Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/4/2015 12:33:42 AM EDT
You guys were great and gave me all kinds of info when I posted up a couple months ago about my wife's desire to own goats.

She is an amazing lady that I love dearly so of course she gets anything that she wants that I am able to provide to her.  Tomorrow am we are driving two hours to pick up here two baby Nigerian dwarf goats, pics below.  

Just wanted to say thank you for all the help in the previous thread, wanted to post in that thread but it was archived.

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 10:05:48 AM EDT
[#1]
How much did they cost?  Also, what kind off fencing do you have.?  I have been toying with the idea of getting goats for milk.  We go through a gallon a day.  Don't know if I would really save money but I like hobbies.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 10:48:24 AM EDT
[#2]
The farmer who I got mine told me 'If you throw bucket of water at the fence and it goes through, then goat will go through it too."  I found that out the hard way.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 1:57:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How much did they cost?  Also, what kind off fencing do you have.?  I have been toying with the idea of getting goats for milk.  We go through a gallon a day.  Don't know if I would really save money but I like hobbies.
View Quote

Fence constructed of 2 x 4 in welded wire and lumber.  They were not cheap, $325 a piece...apparently they are registered like a dog and all this jazz, as it turns out goat people are weird.  

It cost me way more money to set up for them than I thought it would, including the goats I am closing in on 2K.

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 1:59:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

The farmer who I got mine told me 'If you throw bucket of water at the fence and it goes through, then goat will go through it too."  I found that out the hard way.
View Quote
The fence seems to be working so far, on hour five of having them.  My biggest concern is that the dogs seem to want to kill them.  Not entirely sure if the fence will keep out my 200lb great dane.  He is on an e-collar and freaking rode the lightning like a champion this am.  He is normally totally laid back but these things must scream, "come eat me, I am tasty."

They are much smaller than I anticipated.  The lady the we purchased them from delivered them together, in a single cat carrier.  Will get pics up later.

So far though, they are super cool little things.  If you take one and move it more than three feet from the other they go crazy.

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 2:34:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I recall a thread here recently about Great Danes and goats.  Danes seem to have a thing for killing goats.

Eta - was an alpaca.  Lots of discussion though on Danes and livestock.

dane killed alpaca thread
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 3:37:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I recall a thread here recently about Great Danes and goats.  Danes seem to have a thing for killing goats.

Eta - was an alpaca.  Lots of discussion though on Danes and livestock.

dane killed alpaca thread
View Quote
Yep.

I don't get it, he never goes after anything, not even cats, but damn does he want these goats.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 5:07:17 PM EDT
[#7]
OP wife is wanting more pictures please.......
$325??? Wow I see them for $25 to $50 why so much?
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 5:25:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

OP wife is wanting more pictures please.......

$325??? Wow I see them for $25 to $50 why so much?
View Quote
Idk, either the type of goat or our area.  I have seen them locally between 250 and 500 for this type of goat.

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 5:26:19 PM EDT
[#9]
the nigerian dwarves produce such a rich milk though. I hope you guys intend to make butter and cheese, or do a lot of straining.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 5:32:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

the nigerian dwarves produce such a rich milk though. I hope you guys intend to make butter and cheese, or do a lot of straining.
View Quote

I have heard that if you do not breed them they never produce milk, any truth to that?

We are only a couple hours into it, just trying to keep them alive at this point.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 5:33:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks they look great.
I don't mind paying $500 if it gives me a better goat I guess I need to do more research.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 5:35:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Thanks they look great.

I don't mind paying $500 if it gives me a better goat I guess I need to do more research.
View Quote
Hopefully someone wiser chimes in, I couldn't tell you much more than I have already shared unfortunately.  If we breed them I will ship you one out.

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 5:36:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have heard that if you do not breed them they never produce milk, any truth to that?

We are only a couple hours into it, just trying to keep them alive at this point.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct. They will produce a few months after breeding and their production will decrease drastically around 7-9 months afterwards. Let them alone with their kids for the first 8 weeks and then go back to milking as usual.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Should have gone with Baby Doll sheep, twice as cute and a fraction of the fencing requirements.

