Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 12:53:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By samiam513:
Are these record lows for being this late in the season?  

I have a friend in VT who posted snow pics!  I was shocked.  Then I saw your post about temps!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By C-4:
Originally Posted By Waldo:

I've had plenty of hard spring frosts with garlic over the years and they've always survived. The tops might not be pretty, but I've never had any die outright from it.

Yeah, I just got worried about it last night.

I have a friend in VT who posted snow pics!  I was shocked.  Then I saw your post about temps!

No, not record lows.  The problem is we had a record warm winter and the garlic came up early.  I have been ice-fishing in previous years up
until the first week of April.  Now.  This year we had the earliest ice-out recorded since 1888.  The garlic came up early due to the warm winter and now
we've had this cold snap.  That's the problem.  I think Waldo is correct that the garlic will survive, but it does put a damper on things.

I've been going through my garlic and some was getting a little soft.  The Music, Siberian and German Extra Hardy are doing well but I've decided that
since my drying and grinding went so well, I have been turning my garlic into garlic powder.  It is going very well and it's a great way to store it.  

I am going to be adding a lot of this year's crop to my wife's cucumber pickling jars, assuming it doesn't freeze first!

Other plants were smart:  The blueberries resisted the cold weather and hasn't emerged yet, along with most other plants.  

Link Posted: 4/11/2016 7:10:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 7:29:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:
It's nowhere near record for here.  April is still "occasional freeze" weather in our zone.

Don't know about other places.

People tend to have short-term memory though, when it comes to how cold/hot it sometimes gets.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

I've had plenty of hard spring frosts with garlic over the years and they've always survived. The tops might not be pretty, but I've never had any die outright from it.

Yeah, I just got worried about it last night.

It's nowhere near record for here.  April is still "occasional freeze" weather in our zone.

Don't know about other places.

People tend to have short-term memory though, when it comes to how cold/hot it sometimes gets.  
Pardon me while I apply some sunscreen.  Don't ask about August

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 9:02:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: samiam513] [#4]
Took my daughter out to the garden while I pulled some onions that went to seed.  Snapped this pic and it shows the garlic height well.

And a happier pic

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 10:10:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C-4] [#5]
Took my daughter out to the garden while I pulled some onions that went to seed.  Snapped this pic and it shows the garlic height well.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/samiamgarden/image.jpg1_zps6jbqpepu.jpg

And a happier pic

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/samiamgarden/image.jpg1_zpshguzihnh.jpg
View Quote

Wow, big plants!

Mine are smoldering but should pick up as it warms up.  I took these pictures yesterday, 04/16/2016.

Between the stepping stones, I planted Cherry Belle Radishes 2 days ago on 04/15/2016.  I think I'll plant some Black Turtle Beans after harvesting the Cherry Belle Radishes in about 5 to 6 weeks.
:

That little pile of straw at the bottom of the picture below is covering where I'm planting some Hungarian Summer Radishes.  I will likely plant them tomorrow.  Summer radish varieties are planted in mid-summer for a fall harvest.  If you plant them in early spring, they will flower and go to seed.  I am running low on my seed stock and it is many years old so I need some fresh seed stock.  I plan to plant Hungarian Summer Radishes where my garlic is growing now.  Harvest garlic mid-July then plant the radishes for a fall harvest of the roots.  I will start a separate thread on this.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:53:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C-4] [#6]
Update: 05/02/2016

One week ago, on 04/25/2016, we got slightly over 1" of snow.  The temperature did dip below freezing, maybe down to 27F.

A couple of days later, everything was back to normal.

The garlic is growing slowly, but we are getting nights down into the 30's and low 40's so I'm not surprised.  I'm mainly posting this to show how cold resistant garlic can be.  It can survive a hard frost (light frost is 28 to 32F and hard frost is < 28F)
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 11:06:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd bet it'll be done by early June.  It is getting hot here.

