Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 8:54:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone have a pic of what the plant should look like when you harvest the garlic? Thus is all new to me. Thank you
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 10:07:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C-4] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sigpros:
Anyone have a pic of what the plant should look like when you harvest the garlic? Thus is all new to me. Thank you
View Quote

You want the lower 1/3 of the leaves to be yellow/brown.  If you look at the link to the archived thread at the beginning of this thread, and at the archived thread in that thread then you will find some good pictures.  I'm copying a few below.  

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:31:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you. Mine went a hair too long I think. I dug  it up tonight. Thank you
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:57:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:05:32 PM EDT
[#5]

I'm going to get some pictures up in the next couple of days.  I think I'm getting close to harvest.  Two years ago I harvested mid-July and last year it was end of July.  I have some lower leaves that are drying out.  I pulled one bulb and it was on the small side from a sizable plant.  We shall see.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 10:46:25 PM EDT
[#6]
i'm probably a few days away from harvest as well. bottom few leaves are yellow.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 6:18:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 6:37:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#8]
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 12:10:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

C-4 do they dry out at any kind of regular rate---as in, say, one set of leaves per day once the days begin to shorten and the die-back starts?

Or is it more random and weather dependent?  

I don't know if I'll manage it this fall, but I want to try garlic.  My dad grew it, and when I started seeing these threads I realized, of all the things I learned about gardening when I was growing up, the subtleties of garlic and onions is NOT something I absorbed at all.  

This is a great thread.

ETA: I just tried to set this to not archive, so even if there's a lull, it won't drop off again.  Crossing fingers it worked.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By C-4:

I'm going to get some pictures up in the next couple of days.  I think I'm getting close to harvest.  Two years ago I harvested mid-July and last year it was end of July.  I have some lower leaves that are drying out.  I pulled one bulb and it was on the small side from a sizable plant.  We shall see.

C-4 do they dry out at any kind of regular rate---as in, say, one set of leaves per day once the days begin to shorten and the die-back starts?

I don't know if I'll manage it this fall, but I want to try garlic.  My dad grew it, and when I started seeing these threads I realized, of all the things I learned about gardening when I was growing up, the subtleties of garlic and onions is NOT something I absorbed at all.  

This is a great thread.

ETA: I just tried to set this to not archive, so even if there's a lull, it won't drop off again.  Crossing fingers it worked.

My harvest has been anywhere from the end of the first week of July to towards the end of July with this year looking to be more towards the end of July. It is pretty weather dependent in my experience.

I haven't dug any yet this year to see how they are but I'm basing it on the lower leaves and the lack of brown lower leaves tells me the bulbs are still filling out/plants are still growing. The majority of my plants have several leaf tips browning and the 1st leaf (lowest) is mostly brown on most of them. It's getting there but it's still early for them.

In my experience the wetter years have a later harvest and it's been W....E....T this year. In fact we had over 4" of rain in my AO in about 2 hours just earlier this week and a few other storms that were similar going back through June.

Overall though, garlic really is a pretty easy plant to grow once you've done it a time or two...but onions and shallots give me fits EVERY year.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 12:12:30 AM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

Was this a plant that you left the scape on or one that you cut it off?
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 1:04:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Tell ya what, I'm planting 5-10x more garlic in October than I did for this time around.  The scapes were so good I think it's almost better than the garlic itself.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 2:53:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 10:40:33 PM EDT
[#13]

This is a great thread.

View All Quotes

This is a great thread.

Sorry I missed this and other posts.  It doesn't seem to follow anything specific other than time ie. as per the days shortening.  Here it is mid-July except for last year where the spring started about 2 weeks later and it matured at the end of July.  I pulled them all from the ground yesterday and took pictures.  Today, I bundled them all up in the groups from the different varieties.  I took pictures of that as well and will post updates.  I think the Music and Siberian did the best.

I will bring them inside tomorrow and plan yellow wax beans in their place except for a few I didn't pick since I left some scapes on.  I took pictures of those as well to post here.

Thank you for setting it not to archive!  Hopefully it works as I do plan to keep planting garlic every year and posting here.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 10:42:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Eagle_19er:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Eagle_19er:

That one had the scape cut off.  The rest all seem to mature around the same time according to daylight.  Here it seems mid-July is the magic time for that.

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 8:32:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 12:03:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Waldo:

I got back to Ohio yesterday and dug all my garlic this evening.
View Quote

Did you forget something?  I took a bunch of pictures and will get them up.

I planted some yellow beans and Hungarian summer radishes in place of the harvested garlic.  They already germinated.  I like the idea of a second crop in the same season.