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 6:08:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Should have gone with Baby Doll sheep, twice as cute and a fraction of the fencing requirements.

<a href="http://s213.photobucket.com/user/kallnojoy/media/20140607_111246_zpsinqyxy5o.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc101/kallnojoy/20140607_111246_zpsinqyxy5o.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s213.photobucket.com/user/kallnojoy/media/10012966_442579919178359_1227911487_o_zps21153c75.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc101/kallnojoy/10012966_442579919178359_1227911487_o_zps21153c75.jpg</a>  
View Quote

What the heck are those? I had a fantastic lamb dinner at a seder last night and it has started me thinking......
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 6:12:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

What the heck are those? I had a fantastic lamb dinner at a seder last night and it has started me thinking......
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

<a href="http://s213.photobucket.com/user/kallnojoy/media/20140607_111246_zpsinqyxy5o.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc101/kallnojoy/20140607_111246_zpsinqyxy5o.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s213.photobucket.com/user/kallnojoy/media/10012966_442579919178359_1227911487_o_zps21153c75.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc101/kallnojoy/10012966_442579919178359_1227911487_o_zps21153c75.jpg</a>  

http://www.oldeenglishbabydollregistry.com/about_the_breed.htm

One
                       of the oldest of the English breeds of sheep is the
                       Southdown, originating on the South Down hills of Sussex
                       County, England.  These small sheep were know for their
                       extreme hardiness and produced meat with unmatched
                       tenderness and flavor then any other breed of sheep.

In
                       1780 John Ellman, realized the potential of these
                       animals and set out to standardize the Southdown breed.

In
                       England, these small Southdowns grew in popularity up
                       until 1908 when there were approximately 367 registered
                       flocks totaling about 110,000 ewes.  The growth in this
                       breed's development slowed in the early 1900s as World
                       War I brought a sharp decline in their numbers.  By the
                       end of the World War II, the demand for larger cuts of
                       meat had almost forced the breed into extinction.

It
                       is believed that the breed reached the United States in
                       1803.  Their popularity grew and later declined in nearly
                       the same pattern that had occurred in England.  The small
                       Southdown could not satisfy the consumer demand for
                       larger meat cuts.  This was a significant factor in the
                       development and mass production of the larger, leggier
                       Southdown of today.  This divergence from the original
                       breed standards was the beginning of what would later
                       become two distinct lines: The Southdown and the
                       miniature (or original) Southdown.  In breeding for these
                       larger characteristics however, many of the original
                       "miniature" attributes were bred out and
                       nearly lost.  Each year brought a further decline in the
                       number of these "original" Southdowns.

In
                       1986, Mr. Robert Mock began a search for the sheep with
                       the original blood lines that conformed to the
                       original Southdown of the 1700s.  Finding them
                       proved to be difficult.  At one point they were believed
                       to be extinct.  After a four-year search, two small
                       flocks totaling 26 sheep were located; however, this
                       group would not be able to provide a sustainable gene
                       pool.  After further extensive searching, a total of 350 of these
                       miniature sheep were located.  Many of them still carried
                       their original Southdown registration papers.

To
                       distinguish these small sheep from the larger modern-era
                       Southdown, Mr. Mock named them �Olde English Babydoll
                       Southdowns."  To keep this line pure, a registry
                       was formed.  Only adults two years and older were
                       accepted so that they could be judged against the
                       original conformation standards as verified by a
                       veterinarian.  Each sheep's registration application was
                       passed before a board of three members of the Breed
                       Association.  After this initial review and acceptance
                       period, the "Foundation Flock" registry was
                       closed in 1991.  

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 6:18:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

One                        of the oldest of the English breeds of sheep is the                        Southdown, originating on the South Down hills of Sussex                        County, England.  These small sheep were know for their                        extreme hardiness and produced meat with unmatched                        tenderness and flavor then any other breed of sheep.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

One                        of the oldest of the English breeds of sheep is the                        Southdown, originating on the South Down hills of Sussex                        County, England.  These small sheep were know for their                        extreme hardiness and produced meat with unmatched                        tenderness and flavor then any other breed of sheep.

