Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/8/2015 4:44:19 PM EDT
We are looking at what kind of dog to get.  160 acres, no close neighbors.  I'd like a medium/medium large sized animal that could be possibly trained to track wounded deer, antler shed hunt, and enjoy being outside most of the year when I'm am working around the property.  I don't waterfowl hunt, but I've always enjoyed the labs friends and family have had.  Me and the wife are both pretty active, and once we get the house built I'll be at the property full time so leaving the dog in the house/alone won't be a constant issue.

Help me out here, growing up I had a Collie, nice enough dog but way to much fur for the amount of sticky things we have around.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 4:49:29 PM EDT
[#1]
GSD.

Link Posted: 11/8/2015 4:51:14 PM EDT
[#2]
<---------

Walker coonhound.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Just looked a bit at that breed...might be a good option.  Do you have a problem keeping them close?  We also have coyotes around.  

Eta-do they drink all your good whiskey?
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 4:59:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Rhodesian Ridgeback.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 5:22:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rhodesian Ridgeback.
View Quote

Well trained ridgeback. Otherwise, super dangerous.  They are hunters by nature, and are seriously ruthless at it.

Any herd and/or guard dog type work well.  Have a cur with a little shepherd in him, hard headed as hell but one hell of a protector/lookout.  Had labs growing up, great dogs.  Also had several mutts, really can't beat a good mutt when it comes to intelligence and loyalty.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 6:05:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Well trained ridgeback. Otherwise, super dangerous.  They are hunters by nature, and are seriously ruthless at it.

Any herd and/or guard dog type work well.  Have a cur with a little shepherd in him, hard headed as hell but one hell of a protector/lookout.  Had labs growing up, great dogs.  Also had several mutts, really can't beat a good mutt when it comes to intelligence and loyalty.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rhodesian Ridgeback.

I agree, they are serious hunters. I had one on the big island of Hawaii back in they day and it would patrol the property by itself,perimeter patrols. No one bothered me. Good boy.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 6:18:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just looked a bit at that breed...might be a good option.  Do you have a problem keeping them close?  We also have coyotes around.  

Eta-do they drink all your good whiskey?
View Quote

In my limited experience GSDs tend not to roam.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 7:09:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Golden Retriever... Duh
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 7:55:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Rhodesian Ridgeback.
View Quote

This.

Link Posted: 11/8/2015 8:29:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rhodesian Ridgeback.

Dangerous in what way?  Towards people or any living critter?  I'm not looking for a cruise missle of death, neighbors do walk the dirt road with their dogs.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Weimaraner
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 9:10:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Great Pyrenees - territorial and protective and very laid back until it's time to "Get It On" with predators or tresspassers
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 12:52:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Black mouth Cur

Catahoula cur
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 8:05:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Catahoula cur

That is my next dog once I move to my country property.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 8:25:22 AM EDT
[#15]
English mastiff. The original castle protector. Smart low maintenance dogs.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 8:52:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Get a Lab.  Sweet, friendly, and smart, great for hunting.  I have a female Ridgeback at the moment and she's a great dog, but she'd be worthless for hunting or tracking when compared to a Lab.  

Link Posted: 11/9/2015 8:58:29 AM EDT
[#17]

Blackmouth or Catahoula or Mountain cur
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 9:06:16 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Dangerous in what way?  Towards people or any living critter?  I'm not looking for a cruise missle of death, neighbors do walk the dirt road with their dogs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rhodesian Ridgeback.

They can be retarded instead. Ex GF had one that was nice, but poorly trained.

BY dangerous he probably means that since they were domesticated as village guard dogs, and co-habitated with people if poorly trained to not separate threat from friend, they'll seriously fuck shit up. They were also used to hunt lions.

From my experience with the one, and reading about them, they're a lot like border collies. Smart, sensitive (I.E. don't hit or yell at them) and if their prey/ herd/ hunt drive is activated, they make it their mission in life. Other wise they don't care.  

