User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 7:37:13 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So are they hinged at the top and were just sitting on top of the beds?

If so, they'd have blown down first thing if I did that up here.  We have to anchor everything.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Never thought I would be making a post about the three trellises being blown over.  

A bad line of storms came across the southeast in the past 48 hours.  This morning when I was getting my daughter to daycare I noticed all three trellises were down.  All three were tipped over.  Two were tipped onto the fence.  Those winds must have been perfect because each trellis had a wide base but nothing else was damaged.  If you look at the last set of pictures I posted, the last picture has the two that tipped over the fence in the background.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/samiamgarden/IMG_1308_zpswb3rlr0b.jpg~original

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/samiamgarden/IMG_1309_zpsbeii2yrt.jpg~original

So are they hinged at the top and were just sitting on top of the beds?

If so, they'd have blown down first thing if I did that up here.  We have to anchor everything.
Hinged at the top, spread open at the base and sitting in the grass/walkway.

I have been thinking of anchoring them since this happened.  But I had hoped the wide base + weight of each one would prevent any tipping.  Another lesson learned.

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 12:50:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 11:04:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Out of the archives post.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 12:38:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:03:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Part of the reason why I garden is the learning/discovery aspect.  Today I pulled a leek and a garlic.  It is amazing how similar they look.  The garlic actually tasted like garlic, but had a ton of heat. That was an "italian" garlic.

Edit:  something I have noticed recently is the supervisors have become very interested in the garlic, but don't eat it.  They like to sniff it constantly while I am working in the garden.

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 9:28:30 PM EDT
[#6]
These pictures are from two weekends ago

Onions in the front, and planted bed in the rear.  From right to left in the rear bed is beefsteak/brandywine tomatoes, silver queen corn in 2 rows, clemson okra in two rows, then bell peppers, jalapenos, and paisano tomatoes in the front.

Leeks

Garlic and onions in the back.

the 4th bed has beans.  1/2 is blue lake and the other side is fortex and I forget the other green bean.

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 11:47:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 5:11:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 9:19:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Did you think the leeks were easy to grow?

I've never tried them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Part of the reason why I garden is the learning/discovery aspect.  Today I pulled a leek and a garlic.  It is amazing how similar they look.  The garlic actually tasted like garlic, but had a ton of heat. That was an "italian" garlic.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/samiamgarden/IMG_0463_zps2vajabjq.jpg

Edit:  something I have noticed recently is the supervisors have become very interested in the garlic, but don't eat it.  They like to sniff it constantly while I am working in the garden.

Did you think the leeks were easy to grow?

I've never tried them.

Quoted:

Have you grown leeks before?  How do you use them in cooking?  Are you hilling them up?

Leeks aren't done yet.  They should be about an inch thick when full grown.  I planted a center row in my bean bed so I could pull some early to eat.  

This is my first time growing them.  I got these from DixonDale and couldn't be happier.  I know some people say the onion sets don't take, but I have had 100% take on the onions so far and only 1 leek died.  Their CS is awesome too.  I had an order issue with the leeks they remedied extremely quickly and without giving me the run around.

The ones I pull right now are being used in salads or just eaten raw.  Mrs. Samiam loves onions but not the power of a raw onion.  She loves raw leeks though.  Onion taste but not as much as raw onion.  

I am going to be playing around with recipes.  I watch Jacques Pepin on PBS and he uses leeks a good bit.  His recipes normally turn out well, so I'll try a few of his.  A couple friends are interested in them too.  I'll be getting any recipes they rave about

Before I planted them I dug trenches in the bed.  Then I poked holes the height of the leeks and slipped them in.  Watered the holes shut and gradually closed the trenches.  The leeks in stores here only have 3 or 4 inches of subsurface growth.  Mine have a smidge more than that because of the trenching and filling.   I won't be hilling them now that the bed is flat.  I want the plants to be able to grow bigger leaves so they can get fatter quickly.  

On another note, it was almost 90 here today.  I hope this isn't going to be a record breaking summer heat wise.

Link Posted: 3/15/2016 10:59:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 12:38:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 6:32:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I suck at updating with pictures

I did a bunch of weeding last night.  Beds are all clean now.  

Garlic is 30 inches tall from the soil to the tip of the freestanding leaves.  Even taller if I straighten them out!
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 10:34:26 PM EDT
[#13]
March 19 photos

Link Posted: 4/2/2016 10:52:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Photos from today.  You can see I have a little ant problem I am working on.  I also found an new addition to the garlic patch.  Wife says she didn't throw it in.  Must be from the empty field behind us.

