Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2016 11:24:43 PM EDT
Today I started to put out some swarm boxes. I had one 8 frame deep box set up on a solid board with a 3/4" high opening by 4". I was lazy
at the time and just use 3/4" wood instead of cutting it down to 3/8".I left this box out for the year. Inside I just use some frames with a triangle top and no sides .
Box was pretty much open. I took the cover off and saw a green lizard, a couple of roaches. I then lifted the inner cover and at first I thought
they had a big rat in the box. After a second or two I realized it was a southern flying squirrel. It ran out the box up a tree. I started to clean the
nest out and I could hear the squeaks  of her litter. They wear pink no hair. Very young flying squirrels.I place some of the nesting back over
the young and close the box back up. I left the area.

This weekend I will place seeds, fruits and some meat a couple of trees from the nest.  

Long term I will build some flying squirrel boxes to place alone the back property line in the woods.

A while back I placed a game camera by one of the bird feeders
and had a bunch of pictures of them robbing the feeders at night.

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:20:32 PM EDT
[#1]
If there are no bees, I only ever find black widows or wax moths.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top