Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 21
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:51:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That is amazing, and I can't wait to see the landscaping.  Love the rock steps.  That's my kind of coop.

You know to not landscape around the run, right?  Unless it's Yucca filamentosa of reasonable size (or the equivalent indestructible vegetation), they will destroy it.

ETA:  The architectural shingles are a nice touch.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cuttingedge how are your chickens doing?  Did I miss their move into their chicken palace?

Sorry that I had not replied. Yes you missed it I waited until the weather was a little warmer and confined them to the coop for a week or so. While they were in the coop, I put together a 12x12 covered run for them. Everything is done with the coop yet I need to finish the landscaping around it. Work and other things have gotten in the way but I should have time in the next week or so
Here is a pic http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j477/jpmako19/Mobile%20Uploads/B1D07E6D-DB39-4760-872B-3C70E4E7096F_zpsmojfoagi.jpg

That is amazing, and I can't wait to see the landscaping.  Love the rock steps.  That's my kind of coop.

You know to not landscape around the run, right?  Unless it's Yucca filamentosa of reasonable size (or the equivalent indestructible vegetation), they will destroy it.

ETA:  The architectural shingles are a nice touch.  

I am only going to landscape around the coop itself. It will all be inside of a rock border as see on the one side of the coop. It will be a mixture of perennials such as Coreopsis, Little princess Spirea, Nepeta, Shasta Daisy, Rudbeckia and probably some creeping Phlox to cascade over the rocks.
Since we had the shingles done on our house and other outbuildings last year, I felt that I needed to match those or it would look really out of place!
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:06:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 1:21:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's a few pics of my chicks;

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 4:01:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Next generation meat birds are in the oven. Literally

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:56:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

My chickens (now up to 20 hens and 1 rooster) have created some nice sand traps to what patchy lawn I did have...  Wife and I figured its ether chickens or lawn, and well, we like the chickens to much.

I did fence of a small portion of front yard I wanted to keep nice with some deer netting.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:45:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 8:37:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Long story short:

I go to let the dog out before bed last night and he is on the deck and I hear a heavy step on the crushed stone.  Full size animal or human IMO.  I grabbed my dog and bring him back in, as if its coyote I don't want him chasing after them.  I grab the shotgun and a light, come back out and do a quick top yard scan where I thought I heard it, nothing.  I let the dog out, then head for bed, but for the heck of it I look out our bedroom window and shine a light on the coop,  and notice the feeders look out of place.  I stair a moment more and make sure its not an optical illusion and I see them move.

I immediately know something's inside the coop so I grab a headlamp, my flashlight and a few extra shells for my single shot 20GA thinking its probably a raccoon.  I get to the coop and see a huge gash in the runs fencing, and quickly realize its a bear.  He knocked over one feeder and must have been eating all the feed.  Probably took off when I went outside to inspect the coop.

Wife and I patch it up with some scrap fencing and stack some temporary fence sections all around the coop.  I sat out on the deck, 1911 in hand for a good hour and nothing.  We left the outside lights on and went to bed.  This AM my wife calls me early and wakes me up says one of the birds got out and the bear was back.  Sure enough pulled our mend apart knocked the fence sections over and finished off the other feeder.  Fortunately it didn't get into the upper section and have chicken dinner.

Rooster never made a peep during ether coop burglary...  Maybe he figured silence was the best option for a big predator?  He goes crazy when a hawk does a flyby of the coop?  Or anything else goes bump in the night?

My guess is its an adolescent or young adult somewhere in the 100~200 pound range judging by the entry hole.  Also left a big pile-o crap to mark his work.  Birds promptly ate that up.  

Any ideas how to deal with a bear?  

I am going to remove my feeders for now, and just leave them a bowl of food, and pull it after dark.  At least he didn't get a taste for the chickens.

I will post some pictures later this afternoon,
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 9:37:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Long story short:

I go to let the dog out before bed last night and he is on the deck and I hear a heavy step on the crushed stone.  Full size animal or human IMO.  I grabbed my dog and bring him back in, as if its coyote I don't want him chasing after them.  I grab the shotgun and a light, come back out and do a quick top yard scan where I thought I heard it, nothing.  I let the dog out, then head for bed, but for the heck of it I look out our bedroom window and shine a light on the coop,  and notice the feeders look out of place.  I stair a moment more and make sure its not an optical illusion and I see them move.

