Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 4/5/2015 10:14:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: C-4]
I didn't update my garlic thread and so it was archived.  Here is a link to the old one which has a link to the other archived one before that.

Pictures below from the fall planting and updated to today.

11-08-2014

04-05-2015  The garlic bed was covered with 6"+ of straw in the fall.

This is the layout of the varieties I planted, a total of 102 cloves divided among the following varieties.  They are all hardneck varieties because they tend to like the cold more than softneck and I also like to eat the scapes which only hardnecks produce well.

1) Music
2) German Extra Hardy
3) Siberian
4) Leningrad
5) Georgian Fire
6) Korean Mountain
7) Killarney Red

To the left, I also planted Walking Onions.  I will likely start a separate thread on those.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 9:30:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Rookie question alert.

Should my garlic have already been planted last fall?  Or could I throw it in the ground this spring?
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 10:40:31 AM EDT
[#2]
You can throw it in the ground right now.  It is 'better' if you plant earlier, but, my parents have a native/wild garlic that grows in the Texas summer as well.

The variety you choose will be a factor, but, you did not miss the boat.

TRG
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheRedGoat:
You can throw it in the ground right now.  It is 'better' if you plant earlier, but, my parents have a native/wild garlic that grows in the Texas summer as well.

The variety you choose will be a factor, but, you did not miss the boat.

TRG
View Quote

+1

You can still plant and I believe I actually saw some at the garden center.  They are usually planted in the fall so you get a head start on things and get bigger bulbs, but you will still get a yield and it is worth trying out.  If you are not very successful, I would definitely plant again in the fall.  I like fall planting also because I get a head start on planting.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:04:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I have to ask the wife if we planted any garlic last fall or not, we normally do but this year time kind of got away from us.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 5:37:00 PM EDT
[#5]

My garlic patch. Took the picture Sunday between the rainfall. Should rain all week
I need to work one of my raised beds so I can plant some squash. and peppers
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:05:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By passgas55:
http://i62.tinypic.com/2s1lsnr.jpg

My garlic patch. Took the picture Sunday between the rainfall. Should rain all week
I need to work one of my raised beds so I can plant some squash. and peppers
View Quote

The ground is still frozen in mine.  Although thawing quickly.  I am going to remove some of the straw as I
remember last year it was a little thick from being flattened.  Then I can add some straw back in between the plants.

I'm very excited about this year since I really put a lot of effort into the soil to get it right, and I tried to time the planting
at the best time.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 1:03:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Passgass is that a watering system in your raised beds? If so details?
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 2:22:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Tagging for interest... I've never grown it, always discarded it as something silly to grow when you can get it at the grocery store for $.50 year round, but I'm starting to change my opinion. There are quite a few varieties I'd like to try and it seems like they are pretty low maintenance...
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 3:45:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By MrZeat:
Tagging for interest... I've never grown it, always discarded it as something silly to grow when you can get it at the grocery store for $.50 year round, but I'm starting to change my opinion. There are quite a few varieties I'd like to try and it seems like they are pretty low maintenance...
View Quote

It is definitely low maintenance, especially if you put something down to keep the weeds from growing.  It's also resistant to many pests.  If you grow hardneck, you also get the bonus of scapes.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 5:57:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By sigpros:
Passgass is that a watering system in your raised beds? If so details?
View Quote

All pvc with each riser having a 1/2" threaded ball valve . That way I can control how much water if any at all the
risers. The risers are threaded 1/2"  with the sprinkle heads 360 degrees spray from homedepot. The sprinkle heads are about 2 bucks a piece.
All are tied together with a main valve for control. Simple and cheap set up that works well when needed. Right now i don't need it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 6:06:08 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

I was the same way too. Then I start to read how the garlic is sprayed with chemicals to keep from growing in the stores.
I also heard rumors a lot of garlic comes from China.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 6:51:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow those look great guys. I guess its good that I don't have photos of mine, my 8 little plants just embarrass me now. some day ill have a garden as good as the rest of you.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 6:39:17 PM EDT
[#13]

I was the same way too. Then I start to read how the garlic is sprayed with chemicals to keep from growing in the stores.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That is correct.  If the roots are trimmed on the bulb, chances are they are from China.  A lot of powdered garlic comes from China.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:00:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:19:08 PM EDT
[#15]
It's my first year and I'm really excited about it. Bad thing is I planted to light. Will do more next year.

Thanks on the watering info
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 11:53:18 PM EDT
[#16]
First year of garlic, but just starting to get the soil warmed up here! Hopefully I start to see them poking up soon!
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 5:34:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm back and so is the garlic! Finally told the boss to shove it and now all do is run my own business (as if that's easy). I should have more time to post all the garlicky goodness including some pics of this year once I get another sunny day.

