Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 21
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 12:49:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:26:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Entire top of run is covered now, though there are still some spots that need to be finished. (Small gaps where sheet metal meets welded wire).

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 1:33:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do it!  Do it!  Doooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiittttt!!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just wanted to see if there is interest in me taking the time to take pics of a minor project.

This is our first year of incubating eggs (always bought day old chicks or let the hens do their thing), and I am already sick of turning eggs by hand, and not always around when they need turned.
Also don't want to shell out $60+ for a turner.
Found an egg turner motor (1/240RPM 110 volt motor) for $20 shipped on fleabay.
Have a 3D printer and other supplies around, going to make my own turner.
If anybody wants me to take pics of it and make a little write-up, I will.

ETA: Meh, I'll take pics and such

Do it!  Do it!  Doooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiittttt!!!
Sneak peak pic. Sorry its blurry, the 3D printer moves at fairly fast speeds and its hard to capture with a still.

ETA: This piece is done and cooling. Should take 4 to make the entire tray.

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 1:11:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 1:49:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

You can fabricate anything, can't you?

View Quote
No, my computer programming skills are pitiful.

Link Posted: 5/8/2016 10:39:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a leash and harness; here's my daughter walking one of the goats.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 2:38:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Pic of the motor bracket being made. Again, fuzzy from the 3D printer moving fast. This will clip on the side of the incubator and hold the motor itself.

Say, should I put my little write-up of the build here when I am done in a post, or should it be in a new topic to not derail this tread?

Pic:

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 7:20:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 7:24:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 11:26:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Lost a silky to a hawk the other day... Poor girl...  Broke its neck but #1 couldn't fly away with it or #2 the rooster was at it before it could start shredding it.

Girls are on lock down for the next couple weeks till we figure out a solution.  

Hawks are hard to get a jump on,  I have almost been successful of "scarring" it away twice but as soon as a door gets opened it takes off.  I need to get eyes on its location prior to stepping out and trying to "scare" it.

Shotgun is now prepositioned so I can get a quick warning shot off at it...  I want to scare the feathers off of it so it doesn't every come back.  

If nothing changes by tomorrow I am going to start hanging CD (disks) in the trees and on the corner of my shed.  Maybe put 10 or so around...

Ether way they are locked up for 2 weeks minimum.  Plus it will give me a chance to get some grass growing in my front yard where they dug it all up...

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 6:03:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 6:03:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Mrs was candling our eggs in the incubator today, we have movement on at least 6 eggs, probably 8, which is half of what is in there (most of the other half I am sure weren't fertilized).

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 6:05:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Lost a silky to a hawk the other day... Poor girl...  Broke its neck but #1 couldn't fly away with it or #2 the rooster was at it before it could start shredding it.

Hawks are hard to get a jump on,  I have almost been successful of "scarring" it away twice but as soon as a door gets opened it takes off.  I need to get eyes on its location prior to stepping out and trying to "scare" it.

Shotgun is now prepositioned so I can get a quick warning shot off at it...  I want to scare the feathers off of it so it doesn't every come back.  

If nothing changes by tomorrow I am going to start hanging CD (disks) in the trees and on the corner of my shed.  Maybe put 10 or so around...

Ether way they are locked up for 2 weeks minimum.  Plus it will give me a chance to get some grass growing in my front yard where they dug it all up...

View Quote
That is never good.

We have so many hawks and eagles around (we loose cats to the eagles every now and again) that we keep them in a run with a net over the top. Wish I could let them free range, but we would loose a great many birds every year if we did.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 6:14:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That is never good.    

We have so many hawks and eagles around (we loose cats to the eagles every now and again) that we keep them in a run with a net over the top. Wish I could let them free range, but we would loose a great many birds every year if we did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is never good.    

I'm going to build my run this week. After hearing stories like this, I am going to fence in the top as well.

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 7:13:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Lost a silky to a hawk the other day... Poor girl... <snip>

View Quote

I've heard of people putting crow decoys on the ground/in the trees, to scare hawks away. (Crows love to attack hawks).
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 7:13:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Wow.  Pretty girl!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I bought a leash and harness; here's my daughter walking one of the goats.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/qwertyup/Goats%202016/2016-5-820Alysia.jpg

Wow.  Pretty girl!

Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 10:25:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 11:01:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Mrs was candling our eggs in the incubator today, we have movement on at least 6 eggs, probably 8, which is half of what is in there (most of the other half I am sure weren't fertilized).