I immediately know something's inside the coop so I grab a headlamp, my flashlight and a few extra shells for my single shot 20GA thinking its probably a raccoon.  I get to the coop and see a huge gash in the runs fencing, and quickly realize its a bear.  He knocked over one feeder and must have been eating all the feed.  Probably took off when I went outside to inspect the coop.

Wife and I patch it up with some scrap fencing and stack some temporary fence sections all around the coop.  I sat out on the deck, 1911 in hand for a good hour and nothing.  We left the outside lights on and went to bed.  This AM my wife calls me early and wakes me up says one of the birds got out and the bear was back.  Sure enough pulled our mend apart knocked the fence sections over and finished off the other feeder.  Fortunately it didn't get into the upper section and have chicken dinner.

Rooster never made a peep during ether coop burglary...  Maybe he figured silence was the best option for a big predator?  He goes crazy when a hawk does a flyby of the coop?  Or anything else goes bump in the night?

My guess is its an adolescent or young adult somewhere in the 100~200 pound range judging by the entry hole.  Also left a big pile-o crap to mark his work.  Birds promptly ate that up.  

Any ideas how to deal with a bear?  

I am going to remove my feeders for now, and just leave them a bowl of food, and pull it after dark.  At least he didn't get a taste for the chickens.

I will post some pictures later this afternoon,
View Quote

That sucks It is something that I worry about all of the time as I have Chickens and Bees. Up here we can contact the Game Wardens and they will set-up a trap to deal with the bear. We can also get a discounted electric fence by calling the Division of Wildlife if we have bears near our bees. I have yet to see one or evidence of one but I know that they are around. I hope to never see one near my apiary but plan on doing a solar electric fence either this fall or in the spring.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 2:29:12 PM EDT
[#10]
What are the laws out there for shooting bear for killing livestock?

Follow up question, can you dig a decent size hole and be able to back fill it without anybody seeing you?

Disclaimer: Don't do anything illegal.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 4:12:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I would probably be OK, and if its wrecking my coop again and goes after the chickens its at least getting peppered with bird shot.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/81531.html

If destroying livestock or an apiary, no permit is necessary to take a black bear; however, you must promptly notify the nearest Environmental Conservation Officer (ECO) to make arrangements for delivering the carcass (find an ECO near you). Also, DEC may issue a permit for a landowner to take if there is proof that the bear is causing property damage
View Quote

I spent all morning fixing the coop and cleaning things up  

Link Posted: 8/4/2016 4:25:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Follow up question, can you dig a decent size hole and be able to back fill it without anybody seeing you?

View Quote

I have access to a backhoe so I could have one dug and filled back in no time  sorry to hear about the problem
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 4:28:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Bear vs coop:

I didn't start take pictures till after I took down the tossed around feeders:

The fencing used to be nice and tight up against the coop... Not so much now.  I think the bear had a hard time finding its way back out.

I spend all morning mending it and putting up some new fencing.  2x4 is temporary till I know he is not coming back.  They usually try what worked best for them last time.

I might have to break out my chainsaw mill this week and mill some thin boards I can use to box it in a bit more, but truth of the matter is, unless Its totally enclosed its going to rip tear and break stuff anyways.  I think pulling the food each night is best option to start with.

Link Posted: 8/4/2016 5:21:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I would probably be OK, and if its wrecking my coop again and goes after the chickens its at least getting peppered with bird shot.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

If destroying livestock or an apiary, no permit is necessary to take a black bear; however, you must promptly notify the nearest Environmental Conservation Officer (ECO) to make arrangements for delivering the carcass (find an ECO near you). Also, DEC may issue a permit for a landowner to take if there is proof that the bear is causing property damage

Well, there is your answer.

Link Posted: 8/4/2016 8:44:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have access to a backhoe so I could have one dug and filled back in no time  sorry to hear about the problem
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too a backhoe and woods. End of story
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 11:59:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Great thread so far with some really nice looking coops and runs (and baby goats! so cute...lol).  

I started building a coop the other day.  I have a bunch of scrap wood from work so it's not costing me anything yet other than time.  I don't really have any plans but I will need to think about a window or two and ventilation. I still haven't figured out where I'm putting it yet but there's time for that once I get closer to finishing it and it gets too heavy to move .  I did find a local store that sells feed, supplies as well as chicks and some almost grown hens.  

When I was a kid I used to hatch and raise Bobwhite Quail, Pheasants and the occasional Mallard Duck so I'm familiar with the basics of fowl.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 2:45:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Great thread so far with some really nice looking coops and runs (and baby goats! so cute...lol).  