Garlic is up through the straw already and it looks to be another early year, although that hasn't really affected my harvest date in the past. I was forced to pare it down a little from last year because I didn't really have time to plant last fall. In fact, I didn't get the garlic in until December when we had a thaw and I'm a little lucky we had that thaw so I could get it in.

This year I have 16 Metechi, 64 Georgian Fire, 32 Asian Tempest and 24 Music plants. The wife and I really like the hotter garlic so that's why we have more Geo Fire and Asian Tempest.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:01:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C-4] [#18]
Originally Posted By Eagle_19er:
I'm back and so is the garlic! Finally told the boss to shove it and now all do is run my own business (as if that's easy). I should have more time to post all the garlicky goodness including some pics of this year once I get another sunny day.

Garlic is up through the straw already and it looks to be another early year, although that hasn't really affected my harvest date in the past. I was forced to pare it down a little from last year because I didn't really have time to plant last fall. In fact, I didn't get the garlic in until December when we had a thaw and I'm a little lucky we had that thaw so I could get it in.

This year I have 16 Metechi, 64 Georgian Fire, 32 Asian Tempest and 24 Music plants. The wife and I really like the hotter garlic so that's why we have more Geo Fire and Asian Tempest.

View Quote

Glad you're back!

I'll get pictures of mine up as well.  I carefully took the straw off as I had it pretty thick.  I am going to replace it between the rows carefully.  

I really like hot garlic as well so I'll probably have to take a look at the Asian Tempest.  I have Georgian Fire (and others) you gave me and re-planted some of those bulbs as you can see in the photo in the OP.

IM sent

ETA:  The Walking Onions I planted in the early fall 2014 are also up.  I will get pictures of those as well.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:02:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:03:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Waldo:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=76023

It's still chilly here at night. The asparagus hasn't  come up yet.
View Quote

Those are waaaay  taller than mine.  I'll definitely get pictures up this weekend.  

My asparagus is completely dormant.  My rhubarb has broke the surface and there are palm-sized leaves.  My blackberries are starting to open.  Blueberries are starting as well.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:50:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Waldo] [#21]
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:46:52 PM EDT
[#22]
" />

" />

This is my 1st season planting garlic.  I'm zone 6A and put Music, Riesing & German Extra Hardy hardnecks in last fall.  What do I do now ??
Should I cut back all the scapes now and let them come back or do I just pick and choose and selectively harvest ?  Any advice from the
garlic pros would be appreciated.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:20:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Waldo] [#23]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:34:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:13:02 PM EDT
[#25]

I don't see any scapes in those pics. I've you're in NYS,  mulch and leave them be. You probably won't see scapes until June.
You dig the plants when about the bottom 1/3 of the leaves have browned. Usually early-mid July here with hardnecks.

ETA, this is what a scape looks like,,the curly thing.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=30064

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By no_1:
http://<a href=http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w660/no_-_1/garlic1_zpsuaopnwpu.jpg</a>" />

http://<a href=http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w660/no_-_1/garlic2_zpsx7cvjhvj.jpg</a>" />

This is my 1st season planting garlic.  I'm zone 6A and put Music, Riesing & German Extra Hardy hardnecks in last fall.  What do I do now ??
Should I cut back all the scapes now and let them come back or do I just pick and choose and selectively harvest ?  Any advice from the
garlic pros would be appreciated.

I don't see any scapes in those pics. I've you're in NYS,  mulch and leave them be. You probably won't see scapes until June.
You dig the plants when about the bottom 1/3 of the leaves have browned. Usually early-mid July here with hardnecks.

ETA, this is what a scape looks like,,the curly thing.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=30064

Ahhh I see, the curly thing    I thought the green leaves were scapes.  Thanks for clearing that up.  So I'll mulch them and leave them be.
Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:52:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By no_1:

Ahhh I see, the curly thing
   I thought the green leaves were scapes.  Thanks for clearing that up.  So I'll mulch them and leave them be.
Thanks for the help.
View Quote

Just some more pictures of scapes to add to Waldo's.  These are from mine last year:

Link Posted: 5/9/2015 10:15:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C-4] [#27]

Update:  05/09/2015 Page 2

This is the garlic as of ? 2 days ago.  Those are pots with Sea Buckthorn Berries (also called Seaberries).

I may start a separate thread on Walking Onions at the end of the season, but for now I'll post some pictures of them in this thread.  They're doing well.  There are 4 rows of 5 plants each, so count 4 rows up from my feet.