But, I don't want to speak for him, just throwing in my .02 since I'm up.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 11:46:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Have a Bullmastiff (11mos) puppy here, great laid back dog.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 2:47:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

BY dangerous he probably means that since they were domesticated as village guard dogs, and co-habitated with people if poorly trained to not separate threat from friend, they'll seriously fuck shit up. They were also used to hunt lions.

From my experience with the one, and reading about them, they're a lot like border collies. Smart, sensitive (I.E. don't hit or yell at them) and if their prey/ herd/ hunt drive is activated, they make it their mission in life. Other wise they don't care.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rhodesian Ridgeback.

This.  If they are not socialized with other dogs, the potential that they will see them as a threat is high.  If a Ridgeback decides something is a threat, it will destroy it, period.  They are not "snap like a friendly pitbull into a baby killer" type dogs, but of all of the untrained dogs I wouldn't ever want to run into, Ridgeback is pretty high on my list.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 3:15:08 PM EDT
[#21]
That Catahoula is a good looking dog, maybe a bit larger than I'd like, though.  Guess I'm leaning towards some type of retriever/hound.  

I'm in mid Michigan, we have humid late summers, and obviously cold winters.  Dog would be inside with us at night, and, if anything like the other cats and dogs I've had, right in front of the wood burner snoozing.   My cousin got a chocolate lab/German shorthair mix that seems to have the best of both of those breeds.  Still lots of energy, but just a good all terrain/all season up for anything dog.  

Thanks to everyone for their time and input.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 7:49:37 AM EDT
[#22]
I've found the best dogs are adopted mutts. They're usually more even tempered, lack the AKC caused inbreeding defects, and are all around great dogs.

Plus you can get a whole pack of them all at once at the pound
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 1:27:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Golden Retriever... Duh
View Quote

This! The best at wanting to follow your commands. Tracking, sheds, outside, water. They can do it all except they have soft jaws designed to not crush birds and can even hold eggs unbroken. They come unfluffy in hunting lines.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 3:18:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've found the best dogs are adopted mutts. They're usually more even tempered, lack the AKC caused inbreeding defects, and are all around great dogs.

View Quote

A lot of truth to this.  My uncles 12+ year old rescue dog passed away recently, it looked for all intents like a slightly overweight coyote, anyway, very loyal and trouble free dog that was pretty healthy until he went to sleep. I swear that dog would roll his eyes if you did something stupid.   What will probably happen is that when we are settled on the property, the right dog will adopt us.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 7:57:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Mountain Cur dogs will be the only dogs I own from here on out.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 8:23:50 PM EDT
[#26]
The list of dogs that would fit your need is LONG. Also, do you have a budget? Many purebred dogs can get into $1,500-$2,500 range. Hunting dogs may not always correlate with guardian dogs. Above posters are correct. Dogs often work best when paired. They have a pack mentality. Some of my favorites have been a Vizsla, Cane Corso, Golden or Lab Retriever, GSD, Belgian malanois, etc. Many will adapt to what you want them to do although some breeds just do things best of course.

How they are raised literally makes up 90% of the dog IMO.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 8:49:42 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a bernese mountain dog, but that is way bigger than you want.

Other than her, the best outdoors dog I ever had was a German Shorthair.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 3:22:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Lab
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 3:44:32 PM EDT
[#29]
I like Airedale's.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 1:22:08 PM EDT
[#30]
My vote would be for an Akita.  They are very loyal and intelligent animals.  They aren't destructive and can be an inside and/or outside dog.  Our first 3 were primarily outside and our current one is inside.  He is very disciplined but also can be spiteful.  If we walk to the neighbors house he will take a crap right inside the front door.  The neighbors are dog people and have a little dog that he likes.  His thought process is that we should take him with us and so to avoid the problem we actually get in the car and drive around the block to see our next door neighbor.  It sounds silly but it works.  On the contrary we can leave meat on the counter to thaw and have never had him touch it.  

The downside in my opinion is they can be territorial towards other animals.  My current one is the worst I have seen with this, he will kill any uninvited dog on our property.  He is fine with all but 2 of our neighbors dogs.  The 2 he doesn't like he totally ignores them barking and taunting him until they set foot in our yard, then its a death sentence.  One is an older lab and the other an Australian Shepard.

