BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 3:33:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Good dogs, they deserved a steak or two

I prefer the American bulldog, it was bred for farm guardian duties, however again if you havent owned a bullydog I wouldn't suggest them. Also mine doesnt free range around the property his primary duty is to protect the home, but he does patrol the property and helps keep the wild animals away from the livestock.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 3:43:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rhodesian Ridgeback.
View Quote

Was gonna post this..
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 3:52:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Well trained ridgeback. Otherwise, super dangerous.  They are hunters by nature, and are seriously ruthless at it.

Any herd and/or guard dog type work well.  Have a cur with a little shepherd in him, hard headed as hell but one hell of a protector/lookout.  Had labs growing up, great dogs.  Also had several mutts, really can't beat a good mutt when it comes to intelligence and loyalty.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rhodesian Ridgeback.

Well trained ridgeback. Otherwise, super dangerous.  They are hunters by nature, and are seriously ruthless at it.

Any herd and/or guard dog type work well.  Have a cur with a little shepherd in him, hard headed as hell but one hell of a protector/lookout.  Had labs growing up, great dogs.  Also had several mutts, really can't beat a good mutt when it comes to intelligence and loyalty.

This.
I have a co-worker, a single woman, who has a Rhodesian Ridgeback. Very alert dog. Once she knows you are friendly, and that Missus accepts your company, she's OK with you, and becomes very friendly, and still keeps an eye open.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 4:27:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck....  
View Quote

Yeah, what i thought. I've always respected a boerboel (ridgeback/ mastiff cross), but feared a damn GSD like death itself. I've seen a boerboel do some crazy things. They are quiet and deceptively quick for their size. A GSD thinks about shit though and always seem to have larger teeth than anything else
I'd keep boerboels again. They are fantastic guardians, but I think they need some brains behind the operation, like a GSD.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 1:16:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 7:05:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I would recommend a West/East German or Czech Working Line GSD, or a Dutchie! The working line GSD's are amazing, if trained properly! Same for the Dutch Shepherds!

Link Posted: 12/6/2015 7:21:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Jiminy Crickets.  Where in the country/world does your friend live?  Assuming since the mess is all on the inside of the house, he didn't have any trouble from authorities?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
*WARNING* GRAPHIC CONTENT FOLLOWS!
These are pictures shared by a friend of mine on FB - attempted break-in at a house in his neighborhood. 2 Boerboels and a GSD got a hold of the perp. He didn't make it.

<snip>

Jiminy Crickets.  Where in the country/world does your friend live?  Assuming since the mess is all on the inside of the house, he didn't have any trouble from authorities?

It's South Africa...I would personally just have washed the blood away and kept my mouth shut. The laws regarding self defense suck in that country. Part of the reason I got the hell out of there.
I got a correction on the story. It was 1 boerboel and 1 GSD. A dog inside and a dog outside. Still unclear which was which, but I suspect the boerboel was outside.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 11:09:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Need to know the climate
Do you have livestock that needs protection
Germany shepherd is a good people dog best dogs for me
Great pyrenees is not a people dog stays to their own need the on time great at keeping coyotes away.
Most short hair dogs don't like the cold my oldest shepherd needs to come in on the cold days 30 are below .
How,much time do you have to train them. How many dogs do you want
To do much good aginst a real threat 3 are more do the best.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top