There was quite a bit of difference in bulb size when I planted them in the fall of 2014, so some are bigger than others.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 1:45:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C-4] [#28]
Update: 05/25/2015 Garlic and Walking Onions, Page 2

Looking pretty good so far:

Scattered through some of the leaves are yellow ends.  I don't recall having this before.  I did a quick search and found this.

Yellow tips are such a common garlic phenomenon that many consider it “normal.” They can be caused by any number of stressors: a hard winter, a warm spell followed by a freezing spell, mild nutrient deficiencies or imbalances, too much or too little water; a little of this and that. I don’t worry about yellow tips. My garlics usually get them. Everything I read says that unless they are extreme, yields should not be affected.
View Quote

I did fertilize with 10/20/10.  I may sprinkle a little Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate).

Also, here are my Walking Onions. They are looking good:

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 12:01:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 1:28:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Mine are starting to push scapes on a few of the larger plants...

My walking onions don't look nearly as good, but I also got them out a bit late (couldn't find where I had put them)... they are doing ok now, I'll just have a lean year I guess...

Link Posted: 6/2/2015 12:20:32 AM EDT
[#31]

Mine on 6/1. Should start to push scapes soon, I'd think.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=77070
View Quote

Nice!  Despite a really hard winter, things are progressing well.

Link Posted: 6/2/2015 12:23:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By SigOwner_P229:

My walking onions don't look nearly as good, but I also got them out a bit late (couldn't find where I had put them)... they are doing ok now, I'll just have a lean year I guess...

View Quote

I planted mine last fall so that's probably why they are doing reasonably well.  They've started to "flower".  I'm not sure I need to do anything else at this point other than watering.  We've had several days of rain so things are looking good in terms of moisture.

Link Posted: 6/2/2015 7:24:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 7:31:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By C-4:

I planted mine last fall so that's probably why they are doing reasonably well.  They've started to "flower".  I'm not sure I need to do anything else at this point other than watering.  We've had several days of rain so things are looking good in terms of moisture.

View All Quotes

I didn't get mine until it was too late to plant last fall so I had to hold them over winter in the garage. I may have got them from you; I know I got them from somebody here on arfcom...
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#35]

I didn't get mine until it was too late to plant last fall so I had to hold them over winter in the garage. I may have got them from you; I know I got them from somebody here on arfcom...
View All Quotes

I remember reading that but it wasn't me as I hadn't started growing them.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 5:56:08 PM EDT
[#36]

I think I'm going to try planting some of those walking onions this fall when I plant my garlic. They might be my best bet for onions as I normally can't get in and work my garden early enough in the spring to plant normal onions.
View Quote

I'll get pictures up soon to show the flowers.  It would seem real slick to get them in the fall like garlic.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 8:08:16 AM EDT
[#37]

Update 06/10/2015:  Walking Onions flowering and Scapes up!

First, the Walking Onions.  They are "flowering".  This is exciting!

Scapes (garlic flowers) are starting.  Obviously still too early to cut them:

Link Posted: 6/10/2015 5:45:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: roc762] [#38]
I made a pesto with some of my scapes 2 days ago, good stuff. https://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/199868/garlic-scape-pesto/
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 9:07:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 10:42:10 PM EDT
[#40]

That's about the only thing they're good for, IMHO. Put them in a food processor. To fibrous to eat otherwise.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By roc762:
I made a pesto with some of my scapes 2 days ago, good stuff. https://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/199868/garlic-scape-pesto/

That's about the only thing they're good for, IMHO. Put them in a food processor. To fibrous to eat otherwise.

Get them when they're still young and they are great sauteed like a green bean and put on a steak! YUMMMMM
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 5:39:12 PM EDT
[#41]
I've had pickled scapes which were really really yummy.  I just picked a handful of scapes upon reading this.  Didn't plant too much garlic this year but definitely will next time.  How soon after picking off the scapes will the garlic be ready to harvest?
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 9:16:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Addicted2Fish:
I've had pickled scapes which were really really yummy.  I just picked a handful of scapes upon reading this.  Didn't plant too much garlic this year but definitely will next time.  How soon after picking off the scapes will the garlic be ready to harvest?
View Quote

Generally 3-4 weeks. You'll notice that the lower leaves start to brown and shrivel up. Generally you'll have between 10-12 leaves on the plant. I harvest when half are brown.

Each leaf is a layer of the thin papery skin found on dried garlic. You're looking to have enough layers to protect the cloves and prevent dehydration as long as possible but if you have too many layers, the bulb hasn't necessarily filled out all the way and you lose garlicky goodness.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 9:29:54 PM EDT
[#43]

Generally 3-4 weeks. You'll notice that the lower leaves start to brown and shrivel up. Generally you'll have between 10-12 leaves on the plant. I harvest when half are brown.

