Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2015 9:26:24 PM EDT
I have some flint corn that looks like this:

I am rotating plants in my garden and this year I have a decent amount of space to put in some corn.  I was thinking of trying to grow as much
flint corn as possible and making hominy for tamales (there is a reason I'm doing this but not important for now).

I'm not too concerned about adding lime and the processing part.  I think I can get that down.

Is the above corn the best to use or should I buy something else?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 11:42:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:29:14 PM EDT
[#2]
My wife uses Carol Deppe's "Cascade Ruby Gold" flint corn.  It is a short season corn that can be planted in cool temperatures, pollinates early enough that it doesn't cross with GM corn from nearby farms, is drought-resistant, and grows well with average soil fertility/organic conditions.  I have no idea if it's better than what you already have, but she's very happy with it.  It works well in in breads & polenta.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:12:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My wife uses Carol Deppe's "Cascade Ruby Gold" flint corn.  It is a short season corn that can be planted in cool temperatures, pollinates early enough that it doesn't cross with GM corn from nearby farms, is drought-resistant, and grows well with average soil fertility/organic conditions.  I have no idea if it's better than what you already have, but she's very happy with it.  It works well in in breads & polenta.
View Quote

That looks good.  I have time to order some so I think I'm going with that.  I don't have to worry about cross-pollination as there really aren't any cornfields nearby.  Thank you for the heads up!

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 6:40:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That looks good.  I have time to order some so I think I'm going with that.  I don't have to worry about cross-pollination as there really aren't any cornfields nearby.  Thank you for the heads up!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No problem - it's been one of her projects for the past two or three years (growing it, cooking with it, & saving seeds) and she's very happy with it.  I dutifully till, weed, keep the critters out, and, of course, eat.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:30:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

No problem - it's been one of her projects for the past two or three years (growing it, cooking with it, & saving seeds) and she's very happy with it.  I dutifully till, weed, keep the critters out, and, of course, eat.  Good luck!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One more question:  Since I'm getting this exact variety, how far apart do you have between plants and between rows?

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:08:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

One more question:  Since I'm getting this exact variety, how far apart do you have between plants and between rows?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We space the plants 12" apart.  We do three rows, 22" apart (because that's what fits in our 44" beds), leave a 44" walkway, do three more rows, etc.  We do at least three beds/nine rows so the corn will be in a block, rather than one or two really long rows, for good pollination.  44" is the length of our hoe handle, so that's where we came up with our default row & path width.  

We plant two seeds per hole and go back through and thin them.  My wife said nearly all of the seed she saved germinated last year, so she had to go through and snip off nearly half her plants.  Kind of heart-breaking, but it's a way to select the stronger plants, and the space between them leads to a better yield.  

I get my instructions form the Mrs., and she gets a lot of her corn-growing & harvesting guidance from Carol Deppe's "The Resilient Gardener".  (She's looking over my shoulder right now and pointed out that she thinks "it's an amazing book".)
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:06:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

We space the plants 12" apart.  We do three rows, 22" apart (because that's what fits in our 44" beds), leave a 44" walkway, do three more rows, etc.  We do at least three beds/nine rows so the corn will be in a block, rather than one or two really long rows, for good pollination.  44" is the length of our hoe handle, so that's where we came up with our default row & path width.  

We plant two seeds per hole and go back through and thin them.  My wife said nearly all of the seed she saved germinated last year, so she had to go through and snip off nearly half her plants.  Kind of heart-breaking, but it's a way to select the stronger plants, and the space between them leads to a better yield.  

I get my instructions form the Mrs., and she gets a lot of her corn-growing & harvesting guidance from Carol Deppe's "The Resilient Gardener".  (She's looking over my shoulder right now and pointed out that she thinks "it's an amazing book".)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I may get the book as it sounds good (also read about it elsewhere).  The website I ordered the seeds from from said 18".  I thought that was way too much. 12" sounds much better.  Thanks again!

