Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Posted: 3/3/2016 9:27:43 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 10:03:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Top one looks home made due to wheels, most come with wheels like #2. Check the welding to make sure it was done by someone who new how. If you can get them for 3-5 it is probably a fair deal. #2 saves you from having to put sides on it.  #1 will put more weight on tongue from looks of axe location, load accordingly, will probably tow at speed better.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 10:38:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 10:50:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's mine.  Mesh bed, but I put ply down on it, held down with fender washers and carriage bolts.

Road legal (once I replace the lights!) and great around the farm.  Bought at Lowes for about $400 maybe 10-12 years ago.

Carry-On 4x6 model

DSC_6625-ATV Firewood Trailer by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 10:54:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 11:17:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I would buy a name brand IF you can afford it you know what you are getting then. I've seen plenty of homebuilts with bent axles that eat tires. Led lights are great! And so are brakes dependinf on size.

I have been eyeing trailers for a while but have never pulled the trigger yet.

Also beware some of the discount TSC trailers can flex if not loaded correctly causing issues. And the paint on them is low quality so plan to touch up as needed
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 11:29:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 11:31:44 PM EDT
[#7]
My complaint with mesh metal trailers is twofold. First, they let road debris blow all over your load. Sometimes this doesn't matter, but other times maybe you don't want crud all over your stuff. Second, they can bend/warp from strapping a load down.

Were I forced to guess, I would say he put down a sheet of plywood on his mesh trailer to deal with both of these issues.

Diamond-plate decks are slippery as heck when they are wet, or if you have any sort of oil involved. Of course, the same can be said for pressure-treated wood decks as well. Wet traction is probably the only place where mesh excels. You could solve that with some non-skid I suppose.

More random tidbits...If you don't have a ramp then a tilt-deck is nice for loading a mower. LED lights are great. If you properly seal up your wiring connections then you won't have to worry about having a light out when you go to use the trailer.

Link Posted: 3/3/2016 11:37:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 11:59:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Don't go!

I have questions.

Can I replace the regular lights with LEDs in some simple way?

And what is the way to properly seal up the wiring connections on a trailer?  Same as in a home? (that's what I know about)

What is "non-skid"?  

Is that something I put down on the surface?

Y'all are talking in code here...
View Quote

You can buy entire assemblies, either online or at TSC. Amazon/eBay will be much cheaper than TSC! Or if you prefer, you can buy LED bulbs and use the existing housing. The housings are just held on with a pair of bolts usually, leaving you to just splice the wiring harness.

Heat shrink tubing is what you want to use to seal up your connections. Keeps water out, keeps it from corroding, makes it last much longer. Again, this stuff is usually cheaper online. I bought a bulk pack from eBay to do some wiring and its something like 50 cents for three feet of the stuff.

Non-skid is sold in different forms. I built a ramp for my shed and bought a gallon of paint from Lowes, I had them add the grit/sand to make it non-skid. It gives traction, think sandpaper or skateboard grip tape. You would paint it on the deck to keep it from being slippery when wet, or just slick in general.

Just looking on eBay real quick, here is an example of the lights. A whopping $22 to never replace bulbs again:

Link Posted: 3/4/2016 12:02:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 12:13:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

SO...a kit for turning my lights into LEDs and sealing them up..

AND....a bucket of paint from Lowe's, with sand added,  to make my surface non-skid so I can load my mower when it's raining...

Do I have that right?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't go!

I have questions.

And what is the way to properly seal up the wiring connections on a trailer?  Same as in a home? (that's what I know about)

What is "non-skid"?  

You can buy entire assemblies, either online or at TSC. Amazon/eBay will be much cheaper than TSC! Or if you prefer, you can buy LED bulbs and use the existing housing. The housings are just held on with a pair of bolts usually, leaving you to just splice the wiring harness.

Heat shrink tubing is what you want to use to seal up your connections. Keeps water out, keeps it from corroding, makes it last much longer. Again, this stuff is usually cheaper online. I bought a bulk pack from eBay to do some wiring and its something like 50 cents for three feet of the stuff.

Non-skid is sold in different forms. I built a ramp for my shed and bought a gallon of paint from Lowes, I had them add the grit/sand to make it non-skid. It gives traction, think sandpaper or skateboard grip tape.

Just looking on eBay real quick, here is an example of the lights. A whopping $22 to never replace bulbs again:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/bFEAAOSwZ1lWc8Sj/s-l500.jpg

AND....a bucket of paint from Lowe's, with sand added,  to make my surface non-skid so I can load my mower when it's raining...

Do I have that right?

Before I get anyone else jumping on me here, let me say that you can leave the trailer as you found it and maybe not have a single issue ever. Some people are lucky like that, I am not one of those people. My suggestions are based on personal experience and preference...that's my disclaimer of sorts. I may have slid on a wet trailer deck and fell down busting my shin open before. I also may have gone out to my trailer only to have the bulb not work because the contacts had rusted out completely because I leave it sitting in the open all the time and moisture ruined them.