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 4:59:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 8:40:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Meh, it garlic. It looks the same every year.

I have these sitting in the shade and I'll have to go knock the dirt off the roots and tie them in bunches to hang in the barn later.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=78748
View All Quotes

I got back to Ohio yesterday and dug all my garlic this evening.

Did you forget something?  I took a bunch of pictures and will get them up.

I planted some yellow beans and Hungarian summer radishes in place of the harvested garlic.  They already germinated.  I like the idea of a second crop in the same season.

Meh, it garlic. It looks the same every year.

I have these sitting in the shade and I'll have to go knock the dirt off the roots and tie them in bunches to hang in the barn later.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=78748

How many varieties?  I think my Music did the best in terms of size.

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 9:08:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:55:13 PM EDT
[#20]

It's all Music.  I have some Tibetan ordered to try this fall.
View All Quotes
How many varieties?  I think my Music did the best in terms of size.

It's all Music.  I have some Tibetan ordered to try this fall.

It really seems to be true that Music is a solid variety.

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 6:38:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:30:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SigOwner_P229] [#22]
My Music was anemic this year; smallest bulb sizes of all 4 varieties I planted...

I forget which variety was best, it was either my Chesnok Red or the Siberian.

The problem I have is that I seem to have 2 different maturity dates the music & chesnok Red mature later than the Siberian and Belarus and I always seem to miss the boat on the latter 2 and the skins degrade too far...

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:06:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By SigOwner_P229:
My Music was anemic this year; smallest bulb sizes of all 4 varieties I planted...

I forget which variety was best, it was either my Chesnok Red or the Siberian.

The problem I have is that I seem to have 2 different maturity dates the music & chesnok Red mature later than the Siberian and Belarus and I always seem to miss the boat on the latter 2 and the skins degrade too far...

View Quote

I have 7 varieties (listed in the original post) including the Siberian and Music.  I went ahead and harvested everything at the same time.  What little additional growth I would get isn't worth worrying about the skin thickness.  I've harvested late before (California softneck) and it's a pain to deal with loose cloves.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:33:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:48:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Stupid question for you experts...How long is garlic good for if store bought and stored in the lower "veggie" section of my fridge? It smells and look ok but its been a few months and I don't wana get sick
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:00:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:21:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By BlackOps_1:
Stupid question for you experts...How long is garlic good for if store bought and stored in the lower "veggie" section of my fridge? It smells and look ok but its been a few months and I don't wana get sick
View Quote

I don't store mine in a fridge, just in the pantry... The flavor/texture will degrade starting from the day you put it in storage... that being said, I'm still using garlic from last year's harvest. The cloves have definitely lost moisture and shrunk a bit and you have to split the clove and remove the start of the green stem, but it's still garlic and it's still edible...
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:51:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:06:02 PM EDT
[#29]

Garlic does not need to be refrigerated.

Think of it like onions or potatoes.  You don't refrigerate those (or you shouldn't, anyway).

Garlic does not really spoil in the way you're thinking of it, at least not in its natural form.  I think if you take it out of its husk and put it in oil there is some possibility of food-borne illness but it's been a long time since I read through that.  One of Chef's threads (they were moved to the cooking forum) addressed this in detail.

It will last a long time, but it will lose quality over time.

Can you still use it?

Yes.

Do you want to?

That depends on what kind of cook you are.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BlackOps_1:

Garlic does not need to be refrigerated.

Think of it like onions or potatoes.  You don't refrigerate those (or you shouldn't, anyway).

Garlic does not really spoil in the way you're thinking of it, at least not in its natural form.  I think if you take it out of its husk and put it in oil there is some possibility of food-borne illness but it's been a long time since I read through that.  One of Chef's threads (they were moved to the cooking forum) addressed this in detail.

It will last a long time, but it will lose quality over time.

Can you still use it?

Yes.

Do you want to?

That depends on what kind of cook you are.

Exactly.  I have read that softneck garlic stores longer, but I can stretch hardneck almost as long but quality drops as noted in another post above by losing moisture.  I have grown California softneck garlic and it definitely seems to hold up better.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:06:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#30]
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:23:40 AM EDT
[#31]

That is what I was asking.

if you leave onions out there, you get sporadic growth, but they do come back. It's what they are designed to do after all.

With garlic, I wasn't certain

With all of these "bulb-type" crops, there is a way to manage them, and there are subtleties.  I admit that as many onions as I've pulled and hauled into a barn loft to lay out (non touching any others) to dry, I haven't ever learned how to manage this from start to finish.

I've been the grunt labor. Not the planner.