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 3:58:52 PM EDT
[#8]

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/samiamgarden/IMG_2415_zpsycg0jicf.jpg~original
View Quote

Looks good!  What are you going to plant in its place?  I'm planting Hungarian Summer Radishes, plant mid-July and harvest 8 weeks later in mid-September.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 5:17:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: samiam513] [#9]

Looks good!  What are you going to plant in its place?  I'm planting Hungarian Summer Radishes, plant mid-July and harvest 8 weeks later in mid-September.
View All Quotes

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/samiamgarden/IMG_2415_zpsycg0jicf.jpg~original

Haven't thought about it.  Might leave it empty once garlic is done until carrots. Its hard to grow in July here because of the heat so I have to plan accordingly.  

I am doing an entire bed of carrots this fall.  Depending on the garlic I might do an entire bed of it it too.  The garden should be doubling in siZe here in the next couple of months.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:05:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: samiam513] [#10]
Creole and Pescadero came out.  Both are small.

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:27:53 AM EDT
[#11]

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/samiamgarden/IMG_2530_zpstpy05a8p.jpg~original  
View Quote

Nice!  Are those softneck varieties?  My plants are looking great but no way to know how the bulbs are doing.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 4:17:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Nice!  Are those softneck varieties?  My plants are looking great but no way to know how the bulbs are doing.
View All Quotes

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/samiamgarden/IMG_2530_zpstpy05a8p.jpg~original  

All softnecks.  I pulled the others this morning. Inchellum red got the biggest by far.  We shall see which has the best flavor.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 5:25:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:07:57 PM EDT
[#14]
All softnecks.  I pulled the others this morning. Inchellum red got the biggest by far.  We shall see which has the best flavor.
View All Quotes

Cool.  I only plant hardneck because of my zone.  Softneck keeps better from what I've read but no scapes.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 11:09:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Originally Posted By Corporal_Chaos:
When did you plant your garlic?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Corporal_Chaos:

When did you plant your garlic?
Planted 10/17/15 and it looks like all were growing above ground by 11/30/15.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 11:14:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Cool.  I only plant hardneck because of my zone.  Softneck keeps better from what I've read but no scapes.
View All Quotes

I am going to try to keep some but I think the longest stores will be garlic powder or frozen.  We keep our house warm in the summer because of the electric bill.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 2:05:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: samiam513] [#17]
The creole red and pescadero were described as softnecks that act like hardnecks.  With that said, I have a question...

Can you remove and eat scares that form a week after you begin drying the garlic?  No joke... Creole red is sending up scares while it is drying in 90 degree heat.  I'll post a picture later.

Update:

From Fillaree Garlic Farm - "The Creole
strains have many excellent qualities; size is not one of them for most
northern growers.  We sell a minimum 1.5 inch bulbs for our creole
strains.  When planted in warmer climates, they generally grow larger
than this.  Some years they do grow larger for us here near the Canadian
border.  Genetically they are softneck Silverskins that bolt weakly and
behave like hardneck garlic. They do send up a flower stalk and have a
hard stem. Creoles have excellent flavor, great for raw use in salads
and marinades.  They also have magnificent bright pink red clove
wrappers and store exceptionally well."

I never expected them to send up a scape because we get so hot so fast here in central AL.  I expected them to be just like a softneck.  Nice surprise!  

Link Posted: 6/12/2016 2:42:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I just cut the scapes from the garlic plants in the asparagus bed.  The plants in the main bed should be ready in a few days to a week or so.  They are looking good this year.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:39:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 11:49:01 AM EDT
[#20]
The creole red and pescadero were described as softnecks that act like hardnecks.  With that said, I have a question...

Can you remove and eat scares that form a week after you begin drying the garlic?  No joke... Creole red is sending up scares while it is drying in 90 degree heat.  I'll post a picture later.

Update:

From Fillaree Garlic Farm - "The Creole strains have many excellent qualities; size is not one of them for most northern growers.  We sell a minimum 1.5 inch bulbs for our creole strains.  When planted in warmer climates, they generally grow larger than this.  Some years they do grow larger for us here near the Canadian border.  Genetically they are softneck Silverskins that bolt weakly and behave like hardneck garlic. They do send up a flower stalk and have a hard stem. Creoles have excellent flavor, great for raw use in salads and marinades.  They also have magnificent bright pink red clove wrappers and store exceptionally well."