View Quote
I just checked them again wuth an egg candling adapterbi printed today, and we have good movement on 10 eggs, and 1 more is only a few days out! 3 were just yolks, no evidence they were even fertilized.

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 4:41:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 4:44:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Woot!

New babies inbound!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just checked them again wuth an egg candling adapterbi printed today, and we have good movement on 10 eggs, and 1 more is only a few days out! 3 were just yolks, no evidence they were even fertilized.  

Woot!

New babies inbound!
Don't celebrate too hard, they are destined for the table

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 6:31:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 5:13:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Approximately when can I put my chicks out in the coop?
They are only three weeks old and are outgrowing the large dog crate brooder that we have set-up.
I was thinking maybe next week, I could leave them in the coop and close off the run so they can't go outside unless I or my wife is out with them.
What's the consensus with daytime temps being in the mid to upper 60's and night time temps in the mid to upper 40's?
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Fully feathered is the main thing that determines when you can put them outside.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 6:40:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

They are only three weeks old and are outgrowing the large dog crate brooder that we have set-up.

I was thinking maybe next week, I could leave them in the coop and close off the run so they can't go outside unless I or my wife is out with them.

What's the consensus with daytime temps being in the mid to upper 60's and night time temps in the mid to upper 40's?
View Quote
What I have always done is absolutely wait until they have feathered out. I am assuming you have at least 4-5, don't have time to look. With temps dipping down into the 40's, they will be in trouble unless they are fully feathered and there is at least 4-5 of them.

I keep them in the coop for a couple weeks, don't let them out into the run. Makes them accept the coop as home.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 6:50:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What I have always done is absolutely wait until they have feathered out. I am assuming you have at least 4-5, don't have time to look. With temps dipping down into the 40's, they will be in trouble unless they are fully feathered and there is at least 4-5 of them.  

I keep them in the coop for a couple weeks, don't let them out into the run. Makes them accept the coop as home.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have 20 chicks. I'm thinking that I can move the Dog Crate out into the coop and hang the brooder lamp above it. I can isolate them to the crate at night so that they are still under the brooder lamp getting some heat. If we get a cold snap, I can always bring them back into the basement.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 9:55:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Sounds like a good plan.

Don't confine them too close to the heat lamp however. Just have it available, they will pick just the right distance from it (or directly under it) as they need to to keep warm. If you confine them under it, you can cook them.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 11:50:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 11:55:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 8:05:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like a good plan.

Don't confine them too close to the heat lamp however. Just have it available, they will pick just the right distance from it (or directly under it) as they need to to keep warm. If you confine them under it, you can cook them.

This.

Thanks for the advice, I will wait another week or two and I will hang our light somewhere in the coop. Right now it has a 250? Watt red heat lamp bulb in it.
The dog crate that we are using is a metal one and is the extra large size as its for our Shepherd. It is 3 feet tall and almost 4 feet long. Right now the light is hanging on top off to one side so they can "escape" the heat.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:26:26 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Thanks for the advice, I will wait another week or two and I will hang our light somewhere in the coop. Right now it has a 250? Watt red heat lamp bulb in it.

The dog crate that we are using is a metal one and is the extra large size as its for our Shepherd. It is 3 feet tall and almost 4 feet long. Right now the light is hanging on top off to one side so they can "escape" the heat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like a good plan.

This.

You could easily step that down to a 125 watt if you wanted to, as long as there are no significant drafts in the coop.

On second thought, if you keep the bulb rather high, the 250 would be a good idea.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 1:06:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 10:13:34 AM EDT
[#32]
So I head to the bathroom this morning, and while there I hear little thuds coming from the incubator (we have the incubator in the bathroom since its only 1 of 2 floors in
the house that I have tore out and rebuilt so far, thus being actually flat and
level). Then I hear a chick peeping! I open up the incubator to see an egg on the side of the incubator moving just enough to roll away form the wall and then roll back making the little thud. Looks like we will have our first incubator raised chick VERY soon!
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 3:40:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 12:07:39 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Aww...it's amazing the amount of work they have to do to get out of that shell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So I head to the bathroom this morning, and while there I hear little thuds coming from the incubator (we have the incubator in the bathroom since its only 1 of 2 floors in the house that I have tore out and rebuilt so far, thus being actually flat and level). Then I hear a chick peeping! I open up the incubator to see an egg on the side of the incubator moving just enough to roll away form the wall and then roll back making the little thud. Looks like we will have our first incubator raised chick VERY soon!

