Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2015 12:28:06 AM EDT
My garden soil needs a little help.  Yields were low last year.  I want to add some compost.  How much compost should I add?  Is 2" or 3" too much?  I will be growing mostly tomatoes.   Is mushroom compost the good stuff?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:56:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Compost is always a pretty safe bet, but you may want to consider a soil test just to see where you stand and make sure you're not missing some critical nutrient or have a wacky pH or something.  2-3" is not too much, but it wouldn't hurt to incorporate it into the soil if possible instead of just dumping it on top.

Never used it myself, but mushroom compost is supposed to be good stuff. I wouldn't hesitate in using it.  Again, though, you may want to at least check the pH of your soil... the soil can be chock full of delicious nutrients, but if the pH is off too far the plants can't get to them.  Most garden stuff (excluding acid-loving blueberries and such) want a pH between 6 and 7.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:07:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:23:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Compost is great and it's generally hard to add too much.

That said, many composts have a lot of shall we say, city sewer solids as a major component. If composted correctly, they are fine but can have a bit of salts. As long as your ground is pretty loamy, the salts won't accumulate with proper watering.

Also, if you use a lot of compost year after year, watch the potassium levels as they tend to climb and can become toxic to plants. It's wise to test with a home kit as a minimum. It's cheap and easy to do.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:27:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top