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:10:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 10:58:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been preparing the beds for the corn.  I will be growing them in two spots, but both will be the same Cascade Ruby Gold. . . hopefully.  I haven't received it yet but it's coming from the West coast so I'm not worried.  It would be good to plant this weekend so hopefully it will come by then.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 6:02:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Ours is officially up as of yesterday. Pretty early for us. Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 10:49:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

The seeds were shipped from Adaptive Seeds by USPS with tracking on 05/05/2015 but there is no update yet beyond that date.  I'm wondering if it got lost somewhere since 11 days is a big long, even from the West Coast?

I went ahead and placed another order with Seed Wise.  This will ensure that the order from Adaptive Seeds arrives on Monday.

I have the beds ready to go, I just need the seeds.  I definitely want it in the ground before Memorial Day.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 7:28:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The seeds were shipped from Adaptive Seeds by USPS with tracking on 05/05/2015 but there is no update yet beyond that date.  I'm wondering if it got lost somewhere since 11 days is a big long, even from the West Coast?

I went ahead and placed another order with Seed Wise.  This will ensure that the order from Adaptive Seeds arrives on Monday.

I have the beds ready to go, I just need the seeds.  I definitely want it in the ground before Memorial Day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, most shipping services should get them to you in no more than four or five days.  Sounds like you have it covered, but if for some reason you find yourself in a pinch, my wife said she can send you some.  The seed she planted this year is some she saved in 2012, it all came up, and she still has some newer seed.  The frost we had last week didn't touch the plants, so hopefully we're good to go for the season.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 9:41:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yeah, most shipping services should get them to you in no more than four or five days.  Sounds like you have it covered, but if for some reason you find yourself in a pinch, my wife said she can send you some.  The seed she planted this year is some she saved in 2012, it all came up, and she still has some newer seed.  The frost we had last week didn't touch the plants, so hopefully we're good to go for the season.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for the offer.  Hopefully this second order from a different company will come in.  I really would like to have it planted this weekend, but I know I could go later if I had to.

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:02:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Update 05/20/2015:

Seeds are in!  They arrived yesterday on 05/19/15, exactly 2 weeks after they were shipped.  I have no idea why it took so long.  I will likely put them in the ground tomorrow after work or Friday AM (I took the day off).  I will get pictures up when I plant them.  I still have the second seeds on order.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:02:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Update 05/20/2015:

Seeds are in!  They arrived yesterday on 05/19/15, exactly 2 weeks after they were shipped.  I have no idea why it took so long.  I will likely put them in the ground tomorrow after work or Friday AM (I took the day off).  I will get pictures up when I plant them.  I still have the second seeds on order.
View Quote

Awesome.  It's supposed to get down to 34 degrees here on Friday, but hopefully that's the last risk of frost and it's smooth sailing from here on out.  You should be in perfect shape.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:49:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Awesome.  It's supposed to get down to 34 degrees here on Friday, but hopefully that's the last risk of frost and it's smooth sailing from here on out.  You should be in perfect shape.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update 05/20/2015:

Yeah, it's going down to 39 here tonight and 37 Friday, but then warmer nights from then on.  I have some aged chicken manure that I'm going to spread as my last preparation.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:45:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Brief update:  05/23/15 One section planted

I'll get some pictures up soon.  I have two small areas I am going to plant and one was done today (05/23/15).  I went with 20" spacing between 6 rows, and 4 foot long rows.  I realize this is tiny, but it's what I've got.  I planted every 6" but I will thin to 12".  

I have another section that is 8' X 8' that I will plant 2 seeds 12" apart and then do like weaver791 does and remove the weaker looking seedling to keep spacing at 12" between plants.  Yes, it's hard to thin out seedlings when they both look good!

Thank you weaver791 for the recommendation.  I will keep this thread going until harvest, possibly even until I make tamales.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:53:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Brief Update:  05/24/15

I planted the second garden.  I planted 2 seeds every 12" for a total of 8 feet or 8 plants X 5 rows that are 20" apart so a total of 40 plants.  I put 2 seeds about 1" apart and will thin it out to 1 plant every 12".  

