Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2015 11:17:55 AM EDT
Getting very cold at night around here!  I'm considering transplanting a jalapeno an Thai chili pepper into pots to keep thru the winter. Is miracle grow potting soil the way to go?
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 11:40:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I have done this with Thai and sweets.  Are you going to bare root it into potting soil?  I've dug up as much root ball as possible..  I wouldn't bare root it.  Disturbing the fine roots would definitely cause issues.

Do you have a greenhouse?  Or sunroom?  Peppers like lots of light, so you may need supplemental light.  And they light and warmth.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 2:47:51 PM EDT
[#2]
This is my first year trying this but it seems to have been very successful. I dug up as much of the rootball as I could and placed it into a larger pot with premoistened potting soil with some soil amendments. I now have 8 Carolina Reaper plants under grow lights inside. They are all thriving/ flowering and I have a few peppers as well.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 7:41:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I dig up a good portion of the root ball, but did break off some of the very fine ones.  I put them both into pots approximately twice the size of the ball.  I don't have a green house or sunroom--enough light will be a challenge for me...along with keeping the cats from eating on the leaves.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:27:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, the jalapeno plant doesn't look like it's going to make it. The Thai pepper is rebounding over the past few days though!
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:36:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, the jalapeno plant doesn't look like it's going to make it. The Thai pepper is rebounding over the past few days though!
View Quote

I brought in a Ghost pepper (a month ago).  You may not have a problem with this at all, but in trying to bring peppers indoors over the years, they've been killed off by aphids.  It's interesting because aphids aren't a problem outdoors where there are enough predators to keep the aphid population down to almost nothing.  I can honestly say that I've almost never seen an aphid on my outdoor pepper plants.  Once indoors, they multiply exponentially it seems.  I have tried insecticidal soap, but even that couldn't keep them under control.  Hopefully that isn't a problem for you.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 11:34:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top