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 10:03:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks great.  Every year I end up with an ant hill or two in my raised beds.  In your last picture are you using diatomaceous earth to combat the ants?  I have had mixed success with it but have never actually used it in one of the raised beds.  I may have to try it this.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 6:26:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 9:46:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Looks great.  Every year I end up with an ant hill or two in my raised beds.  In your last picture are you using diatomaceous earth to combat the ants?  I have had mixed success with it but have never actually used it in one of the raised beds.  I may have to try it this.
View Quote
It's Sevin.  Ants are crazy this year.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:54:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Fire ants, rain, and the flu.  That's what has been going on since the last update.

I took my daughter out to the garden while I pulled some onions.  5 or 6 started pushing a flower.  

Good height comparison for the garlic in this picture.

And a happier pic

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 3:06:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Looking good OP. Keep them coming!
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 7:22:49 PM EDT
[#20]

5 more onions shot flowers this week.  Everything else has been doing well.  I will probably spray some daconil this week.  Is it time to pick anything yet?

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:47:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 6:33:03 PM EDT
[#22]
We had some crazy weather last night.  Tons of strong wind and a little rain.
Last weekend I put roundup on all the paths in the garden.  I think I might need to do another application after the next rain.
Leeks

Beans have started to flower.

The beans are two distinct different colors.  Blue Lake on the left.  

Garlic.

Onions

The pepper/tomato/corn/okra bed

What do you do when your corn gets blown over?  Stand it back up and hope for the best!  

My corn in pots didn't get blown over btw.  

I pulled the leeks from the bean bed before I sprayed the beans with daconil.  I gave a few to my neighbor and the rest went towards dinner.

Leeks that I kept.
Recipe from The Silver Spoon

I used 2 jars of carrots.

Final product.  I added pepper to mine (after the pic) and my wife added Old Bay to hers.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:33:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Leeks are coming out this weekend.  I noticed a bunch bolting today.  What should I replace them with?  Needs to be heat tolerant.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 4:54:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:11:22 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
It looks like you will have a whole bed to use so I would do zucchini/squash/melons if you don't have any growing already.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Leeks are coming out this weekend.  I noticed a bunch bolting today.  What should I replace them with?  Needs to be heat tolerant.

It looks like you will have a whole bed to use so I would do zucchini/squash/melons if you don't have any growing already.
My wife is saying melons too.

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:21:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Photos from today

Leeks

Beans

Onions

Garlic

Link Posted: 5/8/2016 10:26:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Leeks came out this morning.  I broke them down to whites while still in the garden.  They filled a 7.5 quart bowl (you can see it on the far edge of the bed).  I'll fully clean them this afternoon.  The bed has been cleaned and prepared for peanuts.  They'll probably go in sometime this week if not next weekend.  Mrs. Samiam was really really hoping for watermelon but I wanted something easier.  I think my hands are tied on watermelon next spring  .

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 10:45:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Friday night I picked enough beans for dinner plus 4 pint jars.  I think that's more than all the beans I got last fall.    Spraying Daconil has kept the rust at bay.  The Fortex beans have really disappointed.  The Blue Lake and the Marvel of Venice have done really well.  Marvel of Venice produced 2x what Blue Lake has so far and I don't think Fortex many (5 maybe) mature beans.  Not a ton of immature hanging either.

I ended up having time to plant the peanuts last Saturday after I posted so they're coming up now.  

Garlic has a few weeks left at best.  I pulled the dirt away from a couple and bulbs have been made, but they're not big yet.  But the tops look like they're going soon.  
Peanuts

Beans

Garlic

Onions

Don't know how this happened

Corn, okra, tomatoes, peppers

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:51:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Picked these blue lakes today.  The string part of my trellis system partially came down today.  Weight of these plus the wind =  I never thought I would get this many in a week off 10 feet of trellis.  The opposite side of the trellis (fortex and marvel of venice) had a lunch bag each full.  That was the first of the year for the fortex.  Gotta say, so far I am really happy with the blue lakes on the trellis.  

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:08:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Nice!
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:44:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:23:07 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Nice!
View Quote
Thanks.

I stumbled across 5 empty pots hiding behind the firewood.  I filled them with dirt and black kow today.  I made 6 cups with sweet picuante peppers so hopefully I'll get them transplanted here soon.  

After prepping the pots I figured out the plants grow 5 feet tall.  These are 2 gallon pots.  best of luck to them!
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:58:02 PM EDT
[#33]
I planted two types of beans last year and one of them were Fortex.  I remember being disappointed until later in the season and then they produced a ton of beans almost all at once.  To me it seemed like they were more of a determinate type of bean plant (not sure if that is really a thing or not).   The point is don't give up on them yet.