I started building a coop the other day.  I have a bunch of scrap wood from work so it's not costing me anything yet other than time.  I don't really have any plans but I will need to think about a window or two and ventilation. I still haven't figured out where I'm putting it yet but there's time for that once I get closer to finishing it and it gets too heavy to move .  I did find a local store that sells feed, supplies as well as chicks and some almost grown hens.  

When I was a kid I used to hatch and raise Bobwhite Quail, Pheasants and the occasional Mallard Duck so I'm familiar with the basics of fowl.
View Quote
Be sure to ask if you have any questions

Link Posted: 8/7/2016 9:40:56 PM EDT
[#18]
What size hardware cloth (welded wire fencing) are folks using for their runs?  I was looking at 1" x 1" square.  

I got a bit more work done on my coop and bought a couple of nesting boxes.  Going to work on it a bit more tomorrow since I got the day off work.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 10:01:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I was looking at 1" x 1" square.

View Quote

1"x1" would be great.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 8:44:41 PM EDT
[#20]
I got my roof finished although it's not fastened down yet, I want to get more done before I do that.  Most of the boards on the sides are there to keep things square, I haven't quite figured out the interior layout as far as nest boxes and perches and stuff yet.  I'm going to make one side (on the right of the pic) with a large door that opens for easy access inside for cleaning etc.  I sloped the roof so that it drains off the back and not towards the run side.  I was going to put the nest boxes on the side with the walkway.  The run will extend towards the house, probably about 8 feet long x 4 wide and 6 ft tall (so I can enter without crouching if need be). plus the area under the coop itself (4' x 4'), that should be sufficient for a max of 4 birds I would think.

I thought I could find hardware clothe in 1" x 1" squares but I'm not having any luck.  I'll most likely end up using the 1/2" square stuff instead as it seems more common.

So far other than buying 2 tubes of roofing cement for the roof ($2.25 each) I've managed not to spend any money building the coop.  I had the wood and the roofing materials from other jobs.

]
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 9:32:11 PM EDT
[#21]
For that, 1/2" or 1/4" hardware cloth is what you need. When you said a run, I was picturing something attached to a larger coop. For a small setup like that, you don't want it where a Raccoon can reach in and grab wings/legs.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 10:51:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 10:52:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 8:46:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That'll be a GREAT little coop!

I hit my floor with Thompson's waterseal when I first built the coop.  I use the deep litter method, so honestly, not much moisture ever gets to the floor, but I figure I bought myself a year or two on the plywood degradation.  Dunno if that's of interest to you or not.

Are your nest boxes going to be outside the coop itself?
View Quote

As far as the floor goes I was thinking a scrap piece of linoleum but the waterseal sounds like an option as well.  I plan on doing the deep litter method as well.  Since the coop is 4' x 4' I was going to try to get the nest boxes outside so I'm giving them as much interior space as possible.  I plan on mounting them on the side with the walkway by the garage.

Do you folks put food and water inside or outside of the coop?  I've done some researching and it seems like a 50-50 split as far as folks putting it inside or outside.  Inside will take up some space but outside I'm concerned with keeping the food dry.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 9:12:54 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
As far as the floor goes I was thinking a scrap piece of linoleum but the waterseal sounds like an option as well.  I plan on doing the deep litter method as well.  Since the coop is 4' x 4' I was going to try to get the nest boxes outside so I'm giving them as much interior space as possible.  I plan on mounting them on the side with the walkway by the garage.

Do you folks put food and water inside or outside of the coop?  I've done some researching and it seems like a 50-50 split as far as folks putting it inside or outside.  Inside will take up some space but outside I'm concerned with keeping the food dry.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That'll be a GREAT little coop!

I hit my floor with Thompson's waterseal when I first built the coop.  I use the deep litter method, so honestly, not much moisture ever gets to the floor, but I figure I bought myself a year or two on the plywood degradation.  Dunno if that's of interest to you or not.

Are your nest boxes going to be outside the coop itself?

Inside. That way if I need to keep the chickens in the coop for some reason, they have food and water.

Link Posted: 8/10/2016 11:18:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 11:47:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Wanted to get an opinion for a new chicken "coop" from you other chicken folks.

I need something separate for my meat bird flock. They (ideally) get different feed, have different needs, and I need to be able to manipulate them differently, plus I get enough that the number of chickens is getting too high in my layer coop.

I have two options currently.

