Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2015 10:28:18 AM EDT
I have to cut up a big ass tree that we are having felled.  I don't think my MS290 Farm Boss is up to the task.  I think I need to bite the bullet and get an MS660 Magnum.  Are these top of the line saws?  I don't have kids so I don't mind spending a little (or a lot) more and get more of a saw than I'll ever need.  What say ARF?  If you're going to buy a bad ass saw what do you get?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:41:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never seen a tree that my farm boss couldn't handle. get a bigger bar. its cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:52:24 AM EDT
[#2]
If you have the money and want one, get it. However a 660 or 661 is the new model, is a heavy pig.  You don't need giant falling dogs, and I would assume you don't need a full wrap. I would look at a 441 or 461 (I'm not up on the new model numbers). You can get them without a full wrap, they don't have giant falling dogs, and they weigh like 2-3 lbs less. The smaller saws are rated by stihl for 32" bars, so if you had to you can run bigger.

I have an ms390, its not a pro series saw, but it runs good. I have a 25" bar on it and it rips through wood with it. I still use a stihl 211 for limbing and smaller stuff. I got a husky with a 20" bar this year to try too. The bigger saw will just wear out your arms doing bunches of light work with it.

Edit: my saw is a 311 not a 390.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:24:42 PM EDT
[#3]
660 is the choice of loggers in my area.  It's a very large expenditure if you don't require that big a saw all the time.

I use a 362 with a 25" bar that has yet to meet a tree it can't drop.  That and a few wedges will fell damned near anything.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:29:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Thats a big ass saw.  I have a MS361 with a 20" bar and it has a lot of power.  I'm not a pro, but I'd look at either a larger bar or maybe something like the 440.  My dad has the 440 and if I had to buy one, do it all saw, price no object, thats probably what I'd get.  But its pretty big and pricey too.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:50:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thats a big ass saw.  I have a MS361 with a 20" bar and it has a lot of power.  I'm not a pro, but I'd look at either a larger bar or maybe something like the 440.  My dad has the 440 and if I had to buy one, do it all saw, price no object, thats probably what I'd get.  But its pretty big and pricey too.
View Quote

I went to the dealer today, the 441 is only $100 or so less than the 661.  I don't mind a heavier saw.  I didn't buy yet but I want to FO hard on the 661 Magnum.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:44:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I went to the dealer today, the 441 is only $100 or so less than the 661.  I don't mind a heavier saw.  I didn't buy yet but I want to FO hard on the 661 Magnum.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then buy it, it is the top of the line logging saw. Unless you decide to strap on some corks and hit the woods I doubt you will ever wear it out.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:45:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I heat exclusively with wood.  I cut everything with a 290.   You are nuts if you buy a saw like that for one tree.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:29:27 AM EDT
[#8]
If you are dead set on buying one, buy the 661. It leaves the 660 in the dust. I would look at buying a 461, you could use it as your primary saw. A 660 is not a firewood saw, lol
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:51:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I have one, was the only Stihl in stock tight after Katrina. It is brutal to run and I find myself not using it unless I have a monster to cut. Hell of a saw!
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:06:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you are dead set on buying one, buy the 661. It leaves the 660 in the dust. I would look at buying a 461, you could use it as your primary saw. A 660 is not a firewood saw, lol
View Quote

I'm liking the 461.  Not much cheaper than a 661, but the 661 may be a little too much saw in the long run.  A 461 may suit me a little better.  Decisions, decisions...
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:17:24 PM EDT
[#11]
A 661 is my dream saw.  I can't justify the expense, my 361 does everything I need it to, but I'm like a guy with a 6 cylinder Mustang drooling over a GT350
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:34:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't cut as much wood as I used to but still keep a big saw around, a Husqvarna 395 XP. It gets used about twice a year on average. It paid for itself on two jobs a couple of years ago so it doesn't cost me anything. My 372 XP and 346 XP get used weekly. When it comes to saws bigger isn't always better, the fatigue of running a big saw is a factor.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:14:26 AM EDT
[#13]
It is a great saw for bigger trees, but mine doesn't get used as much as my smaller saws because it is heavy and burns gas rather quickly.

If the money isn't a big deal, get it and get to cutting stuff up.  It is fun.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:01:27 PM EDT
[#14]
A 441 or 461 would be a lot better for you.  You already have the 55cc saw, and that would give you a 70 or 75cc saw, which is a pretty good way to go for having two saws.  91cc is a frikin huge saw.

You could also look at a 60cc saw like the Stihl 362.  I just picked up the Husky 562 (same thing, different shade of orange), and it is a light saber in oak with a 20" bar and still very good with the 24".  If you've only got one tree, it would probably pull 28" well enough to get you through it.  But again, you already have a 55cc, so 70-75 is probably the way to go.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:41:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I got the estimate for the tree removal, basically if they leave the firewood+ sized wood (they will chip the small stuff) and don't grind the stump, the bill is $1,000 less.  So, I feel like if I buy a big saw and cut the big stuff up myself and remove the stump myself (no problem letting it season for a year or two then burning it out), then I have paid for the saw with the money I saved.  

Leaning toward the 461, I think that will do me nice.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 2:14:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I got the estimate for the tree removal, basically if they leave the firewood+ sized wood (they will chip the small stuff) and don't grind the stump, the bill is $1,000 less.  So, I feel like if I buy a big saw and cut the big stuff up myself and remove the stump myself (no problem letting it season for a year or two then burning it out), then I have paid for the saw with the money I saved.  

