Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2015 8:41:44 PM EDT
Purchased this "Bonnie" Habanero seedling from Lowes about 3 weeks ago. Weather has been very cool, and rainy. Raised bed with excellent drainage. Plant fertilized with Osmocote granules and an occasional watering with Bonnie liquid fertilizer (half-strength).

SYMPTOMS:

Dwarfed, compact stem growth with very small internodal spacing

Leaves point up at a 45 degree angle

Leaves esp. lower, older leaves have severe upward curling.

Sunny spring weather finally broke yesterday and this afternoon I spread a couple of tsp of Epsom Salts around the base and gave it a light watering. No signs of pests on leaves or stems.

Anyone?

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 9:40:54 PM EDT
[#1]
my niece grows plants to sell and they say pepper plants grow pretty slow

may need more heat to get it going

my jalapenos are growing slow too and I live in a warm climate
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 10:38:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Stop using fertilizer.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 10:58:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Too much fertilizer, and likely you're overwatering it as well. Next decide what shape you want it to be and trim accordingly. Cut the larger bottom leaves for a more tree like shape, remove the top split for a medium sized plant, and trim around 1" down to create outward growth. I normally don't move my peppers outside until almost may. Cold nights are rough on the plants.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 9:06:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Too much fertilizer, and likely you're overwatering it as well. Next decide what shape you want it to be and trim accordingly. Cut the larger bottom leaves for a more tree like shape, remove the top split for a medium sized plant, and trim around 1" down to create outward growth. I normally don't move my peppers outside until almost may. Cold nights are rough on the plants.
View Quote

April's weather here in SC has been unusually cool and, like much of the eastern US, very rainy. The vegetable/flower plant wholesalers (Bonnie) still ship to Lowe's, Wally World, etc. regardless. Unfortunately I don't have a south-facing window or other means to grow or maintain starts/seedlings indoors. When I planted this Hab we had gotten a break in the weather but the cold rainy stuff came back for several weeks.

We are finally getting a sunny spell and I am not going to water the garden unless individual plants need it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:14:28 AM EDT
[#5]
If it helps, think of Hot peppers as the kinky BDSM types of the plant world.  The more you abuse them the more they like it.  No water-poor soil, heat and wind = mucho peppers.  hth  
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:40:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks like it may be a little too chilly for 'em. Not to hijack, but my red bell-pepper plant seems to have a weak main stalk, maybe I bought it that way or my g/f bent it while planting it. Is it a lost cause, or will it heal up enough to support the peppers when they bloom? I'm kinda pissed because I was looking forward to some peppers with my steaks this summer.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 2:42:21 PM EDT
[#7]
It might be beet top curly virus.  I hope for your sake its not.  It typically hits tomatoes around here but I've had it take down peppers as well.  Within a week or so you should know for sure if the leaves keep curling. If it is the virus, the plant is already dead it just doesn't know it yet.  

The other posters are right though, stop over watering those damn peppers either way.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:02:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:It might be beet top curly virus.  I hope for your sake its not.  It typically hits tomatoes around here but I've had it take down peppers as well.  Within a week or so you should know for sure if the leaves keep curling. If it is the virus, the plant is already dead it just doesn't know it yet.  

The other posters are right though, stop over watering those damn peppers either way.
View Quote

Talk to mother nature about the watering thing.

The offending plant has been moved to another part of the yard
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 5:25:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I've removed the curled lower leaves from the plant and have sprayed it with Safer insecticidal soap. It's gained some height and a bit of bulk now that sunny warm weather has returned to the area but because of the plant's overall stunted growth I probably won't top or prune it.

Two other habanero plants as well as a big bertha bell have been topped and are showing thick branching growth after two weeks. Awesome.

But the seedlings I bought at a plant show nearly a month ago (Ghost, Fatalli, Caribbean Red Hab, Peter Pepper) are continuing to show slow growth, poor root development (discovered this during transplanting to larger containers), and are not tolerant of being put out in the sun for very long. One of the Ghost Pepper plants got scalded lower leaves. I think the root problem is related to being overwatered. Now growing in much larger containers hopefully this problem with take care of itself. I'll leave them in indirect light for a few more weeks.

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:49:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Could it be thrips? Really small and can be hard to find. Usually by the time the plant shows symptoms, the bug has already gone through a life cycle and you might see eggs laid somewhere.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:30:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Have you or your neighbors used Weed Begone? Peppers are very sensitive to herbicides. The damage you describe sounds like 2-4-D.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:49:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Have you or your neighbors used Weed Begone? Peppers are very sensitive to herbicides. The damage you describe sounds like 2-4-D.
View Quote

It's possible but even if they did their property lines are way far away. The sick plant in question was growing in a garden inhabited by other pepper plants as well as tomatoes, herbs, lettuces, eggplants, and marigolds. None of these other plants have this problem.