1. I have an old hay kicker rack. It is serviceable, but needs new tires all the way around to put it back to work for hay usage. If course, I can get old tires that have no tread left, but good enough for a hay rack for cheap to fee. The hay rack isn't doing much, considering selling it anyway. Value about $250-$350.

2. I have an old office trailer I was given if I want it, its about 8x14. It needs help: roof leaks, floor rotten in a few spots. Just the cost to move it is all I pay (hopefully I can get it on a flatbed from the farm and stay under max height), but if I need to drag it, I have to spend about $100 on a license and VIN, registering it as a homemade trailer, and hopefully the tires off my other office trailer will fit (they are only a year old).

I have to protect these birds from any possibility of rain until they are past the stupid stage.

Hay rack would need a roof/wire all the way around, and everything else. It would provide EXCELLENT air circulation, and the few meat birds I keep around in the winter could go in with the layers. The biggest PITA for the kicker trailer would be a roof, but I think I would take some steel panels I have and actually have them inside the rack with a few supports and a simple slant toward the front, starting at full height at the rear.

Office trailer could be a PITA to move (especially if I can't use a skidsteer and push it up onto a trailer) and may have mold issues where I have to possibly gut the interior and bleach, or maybe just spray a few thick coats of paint to seal it off. At minimum, needs some plywood thrown on the floor, all the desks and whatnot out of it, and the roof needs a bucket of tar or two.

I estimate about $200 into the hay rack, mainly just for all the netting. I actually think that may be high, as the steel panels for the roof are free. All I really need to buy is poultry netting. However, I will no longer have a hay rack (I use my flatbed trailer to haul hay now anyway), and the value of selling it is at least $250, but then I have to sell it and deal with craigslist people. I could put it at the farm auction coming up this fall I suppose.

I estimate the expenses needed to the office trailer to be about $200, plus $100 in license if needed. It would actually take LONGER to get up and going.

The ONLY advantage I see to the office trailer is I could section off part of it to have the incubator there.

The disadvantage to the office trailer is cleaning it out would be a PITA compared to the hay rack.

The hay rack could easily be converted BACK to a hay rack if/when I am done using it for chickens.

Thoughts, opinions?

Kitties, if this is better as its own topic, let me know or move it if you can (I am not familiar with all the Mod superpowers )

Link Posted: 8/10/2016 5:29:59 PM EDT
[#28]
The answers to most questions vary with each setup. What works for me, may not work for you, or just may not be what you want to do.

I no longer keep food or water in my coop, but I also don't close the pop door between the coop and the run. They can come out whenever they want, and there is always water in the run. I let them out to free range almost every day, so during Spring and Summer I give them very little food. They eat vegetation, bugs, lizards, etc., which is better for them that any manufactured feed.

I don't keep food in the coop, because it attracts far too many wild animals. It encouraged mice to make huge nests in there, and much of the feed was being eaten by squirrels, opossums, and raccoons.

I don't keep water in there because they wouldn't drink it (though the unwanted critters did), and it puts too much moisture in the air. This is a bigger issue in the Winter, because moisture is a big cause of frost bite during freezing weather.

That is what works *for me*, with my setup, but may be completely wrong for others.

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 1:43:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 7:26:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Been dodging raindrops trying to get a bit of work done on my coop. Got a pair of nesting boxes installed on the side and a large hinged door on the opposite side for easy access/cleaning.  Not show in the picture is the door that I cut in the front center since then but it started raining again so i had to quit.  I'll still have to finish the rear of the coop and figure out my ventilation and windows.  As you can see I found an old window (26" x 26") that I was thinking of putting on the front above the door.  I was going to hinge it at the top so that I can open it prop it open.  I would put wire mesh on the inside like a screen.
I plan on putting a vent grill on the back wall as well.  Do you think that one big window on the front would be sufficient for light?  It faces South so it won't get direct light it in, was worrying about it heating up the coop too much on a East or West side.  Thoughts or suggestions about anything?

Link Posted: 8/14/2016 12:22:42 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I think it's fine here unless the OP disagrees.

I would not fool with that office trailer.  Those kinds of projects always make me wish I'd gone another direction.

Does the hay rack thingy have a door?  If so, your welding skills are good enough that you could add a separate compartment I bet.  You could also sell the hay rack thingy and use that money to just build something like a larger chicken tractor for your meat birds...or a separate henhouse/coop for them.  Not sure what size you're after, but if you have any found lumber or materials available you could probably fudge together something that looks decent and will work well for that money, unless it's bigger than I'm thinking.

kitties

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wanted to get an opinion for a new chicken "coop" from you other chicken folks.