Were I buying a trailer and it didn't already have a set of LED lights I would be replacing them along with the harness. I would solder my connections and seal them up with some good adhesive heat shrink before tucking it all inside some wire loom and securing it properly to the trailer. After that I would get Lowe's to mix me up some paint that matched and have them add the grit/sand so I would have wet traction and hopefully help protect it from the elements.

Sort answer...yes. I'll check out the thread tomorrow and see if you got any more questions.

Link Posted: 3/4/2016 12:30:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 12:47:55 AM EDT
[#13]
One thing to consider on the 8' trailers make sure you have atleast  8' when closed. My FIL bought one that is 8' and the door/rear gate takes 1" off that so you can't close it if you have sheet goods in it.

I personally only have a 16' car hauler with ramps. It has 2x wood slats that can be changed out when they go bad. If I need to stack anything loose on it I put a big tarp down and then cover once loaded and strap it down.

I am going to pick up something smaller to haul dirt bike and quad so maybe a 6x10 or so in the near future. I will get something with a 24-36" sides and and closed bottom.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 1:01:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Before I get anyone else jumping on me here, let me say that you can leave the trailer as you found it and maybe not have a single issue ever. Some people are lucky like that, I am not one of those people. My suggestions are based on personal experience and preference...that's my disclaimer of sorts. I may have slid on a wet trailer deck and fell down busting my shin open before. I also may have gone out to my trailer only to have the bulb not work because the contacts had rusted out completely because I leave it sitting in the open all the time and moisture ruined them.

Were I buying a trailer and it didn't already have a set of LED lights I would be replacing them along with the harness. I would solder my connections and seal them up with some good adhesive heat shrink before tucking it all inside some wire loom and securing it properly to the trailer. After that I would get Lowe's to mix me up some paint that matched and have them add the grit/sand so I would have wet traction and hopefully help protect it from the elements.

Sort answer...yes. I'll check out the thread tomorrow and see if you got any more questions.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't go!

I have questions.

What is "non-skid"?  

Non-skid is sold in different forms. I built a ramp for my shed and bought a gallon of paint from Lowes, I had them add the grit/sand to make it non-skid. It gives traction, think sandpaper or skateboard grip tape.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/bFEAAOSwZ1lWc8Sj/s-l500.jpg

Do I have that right?

This part right here.  Regular heat shrink is not going to do much other than keep your solder joints from shorting out.  The adhesive type has a glue that releases with heat and seals the joint and the ends of the heat shrink.  It can be found at most boating supply stores but can get expensive.  The LED kits can be found at most auto parts stores also (O'Rileys, Advance, Autozone) they may also have the good heat shrink.  One way to tell about the shrink is to look at the inside, if it is slick looking likely not the good type.  If it has a gummy appearance it is the good stuff.  Another way is to roll it in your fingers, if the sides of the shrink roll or slide easily its not the good stuff, if it won't slide it likely has the adhesive in it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 1:36:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 2:48:37 AM EDT
[#16]
I may be able to help here. On the farm, we have a shit ton of trailers. I now personally own 3 I built myself. I also used to drive truck, and was a yard switcher for over 4 years, so ask away

First, stay away from homemade. Unless you know what to look for, it could be a great over-built trailer, or a piece of scrap iron.

1. Weight rating. Don't know what your state laws are, but trailers less than 3000# gross capacity get permanent tags here and no trailer brake requirements. If you don't need a lot of capacity, look to one of these. Also cheap.

2. Stay away from aluminum. Yeah, they pull nice. They also crack like crazy. Unless you can weld aluminum, avoid.

3. Ideally, go for mesh floor on small trailers. Reason is snow/rain doesn't pile up on the bed. If you need a more sealed bed, pre-cut plywood at the ready works fine for a temporary solution.

4. Pivot bed or ramp? Avoid pivot bed. They are a PITA. Ramps are much better.

5. Removable sides. May not get much for options here, but they are GREAT for loading sheets of plywood or other items that are palletized. Option B is to set palletized goods on top of other pallets to get the bed height up to side height, or load from rear and push it up.

6. Full 8 feet of bed when ramps up. Makes hauling plywood much nicer. I think this was mentioned.

7. Folding ramps really help reduce wind drag, but will cost you $$. Not a big deal if you don't use it every week for long runs.

8. Good, solid bearings/hubs. Some el cheapo trailers have really crappy bearings/axles. I have an old 4x6 that is a piece of thin channel iron and some stubs welded on them half ass. Yeah, it hasn't failed, but if the trailer wasn't free, I would avoid. I did bend the axle, but it didn't beak . Its a dedicated yard trailer.