The other section planted yesterday was 4 plants X 6 rows = 24 plants.  Those I planted a seed every 6" and will thin out to every 12" and also the rows are 20" apart.

So I should have a total of 64 plants if all goes well.  I will get some pictures up.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:03:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Our corn had come up and was doing well, then the frost last week seemed to have killed most of it off.  Last night I went out to have another look and found that there is green coming up out of the stems.  Close call, but it looks like we won't have to re-plant.  Close call.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:09:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Our corn had come up and was doing well, then the frost last week seemed to have killed most of it off.  Last night I went out to have another look and found that there is green coming up out of the stems.  Close call, but it looks like we won't have to re-plant.  Close call.
View Quote

I would think corn is pretty resilient, not like radishes or garlic, but better than peppers and okra.  

I have many that are 1/8" to 1/4" tall at this point.  I attribute that to plenty of watering, good soil, and warm weather.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 11:56:42 PM EDT
[#21]

I received my 2nd order of seeds on Saturday.  In it was a note apologizing for the delay.  Apparently they put insufficient postage and the package was returned to them.  I didn't really need it since I already had enough seeds, but I will add it to my stash.

I'll get some pictures up soon.  I have to start thinning out the corn.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 10:40:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Update 06/09/2015  Corn up!

I have some pictures of my Cascade Ruby Gold flint corn.  I'm pleased with it so far.  I still have to thin it out to 12" apart.  I ended up putting the rows 20" apart.  

I have an "upper garden" that is a raised bed on weathered railroad ties (I bought the house like this).  This is a wide view of the upper garden with the corn in the back right portion.  There is an earlier picture of this garden in my garlic thread, but in this one below I've harvested my Cherry Belle radishes.  I was going to plant my edemame (soybean) in this section now that the radishes are gone, but the edemame in pots have done so poorly that I may simply transplant the corn I'm planning to thin out from the back section.  More corn is not a bad thing if I am going to make masa and hominy out of it.

Close-up:

Even more close up.  Like I wrote, this still needs to be thinned out to every 12" as per weaver791's recommendations.

This is my "lower garden".  The corn is planted every 12" and 20" between rows, but there are two corn plants each 12" so I will thin these out as well.

Wider view:

Just the corn:

Close-up:

I'll keep this updated.  I have chickens, so if worse comes to worst I can always feed it to them if I don't end up doing anything with it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't know how I missed this thread!

I'm currently growing a painted mountain corn variety that I'm trying to adapt to work well in MN. So far so good but the squirrels got a lot of it last year. So far the wife has made some corn bread and I'm made corn tortillas in the couple years we've grown it.

Since corn has some pretty severe inbreeding depression issues and I don't have a ton of space to grow it (and I save all my own seed), I'm planting a little more densely...8" between plants (thinned) and 14-16" between rows. This corn is supposed to do well when it doesnt have a lot of space or nutrition or even water.

This year I'm growing about 110 plants and some of them are almost knee high already. They are in two areas separated by about 40 feet but I should still get some pretty good cross pollination. I plant early so I don't have cross pollination issues with other gardeners in the neighborhood with other varieties.

Semi funny story: Last year I was talking to my neighbor 2 doors down who grows a nice plot of some kind of corn and she said a lot of her yellow corn had red and purple flecks and streaks in it so she threw it all out thinking it was somehow bad. I told her about what I was growing and my suspicion that some of my pollen got onto her corn. This year we coordinated so I planted pretty early and almost all of it came up, even through some low 30's nights in May. The neighbor isn't planting until next week so hopefully hers comes out better LOL.

Anyway, if something happens to this variety I'll look into what you guys are growing. I still owe some pics in the garlic thread so maybe I can get a get a few in this thread as well.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 7:13:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Semi funny story: Last year I was talking to my neighbor 2 doors down who grows a nice plot of some kind of corn and she said a lot of her yellow corn had red and purple flecks and streaks in it so she threw it all out thinking it was somehow bad. I told her about what I was growing and my suspicion that some of my pollen got onto her corn. This year we coordinated so I planted pretty early and almost all of it came up, even through some low 30's nights in May. The neighbor isn't planting until next week so hopefully hers comes out better LOL.