I need something separate for my meat bird flock. They (ideally) get different feed, have different needs, and I need to be able to manipulate them differently, plus I get enough that the number of chickens is getting too high in my layer coop.
I have two options currently.
1. I have an old hay kicker rack. It is serviceable, but needs new tires all the way around to put it back to work for hay usage. If course, I can get old tires that have no tread left, but good enough for a hay rack for cheap to fee. The hay rack isn't doing much, considering selling it anyway. Value about $250-$350.
2. I have an old office trailer I was given if I want it, its about 8x14. It needs help: roof leaks, floor rotten in a few spots. Just the cost to move it is all I pay (hopefully I can get it on a flatbed from the farm and stay under max height), but if I need to drag it, I have to spend about $100 on a license and VIN, registering it as a homemade trailer, and hopefully the tires off my other office trailer will fit (they are only a year old).
I have to protect these birds from any possibility of rain until they are past the stupid stage.
Hay rack would need a roof/wire all the way around, and everything else. It would provide EXCELLENT air circulation, and the few meat birds I keep around in the winter could go in with the layers. The biggest PITA for the kicker trailer would be a roof, but I think I would take some steel panels I have and actually have them inside the rack with a few supports and a simple slant toward the front, starting at full height at the rear.
Office trailer could be a PITA to move (especially if I can't use a skidsteer and push it up onto a trailer) and may have mold issues where I have to possibly gut the interior and bleach, or maybe just spray a few thick coats of paint to seal it off. At minimum, needs some plywood thrown on the floor, all the desks and whatnot out of it, and the roof needs a bucket of tar or two.
I estimate about $200 into the hay rack, mainly just for all the netting. I actually think that may be high, as the steel panels for the roof are free. All I really need to buy is poultry netting. However, I will no longer have a hay rack (I use my flatbed trailer to haul hay now anyway), and the value of selling it is at least $250, but then I have to sell it and deal with craigslist people. I could put it at the farm auction coming up this fall I suppose.
I estimate the expenses needed to the office trailer to be about $200, plus $100 in license if needed. It would actually take LONGER to get up and going.
The ONLY advantage I see to the office trailer is I could section off part of it to have the incubator there.
The disadvantage to the office trailer is cleaning it out would be a PITA compared to the hay rack.

The hay rack could easily be converted BACK to a hay rack if/when I am done using it for chickens.
Thoughts, opinions?
Kitties, if this is better as its own topic, let me know or move it if you can (I am not familiar with all the Mod superpowers )

I think it's fine here unless the OP disagrees.

I would not fool with that office trailer.  Those kinds of projects always make me wish I'd gone another direction.

Does the hay rack thingy have a door?  If so, your welding skills are good enough that you could add a separate compartment I bet.  You could also sell the hay rack thingy and use that money to just build something like a larger chicken tractor for your meat birds...or a separate henhouse/coop for them.  Not sure what size you're after, but if you have any found lumber or materials available you could probably fudge together something that looks decent and will work well for that money, unless it's bigger than I'm thinking.

kitties

Hay rack is 8x16.

Decided to use the rack. Started tearing it down today. opting to remove the cage and build what i need. Pics will posted once its done

Link Posted: 8/14/2016 1:10:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 11:00:27 PM EDT
[#33]
So I tore off the cage yesterday, started on repair of some bad boards and construction this evening. Only had a few hours, so didn't get a lot done by the time I got setup.

How things started:

After the cage was tore off and I put on the new couple boards it needed on the deck. As you can see, its getting a plywood deck. Treated of course, will get painted as well once the wood dries a bit (it was literally DRIPPING wet when I bought it):

Where I left it for the evening:

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 4:17:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 11:25:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Got it done enough to put the birds in tonight! Thanks is owed to my brother who came out to help me throw the roof and siding up quicker than j could have done it myself.

Pics up tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 10:33:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Forgot to look what I already posted, but here are a few pics of the build.

Link Posted: 8/18/2016 10:41:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Its not 100% done, but other than putting in the feeder and watering system, I doubt I will get to any more this year.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 2:11:09 PM EDT
[#38]
How are your predators out there? The chicken wire will stop chickens, but I've heard of Raccoons chewing/tearing through it. Other than that, I like it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 2:30:38 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

How are your predators out there? The chicken wire will stop chickens, but I've heard of Raccoons chewing/tearing through it. Other than that, I like it.
View Quote
No much I keep the population pretty low , but I am already figuring on putting up hardware cloth.