9. If you buy a used trailer, rewire it and use a new connector. It will save you TONS of trouble later. I would solder all connections, then heat shrink tubing. LEDs were discussed, I'm not sold. Had a couple fail, and it not a simple clean socket and new bulb repair. Maybe I just had bad luck.

All I've got off the top of my head. Of course, feel free to ask any questions.

I don't like getting trailers too small, but I've found that having a variety of trailers for different uses is great. I even have a trailer built from a 25ft camper that I made specifically for hauling lumber and building materials. It has no deck, just cross-members. Infinite tie-down points, and I can easily haul anything 22ft long! Only downside is I can't haul stuff in the rain I don't want getting wet. I have a pic of when I loaded it down with hay. I'll try to get it on photo bucket tomorrow. It was, shall we say, full

Link Posted: 3/4/2016 3:20:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

How do you choose a trailer that allows the replacement of the wood?  That's what I can't figure out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One thing to consider on the 8' trailers make sure you have atleast  8' when closed. My FIL bought one that is 8' and the door/rear gate takes 1" off that so you can't close it if you have sheet goods in it.

I personally only have a 16' car hauler with ramps. It has 2x wood slats that can be changed out when they go bad. If I need to stack anything loose on it I put a big tarp down and then cover once loaded and strap it down.

I am going to pick up something smaller to haul dirt bike and quad so maybe a 6x10 or so in the near future. I will get something with a 24-36" sides and and closed bottom.

How do you choose a trailer that allows the replacement of the wood?  That's what I can't figure out.

Most are bolted down with carriage bolts or similar from what I've seen.  I have seen some that are made where the 2x6's are slid in from the rear and kinda locked in with the ramp, sort of like the wood beds in old trucks.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 7:58:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Sold my old truck Wednesday after 14 years... time for her to go....now driving a PILOT

need a trailer as well and going to see a used on today..thanks for the mention of checking welds..
this one is 50x96 interior measure..just refinished with new floor on  trailer, drop down tailgate, new LED lights etc. Was used to "haul a mower and stuff"...

seeing it in an hour...$350 V 700.00 for comparable??? thinking its a done deal
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 10:02:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Another thing you want to do is check your hitch height with the trailer connected. It should be level, or as close to it as you can get. This means you might be buying a short drop hitch, but it will keep it from swaying around. For some reason the small utility trailers really get sketchy if they are towed at an angle. Probably because they are so short and there is not a lot of room for adjusting the position of the load.

The tires are something else you want to pay attention to. Chinese tires will dry-rot really fast. I actually have a set of Carlisle tires on my pop-up that have only been on the trailer for a year and they have dry rotted to the point that I don't trust them to leave the yard. I hear really good things about the Goodyear Marathon tires.

Eventually I would like to get a small tractor, and the current trailer can't handle the weight. I have seen one of these tandem-axle trailers out in the wild hauling a side-by-side UTV and thought it would be perfect for the small tractor. Anyone have experience with one of these? They look sturdy enough to haul quite a load but are still only 8' so they are still easy to use for small jobs. If I had to guess they are just as expensive as the 16' cousin just half the length.

Link Posted: 3/4/2016 10:51:56 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Another thing you want to do is check your hitch height with the trailer connected. It should be level, or as close to it as you can get. This means you might be buying a short drop hitch, but it will keep it from swaying around. For some reason the small utility trailers really get sketchy if they are towed at an angle. Probably because they are so short and there is not a lot of room for adjusting the position of the load.

The tires are something else you want to pay attention to. Chinese tires will dry-rot really fast. I actually have a set of Carlisle tires on my pop-up that have only been on the trailer for a year and they have dry rotted to the point that I don't trust them to leave the yard. I hear really good things about the Goodyear Marathon tires.

Eventually I would like to get a small tractor, and the current trailer can't handle the weight. I have seen one of these tandem-axle trailers out in the wild hauling a side-by-side UTV and thought it would be perfect for the small tractor. Anyone have experience with one of these? They look sturdy enough to haul quite a load but are still only 8' so they are still easy to use for small jobs. If I had to guess they are just as expensive as the 16' cousin just half the length.

http://armadilloautomotive.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/IMG_0204.jpg
View Quote
The reason the price is the same, or virtually the same is because the money of building a trailer has almost nothing to do with length. You still have the same hitch, lights, axles, fenders, ramp, etc. The difference in cost to make it longer, especially by a company that has cheap raw materials, is minimal.

Link Posted: 3/4/2016 11:19:35 AM EDT
[#21]
They may be a little spendy around $1500 but you will not be disappointed with PJ or LoadTrail trailers out of Texas.  They sell them everywhere through local dealers.   http://www.pjtrailers.com/comparisons/utility-trailers/

I have a PJ 5x10 and used to borrow the same size Loadtrail.  I like the 10' as it allows a bit more wiggle room with materials.  I can haul 12' lumber without a flag and I can stick 16' through the front rails over the tongue and still not need a flag or worry about load balance.  A little 8 footer will not be as fun with a dozen 16'  2x10's.

