Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 12:02:57 PM EDT
[#1]
That looks like a raccoon stool sample.  Coyote scat will have lots of fur, and some small bones.  If you turkey hunt, you can help them out by trapping the raccoons as they are probably the number one turkey nest predator.  I've had good luck with dog proof traps with cheap dry cat food.

As far as trespassers, me and my wife own 160 acres.  Both 80's we bought were known as being good for hunting,  and were not posted or patrolled by the former landowners.  Be polite but firm when locals stop by and feel you out.  Let them know that whatever went on there before is done.  Too bad.   Toss out words like prosecution, trail cameras, whatever to let them know you won't just ask them to leave every time they are caught.  I try to make sure their spouse is around when I have the "howdy neighbor, please don't trespass" talk, no husband wants to explain a sheriff visit,  court and attorney costs to his wife just because he got caught trespassing.  Chances are she resents his hunting time anyway.  They may live near you, but they have to live with her.   You will never keep every cretin off your land, but you can deter the casual guys that try to "round off" their property.  I've got 7- 10 acre properties that back up to my south 80.  Looking at logging a 60' swath along that property line,  and fencing it down the road if I have any problems.

Biggest turds seem to be the spring morel hunters, almost got a trail camera stolen this spring by one of them.  I had the camera in a steel box, lag bolted to a big tree.  The camera was on video mode, so I got a nice clip of him approaching the camera, and then the whole box rocking slightly, and some audio of an out of shape slob grunting and wheezing trying to pull it off.  

Anyway, jealous of that PTO snowblower.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 12:24:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 2:45:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm sure you can find someone to take those beans out, average yields are around 40 bushels/acre, at around $8.50/bushel.  Head over to your local co-op elevator and explain the situation.  Sounds like your taxes just got paid for the next year.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 5:45:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm sure you can find someone to take those beans out, average yields are around 40 bushels/acre, at around $8.50/bushel.  Head over to your local co-op elevator and explain the situation.  Sounds like your taxes just got paid for the next year.
View Quote

Eh, I think I'd sooner let them go rather than sell them to a third party. That is unless you can find the farmer's heirs for certain and verify in writing that they don't want them.

It's an odd situation the OP is in with that, but I think for his sake better they go to waste than he end up in some dispute with a local having just bought the place.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 5:55:19 PM EDT
[#5]
OP, did the neighbor seem friendly? Did you find out if he owns land nearby?

I wouldn't want just anybody on my land either, but just keep in mind if you make friends with the locals they'll be friendly with you. You might have the chance to hunt on a lot more than your 40. Growing up I lived on 100 acres but for hiking, riding, hunting, etc..I had the run of closer to 500. Those landowners were generally welcomed on our property though too. Good relationships in the country can have some great perks.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 10:16:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Eh, I think I'd sooner let them go rather than sell them to a third party. That is unless you can find the farmer's heirs for certain and verify in writing that they don't want them.

It's an odd situation the OP is in with that, but I think for his sake better they go to waste than he end up in some dispute with a local having just bought the place.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this is what I'm thinking too

Quoted:
OP, did the neighbor seem friendly? Did you find out if he owns land nearby?

I wouldn't want just anybody on my land either, but just keep in mind if you make friends with the locals they'll be friendly with you. You might have the chance to hunt on a lot more than your 40. Growing up I lived on 100 acres but for hiking, riding, hunting, etc..I had the run of closer to 500. Those landowners were generally welcomed on our property though too. Good relationships in the country can have some great perks.

he said family owns land near and he lives in IL. He grew up in this area. So not a direct neighbor but he was leaving his brothers place up the road. Hard to say if friendly or just probing. I'm hoping to be friends with all my neighbors. I have just been busy but I try and wave anytime I see them and I hope to walk into some near the road or property lines.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top