Link Posted: 8/18/2016 5:17:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Nice.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 9:31:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:33:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Rat Patrol, that looks awesome!
View Quote

+1!
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Thanks all!
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 8:08:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

That looks great, you built that up quick.  It's always neat seeing things get re-purposed.  

I got my mini-coop (in comparison to most of yours) pretty much finished today.  I still need to do a few minor things like perches and making the food and water dispensers, I have a few ideas for those.  Next up is building the run and figuring out how to fab a door for the run.  As you can see by my handiwork I am NOT a woodworker....lol.  Overall it's pretty straight and will keep the chickens dry anyways.  I put a large fold down door on one side for easier access to clean and a smaller door on the back for quick access for food and water.  I plan on painting it as well to hide a bit of the crap carpentry.  I need to put a piece of plexiglass in the window cutout as well.

So far I have spent about $25-$30 on screws and hinges and a few misc. pieces of hardware, I had all the wood already that I got from work a few years ago, I had to pull a lot of staples out of the pieces since it was part of a shipping boxes but it wasn't a big deal considering the cost

I plan on putting a few clasps on the top to hold the door closed but need to get to the hardware store to get them which is why I have the piece of wood to hold the door close for now.

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 8:17:03 PM EDT
[#45]
I do have a question on ventilation.  Do I need to put a vent of some sort on one of the sides to help with air movement?  I designed the roof portion with the idea of having plenty of gaps that I can put some wire mesh on to keep critters that will help vent the summer heat.  The roof has not been fastened down yet, not sure if I should have it as far forward as I do now, I can move it back if that would be advisable to even out the gaps between the front and back.

Front

Inside view

Back of coop

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:03:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 1:02:38 AM EDT
[#47]
I kind of agree with what Kitties said, but would change "screen" to hardware cloth. Then, rather than plexi, just hinge a wood door over it. I have one like that, and I only remove the stick that props it open when it's below freezing. Even then, I often open it all day, then close it at night.

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:27:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Yes, It's very sturdy and heavy as hell but you work with what you got right?

I think you're right about having it open and close for ventilation, I'll try to see if I can figure out how to make a frame that I can hinge, did I mention I'm terrible at carpentry?   I thought of just doing the wooden hinged door but I don't have any other windows on this small coop so I need something to let some light in.  I do plan on putting hardware cloth on the inside of the window and to seal up the gaps around the upper edges of the coop.  I still plan on putting down the linoleum on the floor of the coop (wait till you see this stuff, it's hideous would have looked bad even in the 70's ) and I have to get a perch or two in there as well.  I have plans for my food dispenser and my water dispenser that I will fabricate over the next few days.
Between the rain we've had lately, that we really need and work it's been a slow go but I'm hoping to be done in a week or so, then I got to find some hens.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:14:56 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

That looks great, you built that up quick.  It's always neat seeing things get re-purposed.  

I got my mini-coop (in comparison to most of yours) pretty much finished today.  I still need to do a few minor things like perches and making the food and water dispensers, I have a few ideas for those.  Next up is building the run and figuring out how to fab a door for the run.  As you can see by my handiwork I am NOT a woodworker....lol.  Overall it's pretty straight and will keep the chickens dry anyways.  I put a large fold down door on one side for easier access to clean and a smaller door on the back for quick access for food and water.  I plan on painting it as well to hide a bit of the crap carpentry.  I need to put a piece of plexiglass in the window cutout as well.

So far I have spent about $25-$30 on screws and hinges and a few misc. pieces of hardware, I had all the wood already that I got from work a few years ago, I had to pull a lot of staples out of the pieces since it was part of a shipping boxes but it wasn't a big deal considering the cost

http://i.imgur.com/MJEqkkl.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/nJecAXR.jpg?1

I plan on putting a few clasps on the top to hold the door closed but need to get to the hardware store to get them which is why I have the piece of wood to hold the door close for now.

http://i.imgur.com/DRvVuJA.jpg?1

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/MJEqkkl.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/nJecAXR.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/DRvVuJA.jpg?1

Thanks, the speed is the wonder of pole style construction!

For your ventilation, I think that is sufficient provided you have good source near the floor. On super hot days, it may be a good idea to have a fan in front of that lower level air source and FORCE fresh air into the coop as well, unless they have a nice shaded spot outside to hide from the sun.

For watering, if you haven't discovered chicken nipples, they are the ONLY way to water chickens. Always clean water.

Nice looking coop, BTW
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:37:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top