After 8 years the front vertical rails have worn the powder coat off from road debris/sand and started to rust but an easy fix with some paint.  It has easy lube axles so you can remove the axle cap and hook a greasegun to the zirk(sp?) fitting rather than remove the whole wheel assembly to relube bearings.  I did not utilize this feature however and recently replaced the axle due to bearing disintegration.    Complete new factory axle with bearings and hubs, $100 and an hour of my time.

A 5' also shares the same wheel track as my tow vehicle so towing is less worrisome than a trailer that sticks out a foot further.  I can drag it through any drive through that my truck will fit.  Exhausted after loading 2 tons of dirt on the trailer I don't want to have to get out and stand in line to get lunch.

It's easy to move around the yard if you push down on the tail of the trailer and shove it where you want it.

An 8' deck tilts rather steeply compared to longer beds.  If it's wet, you probably will not be able to drive onto it.  I prefer wood decks.  Normally you can slide the deck piece past the deck retaining flange to get both ends under the flange then screw them down to the cross channels.  If need be, you can screw anchors anywhere you need them on a wood deck.  if you want to keep something from sliding screw a temporary cleat down.

Supposedly the PJ family was a big happy unit then one day one of them moved across the country road from the fabrication plant in nowhere TX and started a competing company.

PJ has a round tube(instead of angle iron) 5x10 tilt deck with removable side rails.  With the rails removed it can still haul the rated load.  Nothing special about it other than it looks nicer with the tubing.

Although I have the full 60 inches of deck on the trailer, my 44" cut mower deck is a close shave between the fenders.  Measure your mower deck to insure it will fit.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 4:39:18 PM EDT
[#22]
A lot of folks who can weld will put new wood down and then weld a piece of metal across the ends to hold them in.  I don't have a welder and would cut this off when replacing and then bolt the metal back down, might have to add metal to it to do so.

Pressure treated wood has a life expectancy.  But I do tend to prefer a wood deck to a solid metal deck cause metal gets awfully hot in the summer.

A lot of folks with mesh floors will keep some marine grade plywood around, or just bolt it to the trailer, so something like a mower won't put pressure on the same exact mesh area all the time.  It can weaken the mesh and then the mesh sags and when mesh starts breaking you now have sharp metal.  This does kind of depend on how stout the mesh is.  I bought a used trailer with some really weak mesh but where a mower or 4 wheeler would place its weight the trailer has wood planks for the tires to ride on.  The mesh keeps anything from falling through the trailer, like if a strap came loose or something.

I think I have 3 trailers right now that are mine, got half of one at an uncles.  One of mine tracks with the little wrangler perfectly.  Another one a bit bigger tracks with the f150 perfectly.  Another one is due to be a parts trailer soon due to it just being scrap metal for the most part.

I would not worry what lights come with a trailer even if buying brand spankin new.  LED lights for a boat trailer are waterproof and you can get em at amazon or wally world.  Wire it up and go.  Run the wire under the trailer and use conduit, garden hose, or old pvc or something to protect the wires from road debris.

If you do not already have some serious ratchet straps, do some reading and looking before buying cheap stuff.  Tractor supply had some rated at 3k or so lbs, think it was 3300 maybe, for 10 bucks for one strap.  The ends are soso cause I don't like the hook design but it was a decent price for a big strap and I like straps.  I have some smaller 2k rated straps that I got at sams club in a 4 pack.  Was 20 bucks for 4 and I expect the price has gone up.  Walmart had a 2 pack for almost 20 bucks as well.  

On a ratchet strap I want a larger size so it actually can ratchet and get some tension on things, I want a comfortable grip for doing this, and since I buy multiples of the same thing if I lose a part or a strap gets cut I can still have spares.  I have some really short straps that are from me not paying attention to how I ran a strap and it got worn on something and weakened.

I prefer a 15 inch tire, walmart had mounted spare tire on a rim for 100 bucks a while back.  Not best price or tire but I like an actual spare tire for my stuff.

Pirate 4x4 has a whole thread on their towing section for trailer tricks or something like that.  It is little custom stuff people did with their trailer to make it work better.

Expedition portal has a whole section on trailers and you can read up on various axle weights and reasons why people want some stuff.

My jeep won't tow a trailer actually needing a 3500 lb axle, but that axle having larger bearings and being set up how I want works better for me than a tiny 1k lb axle.

Read up on security.  Trailers are easy to steal and easy to sell.  When you are looking at used trailers look for a vin plate.  Home made will have no vin or a home made something or other on the vin plate.  Not sure how your state does it.

