Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2015 9:38:58 PM EDT
I searched in the first couple pages but didn't see anything.

Any interest in a seed swap?

No time like winter to plan up your dirt garden or enjoy growing off season indoors..

I have a number of different types of lettuce, cukes (Pickling), and some herbs..  

I am always looking for new to me heirloom tomatoes..

A link to my thread about Hydro with seed starting info  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_19/684115_Hydroponic_how_to__started_December_28th___updated__.html

One bad thing about tacking a thread--folks tend to skim right over them.  I edited to make the title bold so people will notice it.... .kitties
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:57:23 PM EDT
[#1]

If you like radishes, I have Hungarian Summer radish seeds.  They are supposed to be planted in hot weather so they don't go to seed (yeah, the opposite of most radishes!).  They are orange/yellow skin and white inside.  They can get big if you have good sunny weather like VA.  Up here, they will do well too.  I am planning on planting some in early spring to get more seed stock, and also planting them in my garlic bed once the garlic is harvested mid-summer around July 15.  I have some seeds now though so I could swap it for something else.  I'll get some pictures up and if the thread gets more activity, we can start trading.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 8:44:13 PM EDT
[#2]

I found an article of what I call Hungarian Summer radishes.  This is a great radish, especially for those of you that live in hotter parts of the U.S. since it mimics Central Europes weather.  My dad gave me seeds he brought back from Hungary but the seeds I have to swap are descendants of those.  This is a link to the article:  Link

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:28:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Any other growers out there?  A seed swap with 2 participants is going to suck...
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:26:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:58:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the timely reminder to get those seeds organized!

Past seed swaps here have not had much participation. Don't let that disappoint you! I think a big part of the problem with that is many members of this forum already have a good supply or source for their anticipated needs.

I know that I have been the beneficiary of previous swaps and hereby thank all who have participated in the past. A couple of notable items I received that worked out well for me were some Hopi winter squash from Xsabers and some Matt's Wild Cherry tomatoes (thanks Kevin).

I don't know what I might need but I can offer a few open pollinated:

Matt's Wild Cherry tomatoes
Basil, sweet
Garlic chives
Mixed Marigolds

Drop me an IM and I'll pay it forward.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:48:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Im in. Currently mobile and keeping it brief, but I raise most of my own food and have been focusing on heirlooms and natives for the past few years.

ETA:  OK, I'll start my list from memory and update with more offerings and details on types:

Trees (offering seedlings or seed)
Pawpaw
North American Persimmon
Chestnut (Chinese)
Black Walnut
Sassafras

Shrub (plants):
Elderberry
Gooseberry
Thornless Blackberry

Veggies:
German Horseradish
Luffa Sponges (fried flowers are excellent)
Pumpkins (will report types)
Sunflowers (will report types)
Tomatoes (~ 20 heirloom types)
Lots of alliums
Asparagus
Sun Chokes
Cascade Hops

Mushrooms:
Blonde/Gray Morels (spores)

Appalachian Ginseng berries
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:11:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Ok, here is my current list of available seeds

Lettuce:  (I have only grown these in Hydro so I do not know what soil will do)
Royal Red - Beautiful color and great yields
Red Giant
Grand Rapids - Fantastic yields
Royal Green
Oak Leaf - Fantastic yields
Black Seeded Simpson - has suffered from tip burn but it might be a pH issue on my end as it was mixed with another variety that suffered from to low pH.
Camino Real
May King
Ruby Crunch
Mesclun
Arugula - this is super spicy if you like that...  I love it, but my wife says it is too hot.
Waldmann's Dark Green - Good leaf lettuce
Simpson - Nice plants, very light green.  Nice bowl color.

Blue Dwarf Kale - Fantastic in Salads raw.  Great yield, I just keep taking cuttings and let the plant grow.

Spinach:  (grown only in hydro so I do not know how it does in soil)
Bloomsdale - good yield, 3 weeks to start harvest for baby spinach
Americana - good yield, same 3 weeks

Cucumber:

National Pickling - Good yields on vigorous vines (soil and hydro)
Rhine Pickling - Just got these in on another swap.  They are growing great, but I have not harvested yet.  (this is in hydro)
Spanberg Pickling - New to me.  Have not grown yet.
Danish Pickling - Growing well in hydro but I have not harvested yet.
Pickle bush - Good compact cuke.  (only grown in soil)

Pepper
Ghost - great plant with good yield,  no fruit yet but it is from a friend who's plant is 4 years old and looks like a tree.
Pepperoncini Greek - Has done well in soil.  First year in hydro.