I never expected them to send up a scape because we get so hot so fast here in central AL.  I expected them to be just like a softneck.  Nice surprise!  

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/samiamgarden/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpskirgvtkn.jpeg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/samiamgarden/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpslxsnylka.jpeg

View Quote

That is strange.  Maybe the stress triggered the flowering?  Since they are softnecks, I'm not familiar enough with them.  The California softneck I had a couple of years ago sent out flowers in the middle of the stalk, not out the top like the hardneck varieties I've grown.

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 11:49:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By BigPumpkins:
I just cut the scapes from the garlic plants in the asparagus bed.  The plants in the main bed should be ready in a few days to a week or so.  They are looking good this year.
View Quote

You forgot pictures!
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 12:00:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C-4] [#22]

Looks like I'll be digging garlic soon. Probably before I head back to WV after the 4th. Might be a bit early, but another two weeks after that will be too late and the wrappers will deteriorate.  The Music looks good, but the stock I plant has been well acclimated to my location, probably 5 generations or more. The Korean Red is on it's first planting here and it shows.  I doubt if I'll eat much (or any) of the Korean, and use it for re-planting.
View Quote

Yeah, better early harvest than late.  Did you get any scapes?  Mine are flowering now and sent up flower stalks maybe 2 weeks ago, mid-June.  

These are from 06/04/2016:

These pictures are from 06/13/2016 and show early flower stalks.  Given the date and their length, I'd say the flower stalks probably started going up maybe 06/09/16 or 06/10/16.

I really need to cut the scapes/flower stalks today as they have grown considerably since taking the above pictures on 06/13/16.  They are not opening up, but I don't want the garlic plants putting any more energy into the flower stalks.  I will likely eat some pan-fried ones tonight along with a nice halibut fillet.  My wife is visiting her parents and comes back today so it will be a nice treat for her.  I will update with more pictures when I take some today.  I really did a good job preparing the garlic bed last fall with nice, rich soil.  The plants look particularly strong this year.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 12:38:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Mine are coming out of the ground tomorrow. Got a few leaves starting to turn brown. Ill try to get a few before and after pics.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 6:59:40 PM EDT
[#24]
I actually didn't get my hardnecks in until late April of this year. I had a neck injury last fall that sidelined me for the most part.

I'm considering this year as a test to see how spring planted hardnecks will do. As long as they form cloves I guess I'll be happy.

I also got a disease in a couple varieties last year so I've only got Metechi and Georgian Fire in any quantity this year. I did have some bulbils from Chesnok Red and Music that I planted in March and transplanted to a garden box in late April. The Music is coming up great and are almost a full sized plant but the Chesnok seems to be floundering.

I'll try to get some pics this weekend and post them!
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 7:39:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 3:35:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 12:49:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Eagle_19er:
I actually didn't get my hardnecks in until late April of this year. I had a neck injury last fall that sidelined me for the most part.

I'm considering this year as a test to see how spring planted hardnecks will do. As long as they form cloves I guess I'll be happy.

I also got a disease in a couple varieties last year so I've only got Metechi and Georgian Fire in any quantity this year. I did have some bulbils from Chesnok Red and Music that I planted in March and transplanted to a garden box in late April. The Music is coming up great and are almost a full sized plant but the Chesnok seems to be floundering.

View Quote

Well, you stole my fire!  I am planning on doing collecting bulbils from Music and Siberian garlic this year so I saved some flowers from a few plants.  I'll be very curious to see how your bulbils do!  We have to keep this thread exciting and starting with bulbils is another angle for that.

Sorry to hear about your neck.  I hope all is well.  

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 12:49:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By jbooker82:
Mine are coming out of the ground tomorrow. Got a few leaves starting to turn brown. Ill try to get a few before and after pics.
View Quote

Pics are always welcome!