In                        1780 John Ellman, realized the potential of these                        animals and set out to standardize the Southdown breed.                         In                        England, these small Southdowns grew in popularity up                        until 1908 when there were approximately 367 registered                        flocks totaling about 110,000 ewes.  The growth in this                        breed's development slowed in the early 1900s as World                        War I brought a sharp decline in their numbers.  By the                        end of the World War II, the demand for larger cuts of                        meat had almost forced the breed into extinction.

It                        is believed that the breed reached the United States in                        1803.  Their popularity grew and later declined in nearly                        the same pattern that had occurred in England.  The small                        Southdown could not satisfy the consumer demand for                        larger meat cuts.  This was a significant factor in the                        development and mass production of the larger, leggier                        Southdown of today.  This divergence from the original                        breed standards was the beginning of what would later                        become two distinct lines: The Southdown and the                        miniature (or original) Southdown.  In breeding for these                        larger characteristics however, many of the original                        "miniature" attributes were bred out and                        nearly lost.  Each year brought a further decline in the                        number of these "original" Southdowns.

In                        1986, Mr. Robert Mock began a search for the sheep with                        the original blood lines that conformed to the                        original Southdown of the 1700s.  Finding them                        proved to be difficult.  At one point they were believed                        to be extinct.  After a four-year search, two small                        flocks totaling 26 sheep were located; however, this                        group would not be able to provide a sustainable gene                        pool.  After further extensive searching, a total of 350 of these                        miniature sheep were located.  Many of them still carried                        their original Southdown registration papers.

To                        distinguish these small sheep from the larger modern-era                        Southdown, Mr. Mock named them �Olde English Babydoll                        Southdowns."  To keep this line pure, a registry                        was formed.  Only adults two years and older were                        accepted so that they could be judged against the                        original conformation standards as verified by a                        veterinarian.  Each sheep's registration application was                        passed before a board of three members of the Breed                        Association.  After this initial review and acceptance                        period, the "Foundation Flock" registry was                        closed in 1991.  

The wife isn't into sheep for some reason, wants goats and small pigs.

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 6:29:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:The wife isn't into sheep for some reason, wants goats and small pigs.  
View Quote

You're a wise man for sticking with what she wants!

Eventually I'll get a few goats too - but not looking forward to the fencing demands.

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:08:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Eventually I'll get a few goats too - but not looking forward to the fencing demands.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:The wife isn't into sheep for some reason, wants goats and small pigs.  

I don't know how wise I am, the goats slept in the house last night because, "it is too cold and coyotes might eat them."

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:51:06 AM EDT
[#20]
OMG! they're so cute!!  What pretty babies! I wouldn't let them outside either. Not without an LGD to watch out for them. Precious little things.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 10:27:43 AM EDT
[#21]
A friend of mine had goats for a while - until the bears and coyotes got them.  They had free range on his property. He said goats like to get up on things - like cars for example.  Little goat sized hoof prints and dents all over the cars.  He said he liked them, but he was glad they were gone.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:24:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Goat Update

We had our first goat injury yesterday.  The boss brought his kids over to see them so we wander out back to their pen and there is blood all over the place.  There must have been some rough play and somehow one of them sliced their back leg open pretty badly on a log of all things.  Kids took the petting zoo from hell in stride, wife bandaged up the goat and cried.  Good times.

The goat was favoring the leg pretty heavily yesterday but got up this am and appears to be fine.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 9:34:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Goats are survivors, I'm sure he'll be fine.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 9:41:31 PM EDT
[#24]
We have 2 Nigerian dwarves.

We paid $550 for the pair. They are registered.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:36:07 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

We have 2 Nigerian dwarves.

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv59/bwrairden/03D30345-2F3F-4653-9120-D9CD24D5F4DE.jpg

We paid $550 for the pair. They are registered.
View Quote
Good looking little guys!

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:52:44 AM EDT
[#26]
get a cow bell and ring it like crazy at feeding time..assuming your controlling milk goats intake if youre
planning on drinking it...and

they'll come running once learned behavior

especially when they've gotten thru the fence somewhere and are munching on neighbors prize winning flora....
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Small ruminants in a fixed pen--that area will be a dry lot/mudhole pretty soon.  

