Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2016 9:12:16 PM EDT
After purchasing some store bought prepared horseradish, the wife and I decided to start making my own.
Store bought is so bland. Seems lot of heat and flavor is missing.
Of course I want to plant some but never did before. Looks pretty straight up on how to do it.
Any horseradish planters here?
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 10:50:42 PM EDT
[#1]
all you need is a small section of root.  it will take off and grow like crazy.  it will take a few years for the root to grow nice and big/deep.  find a spot with deep soil before you hit any rocks.  that is my problem - the shale starts 8-10" down, so that restricts the growth of the roots.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 9:09:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Be careful its a weed like plant... it will overtake other plants. It's best to have a section cordoned off just for it.

How we make it....

throw 1/2 pint or so of peeled root in a food processor, add 1 tablespoon of water and 1 tablespoon white vinegar, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp sugar... grind to consistency you prefer.

It will clear you up!
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 1:51:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I got my starts from my grandparents.  I can't get it to propagate because the gophers love it and eat it all winter.  At the gparents place it was like a weed.

Next year Im going to dp plantings all over so the gophers cant get it all, then ill finally have real horseradish to eat.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 2:31:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all the tips. I did a quick search of the La  Coop and I did not find much on horseradish. Only one little bit of info
and what I got from it, it looks like only the northern part of the state. I will visit mt local county agent, parish agent for us coonasses,
and ask what are my odds to grow some. I will make a small raised bed I guess a good 18" high and 3" by 3' square. Does this sound high and big enough
for just a few?  My other problem is getting a source of root stock. I would prefer to get it locally but I never remember seeing it anywhere.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 9:47:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for all the tips. I did a quick search of the La  Coop and I did not find much on horseradish. Only one little bit of info
and what I got from it, it looks like only the northern part of the state. I will visit mt local county agent, parish agent for us coonasses,
and ask what are my odds to grow some. I will make a small raised bed I guess a good 18" high and 3" by 3' square. Does this sound high and big enough
for just a few?  My other problem is getting a source of root stock. I would prefer to get it locally but I never remember seeing it anywhere.
View Quote

If you are able to grow it in your area, I would highly recommend purchasing it Here.
I have purchased a lot of plants from them and I was very impressed with everything that I purchased including my Horseradish.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 10:21:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Grow it in a container.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 12:56:31 AM EDT
[#7]
The wife's cousin had a small patch for about 3 yrs.  He told his son to rototill the garden.  He then had a huge patch and was never able to get rid of the stuff so he moved his garden.   Be careful.  By the way the cousin did have nice horseradish.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 9:17:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you are able to grow it in your area, I would highly recommend purchasing it Here.
I have purchased a lot of plants from them and I was very impressed with everything that I purchased including my Horseradish.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I booked mark the webpage of noursefarms. I will be growing it in grow zone 8b so I will be at the edge.  $10 worth is what I am going to try. no big lost if if does not do good.
I went to wholefoods and they usually carry fresh horseradish but were out. I wanted some for at least to make it fresh.batch.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 9:48:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The wife's cousin had a small patch for about 3 yrs.  He told his son to rototill the garden.  He then had a huge patch and was never able to get rid of the stuff so he moved his garden.   Be careful.  By the way the cousin did have nice horseradish.
View Quote

Yeah, that's a great way to propagate horseradish.  All you need is a root and slice it up.  Each piece will turn into another plant.  I have some in my garden.  In fact, I grew it in my aquaponics system:

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 11:49:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah, that's a great way to propagate horseradish.  All you need is a root and slice it up.  Each piece will turn into another plant.  I have some in my garden.  In fact, I grew it in my aquaponics system:

http://i.imgur.com/LuXzRtl.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those are some very nice looking Blueberry bushes in the background. What varieties do you have???
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 7:17:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, you may never be able to get rid of it. Try containers first, like cheap 5 gal buckets
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 11:29:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Those are some very nice looking Blueberry bushes in the background. What varieties do you have???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bluejay Blueberries.  They get great sun and I keep the soil acidified with sulfur pellets/powder and ammonium sulfate, and I put a fresh layer pine bark mulch on them in the spring.  Those 3 bushes are 7 feet tall.  I should trim them.  I've been very happy with them.  I planted 20 other bushes but they are still relatively small and get less sun.  Those varieties I have written down.  I'm told that it's good to have cross-pollination for blueberries

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 11:01:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Wife picked up a horseradish root from whole foods. they gave it to her.
I am going to peel the skin off and the chop it in the food processor.
I going to wait a few minutes after processing and hit it with a little of vinegar and salt.
Then into one of my small canning jars.

I built a 3' x 3' box to plant some. This weekend I will work the ground and add some of
my compost to it. I will use roots from one of the online nurseries.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 11:06:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Any guidance on what kind of soil conditions the stuff likes?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top