However, the yard landscaping guy probably did use Roundup here and there for spot treatment. I just sent him a voice mail requesting he not use it in our yard unless he confers with me so I appreciate the info.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 7:53:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Topping pepper plants WORKS! Wow! Now that summer is here full bore the new stem growth is taking off like a freakin' rocket!
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 8:06:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Topping pepper plants WORKS! Wow! Now that summer is here full bore the new stem growth is taking off like a freakin' rocket!
View Quote

You pruned the top off? Never seen that done.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 2:31:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I1BtTNIIcY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c11DWAU_o14

I've always done with with basil plants but finally got up the courage to do it with two Habanero plants.

You can also just snip the tiny growing tips on the top of the plant vs. chop off the upper "V".
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 8:39:21 PM EDT
[#16]
My sickly Habanero plant has pulled out of its funk, has developed healthy new foilage, and today I discovered two pods on it one of which is nearly full size. That's pretty unusual for a plant that's only 12" tall.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 9:04:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Stop using fertilizer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Stop using fertilizer.

Yup, words of wisdom from our dear sister down in east texas

Quoted:
About peppers... they are co-dependent women, so to speak.  You need to treat them right when you meet them, and then abuse them.  

When you plant them, add a handful of matches under the rootball.  Add in a bone, or handful of oyster shell to boot.   Put a Tspn of fertilizer.  Cover this treasure with 1-2" of soil.

Never fertilize them again.

When you pick the peppers, don't worry about occasionally snapping a branch.  Don't do enough damage to cause them to die, or call the cops, but, don't be gentle.

They are not tomatoes, they are not shrinking violets.

Peppers only produce fruit when they are worried about survival.  Make them happy and you get nothing.  Rough them up and well...see line 1.

TRG

Link Posted: 6/3/2015 2:52:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stop using fertilizer.

Quoted:
About peppers... they are co-dependent women, so to speak.  You need to treat them right when you meet them, and then abuse them.  

When you plant them, add a handful of matches under the rootball.  Add in a bone, or handful of oyster shell to boot.   Put a Tspn of fertilizer.  Cover this treasure with 1-2" of soil.

Never fertilize them again.

When you pick the peppers, don't worry about occasionally snapping a branch.  Don't do enough damage to cause them to die, or call the cops, but, don't be gentle.

They are not tomatoes, they are not shrinking violets.

Peppers only produce fruit when they are worried about survival.  Make them happy and you get nothing.  Rough them up and well...see line 1.

TRG

I heard about the matches (sulfur) from the Pepper Joe's site. As for the bone (calcium) I use crushed eggshells.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 10:46:09 PM EDT
[#19]

OP, can you get some pictures up at some point?  That's always a crowd-pleaser.  I have one Habanero, Caribbean Red and Ghost, and then about 10 Jalapeno peppers.  It's going to be a while before any fruiting though.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 5:13:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

OP, can you get some pictures up at some point?  That's always a crowd-pleaser.  I have one Habanero, Caribbean Red and Ghost, and then about 10 Jalapeno peppers.  It's going to be a while before any fruiting though.
View Quote

I had a couple photos posted in the OP but took them down when the growth problem went away. Will try to find them.

Link Posted: 6/6/2015 7:42:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I had a couple photos posted in the OP but took them down when the growth problem went away. Will try to find them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool.  It always helps as a reference when doing searches.  I had a terrible bacterial infection in several varieties of pepper plants last year.  I could have sworn
it was Verticillium Wilt, but I sent off some leaves and an entire plant to the extension office at the University of New Hampshire and they identified it as a relatively
common bacterial infection affecting pepper plants.  This year I've cut way back on the number of pepper plants but I do have a single Habanero, Caribbean Red and
Ghost pepper plants, as well as about 10 Jalapeno plants.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 5:13:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Formerly "sick" Habanero plant is doing extremely well and is full of very nice looking chile pods. Looking for them to start turning orange any time now.

Harvested my first ripe Habs from another plant in the garden. they're grotesquely twisted, wrinkly, and have that almost-fake fluorescent green-to-orange glow. And...THEY'RE HOT!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 10:08:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Picked a few peppers this morning

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 10:35:47 AM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

That's a good looking table that's full of hurt, congrats!

PM your address and we'll get a bottle of Tums to you.  

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 4:35:03 PM EDT
[#25]
OK, finally harvested the first chiles from the "sick" plant that had been exiled from the garden to survive or die. Survive, it has and this plant is doing extremely well.

I'm gonna call them "WEIRDO PEPPERS". All sorts of grotesque shapes. The pod on the upper left is HUGE...looks like it has a tumor

(.38 spl. round shown for scale):

MUHUHUHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:43:30 PM EDT
[#26]
So, what's the difference between a Bonnie hab and a scotch bonnet?
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:47:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So, what's the difference between a Bonnie hab and a scotch bonnet?
View Quote

Bonnie as in "Bonnie Plants", the company that sells vegetable seedlings to garden centers and big box hardware stores.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:43:01 PM EDT
[#28]
If you Can't Grow Habs perhaps pick another hobby hunting maybe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top