Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2015 6:55:55 PM EDT
Are they just good as collectibles or are they actually useful?

I would be hooking up a tiller to it, blade, cultivator, possibly a moldboard, snowblower if i can find one reasonable, and large yard trailer.

The one for sale I am going to look at is an 1810 hydrostatic. Only comes with a belly mower (which I actually don't need/want)

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:11:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Its a great unit for what you want to use it for, if you can find the attachments. I would look for those before I bought it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:02:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Rat,

How old is old?  I ran a pair of narrow frame Cub Cadets for years.  1969 and 1970.  Very sturdy beasts.  Kohler K301s are good stuff.  I liked the lack of safety interlocks, too.

Ray
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:10:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Rat,

How old is old?  I ran a pair of narrow frame Cub Cadets for years.  1969 and 1970.  Very sturdy beasts.  Kohler K301s are good stuff.  I liked the lack of safety interlocks, too.

Ray
View Quote
1810's are from the mid 80's.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:34:09 AM EDT
[#4]
For those in the know on these, is there a model series better than others, a model/year to avoid, is a manual trans better than hydro? The 1810 is made by MTD (or at least not IH) by what I find, is that bad?

I need a workhorse, and I want something that will hold up to tractor like usage.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:54:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I need a workhorse, and I want something that will hold up to tractor like usage.

Thanks,

View Quote

then you need a real tractor.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:20:57 AM EDT
[#6]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks,

then you need a real tractor.

http://www.homestead.org/NeilShelton/UsedTractor/HowtoBuyaVeryUsedTractor.htm

Thanks.

I have a JD 2010, but I need something much smaller for garden work, which is where the cub cadet sized machines came in.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:10:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Have you looked for a JD318?

Those were the best small machines ever made, but might be too small for what you want.

How about a compact tractor like a Kubota? they are solid.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:55:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I think one of the best small tractors ever was the Case/Ingersoll tractors.  Unique but very effective drive system and lots of implement options.  

I'm hoping to find one some day to fix up and then use for mowing and maybe get a grader blade.  I have a Kubota 25 hp tractor with loader for bigger things.  

The poster above me mentioned the JD318.  The 318 (and the others in that class) were some of the best small tractors ever made.  Only issue with them is that implements can sometimes be hard to find.  

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 8:00:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a 1200 model which has the K301 motor, great small tractor don't find many built like these anymore. I have the belly mower, snow  plow and a cart for it that's it. Its regulated to hauling anymore as I mow with a ZTR.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 7:42:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 7:47:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Go for it !  I bought a 1971  Cub 147  and this thing is a beast.  Definitely want one with the Hydrostatic drive, no gears to shift go as slow as You want or need to. Built like a Tank lots of Cast Iron .  So far only problems have been the Belt for the Mower Deck , Idler pulley mount is worn and bounces out of alignment  and throws the belt. And wiring  has cracked off insulation and is Mouse chewed , this can be expected for something 44 Years old. I ask way too much out of a small tractor , and the late model junk from the big box stores are junk in 1-2 seasons. I use it like a mini brush hog, on My hilly 11 acres.  Just Today I was looking at the Deck and was amazed that there were no rust holes , then I took a better look  it is made out of heavy Steel 3/16 " thick . Now I see why they still sell for big money even at 44 Years old.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:52:46 PM EDT
[#12]
SO what is the story on the JD 316?? Found one really close for $1k. Only has a mower.

Can it:

Have a loader put on,

side sickle attachment,

rear PTO

3 point

Thanks!

Found what I REALLY want: Ford 1210. Still bring $3k, but look to be exactly what I need!

ETA: Answered my own questions there.

Looks like it can handle a loader, 3 point, rear PTO is available, and it will take all attachments from a 140.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 4:36:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

SO what is the story on the JD 316?? Found one really close for $1k. Only has a mower.

Can it:

Have a loader put on,

side sickle attachment,

rear PTO

3 point
Thanks!

Found what I REALLY want: Ford 1210. Still bring $3k, but look to be exactly what I need!

ETA: Answered my own questions there.

Looks like it can handle a loader, 3 point, rear PTO is available, and it will take all attachments from a 140.

View Quote

here is the skinny on the 318... this is the model you want. http://www.tractordata.com/lawn-tractors/000/0/3/36-john-deere-318-attachments.html

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:04:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Go for it !  I bought a 1971  Cub 147  and this thing is a beast.  Definitely want one with the Hydrostatic drive, no gears to shift go as slow as You want or need to. Built like a Tank lots of Cast Iron .  So far only problems have been the Belt for the Mower Deck , Idler pulley mount is worn and bounces out of alignment  and throws the belt. And wiring  has cracked off insulation and is Mouse chewed , this can be expected for something 44 Years old. I ask way too much out of a small tractor , and the late model junk from the big box stores are junk in 1-2 seasons. I use it like a mini brush hog, on My hilly 11 acres.  Just Today I was looking at the Deck and was amazed that there were no rust holes , then I took a better look  it is made out of heavy Steel 3/16 " thick . Now I see why they still sell for big money even at 44 Years old.
View Quote

i had an early Cub 147 hydro for about 15 years, bought it used.  during my tenure it saw a lot of combat -- including 1.5acres of summer mowing, and winter plowing for both the house and our nearby business.

problem areas:

-- combo starter-generator was not the best at either.  when it gets cold (<20'F) that Kohler could be a bitch to start unless you used a trouble light to pre-heat the block.  i had to fix the charging system at least twice.  the ammeter on the dash was just an advisory about what "may" be going on.  
-- front PTO clutch and belt along with the idler.  occasionally for no apparent reason the graphite wear button would just disintegrate.  idler setup is a little hokey and results in belt twist.
-- "frame rock" due to the 4 mounting bolts which attached the frame rails to the rear transmission coming loose.  once they start to open up their threads it is a difficult recovery.
-- eventually the rod came through the side, but the short block was cheap and we had it running again in about 3 hours.
-- the mower deck needed to be welded about 3 times.

pluses:

-- with the exception of the engine problem above, never really had to walk back.
-- hydostatic transmission is overbuilt.  take the top cover off and look at the size of the helical cut gearset; you could probably put 30HP through that transmission.
-- the entire cast front end, including the steering arms, is overbuilt.  
-- easy to work on.  even the jackshaft cooling fan replacement is a piece of cake.
-- lots of parts.

is it a Kubota BX?  no.  but for it's time it was a sturdy lawn/garden tractor and it put up with a lot of abuse.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:10:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Bought the 316. Older model, has the onan 16 HP.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 3:50:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, I bought the 316 knowing the battery light was on. Figured no big deal. Bad ground, or maybe the regulator. Figured $15 and I would be on my way.

Nope.

Looks like the alternator stator is out. I get to pull the engine and replace.

At least it gives me the opportunity to give the old machine a good detail cleaning/inspection and get some other maintenance issues done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top