Link Posted: 7/5/2016 12:52:04 AM EDT
[#29]

I dug some of my garlic this weekend. I think I'm going to try and leave the rest go for another two weeks as the Music leaves are still 90% green.

The Tibetan is browning quite a bit and yet the descriptions say it supposed to be a late(er) harvesting garlic.  Oh well, I'm just going to replant all the Tibetan anyway, so I guess storage life isn't going to be much of a factor at this point. It just has to last until October.

Worked on getting the fallow garlic beds ready for some buckwheat that I'll till in before I plant in the fall.  The beds that I'm digging now will get groundhog radish and crimson clover and I'm going to try a mix of cereal rye and crimson clover on a bed as an experiment.
View Quote

Interesting stuff.  I don't grow grains for green manure, but I am fascinated by them.  I did plant red/Crimson clover in a small area along with oats for fun.  The chickens are let in periodically and love the fresh clover.

Link Posted: 7/5/2016 6:50:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 5:50:52 PM EDT
[#31]

I've been trying to learn and experiment with cover crops for a couple of seasons now.  I'm dealing with Ohio clay soil. It's fertile enough, but it needs huge amounts of biomass inputs to make it friable enough for root crops.  It gets complicated trying to do that without messing up the C\N ratio.

Buckwheat is a great cover crop for garlic beds that you're going to replant again in the fall because it grows so quickly in July and August. Keeps the weeds out and you'll have some biomass to till in before replanting your garlic. Doesn't add much in the way of N though.

Some good info here.

http://www.hort.cornell.edu/extension/organic/ocs/reports/Cover%20Crops%20Planting%20and%20Termination.pdf
View All Quotes

I dug some of my garlic this weekend. I think I'm going to try and leave the rest go for another two weeks as the Music leaves are still 90% green.

The Tibetan is browning quite a bit and yet the descriptions say it supposed to be a late(er) harvesting garlic.  Oh well, I'm just going to replant all the Tibetan anyway, so I guess storage life isn't going to be much of a factor at this point. It just has to last until October.

Worked on getting the fallow garlic beds ready for some buckwheat that I'll till in before I plant in the fall.  The beds that I'm digging now will get groundhog radish and crimson clover and I'm going to try a mix of cereal rye and crimson clover on a bed as an experiment.

Interesting stuff.  I don't grow grains for green manure, but I am fascinated by them.  I did plant red/Crimson clover in a small area along with oats for fun.  The chickens are let in periodically and love the fresh clover.

I've been trying to learn and experiment with cover crops for a couple of seasons now.  I'm dealing with Ohio clay soil. It's fertile enough, but it needs huge amounts of biomass inputs to make it friable enough for root crops.  It gets complicated trying to do that without messing up the C\N ratio.

Buckwheat is a great cover crop for garlic beds that you're going to replant again in the fall because it grows so quickly in July and August. Keeps the weeds out and you'll have some biomass to till in before replanting your garlic. Doesn't add much in the way of N though.

Some good info here.

http://www.hort.cornell.edu/extension/organic/ocs/reports/Cover%20Crops%20Planting%20and%20Termination.pdf

Thank you.  I am going to plant some Winter Rye throughout the garden in the fall to watch it grow.  It's supposed to survive winters down to -30F.

Link Posted: 7/7/2016 1:57:48 AM EDT
[#32]

Well, you stole my fire!  I am planning on doing collecting bulbils from Music and Siberian garlic this year so I saved some flowers from a few plants.  I'll be very curious to see how your bulbils do!  We have to keep this thread exciting and starting with bulbils is another angle for that.

View All Quotes

Ha! I pulled one of the Music plants that I started as a bulbil and I was happy to see about a dime sized bulb at the bottom. Looks and smells like garlic, just a baby one. I have about 30 more in the ground and I'm going to let those go until late summer or when the plants start dying back and then get them ready for regular planting in the fall.