In tn I don't even need a license plate if I stay in state with my little trailers so it is amazing what folks will tow.

read up on safety chains and good and better ways to hook them up.  Also learn how far you can jack knife the trailer with your vehicle.  I bought some adjustable height hitch inserts so I don't care about trailer tongue height that much, simpler to just adjust to it so things are level since I tow with more than one vehicle.

For something like a little wrangler lots of folks still put brakes on the trailer even though it is not legally required.  Little wrangler that tows a lot can benefit from it.  I have usually had larger vehicles and most of them did not even notice the trailer unless it was huge.

My stuff currently has really steep ramps.  But I have some 2x12s with actual 2x12 aluminum ramp ends for loading stuff in my pickup and these make loading stuff in a trailer easy.  I might buy another set this year and cut it down for each trailer perhaps, trailers all sit lower than the ford f150.  There is stuff like skateboard tape you can buy in a roll and add to ramps or a trailer or whatever, just like glueing sand paper down on it.  For ramps like this make a way so the ramps can not just kick out on you, make a way to pin them to the trailer or whatever.  I find the ramps useful for all sorts of silliness, I have backed the truck up to a porch and used the ramps for loading or unloading stuff on the porch.  Or a muddy spot in the yard that was more of a ditch and I wanted to mow on the other side.

Measure your mower carefully and have a couple inches for the deck to move side to side.  They tend to not be very rigid.

For people planning to keep their trailer long term I highly recomend taking apart the bearings and greasing them with synthetic grease for boat trailers, I just like the water proof aspect.  This year should see me actually getting some of those lovely bearing caps with the grease fitting.  Makes greasing easy.

Go ahead and run some searches for trailer dealers in your area.  Lots of them will pop up most likely and should beat lowes prices.  Unless you have a coupon or lowes has a sale they seem high down here.

Trailer I went half on with an uncle was for his zero turn mower.  Needed a quality ramp and did not want to mess with wooden ramps like I do so we got a 6x10 with a big flip up ramp.  It is nice but it also cost more than I have in my 2 used trailers.

If I had to do everything with one, I could see doing that but it is a bit big for the little tj so the tj got a mini me trailer.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 5:17:52 PM EDT
[#23]
I thought you meant these types of trailers

Link Posted: 3/4/2016 10:04:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 10:22:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 10:24:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 10:27:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 10:30:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 10:36:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 10:37:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 9:40:02 AM EDT
[#31]
If you are having trouble with traction have you tried airing down the tires? I have a hill in my front yard that my mower struggles to go up at times, so I aired down my tires and it really helps. Its a traction issue, not a steepness or angle issue. When the current regular turf tires are useless I plan to replace them with some ATV tires...unless I fall into a pile of money beforehand. Then there will be something orange and diesel powered replacing them!

One thing about a ramp on a small trailer I enjoyed was being able to see exactly where the trailer was in my mirrors. Sometimes the small trailer just disappears behind the truck and that ramp is like a flag. What I did not like about having a ramp on a small trailer was hauling something just a shade longer than the deck, then being unable to close the ramp. And of course it is always too heavy or awkward to prop up at an angle.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 10:40:19 AM EDT
[#32]
One thing that can cause problems with loading a mower is the breakover angle at the top of the ramps. Some mower decks don't have much ground clearance. That is where the tilt deck trailers can help. Longer ramps can also help. A one piece full width ramp is probably safer for loading a mower, especially when it's slippery.

I have a zero turn that had issues with traction on my wood ramps and with the breakover angle. I pull the trailer with a full size truck that has an adjustable height hitch, so what I do is raise the tongue height, that reduces the steepness of the ramps and reduces the breakover angle. I haven't had any issues with trailer stability.

One major safety factor when pulling trailers that I didn't see mentioned was make sure you have at least 10-15% of your gross trailer weight as tongue weight. If you have less than that the trailer can start swaying as you're going down the road. It's like the tail wagging the dog and it can be very dangerous, it can put you in the ditch or into oncoming traffic. That's also where a heavier tow vehicle with a longer wheelbase is always better than the opposite.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 11:54:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Like dairyfarmer said the break over can be a problem.  I have a set of ramps that I use for loading m mower into my truck.  Similar to these.  Which makes it much more easy to load, the arch in the ramp lets the mower deck clear the break angle easily.

Sorry about the typo.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 12:09:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Tilt trailers are generally not as heavy of a frame or deck. It basically takes 2 people to load a mower or ATV on a tilt trailer, unless the trailer has struts to keep it up, as they naturally want to fall down.

You may want to consider a 16' if it's an option for a couple reasons:

It may seem counter intuitive, but longer trailers are easier to back up.

You will find lots of stuff to haul all of a sudden that need a longer trailer.

Unless the 8 foot has a single axle and low weight, they cost the same to maintain. Check local regs though.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 12:16:50 PM EDT
[#35]
I own six trailers ranging from 14k gross down to 1k gross.

