BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If I had a good simple way of getting pictures from phone to ARFCOM, I could have all kinds of pictures of different loads. Deal alot with that stuff at work so have everything from a Mower on little trailer to skid steers to excavators/ crane on a RGN.
View Quote
Smart phone? When you are making your post, use the "select file" for uploading. Its below the type box. Select the file from your gallery, then when you see the image details magically appear in the media specifications text, press upload and wait a minute.

If you have an iphone, your on your own.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 7:04:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I think that is only for forum members.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:06:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:41:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Here is a frame for a 51 ford I picked up in Detroit in Oct hard to tell but I used 2" straps x over the frame then I used some smaller 1" ones on the front middle and back to keep it from shifting side to side stayed solid the 900+ miles back to Iowa (not my trailer though) but it has d rings mounted front middle and back welded to the frameAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:52:11 AM EDT
[#5]
For heavy equipment most of the time they have tie downs built onto the machine with these you use chain and load binders with moto graders you need to lock the machine from  articulating and put 2 chains in the front and 4 in the back as a safety just in case it  somehow were to articulate and this would go onto a RGN or lowboy and attach to the frame or tie down d rings depending on trailer
Attachment Attached File

On this picture you can see the tie down spot in the rear of a motograder
No pictures of this on a trailer though I will add some of more equipment later most of them ended up on my old phone

When doing this stuff we just use grade 70 transport chain with the screw type binders
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:03:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Brb encroaching maximum weight
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 10:43:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice! I'm a trailer athiest. I get the cheapest and run them into the ground.
I have a little 5x8 that I use for hauling pigs and sheep...and trash once in a while. I swear that is the most difficult trailer I've ever backed up! I've backed up semi's, tandem axles and generators...never had trouble till I got this little bastard.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:37:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:41:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you knew you were going to be doing something like hauling a couple pieces of plywood you could take some home made wood blocks or cinder blocks or something to use as spacers so the straps have something to tension against.

If you come off the tongue and go to the tailgate you can probably stay low enough, but it varies.

When I say come off the tongue, I figure you can wrap a strap of something around it or a support right there or something.

I have never owned a tube trailer

I guess to some extent with some of the longer straps I have I could slide a strap under the trailer and just wrap the whole trailer up maybe.  Depends on what the bottom looks like and skip being around the axle and suspension of course.
View Quote

I am coming into this thread a bit late, but I have another solution to the strapping down of flat items. I have a 16 foot car hauler, and a 4x8 Harbor Freight tilt bed. The smaller trailer gets used a lot, but bounces down the road when unloaded. I bought a couple of tubes of sand to stop the bouncing, but the sand tubes are fantastic for holding down things like steel rod, or plywood. Straps go over the sand tubes of course. I would put your doors on top of the tubes to prevent damage.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 3:50:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 4:32:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Found a pic of tying stuff down...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 4:47:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Found a pic of tying stuff down...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/165887/NCM-1391-166332.JPG
View Quote

Front and rear should have 2 straps I believe to be DOT correct

Also!

It is getting to be that time of year where people will start using trailers after sitting over the winter I strongly recommend doing a good check over of the trailer before use. Check bearings and lights if you have bearing buddies give them a pump or two of grease

I within last two weeks have gotten two trailers ready to go. one as backing plates with brake shoes, drums, new bearings ect other trailer I just finished today was magnets for the brake system seals and filled with new gear oil (wet bearing system)
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 6:32:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 6:44:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's a helluva lot of big straps.  Still, I cannot see any real way a load of hay like that could travel far without losing some.  What would be ideal?  A net of some sort?
View Quote
We put a tarp over the whole thing after the photo was taken.

I like my straps .
Not a single bale was lost .

Ideal is a van trailer (semi truck trailer) or other solid means. Or round bales, or big squares. Or go really slow.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 6:46:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How do I know whether I have bearing buddies?
View Quote
It will look like this on your hubs (the very center of your axle/wheel) 

You really only see them as "standard" equipment on boat trailers, unless whomever built the trailer goes the extra mile. 

ETA: They usually have caps on them like such:
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 7:05:20 PM EDT
[#17]
The best is when the axle has a grease fitting in it and it pushes grease into the center outwards bearing buddies push greasefrom one side to the other sometimes the inside bearing does not get much for grease

Here are some pics of the 20k trailer I installed magnets on
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 7:57:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The best is when the axle has a grease fitting in it and it pushes grease into the center outwards bearing buddies push greasefrom one side to the other sometimes the inside bearing does not get much for grease
View Quote
Those are awesome. Should be standard on all grease axles...
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:08:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Does this count as a trailer?

Had to haul this oversized fun box down the road leading to Bacons Castle and down RT460. It takes up a whole back road, and wouldn't you know it assholes still try to pass...
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 1:35:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:36:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'd say that counts.  

What is that oversize fun box?

It looks like a huge dumpster.
View Quote

That's what we like to call a Module Builder....basically you dump cotton in it and it builds a 50 foot long block of cotton and a truck comes and gets it.

Normally they are pulled by tractors, but we set our ole 9.0L up to tow them round when we gotta haul one to a farm or back to the shop for work.

And these are the trucks that come and pick up those modules.

Link Posted: 3/16/2017 2:23:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 8:25:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Back to the haybale pic and he said he put a tarp over the whole thing.