Next year will be the real telling with them...seeing if they get full sized. I have no reason to believe they won't, but I want to see it for myself.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 5:25:23 PM EDT
[#33]

Some good info here.

View Quote

Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#34]

Ha! I pulled one of the Music plants that I started as a bulbil and I was happy to see about a dime sized bulb at the bottom. Looks and smells like garlic, just a baby one. I have about 30 more in the ground and I'm going to let those go until late summer or when the plants start dying back and then get them ready for regular planting in the fall.

Next year will be the real telling with them...seeing if they get full sized. I have no reason to believe they won't, but I want to see it for myself.
View All Quotes

So you are going to harvest them and then re-plant?  Can you leave them in the same spot or are you concerned they may start growing too soon and have a long stalk when the frost hits?

Link Posted: 7/8/2016 8:24:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eagle_19er] [#35]

So you are going to harvest them and then re-plant?  Can you leave them in the same spot or are you concerned they may start growing too soon and have a long stalk when the frost hits?

View All Quotes

I'm going to pull them all and follow my standard drying procedure then replant in the fall, but mostly because I started them in 4" starter pots. When I transplanted them they all ended up in the same 1.5 sq ft spot in my garden. There's a minimum of 1" between all of them and in most cases 1.5" or better but they are WAY to close together for a regular season of growth.

I didn't really know how they'd do (or if they'd even grow) so I didn't want to dedicate "normal" garlic space to them this year.  
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 11:24:02 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm going to pull them all and follow my standard drying procedure then replant in the fall, but mostly because I started them in 4" starter pots. When I transplanted them they all ended up in the same 1.5 sq ft spot in my garden. There's a minimum of 1" between all of them and in most cases 1.5" or better but they are WAY to close together for a regular season of growth.

I didn't really know how they'd do (or if they'd even grow) so I didn't want to dedicate "normal" garlic space to them this year.  

View Quote

Yeah, that makes perfect sense.  I didn't think about planting them very close together, but that's what I'll do as well, maybe 1.5" in the fall, presuming I get good bulbils.  And then the following fall I can replant with much more space.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 9:42:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: samiam513] [#37]
Garlic is all dried and inside.  Mrs. Samiam agrees that garlic braids are a great way to store garlic.  Whoda thunk the full blood italian would like them

On a side note, I think I am going to let some go to 1 green leaf next year.  All of my garlic has plenty of wrappers and I thought I pulled it late.  I lost 1-2 to cleaning them up after drying and the ones I have checked have 4 dried wrappers left.  Lesson of trying something new

I don't think I posted a picture of how I dried it.

Three braids on a hook.

Link Posted: 7/10/2016 12:07:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Garlic is all dried and inside.  Mrs. Samiam agrees that garlic braids are a great way to store garlic.  Whoda thunk the full blood italian would like them

On a side note, I think I am going to let some go to 1 green leaf next year.  All of my garlic has plenty of wrappers and I thought I pulled it late.  I lost 1-2 to cleaning them up after drying and the ones I have checked have 4 dried wrappers left.  Lesson of trying something new

I don't think I posted a picture of how I dried it.
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/samiamgarden/IMG_yhj2573_zpsugjyp4xi.jpg~original

Three braids on a hook.
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/samiamgarden/IMG_2977_zpsxr6jnf4t.jpg~original

View Quote

Nice!  My lower leaves are starting to turn yellow and brown.  I have planted some Black Turtle beans and I think I'll transplant them once I harvest the garlic.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:34:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:21:32 PM EDT
[#40]

Got back to Ohio and finished digging all of my garlic.

The Music harvest was probably the best I've ever had.  The Tibetan I planted for the first time in the fall didn't do that well.  It may have been my fault since I didn't put it in the greatest bed, but IDK. Will replant all of it again in a better bed and see how it turns out next year.  It's some hot stuff though.
View Quote

Yeah, my Music always seems to do well.  It's an all-around great hardneck garlic.

I picked my garlic about 6 days ago and lay it down on the straw to dry.  I brought it in yesterday.  The Siberian did well.  I think I may concentrate on 3 varieties going forward.  We'll see.  