If I were to own one trailer for your describe uses, it would absolutely be made out of aluminum, would have a 3k axle, and would have power brakes.

Something im the 6x10 range, with a drop down ramp.

That would be the lightest, most universally capable configuration I can think of that would suit many uses well.

I always talked shit about aluminum trailers until I owned one. They are so easy to move around. Can be used by lawn tractors and vehicles alike.

My next favorite is my 21ft, 14k wood hauler. Ive had over 20k worth of red oak in it on several occasions. It's a beast.

Eta: whatever you do, do not buy any of the box store trailers. H&H, Aluma, or another reputable maker from an actual trailer sales store will serve you far better.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 4:10:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'm wishing for a deal like that!

But I have a 54" deck, so I need a wider interior.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sold my old truck Wednesday after 14 years... time for her to go....now driving a PILOT

need a trailer as well and going to see a used on today..thanks for the mention of checking welds..
this one is 50x96 interior measure..just refinished with new floor on  trailer, drop down tailgate, new LED lights etc. Was used to "haul a mower and stuff"...

seeing it in an hour...$350 V 700.00 for comparable??? thinking its a done deal

I'm wishing for a deal like that!

But I have a 54" deck, so I need a wider interior.

me too...but, If my mower needs to go to town, the mowers broke...I keep the deck going and the only place I"d use it is our church and we have a Deere there aleary

so, for 1/2 the money, I got good enough..hauled 2 loads to the dump from the garden, a load of building material and back home with no worries for $350!!!! I did OK!!
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 11:15:59 PM EDT
[#37]
I didn't see where you mention what your tow vehicle is? Makes a difference....

Lots of good info on lights but I didn't see anyone mention paying attention to the LOCATION or mounting of the lights. I've seen a lot of trailers with busted lenses or the entire assembly busted off. I've also seen mfrs try welding shields around the lights which once someone inevitably busts out the lens is too small to house a new fixture. My point is you should consider trailer lights to be "consumables" and pay attention to ease of repair or replacement if needed.

Something else to pay attention to is if the wheels and tires are a standard size. On the road with a trailer blowout is NOT the time to discover the wheels are from a 1955 Studebaker!

As previously mentioned, short trailers are usually harder to back and narrow trailers are hard to view using your side mirrors.  I like to be able to see that my trailer is still following me with a quick glance at a side mirror. I expect once you have a trailer you'll find yourself saying "I should have bought a bigger trailer!"
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 11:57:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Some people tow with a vehicle that is overloaded.  For short distances on flat ground at times when there is no traffic this is not a big deal.  

You plan to tow on a regular basis and it is for a rental unit so you have to do the work.  Having a vehicle rated for what you tow means the transmission and brakes are sized for the load and the suspension can handle the tongue weight.  A one time thing or not caring is what it is.  You have a business to cover with your stuff so you need it to work.  in summer when it is really hot.  In bad weather.  All the time basically.  You want the vehicle to be able to handle the trailer and load in an emergency stop or swerve to avoid a wreck.  I noticed a difference towing with my jeep when I went from some soso tires that were worn out to some actual light truck rated tires, just c load range cause it is a little jeep.  The tires handle the weight better in stopping and turning.

I consider a hitch receiver on a tow vehicle to be a tool.  Buy one of the clevis inserts for 30 bucks and now you can hook up a strap or winch or something and get dragged backwards or drag something forwards.  I have some little hitch carriers that are nice for smaller loads, lot easier than driving a trailer around.

An adjustable height hitch, buy a good one if you get one, lets you rent or borrow a trailer or use a different vehicle with your trailer.  

My thing with tilt trailers is age and a wreck.  That tilt is what connects your deck to the frame.  I load and unload in yards and on slopes and all sorts of stuff.  I don't want to play with a tilt trailer not wanting to tilt or being annoying.  I strap my stuff down enough it won't go anywhere in sudden stops or turns.  I could get by with some of the more sturdy tilt trailers but after helping a neighbor with his several years back I got to where I want ramps.  My wooden ramps let me have a low breakover angle for something like a mower with a deck that drags easy.  Something like a 4 wheeler can handle a steep ramp.  Having short ramps is fine by me, I tend to attach my big ramps to them when loading and unloading.

Look at how tailgates come off.  My uncle has had the tailgate off my half of a good trailer when hauling some long sheetrock.  Think he bought 12 foot and trailer is 10 ft.  So take gate off and he had some wood underneath to support that 2 foot.  Sheetrock would be something to be careful strapping in but if hauling plywood or something a strap going across the plywood on the end top to bottom will get it.  Basically imagine making an X across the end of whatever is sticking out with a couple straps.  Something like plywood will usually do fine that way, but I don't buy expensive and flimsy stuff so maybe this would not work for cabinet grade something or other cause it would hurt the edge a tad.  In which case you find something sacrificial like a 2x4 or something to protect your plywood.

