Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2015 11:04:40 AM EDT
Here in upstate NY, i have huge problems at my house with stink bugs and cucumber beetles.

After fighting the stink bugs for a couple years, i found the best way to deal with them is to not plant antthing they like. This means no more sauash, zucchini, or melons.

This Spring, the mop pusher wanted cucumbers. I warned her of the cucumber beetles but told her we'd try again if she wished. Well. The bastards are back and causing problems.
My garden is 100% organic so i wont do poisons. I read a few ideas online about building traps but i want to hear what you all do about it.
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:31:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably too late now that they are there, but next year try some floating row covers early, and you might be able to keep them from getting in there.  
Good luck with the garden!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:36:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Have you tried a yellow solo cup covered in tanglefoot with a cotton ball stapled on that has a few drops of allspice or clove oil?  Supposedly the scent attracts them along with the yellow, they fly in and get stuck.  I say supposedly because I have never tried this.  I usually only see 3 or 4 cucumber beetles in a season here so it hasn't been worth bothering with.  If you do try it can you update your results in the pests thread?  That way we can add it to the repository there (same forum, back a bit)

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:57:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Im on vaca this coming week. Will def try. Whats tanglefoot? And where to do i get some?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:12:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Im on vaca this coming week. Will def try. Whats tanglefoot? And where to do i get some?
View Quote

tanglefoot is really sticky stuff that stays sticky and doesn't ever really dry out.  I think I got my from Amazon, but your local garden center might have some as well.   Coat the outside of the cup with it, staple a stick and the cotton ball to the bottom and use the stick to stick it into the ground near your cucumbers.  If it does work, you will see the trapped bugs on the cup.

Good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top