I planted Black Turtle beans in their place.  I started those about 2+ weeks ago and did inoculate them with nitrogen-fixing bacteria. Pictures forthcoming.

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 8:12:25 PM EDT
[#41]
My Music bulbils looked ready so I ended up digging them today. The Chesnok just hasn't really grown for some strange reason. The stalks on the Music are approx the diameter of a pencil or a little thicker while the thickest Chesnok is only about 1/8th inch.

Here are the Music bulbs. The bulb size is anywhere from about a dime to just over an inch. These will be dried normally and replanted this fall:

Here is the tiny Chesnok still in the garden bed. Whatever I end up getting from these will also be replanted this fall:

My spring planted hardnecks are still in the garden! Most are finally displaying at least one browning leaf on the bottom so they will be coming out in the next few weeks. I'm pretty sure I completely messed up their life cycle this year so I'm a little nervous on how they're going to come out but only time will tell.

There is some...curious...growth on these. First of all, the plants themselves seemed to grow very fast earlier this summer and now the weight of the plant can't be supported so most of the plants are laying on their side, above the straw. The size of each plant is normal so I'm hoping bulbs develop normally too.

About half have regular scapes that I just picked last week but a good number of them developed several extra leaves that are about 3 times as thick as a regular garlic leave. I may have created a new mutant strain.

The regular leaves also ended up growing closer together that I've seen on garlic in the past.

This pic shows the extra leaves coming out the top of the plant.

Link Posted: 9/4/2016 8:53:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: C-4] [#42]
My Music bulbils looked ready so I ended up digging them today. The Chesnok just hasn't really grown for some strange reason. The stalks on the Music are approx the diameter of a pencil or a little thicker while the thickest Chesnok is only about 1/8th inch.

Here are the Music bulbs. The bulb size is anywhere from about a dime to just over an inch. These will be dried normally and replanted this fall:

http://i64.tinypic.com/2qukie1.jpg

Here is the tiny Chesnok still in the garden bed. Whatever I end up getting from these will also be replanted this fall:

http://i63.tinypic.com/24qsc94.jpg

My spring planted hardnecks are still in the garden! Most are finally displaying at least one browning leaf on the bottom so they will be coming out in the next few weeks. I'm pretty sure I completely messed up their life cycle this year so I'm a little nervous on how they're going to come out but only time will tell.

There is some...curious...growth on these. First of all, the plants themselves seemed to grow very fast earlier this summer and now the weight of the plant can't be supported so most of the plants are laying on their side, above the straw. The size of each plant is normal so I'm hoping bulbs develop normally too.

About half have regular scapes that I just picked last week but a good number of them developed several extra leaves that are about 3 times as thick as a regular garlic leave. I may have created a new mutant strain.

The regular leaves also ended up growing closer together that I've seen on garlic in the past.

http://i67.tinypic.com/1pxx1v.jpg
View Quote

Weird stuff.  I wonder if there was more time if each one of those thick leaves would turn into a flower or not.

I've had some problems with some of my Music bulbs spoiling.  I'm not sure if it's because it's hotter in the house, including the basement, or if there is some other reason.  

My wife is pickling cucumbers.  It's later than usual since I grew radishes in the cucumber bed and the cucumbers went in later than usual.  She is up to 14 one-quart jars.  She uses garlic, dill, etc and I've been having her use my Music for the pickling.  I may end up buying new Music stock if the remaining bulbs start to turn.  Zombie garlic.

Link Posted: 9/4/2016 8:59:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 9:15:46 PM EDT
[#44]

Weird stuff.  I wonder if there was more time if each one of those thick leaves would turn into a flower or not.

I've had some problems with some of my Music bulbs spoiling.  I'm not sure if it's because it's hotter in the house, including the basement, or if there is some other reason.  

My wife is pickling cucumbers.  It's later than usual since I grew radishes in the cucumber bed and the cucumbers went in later than usual.  She is up to 14 one-quart jars.  She uses garlic, dill, etc and I've been having her use my Music for the pickling.  I may end up buying new Music stock if the remaining bulbs start to turn.  Zombie garlic.

