Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2015 2:23:31 PM EDT
I'm putting in a garden again this year, last year was dismal.  I've got 7 rows 3' wide 45' long for vegetables.

Is there any advantage to running a perforated garden watering hose as opposed to sprinklers which throw water?

There is a lot of contradictory information on the webz, so any one who's tried both and noticed a benefit to one or the other, please chime in.

Thanks

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:08:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't use soaker hose, but I do use drip line.  I used to use sprinklers years ago, but I would always combat some form of disease towards the end of the season.  With drip line the only time I worry about getting disease is if it rains too much.  There is really nothing I can do about that though.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 6:55:19 PM EDT
[#2]
We use a soaker hose. Some plants have really large leaves and can end up covering so much of the dirt that the sprinkler coverage is really uneven. Other plants have blossoms that can be damaged by water.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:01:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Anytime you get your plants wet you open the door for infection, especially molds and funguses.  In the past I have had some issues with diseases but last year I built a drip irrigation system, that included a soaker line for a couple rows of peas, and I had virtually no issues at all.  And it was super easy to do the watering with a timer running the system.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:00:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Soaker hoses here. Get a timer so you don't forget and leave the water on one row on all night long. Don't ask me how I know this to be true.

Drips are fine if you plan on using the same spacing every year.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:25:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for the replies, soaker hose it is, the configuration of the garden is subject to change each year so I can change it better with soakers.

Another question, since I have approximately 220' of plants, would it be better to run three separate 75' lines?  I see that some sites say that their soaker hose shouldn't exceed 100' feet.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:53:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 7:43:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Depends how how much pressure your water system can deliver to the hose. Miracle Gro now has a 100' hose kit that has fittings to make 4 hoses of any length. With 100' of main hose from the house my 80' soaker lines barely get enough water to the end of the hose. Other than that I'd get 50'ers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top