Here is a link with more information from myself and other ARF members.  

Guard Dog Thread on ARF  The dog I mentioned getting in my post on this thread I still have today.  He is great with our 4lb Yorkie and my 11 month old daughter.  

Sad Akita Story

Grove
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 5:33:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

A lot of truth to this.  My uncles 12+ year old rescue dog passed away recently, it looked for all intents like a slightly overweight coyote, anyway, very loyal and trouble free dog that was pretty healthy until he went to sleep. I swear that dog would roll his eyes if you did something stupid.   What will probably happen is that when we are settled on the property, the right dog will adopt us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This 100%.  My wife is a vet tech at our local animal hospital and the mutts are always the best.  Of course saying that usually offends those who shelled out the big bucks for a pure bread designer dog.

That said our current dog is an English shepherd type mix.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 11:21:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Lab vote here have had only three that were my own since I was seven. 4 including my new brides 3 yr old yellow and he's the best yet. We are both interested in Rottweilers next and I m interested in the Cur dog. But labs are so hard to beat.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 10:44:59 AM EDT
[#33]
My Aussie/border collie mix is awesome.
She is very protective of "her " territory. No one comes...goes or moves with out her taking notice. Other animals outside of her "herd " on it like flies to shit. She's cuaght all but one possum trying to set up shop...treed two bears...and about a dozen coons.
Tree rats are her crack cocaine .....even muttering "squir........." off at 5k MPH to each tree...around the yard and stays on watch for 10 minutes.
And once she is focused on her target that's it...until I pulled her off...then she circles and waits.
Very very smart dog..
I say "patrol " at dark and she's up and in front of me searching as we walk the perimeter ...

I jog her each day...and hopefully in spring well start a new flock and get her used to "the babies ". Some reason you say that and she get super careful around smaller animals.  Sheltered some hand sized kittens during a storm one night (mom had spooked and left them..thx to the dog)
After letting her smell them and saying the above...she put them between her paws and started licking them clean.

She hates small dogs and out 16+ year old cat.......

But she's been a great rescue ...and awesome addition to our family.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:11:57 PM EDT
[#34]
One thing I worry about when people mention they have an acreage and want a dog is that they think it's OK just to let a dog run. There is a very good chance that a dog left on its own will get into trouble, when there's two of them they will get into ten times the trouble. Running deer, killing livestock, getting run over on the road, it's just not a good idea to let them run.

Off my soapbox.

I've owned one lab and a flatcoat retreiver. My DW is into ridgebacks and we've owned seven, four at one time. It's been an interesting life If you get a dog be serious about training. An untrained dog isn't fun to be around. If you can't train it get some help. For a first time dog owner I wouldn't recommend a ridgeback, unless you are ready for a serious time commitment for training, other breeds like the labs are much easier to train. On the other hand the ridgebacks are very cool dogs. Ours will hunt upland birds, track (wounded deer included), herd, run like the wind, play like they are going to kill each other, and will probably turn me into a cripple one of these days by running into me and taking out a knee. They are also good lap dogs. And I've had too many beers tonight or maybe just enough so here's some pics:

This guy was second best dog at the Ridgeback national specialty a few years back:

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 9:10:25 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

One thing I worry about when people mention they have an acreage and want a dog is that they think it's OK just to let a dog run. There is a very good chance that a dog left on its own will get into trouble, when there's two of them they will get into ten times the trouble. Running deer, killing livestock, getting run over on the road, it's just not a good idea to let them run.
Off my soapbox.
I've owned one lab and a flatcoat retreiver. My DW is into ridgebacks and we've owned seven, four at one time. It's been an interesting life If you get a dog be serious about training. An untrained dog isn't fun to be around. If you can't train it get some help. For a first time dog owner I wouldn't recommend a ridgeback, unless you are ready for a serious time commitment for training, other breeds like the labs are much easier to train. On the other hand the ridgebacks are very cool dogs. Ours will hunt upland birds, track (wounded deer included), herd, run like the wind, play like they are going to kill each other, and will probably turn me into a cripple one of these days by running into me and taking out a knee. They are also good lap dogs. And I've had too many beers tonight or maybe just enough so here's some pics:
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll43/Jackpine_Savage/IMG_2927640x480.jpg
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll43/Jackpine_Savage/DSC_0132640x426.jpg
This guy was second best dog at the Ridgeback national specialty a few years back:
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll43/Jackpine_Savage/709GUNC31772.jpg
View Quote

Awesome looking RRs... and agreed on all points.