View All Quotes

I forget, did I send you some Music stock a couple years ago? I don't know if that was one I sent with the rest...If it is, it may be showing signs of being infected, depending on when mine got a disease. That could potentially cause premature spoilage.

Last year my Music showed signs of basal rot so I used a bit of it but didn't replant any of it, hence the test with the bulbils this spring.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 9:50:39 PM EDT
[#45]

I leave the tops on and hang mine from the rafters in the old pole barn and only bring a few into the house at a time. They usually last quite a while stored like that.

I'd say you didn't get them properly dried.
View All Quotes

I leave the tops on and hang mine from the rafters in the old pole barn and only bring a few into the house at a time. They usually last quite a while stored like that.

I'd say you didn't get them properly dried.

Could be.  I'll double check the other varieties I have!

Link Posted: 9/4/2016 9:57:39 PM EDT
[#46]

I forget, did I send you some Music stock a couple years ago? I don't know if that was one I sent with the rest...If it is, it may be showing signs of being infected, depending on when mine got a disease. That could potentially cause premature spoilage.

Last year my Music showed signs of basal rot so I used a bit of it but didn't replant any of it, hence the test with the bulbils this spring.
View All Quotes

I don't remember.  I did save bulbils so maybe I'll go that route to save this strain.  I'm also having some work done to remove the railroad ties and put in brick/stone/whatever to replace it.  Hopefully I can get it all done soon enough to plant the garlic in that space.  If not, I will put any bulbs and bulbils in my other garden.

(I'm on my iPad so I'll come back to cut out this full quote.)
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 11:15:55 PM EDT
[#47]

I don't remember.  I did save bulbils so maybe I'll go that route to save this strain.  I'm also having some work done to remove the railroad ties and put in brick/stone/whatever to replace it.  Hopefully I can get it all done soon enough to plant the garlic in that space.  If not, I will put any bulbs and bulbils in my other garden.

View All Quotes

Make sure to post the brick/stone beds.  I've always wanted brick or stone beds with brick walkways.  A man can dream right?
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 5:07:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 12:15:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Got my garlic planted today, at least it was in the fall this time! Georgian Fire, Metechi, Music (the new stock grown from bulbils). --A lot of those Music bulbils turned into approx dime sized single clove bulbs that I replanted whole and some ended up being mini bulbs with four individual cloves. The ones with individual cloves I broke apart and planted the largest two cloves and discarded the other two.

The very small Chesnok Red's that I started from bulbils will be replanted next week if we don't freeze up. I have some bulbils from the Metechi and Georgian fire that will also go in the ground then to see if they come up in the spring.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 9:56:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C-4] [#50]
Got my garlic planted today, at least it was in the fall this time! Georgian Fire, Metechi, Music (the new stock grown from bulbils). --A lot of those Music bulbils turned into approx dime sized single clove bulbs that I replanted whole and some ended up being mini bulbs with four individual cloves. The ones with individual cloves I broke apart and planted the largest two cloves and discarded the other two.

The very small Chesnok Red's that I started from bulbils will be replanted next week if we don't freeze up. I have some bulbils from the Metechi and Georgian fire that will also go in the ground then to see if they come up in the spring.
View Quote

Thanks for the update.  I got my garlic in, 90 cloves this past Sunday, 11/13/2016.  It was a later than I wanted, but I had the railroad ties removed and a new concrete block wall installed.  It looks great and I don't have to worry about the wood rotting anymore.  Some parts were getting sketchy.

I also planted my French shallots, Yellow Multiplier onions, and I left my Walking onions in the same spot.  

Thanks for reminding me about the bulbils.  Hopefully the ones I have are still good.  I plant them tomorrow.

I will get some pictures up as well.

I also planted some Tulips and Crocuses, and I also put my Issai Kiwi vines back in as I had temporarily removed them so they wouldn't be damaged.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top