Aww...it's amazing the amount of work they have to do to get out of that shell.
Well, we gave him 10 hours on his own, and he still hadn't gotten out. Nugget (the Mrs named him/her) was showing signs of stress, so I helped him out a little.

Will have some vids up, but may not be until tomorrow/Monday.

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 12:16:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Video 1:

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 12:13:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Pics!

First 5 from the incubator!

The oddball yellow chick likes to sleep in the food

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 12:28:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 1:00:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Just throwing this quick video out there for a size reference between our Freedom Ranger rooster and our Barred Rock hens (and some fresh rock chicks to get our numbers back up)

Link Posted: 6/12/2016 1:03:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Something maybe you guys could understand or relate to. We've put our house up for sale and one family has put an offer in. They're from California and interested in having some more land and love our chicken coop/chickens, but that's about all the good I can say about them. Over the course of negotiations they said that they loved the coop we built and wanted our chickens. We explained that they were strictly for laying, and basically pets to my mom, so we would be taking them with us..... this was a foreign concept to them. In the limited conversations I've had with them (I've tried to be as scarce as possible when they've been around) they don't know jack about chickens, and they aren't willing to learn beforehand. I feel bad for the first chickens they try to keep, but at least the red-tails that nest on our property will eat well .
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 7:55:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Something maybe you guys could understand or relate to. We've put our house up for sale and one family has put an offer in. They're from California and interested in having some more land and love our chicken coop/chickens, but that's about all the good I can say about them. Over the course of negotiations they said that they loved the coop we built and wanted our chickens. We explained that they were strictly for laying, and basically pets to my mom, so we would be taking them with us..... this was a foreign concept to them. In the limited conversations I've had with them (I've tried to be as scarce as possible when they've been around) they don't know jack about chickens, and they aren't willing to learn beforehand. I feel bad for the first chickens they try to keep, but at least the red-tails that nest on our property will eat well .
View Quote

Are you getting out of NJ?
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 10:11:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Unfortunately, nope. But moving to a homestead-type property.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 10:32:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Post some updates with the new digs.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 12:18:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As soon as we're moved in I will!
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 1:12:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 10:57:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Am I overfeeding??

Have 30 Freedom Ranger broilers on about their 6th week.

Thus far have been feeding unlimited supply.

They're looking fat and spend a lot of time just sitting in one place.

Should I limit their food intake and, if so, how?

It seems the more aggressive ones would get the lions share.

Thanks...FN
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 11:30:42 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Am I overfeeding??

Have 30 Freedom Ranger broilers on about their 6th week.

Thus far have been feeding unlimited supply.

They're looking fat and spend a lot of time just sitting in one place.

Should I limit their food intake and, if so, how?

It seems the more aggressive ones would get the lions share.

Thanks...FN
View Quote
When I did freedom rangers, I gave them choice feed. They also had a run to do their chicken thing in. Never an issue with over-eating. I forget what the feed ration is, but its based on weight. Contact the freedom ranger nursery to get the feed/weight ratio.

Do they have an outdoor run? If not (or if its barren earth) then you very well may need to regulate their feed.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:44:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Cuttingedge how are your chickens doing?  Did I miss their move into their chicken palace?

View Quote

Sorry that I had not replied. Yes you missed it I waited until the weather was a little warmer and confined them to the coop for a week or so. While they were in the coop, I put together a 12x12 covered run for them. Everything is done with the coop yet I need to finish the landscaping around it. Work and other things have gotten in the way but I should have time in the next week or so
Here is a pic
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:13:43 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Sorry that I had not replied. Yes you missed it I waited until the weather was a little warmer and confined them to the coop for a week or so. While they were in the coop, I put together a 12x12 covered run for them. Everything is done with the coop yet I need to finish the landscaping around it. Work and other things have gotten in the way but I should have time in the next week or so

Here is a pic http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j477/jpmako19/Mobile%20Uploads/B1D07E6D-DB39-4760-872B-3C70E4E7096F_zpsmojfoagi.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cuttingedge how are your chickens doing?  Did I miss their move into their chicken palace?

Here is a pic http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j477/jpmako19/Mobile%20Uploads/B1D07E6D-DB39-4760-872B-3C70E4E7096F_zpsmojfoagi.jpg
That coop literally looks nicer than my house

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:30:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No joke that would make a nice cabin for me to sleep in when the wife gets mad at me
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:48:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top