So In this instance, I'm the greenhorn.
View All Quotes
Okay dumbass question from a "I don't grow garlic" gardener.

What happens if you get overwhelmed and just leave the garlic out there?

What happens this fall?

What happens next spring?

Not really sure what you're asking. Will it come back the next year if you just never touch it? Yeah, not sure how it will turn out since the bulb wasn't broken apart and the cloves separated.

If you're asking about digging it later than you should have.... You end up with bad wrappers on the bulb. It generally just falls apart into individual cloves. Makes it hard to dry and store, cuts storage life.

if you leave onions out there, you get sporadic growth, but they do come back. It's what they are designed to do after all.

With all of these "bulb-type" crops, there is a way to manage them, and there are subtleties.  I admit that as many onions as I've pulled and hauled into a barn loft to lay out (non touching any others) to dry, I haven't ever learned how to manage this from start to finish.

As Waldo points out, the garlic will grow again the following year, but the cloves are so crowded inside the bulb that if you don't separate them for planting, you end up with a small bulb from each garlic clove.  

I will update this thread soon with some pictures.  I got some good pictures of the "flowers" I got from not cutting off some of the scapes.  Each flower has many "bulbettes" or mini-bulbs of garlic.  These can be planted like regular garlic cloves, but it can take 2 to 3 years to get a full-size bulb out of it.  I just did this out of curiosity.  

There are also true garlic seeds apparently as explained to me.  If you remove all the bulbettes from the flower, you get true flowers that then produce seeds.  I'll do more research on this as it sounds interesting purely from an academic standpoint.  For our purposes, we should stick to planting garlic cloves.  One exception, though, is if you have a bad soil pathogen against your garlic, you can let it flower and then harvest the bulbettes which will be free of the soil pathogen.

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:41:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:45:17 AM EDT
[#33]

Yep, both onions and garlic propagate both ways--by the bulbs and by seeds.  But nobody I know grows onions from seed.  
If you do that, definitely document it.  As a plantswoman I'd be really interested in seeing that happen.
View All Quotes
Okay dumbass question from a "I don't grow garlic" gardener.

What happens if you get overwhelmed and just leave the garlic out there?

What happens this fall?

What happens next spring?

Not really sure what you're asking. Will it come back the next year if you just never touch it? Yeah, not sure how it will turn out since the bulb wasn't broken apart and the cloves separated.

If you're asking about digging it later than you should have.... You end up with bad wrappers on the bulb. It generally just falls apart into individual cloves. Makes it hard to dry and store, cuts storage life.

As Waldo points out, the garlic will grow again the following year, but the cloves are so crowded inside the bulb that if you don't separate them for planting, you end up with a small bulb from each garlic clove.  

I will update this thread soon with some pictures.  I got some good pictures of the "flowers" I got from not cutting off some of the scapes.  Each flower has many "bulbettes" or mini-bulbs of garlic.  These can be planted like regular garlic cloves, but it can take 2 to 3 years to get a full-size bulb out of it.  I just did this out of curiosity.  

There are also true garlic seeds apparently as explained to me.  If you remove all the bulbettes from the flower, you get true flowers that then produce seeds.  I'll do more research on this as it sounds interesting purely from an academic standpoint.  For our purposes, we should stick to planting garlic cloves.  One exception, though, is if you have a bad soil pathogen against your garlic, you can let it flower and then harvest the bulbettes which will be free of the soil pathogen.

Yep, both onions and garlic propagate both ways--by the bulbs and by seeds.  But nobody I know grows onions from seed.  
If you do that, definitely document it.  As a plantswoman I'd be really interested in seeing that happen.

I thought in a recent onion thread that people were comparing onion sets to seeds.  I would never bother with seeds given the short season here.

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 11:54:47 AM EDT
[#34]

Quick update:  08/21/2015

I harvested the last few bulbs that I let the scapes grow on.  The bulbs had no wrapping around them and some fell apart as would be expected when harvesting so late in the season.  I collected the bulbettes that formed and I'll get some pictures up of them and compare the bulbs that were harvested mid-July vs yesterday (08/20/2015).  I only did it with 4 random varieties.  

In reading about bulbettes, I may try growing some to garlic bulbs, but it apparently takes 2 to 3 years!

You can also get true garlic seeds but it's more complicated.  You have to pluck out all the bulbettes and apparently it will flower.  Someone may know more about this.  I will read up on it.  

I'll also post some pictures of the Walking Onion harvest.  

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 11:29:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:29:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Wow, found a whopper of a clove to plant for next year. I was cracking open some heads to season tomato sauce before canning it last night and a shocker was found. A single clove about the side of a golf-ball weighing 19 grams... It was about 1/3 of the entire head of garlic. I'll save that clove for the fall planting... see if I can get a giant head next year...