I know exactly what you mean about the buckled knee - they love to buzz the tower when they are tearing after each other at top speed and have a very well developed sense of humor.

They make our 25 acres feel tiny the way they cover ground at speed.
Here are my girls and an example of how they "play":

And back when they were pups:

And our previous (and my best) girl:

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 9:24:15 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

She is very protective of "her " territory. No one comes...goes or moves with out her taking notice. Other animals outside of her "herd " on it like flies to shit. She's cuaght all but one possum trying to set up shop...treed two bears...and about a dozen coons.

Tree rats are her crack cocaine .....even muttering "squir........." off at 5k MPH to each tree...around the yard and stays on watch for 10 minutes.

And once she is focused on her target that's it...until I pulled her off...then she circles and waits.

Very very smart dog..

I say "patrol " at dark and she's up and in front of me searching as we walk the perimeter ...

I jog her each day...and hopefully in spring well start a new flock and get her used to "the babies ". Some reason you say that and she get super careful around smaller animals.  Sheltered some hand sized kittens during a storm one night (mom had spooked and left them..thx to the dog)

After letting her smell them and saying the above...she put them between her paws and started licking them clean.

View Quote
I like mine.

She's gotten a little more cautious as she's gotten older.

From about a year to a year and a half she was the dog embodiment of "yolo". In this pic she's calculating the necessary launch vector to land on the other purebred BC.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:44:16 AM EDT
[#37]
I grew up with Ridgebacks and Boerboels. Boerboel takes the Ridgeback mentality and tames it a bit. They are much more laid back than RR's.
If you need a serious guard dog and can put the hours in when it comes to training, go RR. If you want a dog that sticks close to home, protects really well and can open a really big can of whoopass, get a BB. They do eat a lot and they have giant mountains of shit, but they are by far, the best dogs I've owned. If they didn't cost $1000+ here in the US, I'd have one or two now. They are definitely pack animals. The family is the pack.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 12:09:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Australian shepherd was the best dog/partner i ever had and will do all things.
I had a sheltie that was a blast but loved to kill EVERYTHING.
We have to labradoodles now as we were tired of fur everywhere.
Great pets but useless.
Australian shepherd is the way to go and shedding isn't bad for what you get in return.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 2:04:12 PM EDT
[#39]
A couple other thoughts this morning.

Activity level: My DW made me aware of this. Her ridgebacks are content to sleep in the house 23 hours a day and then spend the other hour running at top speed. In that time my lab would ask to be let in and out of the house roughly 500 times At the drop of a hat, or ball my lab wanted to play, and could be quite insistent at times. Don't get me wrong I love labs and will have another to keep me company hunting birds and when the weather is too cold out for those short haired Ridgebacks.

Rescues: All but two of our Ridgebacks have been rescues. They've all been good dogs but they all had issues, some worse than others. One had terrible allergies and ended up on steroids for the rest of his life. This caused him to always be on the search for food and our kitchen looked like something out of a bad movie with cabinets locked with barrel latches and scarred from toenails.

The worst problem though was the one that was terrified of gunfire and thunder. There is a lot of gunfire here on our farm and I had to make sure he was inside with the radio turned up. Hunting season, 4th of July, and thunder storms really sucked for this dog and cost us plenty of sleep too. We would not take another rescue with that issue. When raising your own dog be damned careful about introducing them to gunfire, gun shyness is a difficult behavior to correct.

