Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/1/2015 7:26:00 PM EDT
Just wanted to post some pics of my pigs this go around.  Demand fed around the clock.  Picked them up at about 14 weeks old on August 16th.

Slaughter day

All in all, pretty happy with results.  Haven't totaled the input costs yet, but got 338lbs of hanging meat out of both of them.  Was sloppy with the skinning and threw out a lot of fat and neck meat, but it was 70 degrees and the flies were emerging so we had to hurry.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 7:50:57 AM EDT
[#1]
cool.

i keep thinking i will raise a couple pigs or cattle.

i'd like to see more of the butchering pics. looks like a huge chore.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 8:49:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i'd like to see more of the butchering pics. looks like a huge chore.
View Quote

We typically kill, skin, quarter, and chill in about an hour, and then cut, wrap and freeze at out leisure.

Nice pics OP, this is the first fall we don't have any, and I miss them..
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:59:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Cool, what do you feed?
I've got two 75lb pigs gaining weight as we speak.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:43:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I need to convince my father to get some pigs this year. We haven't raised any in years.

I'd do it at my place but I don't think my city folk neighbors would appreciate the smell.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:40:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Cool, what do you feed?
View Quote

Purina Hog Grower in a demand feeder, plus any veggie/grain table scraps we had.  I find the demand feeder and a constant water supply keeps pigs from ever trying to escape.  I planted our garden 5' from their pen and they didn't try to get at it a single time.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 7:21:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Purina Hog Grower in a demand feeder, plus any veggie/grain table scraps we had.  I find the demand feeder and a constant water supply keeps pigs from ever trying to escape.  I planted our garden 5' from their pen and they didn't try to get at it a single time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cool, what do you feed?

Thanks, that's what I'm using as well.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 11:13:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Is it possible to reduce the piggy smell so as not to piss off the neighbors?
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:39:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 11:22:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yes, it's possible. Keep in mind: pigs don't smell bad it's their dung that's the issue.

If you give pigs enough square footage, their enclosure really won't smell much at all. When I start consistently smelling pig shit, I know that I'm crowding them too much. How much room do they need? At my place I find that 1500 s.f. per market hog will keep things virtually odor free. YMMV.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is it possible to reduce the piggy smell so as not to piss off the neighbors?

Yes, it's possible. Keep in mind: pigs don't smell bad it's their dung that's the issue.

If you give pigs enough square footage, their enclosure really won't smell much at all. When I start consistently smelling pig shit, I know that I'm crowding them too much. How much room do they need? At my place I find that 1500 s.f. per market hog will keep things virtually odor free. YMMV.

Thanks.  Don't have that much room in a "wife approved" area.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:31:22 PM EDT
[#10]
good drainage is key as well.  Pig crap stinks, but puddles of pig crap mud are much worse.  pigs like to dig, and they need cool damp mud to lower body temp on hot days, but you have to make sure they don't turn it into a giant mud pit or nothing you do will decrease the smell.

Ive raised pigs in a 8x8 pen, and on a 1/2 acre pasture, the more space you give, the lower the smell, but once they create a mud hole, it smells about the same.  put them down wind of you and your neighbors, and if you cant control that, give your neighbors some sausage and they'll tolerate the smell.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top