Anyway, if something happens to this variety I'll look into what you guys are growing. I still owe some pics in the garlic thread so maybe I can get a get a few in this thread as well.
View Quote

Reminds me of the commercial, "Hey, you got some of your chocolate in my peanut butter!"
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 10:21:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Hey, that looks awesome.  I bet it's grown a few inches since you posted the pictures.  The rain has been a big help.  

Some of our plants got nipped a lot harder than others, so the stalks are all different sizes.  I'm curious to see how that affects when they start to fruit - whether the bigger stalks will go a lot earlier or they all go pretty much at the same time based on the germination date.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 11:07:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Hey, that looks awesome. I bet it's grown a few inches since you posted the pictures. The rain has been a big help.  

Some of our plants got nipped a lot harder than others, so the stalks are all different sizes.  I'm curious to see how that affects when they start to fruit - whether the bigger stalks will go a lot earlier or they all go pretty much at the same time based on the germination date.
View Quote

And even more so since you posted this.  

They're looking solid.  I'll get pics up.  Instead of trashing the plants that I thinned out, I ended up transplanting to where my radishes were harvested.  I ended up with 12 plants that I transplanted.  They are not crowded and they're looking good.  I did have yellow leaf tips on a couple of the lower leaves, so I his them with Miracle Grow in case it was simply a nutritional issue.  It looks like that may be it.  I'll know for sure in a week or so.  Potassium deficiency apparently can cause that and Miracle Grow has it.  Anyway, I'll get some pictures up.  If we have good weather hold out for the rest of the summer, it should be good.  I may start trapping raccoons soon as I know they like corn and I want to be pre-emptive about it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:59:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Update 07/07/2015:  Corn still growing

Where you see the corn growing here I had radishes planted right after the snow melted.  I've harvested the radishes and then transplanted a dozen corn plants that
were being thinned out from the other areas I planted corn.  So these would have been thrown out but instead I planted them here.

Long view of "upper" garden:

Corn in the lower garden.  This is all Cascade Ruby Gold flint corn recommended by
weaver791.

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:07:33 PM EDT
[#28]

I fertilized the whole garden yesterday including the corn.  I don't want that to be the limiting factor in growth, and it has to be done now before flowering has started.

I'm feeling pretty good about this, but I've never grown this variety before.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 5:35:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Looking good so far!  Ours is all over the map as far as size goes.  Some wasn't touched at all by the frost and has ears forming, and some was nipped pretty hard and was overtaken by weeds.  (We've had a busy summer.)  We'll see how well it pollenates & whether there the are enough tassles out early on to do the job.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 10:16:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Looking good so far!  Ours is all over the map as far as size goes.  Some wasn't touched at all by the frost and has ears forming, and some was nipped pretty hard and was overtaken by weeds.  (We've had a busy summer.)  We'll see how well it pollenates & whether there the are enough tassles out early on to do the job.
View Quote

Sorry, I completely missed this.  

How tall does the Cascade Ruby Golf variety get?  I'll get some more pics up soon.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:17:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Our tallest is about 6-1/2 feet tall right now, which seems about the same as last year if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Our tallest is about 6-1/2 feet tall right now, which seems about the same as last year if I remember correctly.
View Quote

I think my tallest is over 5'.  I'll double check.  I'll get some more pictures soon.

Link Posted: 8/8/2015 11:57:39 PM EDT
[#33]

Update:  08/08/2015 Corn growing well, flowering and corn cobs!

The following pictures were taken the day I harvested my garlic, so on or about 07/15/2015:

These pictures were taken with a few days of each other this week.  I was down visiting relative late last week and weekend in east Tennessee and the corn grew a lot while I was gone!

Some of the plants are almost 8 feet tall.