They probably were making that comparison, because that's the only really viable way to grow onions as far as I know.

Nobody I know would fool with seeds,  even in a long season.  But just for sake of learnin'---there is "such a thing."  

I know onions go to seed ONLY because of growing up watching them get left in the garden and seeing the seed heads form and sometimes run their full course, and I noticed that ONLY because even as a little girl, I was endlessly curious about how the world worked.  But it was always either "onion sets" or the full size onions  that got planted, bought from Southern States, or ordered from a catalog.  

I'm guessing only onion breeders would worry with onion seeds.  

Dang. I thought I was gonna get to see something interesting or maybe had found somebody else as geeky curious as me.
View All Quotes

Yep, both onions and garlic propagate both ways--by the bulbs and by seeds.  But nobody I know grows onions from seed.  [/span]If you do that, definitely document it.  As a plantswoman I'd be really interested in seeing that happen.

I thought in a recent onion thread that people were comparing onion sets to seeds.  I would never bother with seeds given the short season here.

[span style='font-style: italic;']Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile[/span]

They probably were making that comparison, because that's the only really viable way to grow onions as far as I know.

Nobody I know would fool with seeds,  even in a long season.  But just for sake of learnin'---there is "such a thing."  

I know onions go to seed ONLY because of growing up watching them get left in the garden and seeing the seed heads form and sometimes run their full course, and I noticed that ONLY because even as a little girl, I was endlessly curious about how the world worked.  But it was always either "onion sets" or the full size onions  that got planted, bought from Southern States, or ordered from a catalog.  

Dang. I thought I was gonna get to see something interesting or maybe had found somebody else as geeky curious as me.

The post I saw the poster claimed this his onion grown from seed, side-by-side to onion sets did MUCH better than the sets. It was posted here ~2-3 weeks ago I think.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:39:00 PM EDT
[#37]

Wow, found a whopper of a clove to plant for next year. I was cracking open some heads to season tomato sauce before canning it last night and a shocker was found. A single clove about the side of a golf-ball weighing 19 grams... It was about 1/3 of the entire head of garlic. I'll save that clove for the fall planting... see if I can get a giant head next year...
The post I saw the poster claimed this his onion grown from seed, side-by-side to onion sets did MUCH better than the sets. It was posted here ~2-3 weeks ago I think.

View All Quotes

Yep, both onions and garlic propagate both ways--by the bulbs and by seeds.  But nobody I know grows onions from seed.  [/span]If you do that, definitely document it.  As a plantswoman I'd be really interested in seeing that happen.

[span style='font-style: italic;']Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile[/span]

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_19/680291_growing_onions.html

Third post in that thread.  Remembered it because of Dixondale farms.  Best onion website I have found thus far.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:23:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By samiam513:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_19/680291_growing_onions.html
Third post in that thread.  Remembered it because of Dixondale farms.  Best onion website I have found thus far.

View Quote

I think there was a more recent thread. It may have been posted by that guy but I'm not positive. Either way, I'm not a team-member anymore so I don't have all the bells & whistles for search options...
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 4:02:59 PM EDT
[#39]

I harvested the garlic bulbs with the flower/bulbettes a few weeks ago.  I'll get the pictures posted up of the latter as well as the other garlic.  There is no wrapping left around the bulbs as expected.  

I'll also get pictures of the Walking onions.  Not much to see but people can use it as a reference.  I have both the bulbs at the tips of the stocks as well as the main root in the ground.

I'm slowly getting the beds ready for fall planting for both the garlic and Walking onions.  I grew second crops of yellow beans and radishes.  I've kind of ignored them.  The beans grew well but the radishes got hit hard with Cabbage worms.  Those are super easy to kill but I didn't get around to it and lost a lot.  The radishes were a summer variety called Hungarian Summer radish that you plant mid-summer and harvest in the fall.

I'm thinking of making some garlic powder which sounds pretty easy.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 4:45:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:40:41 PM EDT
[#41]

I'm getting my garlic beds ready for planting. My Tibetan planting stock came in so I'll have two types now.

I'll probably plant next week even though it's early as I'm heading back to the mountains.  Eh, if it grows too much top, I'll just straw it deeper.

It's pretty hardy.
View Quote

I think the worst-case scenario is the bulbs may not get as big.  But it may be a great growing season and not make any difference.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 8:05:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 5:06:01 PM EDT
[#43]
I've read that I shouldn't plant garlic between 80-90f.  Is that true?