Grove
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:51:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I planted two types of beans last year and one of them were Fortex.  I remember being disappointed until later in the season and then they produced a ton of beans almost all at once.  To me it seemed like they were more of a determinate type of bean plant (not sure if that is really a thing or not).   The point is don't give up on them yet.

Grove
View Quote
I hope they do produce a bunch.  The Blue Lakes have me buried in beans (7.5 qt bowl full) this week while Fortex had maybe 20 beans again.  Very delicious beans, but the price of real estate is a little too high for 10 beans per 10 feet per week.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:59:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Bean harvest from this week

Creole and Pescadero garlic were ready to be pulled.  They're small though.

My daughter was super excited about harvesting garlic this morning, as you can see.

The other three varieties can go another week I think.

Link Posted: 5/31/2016 9:51:38 PM EDT
[#36]
All of the garlic is out since my last update.  It is hanging in the shade drying.  I am pulling onions as they fall over.  Nothing to phone home about.  I got my first harvest of okra.  I'll be making fried okra tomorrow night.

Today some strong wind and rain came through and knocked over some trees and the corn.  I stood the corn back up as best I could.  It worked last time right?  I think my soil is a little too soft for corn to hold strong.  The string part of the green bean trellis also broke again.  I'll need to figure out something better in the fall.

Link Posted: 6/4/2016 12:44:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Garlic hanging to dry in the front and onions in the back.

Link Posted: 6/6/2016 7:47:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Mrs. Samiam and I picked 10 pints of beans Friday.  We also had another round of fried okra.  I only have a couple red onions in the ground.  Candy are taking their sweet time.  

Link Posted: 6/6/2016 6:35:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Garlic scapes that I noticed a week after I had hung up the garlic to dry.  I didn't see these when I hung them.  Mrs. Samiam didn't see them either.

Scapes from the creole on the left and the two from the pescadero is on the right.

And 2 posts are set and 4 beds built.

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:16:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Too hot to do much but keep it out of the archives.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 12:29:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 9:33:52 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Yes definitely, keep it out of the archives.

Your daughter is a cutie.

I don't understand the stacked beds.  (I have very slow internet, so sometimes miss photo posts when the thread if photo heavy).

What are you doing with that?  

I like it.

I just don't understand it.

View Quote
Beds are stacked awaiting dirt.  I had the $$ set aside for dirt but part went to a swingset, part when here, part there, etc.  I just don't have the drive to move the dirt at the moment so it isn't getting put back into the budget at the moment.  

Once the dirt is ordered I will till and place the frames.

It has been too hot for much to grow.  Between 95-100 with little rain.  I water every 2-3 days and the soil dries out in between.  I knew this would happen with the raised beds, but dang.

Beans have stopped producing much because of the heat.  They are growing crazy leaves though so hopefully the fall will be bountiful.

Tomatoes are either eaten at work as a tomato sandwich or get reduced into pasta sauce and frozen.  

I have a tomato plant growing in the walking path.  Growing very well.  Showoff.

I couldn't keep the corn going, so I cut it down.  A combo of the bugs and the drought seem to have gotten to it.  I noticed the issues too late.

Peanuts are doing great in the hot and dry Alabama summer I'll be sure to point it out when Mrs. Samiam and I are eating peanuts and watching the stars this summer.

Garlic is all dried.  I made 4 braids and the rest is on a bookcase for now.  I have a standing offer for two dehydrators, so I may go that route.

Onions are all done drying too.  Delicious grilled.

Link Posted: 8/5/2016 11:56:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Out of archives territory bump
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 11:00:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 8:09:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Peanuts are doing well.  I have been slowly pulling them to see if they're ready.  I have to harvest in September.  No choice. I sold casa de Samiam.  The peanuts were actually negotiated out of the deal.  Really.   As of right now the peanuts look like they'll be too early for roasting.  But they'll be good for boiling!

This is from a week or two ago.

This is from yesterday

And that bring me to topic #2.  So I need a new garden.  I am unable to have one where I am renting.  But guess what isn't far away...  An undeveloped 40-50 acre commercial lot.  Great sun yet great screening from the road.  Vegitation in the field ranges from trees and saplings to knee high grass.  Soil is hard clay with a sprinkling of rocks.  Not good.  I'll fix a small patch of it though.  Time for some guerilla gardening

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:11:15 PM EDT
[#46]
House is sold.  I got two and a half plastic grocery bags full of peanuts.  I'll post pictures when I have good internet.  

We are working with a draftsman on drawing up a new house now.  

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 8:42:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top