dislike me so profoundly that you don't want to even read a thread where I might post "Tag" or ask a question....

Well, that's a problem I cannot solve.
View Quote
I tried, in the post above, to address one of the original concerns.

Again, not to be a problem - I sincerely want to see what kind of rubber valve stem you have that can be severed so badly, yet still hold/transfer air.

I figure at this point Im trying to contribute to the forum.  My contribution is trying to clear up how valve stems work.

Trivial, yes!   But, apparently its part of what gets discussed here in the Home Farm and Garden forum.

I happen to have changed a few dozen, maybe hundreds of tires in my life, and Ive yet to see a severed or severely damaged valve stem that didnt leak/fail completely.

I see that as important, as either the valve stems in all my equipment: cars/truck/tractor/quads/SxS's/trailers/wheel barrows are all needing an upgrade.

Ive even had to deal with 2 flats on a 2017 GMC because I buried the thing, and damaged both stems while spinning in mud.  This happened while building my drive/road, and it wasnt for fun.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 9:40:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 6:13:01 PM EDT
[#38]
I never felt a mod needed to be a know it all for a forum.

I felt they needed an interest to spend a lot of time in that forum to do mod things, I like the herding cats youtube video personally.

Some areas do have mods that know a heck of a lot in the area they are a mod, and that is why they hang out there.

This is just my opinion on that part of the subject.

On the trailer sides, number em so you know what goes where when you take em off.

It is rare for most anything to be perfectly exact so having differences on the trailer is not a surprise to me, biggest thing is being able to have it track straight.

On your tie downs you have all kinds of options but if the top board and bottom board are seperate I would consider using flat straps like the ratchet straps have and when you put the top board on already have attached the strap to the metal of the trailer.  Or I guess you could run em under the bottom as well.

Not sure how hard it would be to remove em and it would rot out the strap over time if you just left em in there.

I really like the flat nylon straps for things like that, won't put much of a gap at all between the boards and the straps are strong.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 11:31:37 PM EDT
[#39]
don't mean to break up the 100 word posts...........but look, an old pic of me actually doing something useful with my life XD
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 11:32:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 11:35:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 12:04:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Was unloading actually.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:42:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Somewhere in all the trailer threads we also discussed using nails or screws to secure a board to the wooden floor of a trailer.

In hauling some ancient metal roofing from a friend's place to mine I used some 2x6 scrap to get a little height for the strap to be able to pull down on, and the board fit in the flat area of the roofing so pressure was applied in an area where it did good without messing up the old beat up roofing even more.

Depending on what you are doing there are all kinds of options.

Honestly, if the wooden sides come out easily I would run em at an angle on the trailer and get em out of the way so I could strap things down.

I have 2 of the cheap spider web bungee kinda things for holding stuff in a pickup bed.  Not made for holding much weight but great to keep a tarp from flapping or a load of cardboard boxes from trying to blow out.

Need something to hook bungee net onto of course but I keep one around just cause it is useful at times.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 9:14:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 9:04:35 PM EDT
[#45]
any links to those net bungee things
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 9:14:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 9:56:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 8:21:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Bungy things can be attached to each other.  Hook em together and if just open looped use duct tape to make the hooks behave til you tension it.

I would buy bigger ones but at the same time I have been known to repurpose what I have due to being too lazy to order or buy the right item.

I would call it thrifty except all money saved goes towards other things, like ammo this year.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 1:11:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 1:33:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Poking through photos, and I found a pic I thought I was going to try to post on this or another topic at some time in the past.

I apologize if I already posted this.

Just me abusing my home-made trailer Attachment Attached File
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top