It's looking good.  I'm not sure how much of a problem raccoons are with flint corn (this is all Cascade Ruby Gold flint corn as noted earlier).  I may start putting out traps soon.  I would hate to lose any of this corn to raccoons.  As you can see, I did have to stake a few of the corn plants.  Not a big deal.  I know you're supposed to "side dress" the rows with a high nitrogen fertilizer when the plants are about knee-high and I used Ammonium Sulphate, and I applied it a couple of times.  I really don't think fertilizer should be an issue but they probably could have used more water, though I did try to water them as much as I could and we got decent rain.  I used 10-10-10 early in the season at planting time and I did water with some Miracle Grow as well.  

I'll keep updating.

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 11:27:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Looking good - looks like the ears are starting to fill out well.  I see some squash thriving in there also.  I've been away from our for two weeks, so yeah, I'm concerned about raccoons too. I've found bare cobs in the pasture next to the garden, but I think they were from our sweet corn. (We vary the locations and planting dates to avoid cross-pollination.)  My neighbor has tastier stuff in his garden right now and the coons have been getting into it, so he has been doing a lot of trapping.  Hopefully that will keep the worst offenders away from my place. Worst case, I'll put the electric fence out.  That usually does the trick.  Nice job so far!
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 11:53:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Looking good - looks like the ears are starting to fill out well.  I see some squash thriving in there also.  I've been away from our for two weeks, so yeah, I'm concerned about raccoons too. I've found bare cobs in the pasture next to the garden, but I think they were from our sweet corn. (We vary the locations and planting dates to avoid cross-pollination.)  My neighbor has tastier stuff in his garden right now and the coons have been getting into it, so he has been doing a lot of trapping.  Hopefully that will keep the worst offenders away from my place. Worst case, I'll put the electric fence out.  That usually does the trick.  Nice job so far!
View Quote

Thank you.  The squash is vegetable marrow.  As you may know already, it's popular in Britain/Europe.  My parents are from Hungary and my mother makes a dish with it where the squash is shredded and then cooked with dill, flour, etc.  It's very good.  I didn't even plant it and, if it is in fact vegetable marrow, it's from last year's plants which were planted in the same area.  The damn thing is growing like crazy.  It came out from underneath one of the stepping stones.  It figures that the plants you neglect the most grow the best.  This thing is growing far better than the squash plants I nurtured last year.  It has a few small squashes already and the corn is tall enough not to be bothered by it too much so I left the vegetable marrow squash in place.  It is overtaking some Yellow Beans but I'm willing to sacrifice a few of those plants.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 7:59:01 PM EDT
[#36]
it's from last year's plants which were planted in the same area.  
View Quote

Nothing like getting free volunteer plants!  Sometimes they make a garden look eclectic, but that's half the fun.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:30:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Nothing like getting free volunteer plants!  Sometimes they make a garden look eclectic, but that's half the fun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
it's from last year's plants which were planted in the same area.  

I may be wrong about the type of squash.  I swear I grew Vegetable Marrow there last year, but I'm looking at the shape of the squash and I'm wondering if in fact this is Acorn Squash.  That usually doesn't run like this one is doing in my humble experience.  I'll keep an eye on it and we'll know when it gets bigger.  The squash is about the side of a tennis ball.  I definitely like the look of it between the corn.

Speaking of the corn . . . We had a freak wind and rain storm yesterday and it knocked down many of the corn stalks.  I staked them up yesterday and today and hopefully I don't lose too many plants.  Ah, the trials and tribulations of gardening.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 7:54:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Corn is looking good.  The husks are getting bigger.  Staking saved all but one plant.  Now I'm waiting for the corn to grow out and eventually dry.  We have had good weather overall.

It turns out the squash plant is Acorn Squash.  Looking very good as well.

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 9:15:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Only a few short weeks to harvest time!
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 11:56:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Only a few short weeks to harvest time!
View Quote

What I like about it is it's much simpler to time the harvest than for sweet corn.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:58:07 PM EDT
[#41]
The Missus picked 70 ears today.  She's pretty happy with what she's seeing so far.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:35:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The Missus picked 70 ears today.  She's pretty happy with what she's seeing so far.
View Quote

We're they all dry?  That's a great harvest!  Some of my plants were damaged yesterday since the south-facing roof had to be replaced.  I don't think I lost too much, but the plants need to dry more.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:57:48 PM EDT
[#43]
The husks were mostly dry and had turned brown.  She got them husked right away & laid the ears out, because it's so humid here and she doesn't want them to have a chance to mold.

