Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 21
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 9:47:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Alright, darn it, you talked me into it.  Well, you and my wife.  We have 22 chicks coming mid June from Murray McMurray hatchery.
Since we occasionally get up to 110 degrees or so here, and always have several over 100 degree days, I picked birds suited for the heat.
We ordered 6 Pearl White Leghorns, 5 Black Minorcas, 5 Buff Minorcas and 5 Anconas, all females.  We will get one free chick of unknown breed and straight run.
Keeping my fingers crossed they sex them right!

I have began gathering the materials for an 8' x 12' coop and will take pictures as I go, posting them here when finished.
The adventure begins...Wish me luck!
James
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 6:31:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 3:00:21 PM EDT
[#3]
We have chicks!

This is 75 Freedom Rangers. For the freezer of course.

Only a temporary home until I get the pigs out of the chicken coop tomorrow, maybe tonight.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 11:58:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:08:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

*heavy sigh*

I was a terrible choice for homestead mod.

I want to cuddle and save all 75 of them.

View Quote
I am saving them...

For dinner
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:15:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:32:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Next addition once the bees are up and running all the way.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:49:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Other than a fence, anyone aware of anything that will keep my growing hostas from being shredded?  Out of everything growing in the yard they make a straight shot for the two big hostas that have just started growing and just start shredding the things.

Not sure if there is a product or procedure short of a small fence that will discourage the them.

BTW - I send the dog after them (60 lb. lab mix) but they aren't afraid of him anymore, they will jump up and peck him on the nose when he tries to get into their business.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 5:55:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Other than a fence, anyone aware of anything that will keep my growing hostas from being shredded?  Out of everything growing in the yard they make a straight shot for the two big hostas that have just started growing and just start shredding the things.

Not sure if there is a product or procedure short of a small fence that will discourage the them.

BTW - I send the dog after them (60 lb. lab mix) but they aren't afraid of him anymore, they will jump up and peck him on the nose when he tries to get into their business.
View Quote
mix some cayenne pepper with a bit of water and spray it on the hostas? Worked for a dog we had that liked to chew on everything anyway.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:11:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:54:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Chickens are single minded, and if they find something they want, I have never found a way to keep them out of it.  Which is why I keep mine in a fence.[color=#ff0000] I like my flowers more than I like chickens. [B)[/color]
View Quote

In the OFFICIAL chicken thread???

Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:19:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Chickens are single minded, and if they find something they want, I have never found a way to keep them out of it.  Which is why I keep mine in a fence. I like my flowers more than I like chickens.
View Quote
That they are!  I have fenced off a good portion of my yard where my garden is but I want to give them a chance to roam when I'm around the yard.  I can't fence everything off.  I'll try a spray, maybe if it doesn't taste good anymore they will leave it alone.  Not that big of a deal really just wondered if there might be some simple solution that I wasn't aware of.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:29:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:01:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Picture bump

Got this "eggzilla" the other day.  The two regular eggs weighed in at 2.6 oz's each, the big one weighed in at 3.8 oz's, biggest one I've got yet.
Attachment Attached File

Getting the Stink Eye -
Attachment Attached File

Patrolling the lawn -
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:47:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:30:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Owww.  (from the hen's perspective)

Will be interested to know whether it's a double yolk.
View Quote
My wife had it for breakfast the next morning, it was a double yolk, our first.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:29:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Landlord (father) had thrown a fit a few years ago about us having backyard chickens so we had to get rid of them. He's now come around, so the wife and I are going to give it another go, have 3 Silver Laced Wyandottes and 3 Black Laced Red Wyandottes incoming this week from Cackle.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:04:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 12:15:26 PM EDT
[#19]
My oldest son calls this one Lady McCluck 

She likes to follow my wife around, since my wife always has snacks for our 3 year old 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 12:23:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 3:24:51 PM EDT
[#21]
So our 4  buffs are about 6mos old now. In the last few weeks the eggs started coming in. So Im getting 3 eggs a day now. The big one is the only one that isn't going in the box, we have had a feeling it might be a roo because it is bigger and has yellow feet. But we haven't had any crowing nor seen it bang any of the others. What do you all think?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 3:45:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 3:48:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Thats what I was thinking, I thought id at least hear some sort of crowing too. Guess shes a late bloomer. Shes my bea author of my 4 golden girls.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 5:01:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Guess I'll get in on this. Had birds for 4 years. We divided their area in 2 and grow barely to supplement their feed.  I'm still experimenting with the process but I think I'll be able to feed them several times with 1 seed by moving the chickens before they scratch it down to bare dirt.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:10:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Guess I'll get in on this. Had birds for 4 years. We divided their area in 2 and grow barely to supplement their feed.  I'm still experimenting with the process but I think I'll be able to feed them several times with 1 seed by moving the chickens before they scratch it down to bare dirt.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/55357/IMG-0743-234362.JPG
View Quote
That's a nice looking setup
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:23:57 AM EDT
[#26]

Well, count me in.
My first two birds.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:37:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Had an egg yesterday that was laid without a shell, felt like a a bag of jelly.  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:38:21 AM EDT
[#28]
You can tell it's new, there is still greenery inside the run

What kind of hens?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:50:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:42:42 PM EDT
[#30]
lol
Buff Orpington
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:40:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 2:07:03 PM EDT
[#32]
So.. as i previously poated I was getting 1 egg a day from 3 of my 4. My fourth i was wondering if it might be a roo. In the last few days 1 hen got broody and wouldn't leave the box. So I took the training eggs out. So since this whole broody thing started its like the egg production dropped off. Is this normal?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 2:55:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Are there other nesting boxes available? The hens still laying may be frustrated because there is no place to lay eggs. 