I agree with protecting the tail lights, it is why I mentioned that pirate thread.  Think I did.  Those guys did a ton of custom work and some is way beyond what I want to mess with but some is nice and common sense and not hard to do.

Once you have a trailer look at it and how you can attach straps and like I said, buy some good ones.  For specific loads, like your mower, you will learn where to park the mower for decent tongue weight and how to strap it down in very short time periods.

I rather like the angle iron on a trailer instead of some of the round stuff cause I stick eyelets in where I want em.  Use some big washer and keep in mind your load limits for something like this and you can set up your trailer for exactly what you need.

I just got in from working a double shift so I am done unwinding for now and will check in later.

On the trailer you want even tire wear, take it for a spin or let him drive it around so you can watch for anything odd.  You want to look at the lines and see if anything looks bent or dented, not uncommon to use a big strap and bend in some of the smaller support rails on a trailer.  Suspension of trailer can vary but if you see grease fittings they should look clean and used now and then.  Make sure the lights work or not.  If it is a wooden deck check how good the wood is, I have some that looks awesome and you can walk on but it is soft if you poke it and overall it is close to being shot depending on how I want to use the trailer.  Right now a piece of plywood can be used to spread out the load, but that plywood can let things move if you don't strap it down well.

Link Posted: 3/6/2016 1:40:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 3:23:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 9:16:20 AM EDT
[#41]
5x10, do it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 12:35:10 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Posted by biere:
Okay I feel really stupid, but I don't know what any of this means and it sounds really important.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Posted by biere:

I consider a hitch receiver on a tow vehicle to be a tool. Buy one of the clevis inserts for 30 bucks and now you can hook up a strap or winch or something and get dragged backwards or drag something forwards. I have some little hitch carriers that are nice for smaller loads, lot easier than driving a trailer around.

An adjustable height hitch, buy a good one if you get one, lets you rent or borrow a trailer or use a different vehicle with your trailer.

Okay I feel really stupid, but I don't know what any of this means and it sounds really important.
Receiver hitch

This is what is bolted on your tow vehicle. Once installed, does not leave the vehicle.

D shackle accessory

Handy accessory. Makes hooking up a chain or strap easy, used to pull or be pulled.

Adjustable ball mount

Lets you easily adjust the height of your trailer tongue. Ideal where you pull multiple trailers. Fixed height are cheaper (albeit not by too much) if you pull the same thing over and over, or some of us with different trailer ball sizes have multiple so no switching the ball is necessary.

Standard ball mount

Standard, fixed height, not adjustable.

Most important, what is your tow vehicle again?

On those trailers you posted, does your state to permanent trailer tabs on small trailers? If so, I would consider a 10' model with ramp. You would be surprised how hard it is to back up an 8' trailer, ramp version. 10' won't be too much better, but it will be better. You will never kick yourself for buying a bigger trailer.

Make sure you get a spare tire and keep it on the trailer. Since you don't have tandem axles, you cannot chain up the axle with the flat.

How critical is a smooth ride for the trailer for you? Single axle trailers (unless they have a very generous suspension, which these do NOT) will bounce like crazy, and give a very rough ride compared to dual axle designs.

To be honest, those trailers don't look overly built, but if you don't plan on putting more than 1000 pounds in them, they should work fine.

Link Posted: 3/6/2016 1:23:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 1:44:16 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
At present I plan to tow with an ancient Isuzu Trooper because that vehicle already has the towing system set up, though I may have to change something out.    It's a POS vehicle now and will be used ONLY for towing. I'll probably just leave the trailer hooked up to it most of the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Posted by biere:

I consider a hitch receiver on a tow vehicle to be a tool. Buy one of the clevis inserts for 30 bucks and now you can hook up a strap or winch or something and get dragged backwards or drag something forwards. I have some little hitch carriers that are nice for smaller loads, lot easier than driving a trailer around.

Receiver hitch

This is what is bolted on your tow vehicle. Once installed, does not leave the vehicle.

D shackle accessory

Handy accessory. Makes hooking up a chain or strap easy, used to pull or be pulled.

Adjustable ball mount

Lets you easily adjust the height of your trailer tongue. Ideal where you pull multiple trailers. Fixed height are cheaper (albeit not by too much) if you pull the same thing over and over, or some of us with different trailer ball sizes have multiple so no switching the ball is necessary.

Standard ball mount

Standard, fixed height, not adjustable.

Most important, what is your tow vehicle again?

On those trailers you posted, does your state to permanent trailer tabs on small trailers? If so, I would consider a 10' model with ramp. You would be surprised how hard it is to back up an 8' trailer, ramp version. 10' won't be too much better, but it will be better. You will never kick yourself for buying a bigger trailer.

Make sure you get a spare tire and keep it on the trailer. Since you don't have tandem axles, you cannot chain up the axle with the flat.