How will you counter the disease issues?

Goats are Catch-22.  They need space to graze, but they need watching after close or they end up dead or climbing on somebody's car.  Almost impossible to confine in a large area.  If you keep them in high security pen, they destroy the lot pretty quick.

Have fun and good luck.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 3:16:06 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Small ruminants in a fixed pen--that area will be a dry lot/mudhole pretty soon.  

Goats are Catch-22.  They need space to graze, but they need watching after close or they end up dead or climbing on somebody's car.  Almost impossible to confine in a large area.  If you keep them in high security pen, they destroy the lot pretty quick.

Have fun and good luck.
View Quote
We are learning as we go.  They have a 40 ft by 40 ft pen, then an acre outside of that to screw around in.  They stay in the smaller, more secure pen when we aren't home.

They are so small it is going to take them a while to clear anything, I actually had to take the weed eater to the pen this weekend because the grass/weeds had grown taller than the goats.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:12:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Neat thread. You could always put your goats up on the roof to keep them safe.

(Wisconsin restaurant famous for their goats. They have a live goat cam.)

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Neat thread. You could always put your goats up on the roof to keep them safe.

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz296/KingRat_photos/UpNorthTrip2106.jpg

(Wisconsin restaurant famous for their goats. They have a live goat cam.)

View Quote

When we first moved to the Ozarks we regularly saw stuff that made us facepalm and shake our head.  Goats on a roof, or atop a vehicle was one of them.  We've gotten used to that kind of thing, but just when you think you've seen it all...

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 11:19:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 11:28:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 11:36:47 PM EDT
[#33]
I am pretty tempted to pick one up as a pet although I know absolutely nothing about them other than the chicks dig em Boss bought a pair and they were pretty cute and pooped little pellets like a rabbit. Would be great to have something different.

I have a pretty big back yard as far as city folk yards go. Probably should just stick to dogs
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 11:48:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Have fun and good luck.

View Quote

Where I come from, goats, cows and ponies go on pickets. You move your picket around as the grass gets eaten.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 4:08:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Ok, quick update to those interested or following:

The injured goat, Edna, appears to be fine.  Her leg is healing, still not entirely sure what injured her or how she did it.  She is also getting fatter, noticeably fatter than her sister, which caused my wife to wonder if she was pregnant...she is young, so going to research that tonight to even see if that is possible and try to estimate her general age against what we were told when we purchased her.

Her sister, Muriel, was the anti-social one of the two, but she has come around.  

They are still sleeping in the house in a dog cage at night because, "something will eat them, there is blood everywhere, what about an own?...."  But no big deal really, I go out and get them at 10 pm and they wait for me at the door of their pen.  Scoop up the fat one first, then the skinny one, and we roll back to the house.  They run around for a few minutes then go into the dog crate and curl up with each other and we lock the door.

Dogs still want to eat them.

All in all, they have been pretty easy with the exception of the leg injury which caused major drama around here.  They are only going through a bale of hay at a rate of one bale every two weeks.

It has been a positive experience and they have really been super easy, not sure if this stands for all breeds of goat but these ones really are too small to cause major chaos.  I normally watch them goat around for 30 minutes or so when I come home from work, the shit they do is so funny and definitely a stress reliever.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 6:52:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Glad to see you are still enjoying your goats. They are smart animals and very entertaining as you have found.

I grew up raising meat goats for 4H and we never had issues with them. Your fencing couldn't be full of holes but otherwise they were way easier than the lambs we did a couple of years. Just make sure to keep your dogs away. It sounds like they will rip into your goats if given half a chance.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 8:09:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The injured goat, Edna, appears to be fine.  Her leg is healing, still not entirely sure what injured her or how she did it.  She is also getting fatter, noticeably fatter than her sister, which caused my wife to wonder if she was pregnant...she is young, so going to research that tonight to even see if that is possible and try to estimate her general age against what we were told when we purchased her.

Her sister, Muriel, was the anti-social one of the two, but she has come around.  

They are still sleeping in the house in a dog cage at night because, "something will eat them, there is blood everywhere, what about an own?...."  But no big deal really, I go out and get them at 10 pm and they wait for me at the door of their pen.  Scoop up the fat one first, then the skinny one, and we roll back to the house.  They run around for a few minutes then go into the dog crate and curl up with each other and we lock the door.