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 4:09:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Good point made earlier about letting dogs run loose.  Not going to happen as I manage for deer and turkeys, and we do have coyotes around.  Not sure what breeds go Tasmanian devil on coyotes.  

As far as shooting/gun shyness, that is a fear of mine as I'd like company when I walk the woods and I usually carry a rifle, not to mention there will be shooting in the area during various seasons.

Thanks for the continued input and the great dog pics everyone.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 4:17:58 PM EDT
[#41]
In doing some reading on coyotes, just posts on this board and others, it seems the coyotes try to sucker your dog into coming out to them with a female in heat or acting hurt and then the rest of the pack hits em.

Dogs that will work together and perhaps herding mentality are what you might want to aim for.

Many many many dogs will work, it will come down to how well you train them as well.

I am cautious with my half catahoula half mutt dogs because they will run and run and run and wind up who knows where.  It is hard keeping them around the property and with neighbors letting their dogs wander that kind of adds to the trouble because some of the scent trails my dogs pick up are on my property due to the neighbor mutts feeling they can go anywhere.

I readily admit part of my problem is my issues learning to train my dogs.  My dogs and I are always learning, they are a year and a half old now.

Another part of the issue is work has gone to double shifts every other day.  Part of training is time spent with dogs.

More fun for me to come home tired and just play with the dogs.

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#42]
We have about a two acre backyard fenced in with dog fence, that gives them a safe place to play unattended.

For gunfire we have one person doing something with the dog that the dog enjoys (playing, training) and the other start out with a .22 1/4 mile away and then gradually bring the dog closer.  There's some other methods, using a starter pistol during feed time, etc, do some reading. The dogs we've raised get excited when they hear a gun off, my lab to the point that it could be a problem too. She was getting pretty old and got away from my DW when I was doing some target shooting on the other side of the farm. She found us after about an hour, crossing a creek and swamp, the next day she was so sore she couldn't get up by herself.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I like mine.    

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/480727_10152338633935346_1256867298_n.jpg?oh=4791947dd2aced87ee7f581f80cb1956&oe=56B75E01

From about a year to a year and a half she was the dog embodiment of "yolo". In this pic she's calculating the necessary launch vector to land on the other purebred BC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very very smart dog..

I like mine.    

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/480727_10152338633935346_1256867298_n.jpg?oh=4791947dd2aced87ee7f581f80cb1956&oe=56B75E01

Were searching. She turns 7 or 8 this spring. Going strong...but is getting spoiled ...I think she needs a young buddy to hang with. LOL.

She's awesome ...but man that bark she has to tell /herd you closer to your boots and the excitement she has if I grab a pack or gun gets me in the feels. Shell..track...with me...sit and watch wait...
Just plain ole awesome breed.

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 6:16:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 6:15:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Any cur would be high on my list in your situation. They are excellent farm and all around hunting dogs.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:11:33 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Great Pyrenees - territorial and protective and very laid back until it's time to "Get It On" with predators or tresspassers

View Quote
Good choice.

I had a deposit on one, until a horse stepped on the puppy and killed it.

Than, I got a killer deal on a Tibetan Mastiff. good dog for property, but she loves to eat my chickens and kill rabbits.

But she will Fuck up anybody or coyotes,dogs, that come onto to the property.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 3:23:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 6:00:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks Kitties.  I'm defiantly not looking for an aggressive dog, I'm on this site, after all.  I've never had a bad dog, but, I have never really trained a dog to do anything either, and I'd like to at least have one that could be taught to blood trail a deer, sound the alarm (one ping....).  

Again, thanks everyone.  I've got an 18 year old cat I took in as a stray kitten (supposed to be short term)  between me and the wood stove as I type.  Our plan is to wait until she goes to the big catnip patch, and get settled on the land, and then get puppy/kitten at the same time.  I've had good luck that way.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:12:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 3:30:43 AM EDT
[#50]
*WARNING* GRAPHIC CONTENT FOLLOWS!
These are pictures shared by a friend of mine on FB - attempted break-in at a house in his neighborhood. 2 Boerboels and a GSD got a hold of the perp. He didn't make it.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top