BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:56:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Pyganic/Evergreen, and the other Pyrethrum products, knock the snot out of them, but it has rather short activity, and clobbers just about everything else, good and bad.
The Zeta and Beta Cypermethrins have much longer activity, as does "Eight" the Pyrrethrin based dust. The nice thing about the dust, is it washes off easily, and isn't persistent in the soil.

Just keep an eyeball peeled for aphids after use, because any of them, will wipe out most of the aphid predators for one cycle, and it will take a couple weeks for them to build back up, giving the Aphids a head start.
I would rather use a systemic, applied at dusk or night, to protect the beneficials somewhat, but that's just me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder if pyrethrim   pyrethrin   would knock them out?  So far it has worked well for soft body pests as a "contact" spray in our garden.

Pyganic/Evergreen, and the other Pyrethrum products, knock the snot out of them, but it has rather short activity, and clobbers just about everything else, good and bad.
The Zeta and Beta Cypermethrins have much longer activity, as does "Eight" the Pyrrethrin based dust. The nice thing about the dust, is it washes off easily, and isn't persistent in the soil.

Just keep an eyeball peeled for aphids after use, because any of them, will wipe out most of the aphid predators for one cycle, and it will take a couple weeks for them to build back up, giving the Aphids a head start.
I would rather use a systemic, applied at dusk or night, to protect the beneficials somewhat, but that's just me.

Thanks for jumping in, I'm still trying to sort out the use of pesticides...  Do you think that the synthetic pyrethroids can cause greater damage to pollinating insects than the tweaked naturals?

If you have a list of systemics that you like please share them and I'll do a little reading.   Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:21:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Thanks for jumping in, I'm still trying to sort out the use of pesticides...  Do you think that the synthetic pyrethroids can cause greater damage to pollinating insects than the tweaked naturals?

If you have a list of systemics that you like please share them and I'll do a little reading.   Thanks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder if pyrethrim   pyrethrin   would knock them out?  So far it has worked well for soft body pests as a "contact" spray in our garden.

I really see no difference in Pollinator toxicity, between the two.
Our Bee keeper tells me that the Bees can smell the stuff either way, and leave them alone.
Not applying to plants in bloom is a big part of it.
I DO know that the "tweaked naturals" are HOT, but suffer Hydrolosis musch faster, requiring more frequent applications.
I'd much rather make one application, and reduce the total amount of material applied.

Making applications at dusk and night, when most pollinators are home in bed, and fewer beneficials are active, reduces their exposure quite a bit.
Our Blue Orchard Bee population has remained quite constant from what I can tell, and a our parasitic wasp populations were really good the last two years.

The thing with systemics, is application after bloom. Plain old Macho 4.0, Provado, Pasada, and Admire(Imadaclorpid) applied as a targeted application once or twice a year, has resulted in no problems...and our Bee keeper gets a copy of our spray records. If there was a problem, he would let me know, as we both are looking for the truth, among all the hype and outright hysterical garbage that is out there.Recent study's from Penn State, seem to back up our observations.

Generally, ground applications will only be needed once a year after blooms are off, and foliar once a year, to target specific problems...like Jap Beetles, and worms, with the Aphids and other chewing/sucking pests, being controlled in the process.
The use a of a systemic once, can eliminate several applications of other less effective insecticides, while protecting beneficials.

I am not familiar with most of the Homeowner/Garden product names.
Bayer advanced fruit and veg. and Bonide Systemic insect control, are the Imadaclorpid products available on the Homeowner side I am aware of.

We have used the Bonide stuff, as it's a LOT easier to figure rate of application, for small areas like gardens.
Trying to measure .00034oz to the gallon is silly.

Link Posted: 10/19/2015 1:15:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Any good tips for getting rid of moles?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top