I got my order today and temps are still up there.  Plus cotton is growing where the garlic will go

How can I store the garlic for ~ a month?  House is kept between 75 and 78, I have a fridge, and a freezer that does not defrost.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 7:39:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By samiam513:
I've read that I shouldn't plant garlic between 80-90f.  Is that true?

I got my order today and temps are still up there.  Plus cotton is growing where the garlic will go

How can I store the garlic for ~ a month?  House is kept between 75 and 78, I have a fridge, and a freezer that does not defrost.
View Quote

Store it in a cool, dark place, don't freeze it.

Don't plant it yet, it's just now approaching time to plant garlic for the northern states, you'll be several weeks behind us... I normally plant mid-October here is So. IN.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:35:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Just spoke to whistlingduckfarm.com because I was looking for some creole garlic.  They still have a few different varieties if anyone is looking.

I have no affiliation with them.  Never even planted garlic before if you couldn't tell
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:42:50 PM EDT
[#46]

I'm going to update this thread soon with pictures of my harvest, bulbs left in the ground that were left to flower, and preparation for next year's crop (my wife hates it when I use the word "crop" because she thinks I'm posing as a farmer).  This weekend should be perfect for planting.  I got one new variety so I will likely be planting 8 varieties of hardneck garlic.

Link Posted: 10/17/2015 9:55:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C-4] [#47]
Update:  10/17/2015  Pics of garlic harvest, flowers and preps for planting.  Walking onions too!

So here is the haul for this year.  I am re-posting the picture of the order in which they were planted and the actual harvest.  It's a neat pair of pictures I think.  I did take close-ups of each variety but unless someone wants me to post those, you get the idea.  I'm going to take the largest cloves from each of the 7 varieties and re-plant tomorrow if all goes well.

The only new variety I'm adding is Chesnock Red I bought recently.  So that will bring it up to 8 varieties total.  I'd say the Music and Siberian did the best.  All the varieties are hardneck.

As promised, I took pictures of both the "flowers" and the bulbs.  Please read the next sentence carefully.  There are true garlic flowers.  These can be seen between the bulbettes which are tiny little bulbs that grow in a cluster at the end of the hardneck garlic scapes.  The flowers will only develop into seeds, apparently, if you carefully remove all the bulbettes.  You then have flowers go to seed and can have true garlic seeds.  You can also, of course, plant the garlic bulbettes.  These tiny bulbs can take from 2 to 4 years to develop into garlic bulbs.  However, the vast majority of people plant the cloves.

This is not my picture (all other pictures in this post are mine) but one of someone removing the bulbettes to allow for normal flower development.

As is often posted here, if you wait too long to harvest the garlic bulbs, the paper wrappings around the bulb will rot away and you won't have anything holding the bulbs together.  I randomly left some of the scapes on a few plants (pictures posted earlier in the thread).  I took pictures of the normally harvested bulbs, bulbs that have been allowed to grow bulbettes, and the bulbettes themselves.  If I had more time, I would try growing bulbettes into garlic bulbs.  It would certainly be an interesting project for someone more patient than I am.  On to the pictures:

Siberian with normally harvested bulb, bulb left in the ground and bulbettes

Korean Mountain.  You can see the bulb on the bottom right had the cloves come apart.  So you really should be careful about harvesting at the right time.  It's probably better to go early than to wait too late.

Killarney Red

Georgian Fire.  I did notice that the bulbs, even harvested this late, could be kept together if you were careful about digging around it and gently bringing it to the surface.  Normally I just yank them up.  You can see the flowers better in this picture.  Again, unless you remove the bulbettes with tweezers, the flowers will fail to go to seed well.

Walking Onions.  I'm very happy with these even though by weight it's not a lot of onions.  I have a difficult time growing onions for some reason.  I am going to try again this next spring.  I will definitely be re-planting the Walking Onions just in a different location.  It really worked out well and I'd highly recommend them to anyone.  The roots are on the left and the bulbs at the end of the stalks are on the right.  Ignore the stuff above the roots.  Those are dried edemame/soybean seed pods.

More pictures to come as this year's planting gets underway.

Link Posted: 10/17/2015 11:16:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 11:27:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Skills.

You guys got em.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 1:34:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: samiam513] [#50]

snip

This is not my picture (all other pictures in this post are mine) but one of someone removing the bulbettes to allow for normal flower development.

snip
View Quote
You mean you don't have a garlic tattoo on your middle finger?  
Awesome harvest too!  Seems like if you started a garlic farm bulbettes would be the way to go in the beginning if you didn't have enough cloves for your property.  Looks like there are a ton on each flower.

Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top