View Quote

Excellent choice.  What size bar are you looking at?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:00:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you will want two bars, get the saw with the big one because it will likely only be $10-15 more, then buy the small bar (and chain) as an extra because they will be more like $40-60 different.  Your math may vary, but it's something worth looking at.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:00:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If you will want two bars, get the saw with the big one because it will likely only be $10-15 more, then buy the small bar (and chain) as an extra because they will be more like $40-60 different.  Your math may vary, but it's something worth looking at.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

^Appreciate that tip, thanks!
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 3:09:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I use my 046 which is an older version of the 461 for just about everything.  I usually run a 25" bar on it.  The 660 is an excellent saw but its just to cumbersome to cut firewood.  The 046 is a nice balance between weight and power.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 2:21:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I cut trees down everyday and therefore have a 660. It is heavy and sucks gas. I use the .404 chains which is expansive but worth it for that saw. If I didn't cut trees down everyday I would more than likely not own that saw and would suck it up with a 441.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Try to match up the horsepower of the saw you want to the size of bar you will use most of the time. The 660 is a wood chewing monster of a saw, but if you are buying it for one tree, that is going to be a lot of saw weight to pack around in the future. Husqvarna 372xp is a good choice as an all around saw, but I don't know what size bar you need, so it may or may not be right for you.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 11:15:23 AM EDT
[#22]
I am going to mention the 362 again.  Unless you are cutting frequently, a heavy saw will wear you out quickly.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 3:18:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I am going to mention the 362 again.  Unless you are cutting frequently, a heavy saw will wear you out quickly.
View Quote

I'll second that (and I think my own post earlier).  I've been cutting a lot of wood the past few weeks and my MS 361 has done a great job.  I have a 20" bar and I've used it for felling a couple of decent sized trees and lot and lots of bucking/firewood cutting.  Stout and powerful enough for just about anything I could ever want to do, but still light enough to us for many hours at a time.  The real killer task is getting the cut logs split..but that's probably another thread topic.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 7:58:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Sort of in the same boat. I've got a 391 and it is a great saw but I'm getting pretty serious about a chainsaw mill and don't want to burn out my saw so looking at a 441 or 661...if I can get buyin from the boss
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 8:56:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Advice from a friend...

Chainsaws are like tractors.  Get the biggest you can afford.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 11:54:52 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm in the same boat with my 391 and my 25in bar. Not quite enough ass for some of the work I'll be doing next year 461 or 661.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 12:04:37 PM EDT
[#27]
The clearing and grubbing contractors use the 441 size saws because they are powerful and light.  The 661 are to heavy according to them.

I have an 044 and that fucker will wear you out, but has cut everything including some large tree trunks.

the 441 to 661 are rated for the same size bars.

Link Posted: 12/12/2015 1:17:57 PM EDT
[#28]
I heat with wood. I bought the 660 magnum 2 years ago. Best investment I ever made. I love it! 24 or 25" bar can't remember but I use a skip tooth chain and it just flys through logs like you wouldn't believe!!!!
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 2:54:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I heat with wood. I bought the 660 magnum 2 years ago. Best investment I ever made. I love it! 24 or 25" bar can't remember but I use a skip tooth chain and it just flys through logs like you wouldn't believe!!!!
View Quote

Pretty sure a 660 will pull a 24" full complement chain if you want to cut even faster
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 4:31:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Pretty sure a 660 will pull a 24" full complement chain if you want to cut even faster
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It'll pull Pritty much any chain! But the skip tooth is def faster than a standard chain. Well I haven't used a timer but it sure feels faster. I have a ton of chains and the skip tooth seams the fastest.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:07:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'll second that (and I think my own post earlier).  I've been cutting a lot of wood the past few weeks and my MS 361 has done a great job.  I have a 20" bar and I've used it for felling a couple of decent sized trees and lot and lots of bucking/firewood cutting.  Stout and powerful enough for just about anything I could ever want to do, but still light enough to us for many hours at a time.  The real killer task is getting the cut logs split..but that's probably another thread topic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I'm going to third or fourth it.  I love my MS 362CM with it's 25" bar (or 20" for that matter).  

Since I heat with wood as well (wood stove cranking as we speak) I use my 362 often, especially in the fall through spring.  It's taken down some pretty big trees.  A pro level saw is a joy to use in the woods.

Good luck!

Link Posted: 12/28/2015 3:09:18 AM EDT
[#32]
I will Fifth the MS362.

I bought it after having an MS290 Farm Boss for about 8 years. I had a HUGE tree that fell from my neighbor's yard into mine (~5' diameter at the base). I was responsible for cutting up everything on my side of the fence. The MS362 worked great.

I used it last thanksgiving to fell a 2' diameter tree in my buddy's yard, and then cut it into rounds. Took about half a day, total.

I used it again today to cut up a tree that fell in my parents' yard. Took about 3 hours, and most of that was cutting and moving limbs. Cut the majority of the four trunks into rounds in less than 20 minutes.

It will be used next week to cut up 4-5 trees, all 18-24" diameter, into rounds in my friend's yard.

Beast of a saw, and well worth the investment. I paid about $700 or so, three years ago.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 4:52:01 AM EDT
[#33]
I had a few big trees felled and I bought the 660 along with an Alaskan Mill. I cut enough maple slabs and cedar posts to pay for it. Its great to have that kind of power when you need it, especially if you live in an area with big trees and windstorms.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top