Each leaf is a layer of the thin papery skin found on dried garlic. You're looking to have enough layers to protect the cloves and prevent dehydration as long as possible but if you have too many layers, the bulb hasn't necessarily filled out all the way and you lose garlicky goodness.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Addicted2Fish:

Good to know.  I cut all my scapes off today.  I left 3 just out of curiosity to see what the flowers look like.  I planted 102 and only 1 didn't make it.  It grew maybe 6" and then started dying.  Not sure what happened to it.  I will get pictures up since I took a bunch today.

My Copra onions are growing very slowly.  Walking onions and shallots are looking solid.

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 10:31:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Garlic is said to be daylight dependent, meaning after the summer solstice as the days get shorter, the plant "knows" it's going to die so it reacts by filling out the bulb, which is its primary form of procreation . The act of filling it out causes energy and nutrients to to be diverted from the lower leaves, hence they brown and die.

Half brown or slightly less than half brown is the prefect time to harvest as the plant is still very strong but its at about the max size it will be.

Hardnecks are more primitive than softnecks meaning they haven't had a lot of their natural traits bred out of them for conventional farming.
Some of those are a flower stalk and distinct flavor between cultivars. Depending on the cultivar, you'll get anywhere between 20 and 200ish garlic seeds in a mature scape, most of which are viable seeds and will very quickly increase your stock if you so choose. They do take 2 years of growth to produce a full size bulb though.

Hardneck garlic left to go wild will reproduce by both cloves and seeds. The seeds being spread farther than the parent plant but retaining the exact same genetics as the parent plant.

C-4, did you inspect the one that died? Since you plant in the same bed every year, soon you may have to be careful about pests and fungus that build up in your soil. Rotation is the best way to minimize it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 11:35:25 PM EDT
[#45]
I sent some walking onions to someone here.  i can probably ship some more out later this year if need be.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 12:00:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By mr_mojo_risin:
I sent some walking onions to someone here.  i can probably ship some more out later this year if need be.
View Quote

I think someone mentioned it on the first page.  I can also send some out if mine are successful.  Timing would be perfect for fall planting.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 12:02:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Garlic is said to be daylight dependent, meaning after the summer solstice as the days get shorter, the plant "knows" it's going to die so it reacts by filling out the bulb, which is its primary form of procreation . The act of filling it out causes energy and nutrients to to be diverted from the lower leaves, hence they brown and die.

Half brown or slightly less than half brown is the prefect time to harvest as the plant is still very strong but its at about the max size it will be.

Hardnecks are more primitive than softnecks meaning they haven't had a lot of their natural traits bred out of them for conventional farming.
Some of those are a flower stalk and distinct flavor between cultivars. Depending on the cultivar, you'll get anywhere between 20 and 200ish garlic seeds in a mature scape, most of which are viable seeds and will very quickly increase your stock if you so choose. They do take 2 years of growth to produce a full size bulb though.

Hardneck garlic left to go wild will reproduce by both cloves and seeds. The seeds being spread farther than the parent plant but retaining the exact same genetics as the parent plant.

C-4, did you inspect the one that died? Since you plant in the same bed every year, soon you may have to be careful about pests and fungus that build up in your soil. Rotation is the best way to minimize it.
View Quote

Thanks for the additional information.  I will take a look at the dying/dead one.  I will plant in my "lower" garden in the fall.  I did rotate the location but stayed in the "upper" garden.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 12:28:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Cool, it's hard to tell from your pictures that you rotate. I thought it was all in the same spot in the upper garden

I could describe some of the diseases I've read about and seen but a google search for garlic disease pictures will yield much better results lol.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 12:49:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By mr_mojo_risin:
View Quote

Same here. I have some growing that have been passed down through the generations from my mother's great grandfather back in PA. He called them Egyptian Onions but they are what everyone else calls walking onions. Eventually you'll realize they just grow like weeds and you'll be digging the excess and throwing them out back on the compost pile where they'll grow even better than in the garden and creep out into the yard and they'll remind you of their existence every time you mow past the compost pile. But seriously though, if anyone wants some, I'll be glad to send you a few heads later this summer when they start setting heads.. I'll try to get some pics if it ever quits raining here. We've have over 7" in the last 8 days.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 12:12:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Cool, it's hard to tell from your pictures that you rotate. I thought it was all in the same spot in the upper garden

I could describe some of the diseases I've read about and seen but a google search for garlic disease pictures will yield much better results lol.
View Quote

I'm growing the Cascade Ruby Gold flint corn where the garlic was last year.  Well, technically, I am growing the garlic where it was last year because it was planted in the fall (2014).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top