Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 21
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 3:29:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 4:54:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Chicken wire only stops the chickens; it offers little to no security from predators.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 1:19:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Chicken wire only stops the chickens; it offers little to no security from predators.
View Quote

Well it stops all but the larger predators.  Keeps out the non motivated, small attackers, just not the bears, or resourceful raccoons etc.  I have personal experience with this. I had a bear rip my coop apart and kill more than half my flock this past summer.  

Still, if it requires running a max facility prison, is it really worth it?  Free ranging chickens vs ones that are locked up? Freedom vs safety.  I will take freedom over .gov control, and I know what my chickens prefer.  To each is own.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 11:15:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Well it stops all but the larger predators.  Keeps out the non motivated, small attackers, just not the bears, or resourceful raccoons etc.  I have personal experience with this. I had a bear rip my coop apart and kill more than half my flock this past summer.  

Still, if it requires running a max facility prison, is it really worth it?  Free ranging chickens vs ones that are locked up? Freedom vs safety.  I will take freedom over .gov control, and I know what my chickens prefer.  To each is own.
View Quote

You can have the best of both. Since (at least around here) almost all predators are nocturnal, the coop area can be a max security fortress, but the girls can roam during the day.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 12:54:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 12:57:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 3:11:15 PM EDT
[#7]
So, in case any of you were curious, I am abandoning the barred rock hen and freedom ranger rooster. 

They take 5-6 months to come of size, which isn't all bad, but they are much less for meat than the purchased Freedom Ranger chicks I have been buying. Since it takes the same amount of time to butcher a very meaty bird as a skinnier bird, I'd rather spend the $2 and get the big chickens that are the size of a small turkey. The flavor is excellent (if you like the old fashioned strong poultry flavor) though. Even though the FRs aren't as flavorful as our own hybrid, they are still worlds better than what you buy in the store .

I'm not done trying to find my own hybrid though. I'm going to be watching out for a white Cornish rooster, and see what I get from that combo.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:28:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Attachment Attached File

My first coop
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:44:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Now I'm just trying to find the right solar powered light for the box
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:32:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks good, though I can't tell what kind of wire that is. Hardware cloth?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:14:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Cloth.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:15:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:15:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:25:44 AM EDT
[#14]
4 buffs/pullets at the moment. I think one might be a roo cause its a lil bigger then the others and the feet are yellow. If it turns out to be roo then it will go.

Then theres two birds from the gnome on top if you didn't notice. He is pointing towards the neighbors that complained to the HOA. We got these as therapy animals for my special needs son. So its covered on ADA/fair housing act in our case. So they and the HOA who don't like it but can't do shit about it.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:43:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Got a broody hen.  This girl is determined.  I coaxed her out with some cracked corn here and there to get her off those damn eggs, but she's right back in the box shortly after.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Forgot to say in the box i planted marigolds, oregano, sweet basil,cilantro and mint. On the side of the coop not in a box i put some sunflowers. We'll see what pops up.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:17:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Then theres two birds from the gnome on top if you didn't notice.
View Quote

Love the gnome!    Thankfully my neighbor love my hens and the extra eggs they get as well.

I can't see the two other sides of the coop but make sure you got plenty of ventilation, esp in the FL heat.  You can't have enough windows or vents.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:54:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Im going to be cutting in some windows and probably a skylight. Trying to figure out a solar panel, battery, controler situation now for lights.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:37:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Butchered the last 11 roosters today.

I decided to try the skinning method instead of plucking. Never. Again.

First, unlike the YouTube video I was referencing, it not only doesn't save time (when I looked back at that video, I then noticed creative editing was done to make it look quick), but took for freaking ever. The meat dried out, and I discovered when I was done that the bare meat had been rollingin cchicken shit that was in the feathers. And yes. I know how to skin a critter. Done it many, many times.. The amount of time it took to skin one, I could have plucked and cleaned 2 birds.

Nope, never again.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:42:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:19:56 PM EDT
[#21]
The fair housing act covers "reasonable accommodations". The only time breed or type of animal is referred them as dogs or mini horses (yes a mini horse) is in the public setting. Any animal can be your therapy animal at home. I can't take the chickens to the grocery store and say it's a service pet. Now if I had a mini horse I could, odd I know. But that's the law, fair housing act. Now do some people abuse claiming to have a disability or disorder when they really don't? I'm sure people do but I don't worry about those people. My bitch of a neighbor does but I don't.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:25:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 7:21:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Egg production starting to kick in. We are at about 50% now, or about 10 eggs per day.

Washing for selling.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 3:46:56 PM EDT
[#24]
A few chicken pics, from this morning.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 8:53:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:17:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:30:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:28:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nice looking birds.  Can't wait until it starts to dry out here and we get more sun...Spring is coming though
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 10:50:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Your rooster is beautiful!     Is he mean?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your rooster is beautiful!     Is he mean?

Thanks.  
No, he's really nice. Sometimes he'll come and sit with me, when I'm out there for a while.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:33:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 5:22:26 PM EDT
[#32]
My son sold his first 2 dozen eggs today .

He better keep up the sales, we are getting a dozen eggs a day, and I expect we will be at 2 dozen/day plus come peak season 
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 2:22:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My son sold his first 2 dozen eggs today .