The coons got into the sweet corn the night before last, so yesterday I put up the electric fence.  That seems to have done the trick.  I just hope they don't go after the flint corn instead.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 9:52:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The husks were mostly dry and had turned brown.  She got them husked right away & laid the ears out, because it's so humid here and she doesn't want them to have a chance to mold.

The coons got into the sweet corn the night before last, so yesterday I put up the electric fence.  That seems to have done the trick.  I just hope they don't go after the flint corn instead.
View Quote

Here's some pictures of the harvest so far.  I started picking about 2 weeks ago so right around 09/01/2015.  Lots of variety in color as expected.  I'll get a picture of the entire harvest up as soon as I have harvested all the ears.  It did reasonably well.  I don't have as much sun as I'd like but I would have to cut down a bunch of trees.  Again, this is all Cascade Ruby Gold flint corn.

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:05:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Here's some pictures of the harvest so far.  I started picking about 2 weeks ago so right around 09/01/2015.  Lots of variety in color as expected.  I'll get a picture of the entire harvest up as soon as I have harvested all the ears.  It did reasonably well.  I don't have as much sun as I'd like but I would have to cut down a bunch of trees.  Again, this is all Cascade Ruby Gold flint corn.

http://i.imgur.com/ZfeG2QH.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congratulations!  Each color is supposed to taste different, and we keep them separate for storage & eating.  I'm thinking some corn bread is in order soon.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:54:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Congratulations!  Each color is supposed to taste different, and we keep them separate for storage & eating.  I'm thinking some corn bread is in order soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.  How do you grind up your corn for corn bread and do you have a recipe you use?  My original plan was to make hominy out of this and possibly tamales.  I have no idea how much I'll end up with to do that though.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:25:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Thank you.  How do you grind up your corn for corn bread and do you have a recipe you use?  My original plan was to make hominy out of this and possibly tamales.  I have no idea how much I'll end up with to do that though.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry for the wait - I had to get a copy of the recipe from my wife and got sidetracked.  Apparently there are lots of steps. I wouldn't know, I just come help eat it.  We half the batch, and it still makes a pretty good sized bread, enough to fill a 10" cast iron skillet.  It's gluten-free, but you wouldn't notice because it's pretty similar to regular cornbread. It's especially good, of course, loaded up with butter and honey or strawberry-rhubarb jam.

We use a WonderMill.  It produces nice fine flour.  My wife is considering hand-grinding some to add to the next batch to make it a little coarser, but I'm good with it being fine.  

If you will send me an email I will respond with scans of the recipe attached.  (I was going to email you directly but didn't see where Arfcom would let me attach a file.)
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 12:00:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Sorry for the wait - I had to get a copy of the recipe from my wife and got sidetracked.  Apparently there are lots of steps. I wouldn't know, I just come help eat it.  We half the batch, and it still makes a pretty good sized bread, enough to fill a 10" cast iron skillet.  It's gluten-free, but you wouldn't notice because it's pretty similar to regular cornbread. It's especially good, of course, loaded up with butter and honey or strawberry-rhubarb jam.

We use a WonderMill.  It produces nice fine flour.  My wife is considering hand-grinding some to add to the next batch to make it a little coarser, but I'm good with it being fine.  

If you will send me an email I will respond with scans of the recipe attached.  (I was going to email you directly but didn't see where Arfcom would let me attach a file.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, didn't see this.  I will send an email and I have a final couple of picture to post as well.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:01:11 PM EDT
[#49]

Last of the corn pictures:

This one only had 2 kernels.

Nice colors!

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:28:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Very cool.  I'm guessing you'll try it again next year.  It's a lot of fun to pull the kernels off the cobs and make stuff out them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top