User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2015 1:31:20 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 3:19:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Glad you got it done but no pics?
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 3:32:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not done planting, but it's getting there.  I planted my flint corn yesterday and the day before and I'm done with that.  I have two small gardens and then a bunch of ~ 4 gallon pots.  This is the smaller of the two small gardens:

1) Cherry Belle radishes at the bottom.  Once these are harvested, I'm going to plant Edemame (soybean) in its place.  I love radishes, usually with a pinch of salt.  Go great with a sandwich.

2) Next is Russian Red Kale (for smoothies).

3) On the left are 102 hardneck garlic plants (7 varieties) with the end having a few rows of Walking onions, all with straw mulch.

4) On the right, with straw mulch, are copra onions and two small rows of shallots.

5) On the right at the back, after the onions and shallots, is several rows of Cascade Ruby Gold flint corn.  I have more of that planted in the other small garden as well.

6) Between the stepping stones are red cabbage plants.  This I usually eat raw after shredding it and adding some Italian salad dressing.

Ignore the small plants in front and to the left of the radishes.  Those are a variety of herbs and other things I still have to plant (broccoli, cauliflower, etc).  I like using steamer or other clam shells as markers in the garden.  That's what those white things are.  I love gardening but it does take time.  After this horrible winter, we really needed this.  I also am re-stocking my aquaponics system.  So far, I have put 6 of my 12 Channel catfish outside.  I'll be updating that thread as well.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 3:37:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 3:40:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Aside from the transplants, it's mostly just dirt right now.  Everything else is seeded.  It's supposed to rain most of this week, so things should sprout up after that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aside from the transplants, it's mostly just dirt right now.  Everything else is seeded.  It's supposed to rain most of this week, so things should sprout up after that.

You're smart to have waited.  The danger of frost is real prior to Memorial Day weekend.  I got lucky this year and it only went down to 36 F on Friday.  I only had to cover up a few pepper plants.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 3:41:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Standing by.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 3:48:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 3:54:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I will likely spin tales of woe about the critters eating everything, as usual.

I put in 36 each of broccoli and cabbage plants earlier, went to WV for two weeks. Came back and the groundhog had eaten most of them while I was gone. So, I replanted them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Standing by.

I will likely spin tales of woe about the critters eating everything, as usual.

I put in 36 each of broccoli and cabbage plants earlier, went to WV for two weeks. Came back and the groundhog had eaten most of them while I was gone. So, I replanted them.

That sucks.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 4:12:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Seems like more work than years before.

Oh well. Getting old sucks.

Last year I only planted about 1/2 of the space due to me being in WV most of the time. Got caught up on most of the work down there so I could put a little more effort into planting this year.
View Quote

Shit, I'm in Ohio as well and already pulled off a couple of jalapenos and 2 freezer bags full of lettuce and kale.
Tomatoes are slow, as can be expected.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 4:53:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice use of a tight space OP!  I will have to keep an eye on this for ideas I can steal for my small garden.  
What kind of square footage do you have in the bed?
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 2:26:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Last year I only planted about 1/2 of the space due to me being in WV most of the time. Got caught up on most of the work down there so I could put a little more effort into planting this year.
View Quote

Ain't that the truth.

All that bending over is really starting to get to me (54).  Raised beds are looking better every year.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:29:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Ain't that the truth.

All that bending over is really starting to get to me (54).  Raised beds are looking better every year.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ain't that the truth.

Just wait until you pee your pants when you sneeze, everything prior seems meh
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:27:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ain't that the truth.

Bending over at 60 is easy........ Straightening up is a beotch. Aleve PM is my friend along with a vibrating recliner with heat.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:21:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Ain't that the truth.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ain't that the truth.

Speaking as someone who is also getting older - raised beds are AWESOME!!!  The first time I planted my new 30 inch high beds after getting used to the 6inch high ones I used to have the difference was night and day.  Filling the tall ones is a pain, but once it's done, it's done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top