He better keep up the sales, we are getting a dozen eggs a day, and I expect we will be at 2 dozen/day plus come peak season 
View Quote

We are getting anywhere from 6 to 9 a day from our 18 hens, most of which are very young.  I anticipate about one dozen a day when summer sets in.  Our road side stand sold eggs well last year but we will be hard pressed to push a dozen a day!  

More for us and the family right?  
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 8:48:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:18:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

How are you selling?

A sign out front?
View Quote
Have to get on the sign actually. My wife does those Facebook local garage sale sites. Free effective advertising.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#36]
What type of chickens would be good for Southern Alabama for egg production?  I am about to get 20 acres close to Mobile.  Very humid summers.  It only got below freezing once this winter.  It usually doesn't get below the 50's and even that is rare.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 9:31:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What type of chickens would be good for Southern Alabama for egg production?  I am about to get 20 acres close to Mobile.  Very humid summers.  It only got below freezing once this winter.  It usually doesn't get below the 50's and even that is rare.
View Quote
Depends how you plan to raise them. If it's a homestead and personal use thing, can't go wrong with rocks, Rhode island reds. Avoid the exotic breeds, get a tried and true breed.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 11:42:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 11:54:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:31:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Awesome. And the people come to your house for the eggs?
View Quote
Yup. By law in MN, I cannot bring the eggs anywhere. Since they are a "farm product", and I sell without state inspection and licence, customers MUST come here. Same as raw milk for MN.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 1:49:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Interesting.  Do you have a roadside stand?

Do y'all not have farmer's markets then?

Or do those farmers get the inspection and such?
View Quote
Not really a roadside stand, folks come up by appointment to the house.
Yes, we have farmer's markets all over. They have become a money making scheme for the organizers, nothing more.
Depends on what they are doing, how they are doing it, etc.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:54:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Well guys, I got a question for ya...Has anyone successfully be able to control where you chickens free range?? Im having neighbor issues... My birds love to roam, and eat bugs and drink from the ponds, but they also love my neighbors bushes and gardens They have miles to roam in 3 directions but always end up going in her yard at some point.. Would a fake owl? or other bird of prey discourage them from entering the area? I hate to keep them cooped up, and my egg production is cut in half, and feed cost goes up about 30% when they cant roam... Putting a fence in is the obvious answer but, but really isnt practical in my situation, and unless I surrounded my entire 3 acre yard, they would just go around. Someone needs to invent little shock collars for chickens that work like an invisable dog fence...
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:26:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:38:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
No, the owls won't work, and no, you won't keep your chickens out of your neighbor's yard if they've decided it's an interesting place to be, unless..

a-you fence them out

b-you fence them out

or c-

you fence them out.

Chickens are awesome, but they're also stubborn.  If they're buggin your neighbors by being in their yards, you have to do something to keep them on your property.

You could fence only your back yard.  It will be dirt only, eventually, but that's an option.
View Quote
SO TRUE!!!  

Fortunately for me its a 1/4 walk to my neighbors house.  

Regardless most of my lawn has become a sand trap in the past two years of having chickens.  Now that we have 21 birds I am sure they are going to tear things up real nice this summer.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:59:09 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm going to attempt to use an electric fence to contain my chickens in their free range "ideal" area, see if its works. I will use standard electric wire, and have the strands about 4 inches apart from one another the first 2 feet, then about 8" apart up from there to about 4-5 feet. I'm basically trying to mimic electric chicken netting, but without the insane cost of the netting. I'm sure I'll get an escape every now and again, but I hope it mostly works.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 4:19:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Well guys, I got a question for ya...Has anyone successfully be able to control where you chickens free range?? Im having neighbor issues... My birds love to roam, and eat bugs and drink from the ponds, but they also love my neighbors bushes and gardens They have miles to roam in 3 directions but always end up going in her yard at some point.. Would a fake owl? or other bird of prey discourage them from entering the area? I hate to keep them cooped up, and my egg production is cut in half, and feed cost goes up about 30% when they cant roam... Putting a fence in is the obvious answer but, but really isnt practical in my situation, and unless I surrounded my entire 3 acre yard, they would just go around. Someone needs to invent little shock collars for chickens that work like an invisable dog fence...
View Quote
Is the neighbors issue they are eating the garden or that they are just steping onto her owned soil/yard in general?  If its just the garden offer to fence her garden in for her like one of those English gardens. They may go for it. If its about them just being a PITA and the birds coming onto "their property" then you need to coop/fence your own space.

My crazy bitch neighbor thought she could control what was in MY YARD. Oh that silly hefer.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:43:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:11:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Is the neighbors issue they are eating the garden or that they are just steping onto her owned soil/yard in general?  If its just the garden offer to fence her garden in for her like one of those English gardens. They may go for it. If its about them just being a PITA and the birds coming onto "their property" then you need to coop/fence your own space.

My crazy bitch neighbor thought she could control what was in MY YARD. Oh that silly hefer.
View Quote
Luckly the neighbor is my friends grandmother... And was my preschool teacher, so she knows me fairly well.. The issue is her gardens... Her flower gardens are her life in the summer, and my birds tend to eat her flowers... winter fall and spring are not an issue, and she gets free fertilizer but once the plants come in, my birds get an eviction notice issued with a broom and garden hose...
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:44:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top