Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2015 1:46:00 PM EDT
Any one have comments to the effectiveness of the propane powered weed torches?

I was wondering if the were worth the effort?

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:58:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I use one every spring and fall around my garden fencing. Gave up pulling weeds or weed wacking in that area. It's not the best answer as it doesnt kill the weed root, but at least it makes me feel better about it.

Got mine at harbor freight for like $20.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:10:04 PM EDT
[#2]
works great, but temporary, does not kill the root.

Great for gravel driveways, edges.

Be careful if you have your piled-up leaves from fall right outside your driveway, as they will catch on fire and almost burn the woods down.  Ask me how I know.

Great also for lighting charcoal, starting bonfires and many other things.

lastly, it is like a mini-flamethrower, so just fun in general.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:15:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. I have a terrace that is about 10 ft by 80 ft. I was all over grown with weeds and vines.

Not anymore! Yup got the torch from Harbor Freight and it did the trick! No I just gotta stay on top of it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:39:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Use one in my gravel/rock driveway (200 ft plus 80x30 side parking area).  I do spray with roundup first (pramitol will leach to neaby yard), let it all get nice and brown, then go after it with the torch.  Its much more fun/faster that way.  I do the same around my lagoon a few times a year to keep the weeds and cattails down.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:47:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Use one in my gravel/rock driveway (200 ft plus 80x30 side parking area).  I do spray with roundup first (pramitol will leach to neaby yard), let it all get nice and brown, then go after it with the torch.  Its much more fun/faster that way.  I do the same around my lagoon a few times a year to keep the weeds and cattails down.
View Quote

Ahhh... good strategy. I will remember that if there is a next time.  There was a lot of dead undergrowth that caught on fire pretty quickly - it took care of the green top layer.

The wife got home and asked why I smelled like the grill
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:52:09 PM EDT
[#6]
My wife drug one home. I couldn't find it to give it to you.
Round Up is what you want.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:12:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Too much poison ivy blended in around here to risk a torch.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top