Herbs:

Dill - I do not know the variety, I harvested seed off of a plant a few years ago and have been growing it every year since, collecting the seed.  Nice flavor and odor.
Italian Parsley - Growing well.
Thyme - Pretty and pungent.
Basil - this would have to be a cutting as I have never let it go to seed.

Tomato:  (I grew these in dirt over the summer and they did great in Virginia.  First seed harvest run, growing good in hydro now though..  but I have not had yield on these yet.  I will update as my grow goes.)

Early Girl
German Johnson
Floradade
A cherry tomato that I have no idea the variety

I also have a cloner as well if anyone is local and wants established rooted plants, I can do that in a week, just need to know what you want.  If anyone is in Northern Virginia and wants to learn about Hydro, I have no problem opening my grow room to new growers.  it is stupid simple and a fun hobby.  Contrary to my set up, it doesn't have to be an expensive hobby, you can do it on the cheap.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:30:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you like radishes, I have Hungarian Summer radish seeds.  They are supposed to be planted in hot weather so they don't go to seed (yeah, the opposite of most radishes!).  They are orange/yellow skin and white inside.  They can get big if you have good sunny weather like VA.  Up here, they will do well too.  I am planning on planting some in early spring to get more seed stock, and also planting them in my garlic bed once the garlic is harvested mid-summer around July 15.  I have some seeds now though so I could swap it for something else.  I'll get some pictures up and if the thread gets more activity, we can start trading.
View Quote

I would love to try these on a flood table indoors this winter.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 7:52:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 7:54:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 9:03:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Wow, they look like sweet potatoes!

I have nothing worth swapping. Just some castor beans, marigolds and mixed gourds, but I hope this thread takes off.

Debating on whether tacking it was good for it or bad for it.  I think a lot of people skim the threads at the top.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I found an article of what I call Hungarian Summer radishes.  This is a great radish, especially for those of you that live in hotter parts of the U.S. since it mimics Central Europes weather.  My dad gave me seeds he brought back from Hungary but the seeds I have to swap are descendants of those.  This is a link to the article:  Link

http://www.hillcreekfarmpa.com/SiteAssets/yradish%20out%20of%20ground.jpg

I have nothing worth swapping. Just some castor beans, marigolds and mixed gourds, but I hope this thread takes off.

Debating on whether tacking it was good for it or bad for it.  I think a lot of people skim the threads at the top.

If you want to try something but don't have anything to share, just let me know.  I can spare seed...  
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 9:59:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.hillcreekfarmpa.com/SiteAssets/yradish%20out%20of%20ground.jpg

I think it's a good idea to tack.  That's where I found this again.

Link Posted: 12/16/2015 10:00:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK.  I'll get some seeds together.  They're still in the seed pods if you know how radishes flower.  I'll send an IM.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 10:24:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

OK.  I'll get some seeds together.  They're still in the seed pods if you know how radishes flower.  I'll send an IM.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ordered a larger flood table but it is currently back ordered..  The pot forums must have a secret santa program too..  who knew?
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 10:27:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Sounds like a good thread.

Yes, I'm campaigning for a thread about it. But I know those take time.  I have several I've started and not maintained so no worries if you don't have time.
View Quote

I received some new to me seeds on a Cola Warrior gift exchange.  I was planning on documenting up the progress of them, I might make it into a full out grow thread with a twice or so a week pic update.  Do you think there would be much interest here?  It would be an easy walk through of hydroponics for various plants.  Tomatoes go high on the TDS but would be fairly similar for most plants.

Link Posted: 12/16/2015 11:42:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 5:50:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Open to requests...  If anyone has a seed request, put it in the thread..

I also added the link to my hydro thread in the OP.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 11:15:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I've got some seeds I'll mail for free to someone who can use them.  I've moved into a place where I can't grow anything.  Most packets have been opened with varying amounts of seed remaining but there's at least enough in all packets to get a few plants.

Full disclosure, some of these seeds are up to 4 years old.  Always got good germination and have been stored in a dry/cool closet out of light.

Burpee
marigolds
Salad Delight cabbage
Salad Rose radish

Baker Creek Heirlooms
Arugula
Waltham 29 broccoli
Early Jersey Wakefield cabbage
Aunt Ruby's German Green tomatoes
Roma tomatoes
Bronze Beauty lettuce
May Queen butterhead lettuce
Red Romaine lettuce
Rouge Grenobloise lettuce
Corn Salad Dutch greens
Little Gem lettuce
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:03:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 11:48:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So you don't want seeds in return?

I'd LOVE some of the heirloom tomatoes but I don't have any good seeds to exchange, so please put me last on the list.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've got some seeds I'll mail for free to someone who can use them.  I've moved into a place where I can't grow anything.  Most packets have been opened with varying amounts of seed remaining but there's at least enough in all packets to get a few plants.