Amazing how they can turn off production over feelings.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:29:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:30:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:20:17 AM EDT
[#36]
One of my hens was limping last evening, not sure what happened.  She is just favoring one leg but she is able to put weight on it.  I'll have to check when I get home tonight, hopefully just a strain or pulled muscle and nothing too serious.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:06:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
One of my hens was limping last evening, not sure what happened.  She is just favoring one leg but she is able to put weight on it.  I'll have to check when I get home tonight, hopefully just a strain or pulled muscle and nothing too serious.
View Quote
Giver her time. I've had a few with minor injuries like that, they usually bounce back in a few weeks.

Unless you can manage to ice the injury and put on a splint, then she would be back much sooner 
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 3:06:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Giver her time. I've had a few with minor injuries like that, they usually bounce back in a few weeks.

Unless you can manage to ice the injury and put on a splint, then she would be back much sooner 
View Quote
I'm not starting a sports medicine clinic for chickens .
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:15:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:47:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

But...but...she might be an Olympic layer!!!
View Quote
I have gotten 2 huge eggs in the past few month or so from one (or more) of them.  The first one was a 3.8 oz. monster followed a few weeks later by a 3.9 oz'er (see below)

I believe I have one hen who is not laying anymore, I used to get 4 eggs most days with 3 on occasion, now I get 3 eggs most days and sometimes 2 (I have 4 hens).

I don't know how to determine who is laying what eggs though as I'm usually at work.  Anyone have ideas how to do that?

I took this picture a couple of weeks ago after I got the big 3.9 oz egg.  The egg in the middle is the usual "jumbo" size eggs I normally get.  I found the tiny egg inside the coop when I was raking the pine shavings.  It had been there a while I'm guessing because it was almost completely dried out.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:20:37 AM EDT
[#41]
If these are new hens, just give them time. It may not be 1 particular bird laying at 100% and skipping a day here and there, but multiple. 

Also, not all breeds lay 100% reliably. Anything over 85% production and I'm typically happy. When I let the girls free range, I usually am closer to 60%, but the feed is free so I'm OK with that.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:09:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 12:24:00 PM EDT
[#43]
So on top of everything else keeping me busy, Im contemplating getting some chickens from Murray Mcmurray. What size brooder would I need for 15 since thats the minimum order?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 12:31:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Not too big. They would be fine in a 2'x3' stock tank until they are ready for a coop.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 1:49:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Not too big. They would be fine in a 2'x3' stock tank until they are ready for a coop.
View Quote
Ive seen the ones at rural king in the stock tank, Figured I might use that or even one of those huge rubbermaid totes
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 3:37:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Ive seen the ones at rural king in the stock tank, Figured I might use that or even one of those huge rubbermaid totes
View Quote
I commonly use a large mixing "thing". Its by the cement supplies at Menards. They are like $13, tough, and work well. Not too deep though (about 9" I suppose), so you can't let the litter pile up.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:25:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:07:49 AM EDT
[#48]
For our 22 from McMurray we started with an old playpen given to us by a friend.  We put down cardboard on the bottom and on the sides and then used large plastic trash bags to make it to where nothing could drip or slip out. We then covered that with a layer of pine shavings and put paper towels on top of that to give them more traction for a couple of days and to keep them from eating the shavings.

Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:16:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Then we went a little crazy, which is what my wife and I usually do about pets of ours.  
We bought 4 sheets of an OSB type plywood, 8 2x4x8's, 8 L type brackets, 2 hinges and a latch. Cost was about $100, about the same as a steel tub from the farm store.
I took all the furniture in our small front bedroom and put it against the walls.
Put down a tarp, then 3 sheets of heavy plastic on top of each other.
Then in my shop I laid the OSB down and screwed 2 2x4's to each sheet, cut a door in one sheet and hinged and latched it.
Then brought the four "walls" into the bedroom and screwed the brackets in the corners to hold them together.
We then had an 8' x 8' brooder.
The chicks are 5 weeks old as of Monday.

They do create a lot of dust, but we close the door and it helps keep it confined.  The AC is turned off in that area so it stays pretty warm.

We used a homemade Mama heating pad when they were young, but they are too big to get under it anymore. They still occasionally like to get on it , even though it has been turned way down for awhile.

The corners worked well for 1/2' dowels for roosts, sometimes there as many as 6 birds on them at a time.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:46:04 AM EDT
[#50]
A couple of notes about keeping chicks in the house.
Folks say they are noisy.  They don't bother my wife and I, but then again we live on 11 acres with 6 dogs of which 4 small ones are in the house. 
We hear them, but it is not off putting or annoying.
Now when the one or two that we expect to be roosters start attempting to crow, that may change.
But they will be outside in a temporary coop and run in about a week while I finish the Taj Majal of chicken coops and runs.

They do create dust from the shavings.  If you can confine it to one room where you can clean it up  later, it is best.

We don't want to track any chicken cooties in the house so we keep Walmart/Grocery bags to tie on our feet when we go into their pen.
Then we turn them inside out and throw them away.

Make sure you have a way to cover their brooder it the top is open.  Ours can fly up and land on your shoulders now when you go in. 
We have a $10 net that we got off of Amazon that we keep on top of it and slide back as needed.
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top