How critical is a smooth ride for the trailer for you? Single axle trailers (unless they have a very generous suspension, which these do NOT) will bounce like crazy, and give a very rough ride compared to dual axle designs.

To be honest, those trailers don't look overly built, but if you don't plan on putting more than 1000 pounds in them, they should work fine.

At present I plan to tow with an ancient Isuzu Trooper because that vehicle already has the towing system set up, though I may have to change something out.    It's a POS vehicle now and will be used ONLY for towing. I'll probably just leave the trailer hooked up to it most of the time.
Looks like that Trooper has the tow capacity of 5000 pounds. Any of the trailers on that craigslist add you can pull.

Link Posted: 3/6/2016 2:53:02 PM EDT
[#45]
So you bought a mesh trailer and bolted wood to the mesh? Why?

I mean, did you buy mesh because that's what was available within your budget?

And then, something happened that made you bolt wood to it?

Please elaborate.

I really don't know anything, and need to understand the options.
View Quote

I bought mesh because that's all they had and I figured the mud would wash through easier (original intent was as an ATV trailer.  That's why I modded the ramp, to allow more tail-end clearance).  Then, I had to move a gunsafe about 10 miles.  To make things easier I didn't want to untie the safe from the hand truck I was moving it out of the house with, and was worried about the hand-truck top ripping through the mesh.  Put plywood down to distribute the weight and have never taken it off.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 3:07:56 PM EDT
[#46]
ETA: I am also interested in your carport construction (or whatever that is behind the ATV in your photo) That's on our list too.
View Quote

That's what I call the wood shed;  it's a 12x20 pole shed.  Posts are 4x4 treated, 2x10x10 headers (doubled) and 2x4x14 (untreated) rafters on 16" centers (rafters tied to the posts are (each end and center) are 2x6 treated).  I used those metal hangers on the rafter so I wouldn't have to notch each one.  Roof is metal panels; 4x12, ordered at the local lumberyard. I used 1x2 purlins to screw the roof down and did some minor blocking on the rafters where the purlin dimension wouldn't span.  Pitch is about a little shallower that ideal, but good enough for my purposes (drops 3 feet over 14 foot run).

Then just dumped gravel on the dirt to provide drainage and more or less level the floor.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 5:01:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Someone covered the definitions but they are things you want to learn and learn well anyway.

Lots of folks misuse the terms, either through confusion or ignorance or stupidity.  

When looking at a hitch for your vehicle or vehicles I highly recomend looking at 2 inch stuff.  For lightweight stuff they make something smaller and for super duper weights they make something like a 2.5 inch size I guess.

My hitch carriers all came with 2 inch inserts for the hitch.  While there are adapters out there, adapters tend to add length and floppiness to the setup.

My hitch insert for a clevis is by warn and was from back when they first came out and they were the only ones I saw.  These days most everyone seems to make one and many are probably the same thing with a different name and color on it.  Pay attention to ratings.  Same goes for the hitch and hitch insert and straps and everything, ratings are a big deal in my opinion.

I have a locking cross pin or bar or whatever you want to call it for my hitch and I have some various stuff for locking up the trailers.  The hitch pin/bar/whatever has to get cut off to get it off, or if there is room a properly sized pipe can be used to bend it and snap it.  The stuff for locking the trailer tongue is sometimes just going to keep honest people honest.  

There was a decent thread in general discussion about a stolen trailer and it turned into methods of locking stuff, so run searches on it.

I have some pretty decent chain, big and rated for serious stuff, and padlocks that are decent but not astounding.  So running the chain through some wheels and the frame of the trailer and around something at the house that won't move, lots of folks dig a hole and pour some concrete and set a locking ring or something into it for chaining stuff down.

The backing up part will come with time.  If you can't see the empty trailer out your back window a lot of folks put some lightweight flexible poles or something on the trailer so it is easier to see.  Also easier to back the vehicle up to it and be close to the tongue.  The jeep is a short wheelbase so it backs stuff ok, the ford is a regular cab shortbed so it also backs stuff ok.  The jeep has a nice low gear and 4x4 low, so it really makes it easy to put the trailer where I want it.  The ford has a highway gear setup and reverse is not the low so some clutch slipping occurs if I want things perfect.  Generally I give up on perfection early.

I like stuff that tracks with the vehicle cause it makes it easier to tow, I sometimes tow my junk long distances and having a trailer wider than the vehicle's track means I am more likely to clip curbs and stuff.  Not that big a deal, but if possible I take the trailer that matches the vehicle.

Link Posted: 3/6/2016 10:08:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 12:29:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Some additional thoughts.  I dislike trailers with tailgates or attached ramps.  I have things loaded with a forklift often and disconnecting the attached ramp is problematic.

Side rails that are bolted on rather than welded can be replaced with any height sideboard or rails you prefer.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 12:46:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top