Full disclosure, some of these seeds are up to 4 years old.  Always got good germination and have been stored in a dry/cool closet out of light.

Burpee
marigolds
Salad Delight cabbage
Salad Rose radish

Baker Creek Heirlooms
Arugula
Waltham 29 broccoli
Roma tomatoes
Bronze Beauty lettuce
Red Romaine lettuce
Corn Salad Dutch greens
Little Gem lettuce

I'd LOVE some of the heirloom tomatoes but I don't have any good seeds to exchange, so please put me last on the list.  

Kitties..  we can also work this as a pay it forward thread too...  just a thought.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:33:39 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a HUGE variety of OP and Heirloom seeds. I will work on a list in the coming days. If anyone wants any specific varieties, please let me know. I have sent seeds to a few people here already.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:34:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 3:00:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That's totally fine--This is YOUR thread and you can run it however you want.  And if people have seeds they just want to GIVE, that's fine too.  

I was thinking that to generate more traffic and get the annual swap going,  swaps  should come first, but I could be wrong about that. Maybe getting new folks started is just as important.

I'm highly interested in this not only to a) keep varieties around and b) educate people about heirlooms but c) for sake of sustainability and genetic variation.  

Oh and for taste.  The truck tomatoes we get around here are like cardboard even in the summer,, and even some of the better "eating" hybrids have grown less flavorful over the years..  .  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Burpee
marigolds
Salad Delight cabbage
Salad Rose radish

Baker Creek Heirlooms
Arugula
Waltham 29 broccoli
Roma tomatoes
Bronze Beauty lettuce
Red Romaine lettuce
Corn Salad Dutch greens
Little Gem lettuce

Kitties..  we can also work this as a pay it forward thread too...  just a thought.

That's totally fine--This is YOUR thread and you can run it however you want.  And if people have seeds they just want to GIVE, that's fine too.  

I was thinking that to generate more traffic and get the annual swap going,  swaps  should come first, but I could be wrong about that. Maybe getting new folks started is just as important.

I'm highly interested in this not only to a) keep varieties around and b) educate people about heirlooms but c) for sake of sustainability and genetic variation.  

Oh and for taste.  The truck tomatoes we get around here are like cardboard even in the summer,, and even some of the better "eating" hybrids have grown less flavorful over the years..  .  

A lot of that cardboard taste is coming from hydro-grown greenhouse tomatoes.  The nutrient solution gives it that taste.  I have been running flushing solutions prior to harvest for mine and that really helped.  It doesn't help your purchases but might be the cause of the loss of flavor.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 3:06:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 7:13:14 PM EDT
[#26]
The hybrids and modified plants to aid in shipping and shelf life are a huge problem.  I thought you were picking through to only the tasty breeds and leaving the shelf stable stuff to sit.  Comparatively hydro tomatoes grown in a basic nutrient solution will never be as good as dirt grown plants.  I have been experimenting with different additives to either remove the solution taste or trace minerals to add in the subtle nuances for flavor.  It has been fun to work with different stuff to get here.  The dirt plants get loads of excess minerals and nutrients that a pure blend of a hydro mix as it is what the plant needs to grow doesn't.

Kitties..  if there is anything in my list that you want, just let me know.  I don't need anything back.  If anyone is local to NoVA and wants established plants, I can do that too.  dropping in some extra stuff to my germinator and then putting it on my flood table is no big deal.  I have plenty of space.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 10:52:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 10:55:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Burpee
marigolds
Salad Delight cabbage
Salad Rose radish

Baker Creek Heirlooms
Arugula
Waltham 29 broccoli
Roma tomatoes
Bronze Beauty lettuce
Red Romaine lettuce
Corn Salad Dutch greens
Little Gem lettuce

If OP will allow pay-it-forward then I am giving away these seeds for free. Better than having them rot. If it works out hopefully I can lean on the community in a couple years for seeds to get started again. Let me know which varieties you want and we can PM to figure out shipping details.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 11:09:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 1:16:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I ordered a larger flood table but it is currently back ordered..  The pot forums must have a secret santa program too..  who knew?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't forgotten .

I also have some parsley root seeds.  

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:51:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 2:38:03 PM EDT
[#32]

How are you all mailing your seeds?

How are you padding them?  I know that if the envelope is < 1/4" thick, it's not considered a "package".  I may use bubble-wrap.  

For tiny or flat seeds like carrot or dill, I don't think you even need padding, but for thicker seeds I don't want them crushed.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 2:47:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Anyone in the south want some onion sets?  I have some red creole and candy left over.  I'll package them back in the dixondale box and send them your way.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:31:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:32:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 11:14:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top