I bought a couple heavy canvas tarps from tractor supply or something on sale, the heavy canvas tarps can somewhat be used to secure things.

I really dislike the super cheap and thin blue plastic tarps or anything similar, had em shred going down the highway and just overall really like a heavy duty tarp.

I also keep a couple of those "bungee nets" they use on pickup beds around.  Can use em on a trailer as well.

Even when just hauling a big load of trash bags, throwing a net or tarp over it keeps the plastic bags from catching wind or anything and makes sure they all arrive at the dump.  I have to haul trash and yeah in a perfect world I would never need to haul a bunch at once.

I got a lot of really thin 55 gallon trash bags cheap, so they do their job for what I paid but if you look at em funny they get a hole.  So tarp or net solves that problem.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 12:17:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 12:48:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Module covers my friends, get you some. They work for covering cotton and work wonders for hay too

Farmers come and get our bad covers and patch them just enough with some tape or patch work of their own. The covers even have their own pull ties to tighten them up early d the hay.....unless the cover was marked bad because the ties were missing which is common
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 5:29:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Tag and bump, as I need a trailer and will have to come back to read this thread.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:59:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 11:04:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This is the most awesome effing trailer thread EVAH!!!    

I wish I'd kept my welding thread from going to archives.  I meant to, cuz it was awesome too.
View Quote
Start a new welding thread!!!

I am filming content for a couple welding vids now. Building my disc harrow and landscape rake.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 11:31:40 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm more handy with a grinder then I am welding........tells you just how good I am at welding
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 11:38:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 11:39:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:06:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I want to!  And link to my old thread in teh archives because there was so much good stuff there.

I thought I would seem narcissistic if I did that though.
View Quote
Mod privilege
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:10:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 8:22:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

But wait...

Isn't grinding a big part of welding/metalworking?

If so, that fits!

And I bought an angle grinder, but it's still in the box.  I didn't know what to do with it and I'm scared of it.
View Quote
I'm running a Makita that's as old as I am and still slings sparks farther then any of these new angle grinders lol
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:09:49 PM EDT
[#36]
whelp...won't be tying any load down for a while now...someone came into the lane and side swiped ole girl...sad to say but it may be a total loss unless they decide to fix it....shame really, 230K never looked so good, 7.3L too

I wasn't driving it, but my dad was, he ok doh
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:16:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
whelp...won't be tying any load down for a while now...someone came into the lane and side swiped ole girl...sad to say but it may be a total loss unless they decide to fix it....shame really, 230K never looked so good, 7.3L too

I wasn't driving it, but my dad was, he ok doh
http://i.imgur.com/zBeKLkl.jpg
View Quote
Damn. Keep that engine!
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:56:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Damn. Keep that engine!
View Quote
From the looks of it junkyard rear axle and a mirror maybe some springs and drive it buy it from ins company fix it and use it then you never have to worry about dings again
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:13:01 PM EDT
[#39]
May need a trans too, when he went to go put it in park it wouldn't go and he could hear it clunking under there. I hope they fix it, it one of the better looking F250's in this area with a 7.3 in it.....plus its got a few loaded tractor trailers pulled under its belt
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:00:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:01:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:16:17 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm hoping not, as bad as it looks the airbags didnt pop so thats a plus side, if they had thats an almost instant total. But this is the only truck on the yard that can haul the gooseneck, the other truck (01 2500HD 6.0L gasser) has a hitch, but to use it you gotta take the ladder rack off.

I mean its up in the air right now, surprised me that none of the leaf hangers broke, from what I saw only 1 leaf spring was broken along with both leaf blocks. The worst part is the trans not going into park and knocking...

Perfect idea.......take the motor and other needed parts out of this truck and put it in my 90 f150, ultimate summer project :D
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:30:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Alright, was just told that either way, trucks getting fixed. The rears gonna get set back in place and the leafs replaced with overload springs. Take all the tools and boxes off and hookups for a inverter........then send it off for some body work and paint, and to get the trans either fixed or replaced...............maybe a tuner and cold air intake if we can talk them into that

Either way, looks like the stroke lives to beat on gmc's another day
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Alright, was just told that either way, trucks getting fixed. The rears gonna get set back in place and the leafs replaced with overload springs. Take all the tools and boxes off and hookups for a inverter........then send it off for some body work and paint, and to get the trans either fixed or replaced...............maybe a tuner and cold air intake if we can talk them into that

Either way, looks like the stroke lives to beat on gmc's another day
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:01:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:18:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Is the rear axle bent?

Looks like it has to be.  

Are they replacing that?
View Quote
REar axle is not bent, it just broke the leaf blocks, drivers side leaf block moved with the axle while the passenger side leaf block just bent the u-bolts. It really does look worse then it is actually. Pops swears the motor wasn't knocking because all the pressures were good, reason he couldn't get it into park was because the drive shaft was snatched and everything was still spinning under there freely....still doesnt warrant that loud knocking, which i suspect is more transfer case then transmission
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:29:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:48:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Tranny plus Transfer Case is gonna be pricey in that truck.
View Quote
I'm thinking its just a transfer case issue......either way, they both cost lest then that hunk of motor
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 8:44:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Found the source of the clunking under the truck.....where the drive shaft hooks in at the first universal is a sleeve for the final part of the shaft about 6 inches long.

It was slapping everything under there with the truck still in gear.............so trans and transfer case should still be good

Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:43:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top