Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2015 1:30:49 PM EDT
I live in southern Missouri, zone 6. My soil is a very hard rocky clay, and doesn't drain well. I am looking to plant something to attract humming birds that is as close as possible to maintenance free as i can get. I will not be around to care for the plantings  from mid June to early October. I plan on doing the plantings next year, not this year so that the plants can get established before i leave. I was thinking of butterfly bush's, be need some opinions on what else i could plant?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:59:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:56:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Anything that flowers will attract them. Rose of Sharon is pretty hard to kill.  

My wife has a colored glass wind chime gizmo on my cabin porch that they come and check out all the time, so I don't think they're all that smart anyway.

I have to ask why you'd bother if you're not going to be there when the hummingbirds are though.

View Quote

My wife is an animal lover to the extreme Just need something that God will look after when we are not around.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:05:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:28:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Plant some honeysuckle,or tiger lillies, but just about any wild flowers will attract them
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:04:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Since you are in Missouri (I am too), I suggest going with Missouri Natives.   They are very tough plants and require less maintenance.   Their roots penetrate through rocky soils better than a lot of nursery plants.  I got into planting natives last year, and chose the Glade Plants in the link below.    They also have a section for hummingbirds.   I planted the "Shining Blue Star" and "Indian Pink" this year, but they are very small, and haven't flowered yet.

http://www.mowildflowers.net/plant-groupings-for-habitats-and-wildlife.html

Happy Planting!
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:57:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Just fill and hang a few hummingbird feeders around your home and they will be fighting over the treats!  Lots of them!  No flowers needed.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 10:59:50 AM EDT
[#7]
We're in hardiness zone 7.  As mentioned above, Bee Balm is favored by humming birds and it's a perennial in zone 7.   We're also trying cypress vine this year which is beautiful.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 10:59:50 AM EDT
[#8]
double tap
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top