All in all, they have been pretty easy with the exception of the leg injury which caused major drama around here.  They are only going through a bale of hay at a rate of one bale every two weeks.

It has been a positive experience and they have really been super easy, not sure if this stands for all breeds of goat but these ones really are too small to cause major chaos.  I normally watch them goat around for 30 minutes or so when I come home from work, the shit they do is so funny and definitely a stress reliever.
View Quote

They sound like so much fun. And they're so darn cute. More goat pics?
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:42:04 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes ma'am, will get some more tomorrow.

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:43:19 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Glad to see you are still enjoying your goats. They are smart animals and very entertaining as you have found.

I grew up raising meat goats for 4H and we never had issues with them. Your fencing couldn't be full of holes but otherwise they were way easier than the lambs we did a couple of years. Just make sure to keep your dogs away. It sounds like they will rip into your goats if given half a chance.
View Quote
Yes, they are definitely cool little girls.

I can't quite figure the dogs out with the goats.  They have never acted like this before, it is like they know they are tasty.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:32:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Sorry about the delay of pics, had to go out of town for work and just got back.  I will get some up in the next day or two.  I did get this picture of the wife's dog.  She sits like this and watches the goats as they play.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:48:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:15:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:15:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 4:04:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

OMG. That's GREAT!

Even though it's goats, that's still perfect.

Will you watermark that so I can steal it?

Please?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s213.photobucket.com/user/kallnojoy/media/20150426_092116_zpszp9nc1xg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc101/kallnojoy/20150426_092116_zpszp9nc1xg.jpg</a>

OMG. That's GREAT!

Please?

I realized my lamb/kid mistake right after posting it.... I keep sheep... and dogs... so I may have been projecting a wee bit because of my own dogs' tendancies!

That said, "kid kabob" gives me a foul mental image... and also reminds me of an Eddie Izzard bit about skewers... but I digress.

It's funny as hell.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:27:36 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I realized my lamb/kid mistake right after posting it.... I keep sheep... and dogs... so I may have been projecting a wee bit because of my own dogs' tendancies!

That said, "kid kabob" gives me a foul mental image... and also reminds me of an Eddie Izzard bit about skewers... but I digress.

It's funny as hell.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<a href="http://s213.photobucket.com/user/kallnojoy/media/20150426_092116_zpszp9nc1xg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc101/kallnojoy/20150426_092116_zpszp9nc1xg.jpg</a>

OMG. That's GREAT!

Please?

It's funny as hell.

Lmao, that is awesome.  

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:43:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Ok, i suck at updating and will get some good pics this weekend.  Here are the girls screwing around in the yard, gives a good indication of how small they really are.  Everything is still good, really enjoying them and thinking about adding a few more.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:38:24 AM EDT
[#47]
OP has containing these monsters been as difficult as people have suggested?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:19:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:21:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not OP but I raised goats growing up.  I can confirm for you that goats are not complete demons.  They are silly and curious but they are far from geniuses or even a smart dog.  

They will escape if you are lazy and have shitty fences that you don't maintain.  They will also escape if you are dumb and have something close to the fence that they can climb. Goats are also  likely to attempt escape if you have them on crappy pasture or in a bare lot like most idiots seem to keep.

TLDR; don't be lazy and be smarter than the goats (not hard to do).  You will get along with them just fine.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 1:18:22 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Not OP but I raised goats growing up.  I can confirm for you that goats are not complete demons.  They are silly and curious but they are far from geniuses or even a smart dog.  

They will escape if you are lazy and have shitty fences that you don't maintain.  They will also escape if you are dumb and have something close to the fence that they can climb. Goats are also  likely to attempt escape if you have them on crappy pasture or in a bare lot like most idiots seem to keep.

TLDR; don't be lazy and be smarter than the goats (not hard to do).  You will get along with them just fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty much this.  They are all of 12 inches high, but they are smart and fairly crafty.  While I don't see them launching over the fence, they do like to pretend like they aren't paying attention and then squirt out.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top