User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 10:14:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 8:38:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in zone 7, Triad area of NC. Don't let the zone thing fool you though. There are big weather differences in most zones and especially in zone 7.

Squash and zucs are now going down with the SVB larvae which is a losing battle to combat. In two weeks I'll tear all them out and replant. Once the momma SVB lays her first batch of eggs she won't lay another batch. Go ahead and plant a second planting and you will probably get more by the end of sept.

I'll replant cucs next week and spray the crap out of them with Dac as soon as they come up. Cucs are iffy but I have had moderate success in getting a second crop if they make it through the first week of sept heat. They need a lot of water.

I'll replant beans the second week of August for a mid Oct harvest. We find that these are the best beans of the year for canning. The cooler weather helps keep them crisp and green. I'll pick the last batch before the first frost which is near halloween. Again water is the key early to keep them from heat stroke.

I'll plant brocoli, cabbage and brussel sprouts near the end of August. Can also put in more lettuce.

Soaker hoses come in real handy with these summer to fall plantings. They put the water exactly where its needed without wetting the leaves.

You can still get seeds online. Try Johnny's Seeds. If you really like cucs, order some 'Jade' seeds from Johnnys. Also, some of the online vendors will start putting this years leftover seeds on sale and you can really get good buys.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:24:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:31:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Replanted pole beans and cucs Sunday and they are up today. If you don't want to use fungicide trying spraying them with milk every 4 or 5 days. Better than nothing.

I would never make it as an organic gardener. I don't want to spend all year watching my hard work go to the bad because I didn't want to use insect or disease killers. Everything in moderation........

But I'm old enought to remember riding bikes behind the skeeter spraying truck at night............
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:38:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Not a disease, but a bug question. What is this, and is it hurting my plants? They are all over the okra and basil, and a few are hanging out on the peppers.

Link Posted: 8/6/2015 5:05:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 5:17:59 PM EDT
[#8]
4 stripe potato bugs ( I think)....chewing on my pepper leaves.

Something eating into my Jalapenos.

Good news is no blossom end rot on the early girl tomatoes.

Bad news is I barely planted any tomato this year.

Link Posted: 8/6/2015 5:19:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I can't tell, and I don't know your pests, but it LOOKS like a click beetle.

Have you picked one up?  If so, did it "click" to try to get away from you?

click beetle
View Quote

That was my guess too.  Around here they're a solid brown color and they congregated on the corn.  The adults didn't appear to cause any damage but their larvae, the wire worm, can cause damage to the root system.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 5:21:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 5:23:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

But I'm old enought to remember riding bikes behind the skeeter spraying truck at night............
View Quote

Ohh, those were good times
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 5:30:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yes, solid brown here, too.

In most places neither beetles nor larvae are serious ag threats, but apparently the wireworms of some species do cause trouble.

Around here, they've never been considered a serious pest.

Texas may be a different matter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
^^^That was my guess too.  Around here they're a solid brown color and they congregated on the corn.  The adults didn't appear to cause any damage but their larvae, the wire worm, can cause damage to the root system.

Yes, solid brown here, too.

In most places neither beetles nor larvae are serious ag threats, but apparently the wireworms of some species do cause trouble.

Around here, they've never been considered a serious pest.

Texas may be a different matter.

That's good to hear.  Despite a lot of reading I never did find out conclusively if the brown click bug larvae was trouble..  I should take the time to call the local extension service.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 5:33:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 9:15:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyone have any idea what is eating my bellpepper plants?

Link Posted: 9/22/2015 8:50:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Anyone have any idea what is eating my bellpepper plants?

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w453/jmalone19/Mobile%20Uploads/20150921_174822_zpslcwskzdv.jpg
View Quote

Bump anyone??? Should I make a thread for this?
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:20:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top